FM21 - FC Annecy

Dan1884

Summer 2031 - Consolidation

This summer has turned out to be the first in a while where nobody of note ended up leaving. I have always been one of those who believes you can get stronger through sales of players, but I'm finding it harder and harder this time around and I think I'm only going to make these sales if we're given absolutely stupid money like we got for Janek. With so much money left around I did add to the squad a little - no wholesale changes but a couple of quality additions to supplement the new system, which I felt for the most part had been pretty successful.

The first signing was a long-term target, somebody I had tracked since he was 16, who I'd tried to get from Guingamp before but been asked for impossible money, only he had a relegation release clause in his contract as Guingamp succumbed to a pathetic season in Ligue 1. It was a club record fee of £18.25mil, but Fresnel has joined the club. I feel he's a great fit and has a good chance of playing for France.

I made Rodri's loan permanent too as he wasn't asking for loads of money, was happy to be a backup and essentially comes in as a bit of a tutor, but I think again, it's the type of signing that the new system will allow to flourish.

The rest of my signings were largely youngsters coming in for the future, but we completed some decent deals again. Thendo Ledwaba joins to give competition to Fouchard at left back, for a pittance of £750k. Slovenian defender Ziga Zizmond joins for £1.5mil and is loaned for the season to SM Caen, Greek playmaker Fotis Kobolias joins for £6.5mil and is loaned back to PAOK for a season, Mario Bolte joins on loan (he was in the Zwolle side who thumped us) and Italian Riccardo Bellini joins for £2.5mil, he also joins a Ligue 1 side in Nimes on loan. This means that we have Zizmond, Kastelic, Bellini, Georgsson and Nelson Martins all out on loan at Ligue 1 clubs - getting starts. It's some progress.

The season itself

We've been terrific. It's really, really clicking I think and I am excited to see where we end up this season.

image.png.120239d44551ad42c424e248560238c9.png

image.png.c377edf752d3e8c44ab7793635c93a65.png

5th in the table but a very tight table, having already played three of the four sitting above us whilst remaining unbeaten is a fantastic effort. I really think we have an outside bet of Champions League football this year, but there's a long way to go, the system change was well out of my comfort zone of "simplicity" but I do think a lot of my fundamentals in previous systems weren't bringing the best out of a genuinely very exciting group of players. I'm really keen to see where we end up. We're not the finished article but I've never felt we're this powerful. We also finally have a win over PSG in the league! Were very unlucky to not beat Marseille, I will concede we were quite fortunate to beat Brestois though but I've realised we win there no matter what we do.

It's Monaco away next for us, another big challenge, but I really give us a chance.

Edited by Dan1884

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

image.png.300433880de8a0c95dbfce5f6e097a3b.png

15 games, 5 of which include games against PSG, Marseille and Monaco - of which we only conceded the one goal.

It's safe to say this is working.

Our next game is at home to the old enemy - Orleans! They were a rival in the lower leagues, a promotion rival in the third tier, a relegation rival in the second, but we got promoted whilst they kept blowing it, often in the play-offs. They do have a very good record at our place though. Interestingly, my young midfielder Georgsson starts for them.

1 hour ago, Hootieleece said:

Doing Great Work! Your save is even more "realistic" than mine and your defense first mindset is really helping to turn a minnow into a whale!

Thanks again. Still chipping through yours. Immense levels of detail on a game by game that I can't quite bring myself to go into for my own save, but as stated a very relatable save given we both started in the French lower leagues.

I think we're pulling off this system quite well. We're defending generally by keeping the ball I'm finding, we're doing it a lot better than I thought we would, and what I do really, really like about this side now, that it's taken until now to crack, is that I feel we can really pile the misery on teams. We're getting quite ruthless. We're not the finished article, but we're as good as we've ever been. It's quickly turning into one of my best ever saves.

The next part...

image.png.cb07b16caad8b813301f284fb452c656.png

We're still going well, but it's a little bit more mixed as we've suffered our first defeat, and our second, and our third.

I mean is there anything more FM, and I mean 'anything', than going 16 games unbeaten, the last of which an absolute massacring of an old foe, to then lose this record to the leagues bottom side? I mean, we were unlucky to lose, that wasn't one of those days where I could point fingers and say absolute rubbish, we played well, we just didn't finish our chances, they took theirs, it happens, I can't go in too hard on them.

But I was extremely annoyed by the Lorient defeat. It just doesn't seem to matter how I set up, how Lorient set up, who is in charge of Lorient - they win at Annecy. it's five wins in a row for them here, for some context, in that time period, PSG & Marseille combined have only managed five themselves. To think that Lorient this season have moved on from the chaos of the Pimienta era of which they would frequently be involved in games with 7+ goals, the sublime to ridiculous side, but were usually always sublime here. To think they are now a bang average side in this league, winless in 8, coming to the strongest Annecy side ever, and it's still an away win, and we didn't ever really threaten either.

For the most part though, I have to keep giving our players credit. We have set a standard where beating teams like Nice, Strasbourg and Sochaux isn't seen as a big deal. We're operating on a new level now. We did go 2 down at Nimes, but for me this game kind of showed our quality, as we ended up winning comfortably.

image.png.dbb27f3b824483088ac49b8e05dd01e4.png

Now it's very good, but there is a real problem with it for me. If a top 3 finish is our aim - tell me which one of Lyon, Marseille and PSG we'll finish above? We have matched PSG in this half of the season, amazingly, but are we really going to do it again? I'm not convinced, though they have been dodgy so far, they usually always come good. I still wouldn't put it past them to win the league, especially with Lyon top of the pile who without fail start well and blow it late on every year.

