Differences between FM and FM Touch?

Hi all,

I just bought the game for the first time in two years and I'm eager to start playing! However, before I start I want to find out if I should play the full or the Touch version. Simply because I now have three kids and therefore am pretty limited with time. I like using the editor for creating cup tournaments, so it's a massive blow that Touch doesn't support this, but maybe I can live with that for some time at least.

But what else is lacking from Touch? I have started a list - can you help me making it longer?

FM Touch 21 compared to FM 21:

• Allows only up to 50K players database
  • Doesn't support FM ingame editor
  • Doesn't support FM editor
  • Has a faster gameplay
  • Less control over training
  • Less interaction with fans
  • Less interaction with media
  • Less interaction with players

I prefer FM touch. It is limited in terms of leagues and database, but the other things is doesn't have such as player interactions and press conferences, I actually feel make it a better version. I find on the full version just going through the motions and clicking the same answers every time. It's very tedious.

The rest of the game is largely the same. Some stuff is more behind the scenes then on full fat but it's the superior version in my opinion.

It's also super fast

2 minutes ago, trevjim said:

I prefer FM touch. It is limited in terms of leagues and database, but the other things is doesn't have such as player interactions and press conferences, I actually feel make it a better version. I find on the full version just going through the motions and clicking the same answers every time. It's very tedious.

The rest of the game is largely the same. Some stuff is more behind the scenes then on full fat but it's the superior version in my opinion.

It's also super fast

How is Touch in regards to talented regens? I imagine a lot less regens each year than in the full version (of course depending on database size).

I've played both and I wouldn't personally ever go back to Touch. I have a 3 year old so I totally get the time factor and I can only play when she goes to bed. But I just love how in depth the full version is. 

But I guess it is what suits you best. If you wanna speed through seasons then touch makes sense :)

Edited by B3nnet7
Spelling

Always wondered if the AI is better at squad management/building in Touch as there are less things to care about and more simplified rules like homegrown, competition registrations etc.

8 minutes ago, Icy said:

Always wondered if the AI is better at squad management/building in Touch as there are less things to care about and more simplified rules like homegrown, competition registrations etc.

From my experience it is for sure, I found Touch a lot easier and found myself getting bored as I didnt have to do all that much tactically to win. Full version is a lot more challenging imo 

2 hours ago, amadeo said:

Hi all,

I just bought the game for the first time in two years and I'm eager to start playing! However, before I start I want to find out if I should play the full or the Touch version. Simply because I now have three kids and therefore am pretty limited with time. I like using the editor for creating cup tournaments, so it's a massive blow that Touch doesn't support this, but maybe I can live with that for some time at least.

But what else is lacking from Touch? I have started a list - can you help me making it longer?

FM Touch 21 compared to FM 21:

• Allows only up to 50K players database
  • Doesn't support FM ingame editor
  • Doesn't support FM editor
  • Has a faster gameplay
  • Less control over training
  • Less interaction with fans
  • Less interaction with media
  • Less interaction with players

The first point is definitely not true. On PC you can load all the leagues you want. The 50k is just a cosmetic "recommended" limit. I usually like to keep it around that when deciding the leagues I want to load but I've had saves with 70k+ players and not had problems.

15 minutes ago, Icy said:

I suppose AI recruitment is the same as the full game but the one advantage is that you won't see AI make a big money transfer and then transfer list the player after 2 months because he can't be registered like sometimes happens on the full game.

Edited by rafaelbenitez

3 minutes ago, B3nnet7 said:

From my experience it is for sure, I found Touch a lot easier and found myself getting bored as I didnt have to do all that much tactically to win. Full version is a lot more challenging imo 

I've always found it the opposite to be honest. Games are harder on Touch because you can't boost morale etc. like you can in the full game. There's definitely a lot more to do on the full version but I wouldn't say the games themselves are more challenging than Touch.

15 minutes ago, rafaelbenitez said:

I've always found it the opposite to be honest. Games are harder on Touch because you can't boost morale etc. like you can in the full game. There's definitely a lot more to do on the full version but I wouldn't say the games themselves are more challenging than Touch.

Ahh fair enough, I guess it just depends on the save and team. I always play with my local Peterborough and on touch I used a very basic tactic, won the league by 20 points and was then 3rd in the championship the next season despite pretty much having the same squad from the year before. 

On full version I'm top of league one again but only by a point this time after 15 games and that's with me appointing all new staff, a much more put together tactic, PI and TI too as well as doing set piece instructions properly. As well as training etc. The games seem a lot tougher and I have to be much better tactically to grind out results. 

26 minutes ago, B3nnet7 said:

Ahh fair enough, I guess it just depends on the save and team. I always play with my local Peterborough and on touch I used a very basic tactic, won the league by 20 points and was then 3rd in the championship the next season despite pretty much having the same squad from the year before. 

On full version I'm top of league one again but only by a point this time after 15 games and that's with me appointing all new staff, a much more put together tactic, PI and TI too as well as doing set piece instructions properly. As well as training etc. The games seem a lot tougher and I have to be much better tactically to grind out results. 

I think it's just co-incidence. More PIs and TIs don't necessarily mean the tactic is automatically better.

I have played FMT extensively over the last 2 or 3 years.

If SI gave it the pre-game editor, I would never play "Full Fat" again. Any other differences are minimal. The cynic in me wonders if after 8 years of fans crying out for it, that is the sole reason why they have chosen not to add it, which I kind of understand, why would you give way to the main event?

Differences?

One version is good and i enjoy playing - full fat FM

One version i wouldnt touch with a bargepole, FMT.  Too "watered" down. I am so used to the full fat game i cannot stand how much is missing.  And even though you have the option to not use it.... please sack off the instant result button.  It just does not belong in any sort of management sim.  I will never install the touch version, ever. 

Edited by ChelseaSince86

10 hours ago, ChelseaSince86 said:

Differences?

One version i wouldnt touch with a bargepole, FMT.  Too "watered" down. I am so used to the full fat game i cannot stand how much is missing.  And even though you have the option to not use it.... please sack off the instant result button.  It just does not belong in any sort of management sim.  I will never install the touch version, ever. 

You seem incredibly worked up about a game that you're never going to install.

Of course the Touch version is not meant for people who enjoy all the bells and whistles of full fat FM.

20 hours ago, ChelseaSince86 said:

Differences?

Not a fan then, eh?

I love the Touch, it's the only one I play. Differences are that it's much more fun to play, you can pick it up anywhere at any time, and it's missing all the chores that the full game has. I would like to be able to talk to player a bit more than it is possible now, because if their morale goes down, there is not much you can do about it. That said, I hope they never introduce press conferences, recruitment meetings, the overly complicated and detailed training module, the bazillion different kinds of staff roles, and the rest that just adds more clicks to the game. The instant result button is a godsend for once you know your team and you can fly through the preseason, or play the matches you don't care about.

Thanks for all the replies. It seems like my list in my post is pretty much the differences there are.

I think that I will start a save on FM Touch over the weekend, and try it out. At the moment I think the full version of FM (which I always have preferred) is too complex and time consuming.