Then you have the real pests. St Etienne. The worst of both worlds. They totally bottled it in Europe, as predicted, finishing bottom of their group. They're annoyingly back for more though, they have kept up their league form and pose a very real threat.

I feel like as well as we have done, we have definitely thrown away some silly points - notably only taking 1 point from the bottom two in trips to both sides, which at this kind of level, that simply costs you. Our season looks totally different with 41 points, and how attainable that was too.

But I can't be downbeat. We're doing excellently for the most part, and best of all - I can't even really pinpoint a star man. Nobody has been outstanding, nobody has been bad. If you were being harsh, you would have to say Baumeler and Palma have both continued to slightly disappoint - Baumeler is our top scorer, but it's an odd one, he has 8 goals in 18 games but that includes two hat-tricks, meaning he's blanked on 14 out of 18 goals. For a team that creates chances like this, I feel like he could do a little better. Palma likewise, has not been poor, but I feel he could be doing a little more than he is.

Finally, I present an absolute gem of a signing ahead of January. I've had to promise him regular starting spots, which I'm not too happy about at his age, but honestly - he might well be able to do it, a 16 year old as good as this for just £900k is unbelievable business, in what has been a career of great business, this might just be the best yet.

image.png.eda0c1f712afe4640b9d6d38eb38f6e9.png

1 hour ago, Hootieleece said:

What is wrong with PSG? In my save they ARE the GALACTIC EMPIRE! Thomas Tuchel wins the league by at least 20 points and scores 100 goals. For 8 years running.

They do pretty much always win the league on mine, only once since I have started this have they not won it, but Lyon really do need shooting for not doing so in that time. They have had at least three brilliant opportunities and they've blown the lot with stupid defeats late on in the season. PSG opened the door to them last season, all they had to do was not blow their final two games, and they go and lose at 19th placed Bordeaux.

Ligue 1 has become a genuinely interesting league on my save and if it was to follow this path in future it would become one of people's favourites in my opinion. You have Marseille tycoon owned and have won a title (2029), in the eleven seasons I've played so far, Lyon have come 2nd seven times and 3rd twice. They just cannot get over the line, no matter what they do. Lyon, unlike Marseille and PSG, have built their team up and have a genuinely excellent side and manager (Jesse Marsch), they're a very good team, they just can't find the winning touch, they're like Pochettino's Tottenham but even more extreme.

Though that said, I really think if they don't win this one, they're in trouble. They have recruited badly this summer just gone and spent a lot of money on average 30 year olds. Genuinely players I wouldn't start for Annecy. If they start frittering money away like that, it'll become a bit of a closed shop again, because Marseille's honeymoon kind of feels over - they haven't even made the top 3 since the title win. Monaco are firmly on the decline as well. It could open up for us, but I fear we'll draw too many.

PSG want to buy Rolland from us which is annoying. I'm going to have to make that a summer move if so. I'm not sabotaging another season.

I've just looked it up again - not even kidding, in the past six seasons, they have blown the title in the final three games on four different occasions. They just cannot get over the line late on, they bottle their final away game every season. What they need is a trip to Annecy for their final away game as they always win here.

This is a Lyon side who hit 105 and 116 goals in consecutive seasons yet couldn't win a league. They are cursed.

PSG did dominate for a little while in the early years of my save but it's definitely evened up in time, I'm unsure if similar will take place on yours.

In other news - St Etienne have lost their manager to moneybags Strasbourg, a move that will weaken them without 'really' strengthening Strasbourg a great deal either I don't think. I'd back us to finish above them if we stay injury free and don't get any £250mil offers for my players this month.

9 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

The reason for PSG's astounding performance is Mbappe. He didn't leave for Real Madrid or Liverpool in this save. I think he led Ligue 1 in both goals and assists last season. I think 37 goals and 17 assists.

He's still there on mine as well. It's Lyon appointing Jesse Marsch that has made them an exciting side, they just never know how to get over the line. They've just hammered PSG away though. This really is their opportunity. Wouldn't be one bit surprised if they blew it and Marseille nicked it though, Marseille have a bit of a resurgence this season despite selling a couple of big names.

We've definitely started to stutter a bit I think, sadly. I'll be amazed if we finish in the Champions League spots this season.

January

January as we know by now starts with the cup and we were given a pretty easy away tie, of which we absolutely breezed and picked up my biggest win as Annecy manager. Whilst in the grand scheme this means little, I do think when you don't have a properly functioning system you can be a bit stuffed even in games against lower league sides. I've seen us go out to some complete dross in recent years, so this was an improvement.

The rest of the month, for me, was a little concerning.

image.png.cf2db17e5e9b3e5398b0c25031598129.png

I mean it's testament to how well we're doing that an unbeaten month where we're still in the cup is deemed a concern, but if you break it down, we have a bit of a problem. St Etienne saw us produce a second straight league game of going two down and rescuing it, which it's goodto maintain the unbeaten record against them, but you can't build anything from going 2 down every game. We struggled past Nice and then were quite honestly lucky to even draw to Caen. I did tweak things a little ahead of the cup game against 2nd tier Reims. The only transfer news this month was Mario Bolte joined permanently for £3.5mil (I couldn't leave it at that price), whilst Duplexe Tchamba, who has absolutely gone off a cliff in the last year, was loaned out to Clermont. He's so poor now I don't even see him helping them at all, it's a shame to see.

Then came February. This ended up being probably the best month we've ever had. It's a shame it was tarnished by a cup exit, but what panned out in the league was simply incredible.

image.png.e6c92c050ae947e51545a1ef21e6a8dc.png

Just sensational. I didn't know what that Nantes win would be the start of. Yet another Rennes hammering, meaning we've now recorded 7-1, 5-0, 4-0 and cup final wins over them, then the scalp of all - a win at PSG. I fancied us. I really did. This is a dodgy PSG side and I thought we're here on merit, I'm taking my usual plan to them, and they couldn't find a way through us. Vagner's early wonder goal the difference.

We smashed Brestois before yet another sensational victory on the road, after taking an early lead at Marseille we went in behind at half time following a pretty miserable showing, but never write this team off I guess, Rafael once again the star and then Palma stole it with a free kick very alte on. It was yet another scalp. I went into the Monaco game with very little doubt we'd win, and we absolutely dismantled them. This is a good team now. There is no beating around the bush.

image.png.b6b8312bb86acf39cb40cb5a9f1f3734.png

Could we do the unthinkable here? I'm not even talking Champions League here. I've been talking about Lyon's late tail off tendency, could we be the ones punishing it this time?!

Probably not, but you do wonder. Other than Lyon later on, the next highest side we have to play is Sochaux at home. We have no midweek games, no other competitions to focus on, and a pretty generous run in. I really think we've got to blow it to not at least get a Champions League spot now. There'll certainly be the odd game where we drop points to someone we didn't expect, but the rate we're going, I really wonder where we're going to end up. It's exciting. We're the leagues form side - in-fact, we're the first team in ten years to win at both PSG & Marseille in the same season.

Orleans away next on the back of no defeats in 10, and 6 straight wins. What could go wrong?

image.png.a12d9774822f1fd6ac2a87874391ed56.png

Fully deserved. He was one of my main tactical tweaks as well so I'm happy to see this.

Lyon have lost their game in hand (at home to Angers!) and drew their next game. While I think it may be too early to be thinking like this, the title race is opening up for somebody to come in and snatch it. We're in such good form, you really wonder if there's a chance.

In before we go and lose at Orleans...

It's got to be the attitude. We're too close to not have a proper crack here. We've got a relatively kind run in with no other competitions to worry about. We have a legitimate chance, even if I do think we'll probably fall short.

The mix of being good anyway, PSG being weak (and we'll finish ahead of them) and no Europe is not one that comes around often. This might be our best chance.

image.png.bd93cad5cc809c81105918c737a43c29.png

image.png.716a2afc9bfab34bad45f39c029eb0ce.png

I don't think we played particularly well in March, we scraped past the bottom two and nearly lost at 17th, our next game actually is against Angers too meaning we played the bottom 4 in a row! The fact is though, the others aren't exactly doing great themselves, the winner is only going to end up about 82/83 this year, it's usually about 10 above that, if not more.

Anyway - one other thing. The work on facilities and youth investment has paid off. We have inherited an absolute gem of a youngster, I would go as far as saying the best I have ever had coem through at any club, on any game. The work really has paid off this time.

image.png.b7636843bc1951ae238b005e40d42daa.png

Honestly, he could be world class, I really think he's that good. I reckon he'll be getting games as early as maybe even next season.

We might just do this...

No really, we have a genuine chance to win the league. It's remarkable.

image.png.8b1d8890132b4d0d91000223fcdec3d5.png

The Angers result was highly disappointing and I felt that given we'd been stumbling a little, something had to change at Lorient. I changed formation to something else I had been working on - something that has a similar balance to the 4-2-3-1 but leaves us a bit more solid defensively, and it worked a treat, we absolutely whacked them away. Lorient & Annecy were the leagues two form sides, though their manager left just before that game so it was part of the reason.

We followed it up with a sixth straight win over Sochaux, and then an absolutely mad game at Strasbourg which saw us nick it late, lose it, then nick it back again even later.

Lyon are also finally added to our sword at last. We never looked in any doubt. Yet another Lyon bottlejob late in the season has opened the door for the unthinkable.

image.png.fc136cbb740fa88dadc12dfbd9794756.png

We have at least secured a top 3 finish, which means at least Champions League football next season of some form - though only the top 2 go into the groups (this is 50/50 to become four next year, it's on a knife edge).

I knew we would do well this season, but quite how well has amazed me, nearly every player has been superb.

image.png.ce8e2875c6b1ec1ffe4552d37e702dcd.png

image.png.af9549be58ca02c16177f888e6cdc236.png

image.png.1a316faed87f0006224c483493366f14.png

image.png.438603baa21da31503ce8c135b8206c4.png

A matchday by matchday update is coming up. My prediction is it finishes how it is now and Marseille end up champions. Their run in is the best.

Matchday 36

I'll cut to the chase - it's bad news. Marseille and Lyon both pick up resounding wins, we can only manage a draw at Lille meaning we're now 3 off the top. I think that probably is the end sadly. I can't see both of them dropping points.

It's not over until it's over but I'd give us hardly any chance now. Marseille have got to really, really blow this.

The only hopes I have are that Lyon always lose their last away game, and Marseille are at home to Angers. Now Angers are rubbish, but they seem to get nearly all of their points against the best sides. I'm not writing them off this game, put it that way.

Matchday 37

It's better news!

We beat Nimes as I thought we would. The downside is that Marseille beat Angers, only just as well annoyingly. However - Lyon only managed a draw at Nantes, meaning we've gone 2nd into the final day. Lyon therefore are out of the race and can only finish as high as 2nd.

image.png.715a2329dad92ffe374615099ad22cf7.png

It's quite simple - we win, and Marseille lose, the unthinkable is complete and Annecy are the champions. Anything else and it's Marseille's title. Lyon will go back ahead of us should we fail to win and they pick one up, however, and 3rd placed means a qualifier rather than a group stage spot.

Come on Annecy and Lorient.

Matchday 38

The permitations are obvious. All we can do is win our game and hope for an unlikely favour from Lorient. That we're even in this position is incredible, and whilst I don't want any bowing out and excuses if we do blow it, it's mad to think we did get this far at all, even with a good squad.

This situation has been pretty ideal. I said it back in February of the season, but not only were we in very good form, you had the most off colour PSG I can remember, it's clear that we're not going to have every season where we have no Europe to focus on either. As far as chances go, this is one of our best. We can get better teams together in future that will fall short. You never know.

The recent tactical tweak to play Rondina at holding midfield was scuppered by his suspension for the final day, meaning I was forced into going back to 4-2-3-1 with Pastoriza at number 10. Fresnel and Rafael the wide men, Baumeler leads the line, Kavcic and Palma the deeper midfielders, the usual back four (which now includes Ledwaba, who is better than Fouchard).

---

The key events...

8 - Gabriel Blaga is booked and suspended for the next game, so the first game of next season, but this is a bit of a problem as it puts us under a bit of pressure. (0-0)

29 - Silvo Kavcic is forced off due to injury and replaced by Vagner. We have a bit of a problem here. (0-0)

45 - Rafael gives Annecy the lead just before half time with a drilled finish into the bottom corner. Still no news from Lorient, nothing of note going on there. Lyon also goalless. (0-1)

78 - Claudio Pastoriza is fouled. This sadly turns out to be a leg break which will rule him out for some of next season. We are forced into our final substitution - it's 16 year old Natie Diarra, he comes on at centre half as Blaga moves to holding midfield. Keep the ball, don't panic too much. Hold up our end of the bargain. (0-1)

89 - Lorient and Marseille is still goalless, it's almost an eerie level of quietness. I've changed my usual screen to have the scores coming through. Maybe just focus on my own game and hope for the best, eh? (0-1)

90+1 - Goal at Lorient. No, genuinely, it's happened, Lorient have scored, my scores bar crashed but a quick glance at the league table. "1. FC Annecy". We are genuinely minutes from the Ligue 1 title. The unthinkable.

90+3 - I shout no pressure to my players. It backfires. They're all frustrated with this feedback. The nerves are clearly kicking in. Valenciennes are having the better of it now and we're holding on a little.

90+4 - Goal at Lorient. They've done it. The lead is doubled. Lorient have beaten Marseille. We are a minute away from the title.

90+5 - Valenciennes winger Bertrand Payet is released down the right, Ledwaba jockeys him superbly and he runs the ball out of play. There are 15 seconds left. My hand covers my mouth. We're there.

90+6 - Full time.

image.png.7f4b25df8b7ac0f2dbfc716bbdc53aa2.png

image.png.e178dc295f3fa3009473c16960e1efcd.png

Just simply unbelievable. I think it's probably my best ever achievement.

------------

image.jpeg.8f4e4c375bf1f693094ae1a03b072043.jpegimage.jpeg.ba455f4ff488c536013d32bac1067925.jpeg      2032

Thanks all. It's a strange one, it's happened way sooner than I expected it to. I do think once you've gotten that first title, it does take away some of the desire a little bit, but I dunno - with a couple of really promising academy players coming through I'm excited to see what I can do with them. I will keep playing this save but I think it's got less time now than I previously had, I will likely move on to something else in maybe 2/3 seasons. I'm thinking either the lower leagues of Portugal or Turkey. I'm also contemplating an idea of trying to put together another dirty team. There was something weirdly satisfying about it with Andorra. It came about a bit randomly but I thought... I'm quite enjoying this, and we took it and run. I think we had the worst disciplinary in La Liga 5 years running but still ended up doing really well. I'm tempted to try something a little bit like that again.

I'm not done with this but I do think when you have won the league it definitely makes it a little less interesting. Could be just me.

22 minutes ago, Johnny-Trotter said:

Wow! Amazing work! Well done - now the challenge is how to maintain the step-up, in both the Champions League and title defence.

Yeah that is true, it's mad that you can win the league, tell your players we'll go for the Europa League next season and they all turn around and tell me I'm being too ambitious - but they probably have a point in a way, we're still only expected to finish 6th this coming season and that's now with the strain of European football on our shoulders. We're also not really in a position to go and buy a load more quality either as we're losing money. I expect 3/4 additions but nothing significant.

52 minutes ago, Alejandro_FM said:

Just caught up on this late season magic. Very excited for you. It's been a long time coming and you've done it. Great work! 

Thanks. It was strange, I did think the stars aligned a bit, almost a bit like when Leicester won it - we had the chance open up but I did think after Lille it was dead and buried. Marseille really did bottle it though. To lose it like that is unreal.

I haven't totally lost the desire to continue this save. I think there's enough going on to keep me interested. But it's hard when you've won it with the underdog, now it's just.... now what. We won't win it this season, surely.

I will move onto a new save but not just yet.

Yeah I think you're right. I also get the "now what" sentiment as it does turn to creep in after a first title.

There could still be a lot to play for -- (1) Can you actually become the best team in France (by reputation, dominance over a 3-5 year span etc)? (2) Can you turn any of your players into international super stars (e.g., Ballon d'or, national team glory etc)? and of course (3) Can you win in Europe?  

(Just spitballing ... I am definitely not pushing you one way or another... it'd be completely cool to end the save whenever you feel like it). 

13 hours ago, Dan1884 said:

Thanks. It was strange, I did think the stars aligned a bit, almost a bit like when Leicester won it - we had the chance open up but I did think after Lille it was dead and buried. Marseille really did bottle it though. To lose it like that is unreal.

I haven't totally lost the desire to continue this save. I think there's enough going on to keep me interested. But it's hard when you've won it with the underdog, now it's just.... now what. We won't win it this season, surely.

I will move onto a new save but not just yet.

Champions League?

On 21/03/2021 at 04:39, Alejandro_FM said:

Yeah I think you're right. I also get the "now what" sentiment as it does turn to creep in after a first title.

There could still be a lot to play for -- (1) Can you actually become the best team in France (by reputation, dominance over a 3-5 year span etc)? (2) Can you turn any of your players into international super stars (e.g., Ballon d'or, national team glory etc)? and of course (3) Can you win in Europe?  

(Just spitballing ... I am definitely not pushing you one way or another... it'd be completely cool to end the save whenever you feel like it). 

I had it with Hamburg on FM20, retaining the title was simple but I'm one of those who kind of needs something to really fight for, I need to be climbing the ladder rather than sitting at the top of it. I feel like I'm a bit more of a Klopp than a Guardiola in that sense.

To be fair, I've started this new season and I am still enjoying it, the Champions League, still keeping things ticking over and whatnot, there's still something to play for. I quite like the fact Marseille's manager Gignac has it in for me, the fact they bottled it at home to us, and then bottled it on the final day, just makes it quite sweet.

I'll keep playing and leave it when I feel I'm just not really enjoying it anymore. I think I will do well to top this though. I took a side with a budget of £600k a year on wages to be champions of France in 12 years. I'm quite happy with that.

On 21/03/2021 at 14:34, Northernpilgrim said:

Champions League?

That'll be the aim but we're blatantly miles off. Then again you never know do you. I'd been saying similar about Ligue 1!

The 2031/32 season review is coming soon.

Season review 2031/32 | Season 12

Well I think it's quite obvious what happened, the story is out there, and what a story it was. I did sense an opportunity arising but I didn't think we'd have enough about us to go and actually snare that title - one which we were top of the league for just four minutes all season.

Never did I think that after the loss at Lyon we wouldn't lose again all season, and only drop points on six occasions too. Win at Marseille, win at PSG, the first time a team had achieved that in ten years

It was the lowest points tally that Ligue 1 has been won with since the game started, which kind of points to the fact it was a very rare opportunity, but it doesn't really matter, we did it, we were the leagues best side, the table didn't lie.

POTS: So many contenders, not one player had anything less than a good season, they all pulled their weight. The winner of this, however, was Lilian Rolland. He was phenomenal, nearly flawless at centre half all season. He's been even better than I thought he would be. Quite amazing to think Bordeaux parted with him for just £12mil whilst in the midst of a relegation battle, one which they eventually lost, and also failed to bounce back up. He averaged 7.34 which is a new record for a player in a season of mine at Annecy. Very closely following him was Rafael, who became the top scorer again after a scintilating second half of the season. Rolland takes the prize though. This game seems to be quite central defender friendly.

Youth: 

image.png.1fe879a664d4608a56f91ac622d1a16c.png

That's the bulk of it really, I do intend to fix that somehow as it's a bit vague and doesn't tell you a great deal, but I've updated with the two prospects we got through this season. Gregory Roger is the jewel and I think he could go on to be an amazing player. Soumah is also an interesting player in my opinion, he needs a lot of polishing but with the right development he could become a useful player to have around. I've not really been impressed with 2031's cohort. K'Bidi probably the best of a weak bunch, Sy is as predicted not doing a great deal (and also has kicked off because I didn't sell him to Lille) and Laurence is just simply not good enough.

2030's cohort are doing really well though. Chris Bell is going from strength to strength as a player, whilst Beaubrun is doing similar but started from a less promising level in the first place. I think both of those two could have some use at this club. At the minute I would rank them... Roger, Bell, Soumah, Beaubrun, K'Bidi, Sy, Laurence. Any from the 2028 lot are irrelevant now. In-fact I need to update that as Dupont has been released.

Co-efficients

By the barest of margins, Germany cling onto 4th spot due to a predictably useless effort in the CL from St Etienne and a general poor showing from the French clubs, whilst Gladbach made the Europa league final.

image.png.d278266c904b964d27c74ab8cf17b0c5.png

It's so annoying, they clung on by the skin of their teeth. It affects us this season as well as I see us fighting for a position around 4th in the table, so it could be the difference. We have another chance this season as a league to get that 4th place from Germany. it's crucial the French clubs do well in Europe this year as we're probably not going to get another chance any time soon to pinch that 4th spot if you look at the upcoming seasons. We're partly responsible this year!

Back to the season - the crucial points

I've been through and looked at what were in my opinion, the biggest results towards our title win....

Annecy 1-0 PSG - The first ever league win over PSG and the first time I really felt we were mixing with the big boys. We fully deserved that win too. That to me was the sign we were at an all-time high.

Nimes 2-4 Annecy - This felt really big in hindsight because we went 2-0 down to a really poor Nimes side. To win it comfortably from that position, well, do we seriously go on to win the title if we don't? I mean, you could argue any dropped points would've cost us, but this in-particular felt a bit of a gamechanger. I had all kinds of doubts forming in that first half and they eased them in style.

PSG 0-1 Annecy - Just the same as the home game, but to go away to PSG and do it again felt significant.

Marseille 2-3 Annecy - This has to be the big one. When you think that we ended up taking it on goal difference on the final day too. We went ahead early doors and I felt invincible, but Marseille ended up pulverising us a bit in the first half and we went in behind. I sensed this was the end of our run, but we somehow found it within ourselves to not only equalise, but then pinch it late on too, the equaliser was a bit out of nothing, but once it cut to a highlight in the 89th minute with Palma standing over a free-kick, I just had no doubt at all he was going to leather it straight in. This was another game where I knew this side was a bit special.

Strasbourg 2-3 Annecy - This again was a bonkers game. We went behind early on, equalised in the first half, spent all of the second half attacking and it took until the 86th minute to finally break them down and get that winner. Only we then blew it again almost immediately. We then incredibly managed to steal the game even later. Given it was this late on in the season, to win in this style, it felt significant.

Annecy 2-0 Lyon - The other monkey finally shaken off our back. We were the ones punishing Lyon's usual late season collapse this time. It felt easy, but it really was quite significant.

Valenciennes 0-1 Annecy - Pretty obvious, but the game that we won the league in, we held up our part of the bargain and hoped for a favour, and somehow we got it.

-------

This coming season is just, I don't know, do as well as we can in the Champions League and league, I would be disappointed to finish outside of the European places. We have a bit of money to add a couple of players but don't be expecting anything substantial.

image.thumb.png.94d160f74d75a347e37d97fd1b82d5df.png

The hangover - summer 2032

We have hit the summit and things may never get so great again, we'll never have a feeling quite like that one again, you would suspect. But the show must go on. We have things to fight for. We have a couple of super academy products, we have our first ever crack at the Champions League, we also have to keep that bigmouth Gignac at Marseille quiet for a bit longer. Lets see where things go.

image.png.1f0ffa10ea392735a6319fc11d8fb249.png

There's no kid in the sweetshop approach at this club. There's no losing sight of the bigger picture. We are still ripping clubs off for players we won't really use and still finding bargains in the window, though I have to at least acknowledge an error I have made - though have kind of gotten away with it.

As you see in the departures, some interesting names left the club. Rouault finally leaves after falling well out of favour, Moestrup departs to Portugal for a slight profit, we get our money back on Jorgensen who was a real disappointment, but the real blow is Bekkemyr leaving on a free - a blow in the sense that he's the first real dud we signed. I paid £7.5mil for him and he leaves for nothing.

Andraz Kastelic also leaves. He is a perfect example of where we've done things so right, and where it's almost a little too simple at times on this game. He joined me two years ago from Maribor for £1.6mil. He went out on loan to Gil Vicente in Portugal for a year, and then Rennes, I was intending to use him as backup this year to Martinez, but with an offer like that I have taken the money and just kept Zakharevich. Easy profit and sold for more than we have ever paid for a player.

Regarding what I signed - well, two were replacements and one was an addition. The addition is striker Jan Ptacek as I feel Baumeler needs a bit more competition. Milan Dobry joins to replace Jorgensen and the final replacement is Sanel Seferovic. Seferovic joined as an insurance signing because of something I had totally let slip - Jakub Vagner was out of contract in a year and wanted to leave. I've spent years getting derisory offers for him but only now did I realise he has just a year left on his contract. In came Seferovic who, for me, is a bit better, but we just simply had to sell Vagner. The window shut and my chance was blown.

Enter Legia Warsaw. They've agreed to buy him for £7mil, meaning we have bagged the money and nearly paid for his replacement in the process. Vagner's been a good servant for the club but he's fallen a little out of favour, and in his words, wanted to test himself in a better league - which makes his move from the 5th ranked Ligue 1 to the 21st ranked Ekstraklasa totally understandable, right. I don't mind, he's a sign of how much we've progressed.

Who knows how it will go.

Keep up the Good work!

It is hard to remember all the names and contracts....when your trying to make money off of other teams scraps.....who actually might be good players. I just sold two players I brought in on Free transfers either through planning or off the Unwanted list at season end for $107M!

but if not for those two I probably would have a negative balance with all my duds.

19 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

Keep up the Good work!

It is hard to remember all the names and contracts....when your trying to make money off of other teams scraps.....who actually might be good players. I just sold two players I brought in on Free transfers either through planning or off the Unwanted list at season end for $107M!

but if not for those two I probably would have a negative balance with all my duds.

I've dropped the ball a couple of times this summer, I've realised even more silly errors I've made and I'm paying for them. I think I've more than made up for it with some of my other business but I'm still pretty annoyed at myself for it.

Edited by Dan1884

I've slacked

Well, I've gotten quite far into this season without actually dropping any kind of update on how things are going, so here goes.

We went into the Champions League as a pot one side, meaning we were going to get a more favourable group. Or so I thought. Manchester City, Porto and Hoffenheim the three opponents, a nightmare of a group for a pot one team, Hoffenheim as your pot four is just plain bad luck as they're really good on this now, we drew just about the hardest team in each pot, but hopefully we could snare 2nd place.

image.png.fe285c34631fe4e2528650073da52267.png

We very much picked up where we left off in the league campaign, with yet another first day victory meaning it's eight seasons in a row we've won our first game. We whacked Monaco again which was a sign we were going to have another good season, though it was a little disappointing how many we'd go on to draw from there. St Etienne a particularly annoying game making it five draws on the spin against them. The most damaging draw of all though had to be Porto - combined with Hoffenheim winning at Man City, this was the matchday that stacked this group against us from day one.

image.png.ce97045239e7df80417a4d126c0e6871.png

A very mixed October - it's yet another victory over PSG making it three on the bounce, this the most impressive probably as they looked more back to normal this year. It was yet another draw in the Champions League, it's all starting to feel very much like our European debut where we drew our way out of the group, it's taking a similar pattern. The unbeaten run was finally ended by Nice though, 31 games in the league which is extraordinary, and what a miserable way to lose it. We bounce back to smash Lille though. We sat in the top 3.

image.png.09c000725c91317d30e1614d37955fbc.png

November started with effectively the end of our Champions League campaign, even two wins in the remaining games were very likely to see us put out, but it was likely we would end up in the Europa League. Hoffenheim would sail through after beating Porto twice meaning I've completely let the league down by not only going out, but allowing a German side into the knockouts at our expense. The good news however is that we got our first ever Champions League win, guaranteeing we came 3rd no matter what happened on the final day, meaning we had another crack in the Europa League, and our league form suggested we were going to be looking at another crack at the Champions League next season. That's three wins in a row at Marseille, which was unthinkable at one stage.

image.png.844b0ea603b232fc212759d94e01d30c.png

Another very strange month from us, a completely changed side managed to beat Hoffenheim, meaning I was right with my initial guess that the first day of the group was the one that sealed our fate, failing to beat a Porto side that wouldn't go on to pick up another point. We then went down pathetically at Lorient, what was shaping up to be another rallying 2-2 draw from 2-0 down turned into a complete collapse from us, I just can't fathom what it is about Lorient. We then struggled to a draw at home to struggling Nantes, topping off a pretty miserable December if you take everything into account. We were still right near the top of the league though, I think PSG are looking good to win it this year, but we are giving it another real go.

We were given an old foe - Villarreal, in the Europa League.

image.png.ba6d3b66f797d3e2d796501acf550e13.png

Another poor cup performance from us, losing to a Sochaux side we normally always beat, but it's yet another win over a Monaco side that we are just so blatantly better than at this point. Sadly though, that win at Lyon still eludes us.

January saw quite a mixed month, to be honest, more negatives than positives for me. As alluded to before I had taken my eyes off the ball a bit, and Chelsea came in to sign my goalkeeper, Tim Mannek, on a free transfer this summer. He didn't cost much but it's somebody I'd have rather not lost, probably second to only Horvath in my time at Annecy, so it's annoying, but work has commenced to identify a replacement. I think we can probably get a bit better, but it's going to take a good effort from the scouts.

The other negative was just pure dallying from me, letting South African midfielder Bongani Tshabalala join Bayern Munich for just £750k when I'd had my eye on him for a good few years, just never really sensing the opening for him in my squad. The irony of course is I had finally spotted it with Vagner's departure, I activated the clause, but whilst we have progressed a lot - we still can't beat Bayern to anybody. That said, I filled the void left by Vagner, so he came in on loan, it was needed because Palma has suffered a bad injury, infuriatingly as he was starting to really click. I've also brought in Uros Mijatovic for £925k, he joins Clermont on loan.

image.png.8709098510b1369f2ec70fd257d491e4.png

February was largely very productive as we kept winning games, and once again put Villarreal out, but why oh why did we go and lose to Rennes. Our first home loss in 25 games and it's to the worst Rennes side I've seen in years. This to me, just affirms that PSG will win the league.

image.png.9ca350ce6a52e18353f2340dbe2a0a62.png

They had just been beaten at Valenciennes, handing us the chance to go top of the league, and we completely passed it up.

But it must be said that we have had another really, really good season. We have a better points per game ratio than we had last season and are on course to finish on more, but the competition is just a little tougher this time.

We go to PSG very soon as well, defeat there and I think it's all over in terms of the title, but we really might get back into the Champions League.

Then you have the coefficient situation. We are currently on course to steal that 4th spot from Germany, but I have a feeling we're going to blow it.

image.png.4b20bce334458c878211c6e58970969a.png

What's interesting is the Europa League. There is no French side in the Champions League, but Bayern & Hoffenheim are still in it, but the Europa League - there are four from each country, and amazingly, all eight dodged each other. You might even have an all French & German quarter final, but I'd have my doubts.

image.png.a2d1b8e6ae994197a4c42b5d83ee88de.png

Whilst obviously the focus is on how far we go, I do want the others to keep going too. I'd actually give all four French sides a decent chance of going through there, though we're probably the likeliest to miss out, as Athletic are a good team, 4th in La Liga.

There is plenty to play for. It's at least an interesting season again, the new signings have all done very well, I actually feel we're even better this season, but we have a tougher schedule and tougher competition, so it's not likely to lead to anything more.

We do have another good crop of youngsters coming through though apparently.

One of the worst months in recent memory...

March 2034. Really, really bad month to be honest. It was going to be a bit of a season definer and we've completely blown it.

image.png.f3b200fde07e1b92369cd038334cefb8.png

Everything I feared would happen came true. To me it's becaue of a pretty poor fixture list and just not having the squad to really cope, even despite having plenty of depth, injuries have ruined our plans somewhat and I'm having to overplay certain players. Losses to the likes of Rolland, Palma and Ptacek have proven vital in my opinion.

Starting with Bilbao - I could see it coming, they're a Klopp managed side who just keep going and going, they were pushing us and I think their style worked on ours. I didn't react well enough to it and paid the price, with 3 late Bilbao goals sending us packing. It's another underwhelming European campaign from us, something that is becoming quite a theme, unfortunately.

PSG have all but won the title too as far as I'm concerned. We're the nearest challengers and we totally collapsed at their place. 5-1 maybe harsh, but yet another collapse at Lille later in the month has pointed to some real flaws for me.

image.png.c7f1cd6ed13c579acf47c071d56e009a.png

The aim now is simply to hold on to Champions League football. We can achieve that, but we're going to have to improve, I think the international break has come at the right time and we've got just about everyone back for it.

The youth intake turned out to be highly disappointing for me. There is a 5 star player in there, but I'm really not having him, he's not bad but he's got pretty poor mentals and a poor personality. I'd like to be surprised, but I'm really not enthusiastic with this years cohort. It tops off a miserable month.

8 hours ago, Northernpilgrim said:

Champions League football with a side like Annecy is a pretty cool achievement. You can definitely win the title if you keep improving year on year, but it might take some time. Good luck mate

We can maybe win it again, I just suppose it's about how big a desire there is to keep it going, to ultimately achieve something that I've already done. We'll see anyway.

Strange...

The only word I can really use to describe this last few games. We have yet another win over Marseille, but followed it up with what I can only sadly describe as probably the most pitiful result in my tenure, and that includes two cup defeats to third tier sides. Given we're chasing a Champions League spot, just how the hell do you go down 2-1 at Troyes who had NINE points. Caught by a new manager bounce is my immediate excuse, but there's still no serious excuse we can make for not putting them away. Such a damaging result.

We've then beaten Dijon 3-0, but matchday 33 has proven to be a very interesting one.

image.png.338849388dbcd0dd15db439016ccb517.png

I mean, I don't think we're going to win the league again, but things went from bleak to very interesting, very quickly. That was some turnaround from us. An absolutely great effort.

In other news - the investment in youth has definitely paid off here. I didn't think we would achieve anything like that this quickly.

image.png.d068ca9caaacd1eab0d67691c92973a1.png

We just need to carry that into actual Europe. I will have a bit of a think over the summer as to finding another way against certain opposition. I think I know what I did wrong against Bilbao in just simply persisting with my usual gameplan when it wasn't really working. They're a Klopp coached gegenpressing team, I played right into their hands unfortunately and I have to take the blame.

The other news however, which is very good, is that I see no way that France doesn't take that 4th place from Germany now. France are winning on the score and have more teams left in Europe. I see no way Germany overtake us. France is guaranteed a Europa League finalist as well as Lyon meet PSG (which you never know, could screw their league campaigns a little...).

Good job in NOT falling into the Relegation Zone with the European Football Stretching your team. Also the youth set up look good. What kind of Player is Ndiaye rated as....Bernard Laurent in my save was in my first intake was rated 5 stars, but has turned into a reliable 3 star Super-Sub on the Top Squad. (He doesn't stand out in any area, but scores goals! bangs in about 15/season in Ligue1 and is only 23!)

I know a lot of players complain about newgens and youth products because after upgrades they expect everyone of them to be a 5 star Wonderkid! 

Unfortunately, the Star system actually rates a 2 Star as an Average player in your current league so a 5 Star-Youth product when in Ligue 2 has become a solid 3 star player in Ligue 1 that bangs in goals and no one is after him. I pay him well and promise more playing time then scale it back and have the captain talk to him. 

All I am say is look at the attributes and as long as there aren't many single digit ones he can be of use.....

The only problem with that approach is when one needs that extra ability to play in the Champion's League....where pretty good just isn't good enough.

2 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

Good job in NOT falling into the Relegation Zone with the European Football Stretching your team. Also the youth set up look good. What kind of Player is Ndiaye rated as....Bernard Laurent in my save was in my first intake was rated 5 stars, but has turned into a reliable 3 star Super-Sub on the Top Squad. (He doesn't stand out in any area, but scores goals! bangs in about 15/season in Ligue1 and is only 23!)

I know a lot of players complain about newgens and youth products because after upgrades they expect everyone of them to be a 5 star Wonderkid! 

Unfortunately, the Star system actually rates a 2 Star as an Average player in your current league so a 5 Star-Youth product when in Ligue 2 has become a solid 3 star player in Ligue 1 that bangs in goals and no one is after him. I pay him well and promise more playing time then scale it back and have the captain talk to him. 

All I am say is look at the attributes and as long as there aren't many single digit ones he can be of use.....

The only problem with that approach is when one needs that extra ability to play in the Champion's League....where pretty good just isn't good enough.

Ndiaye is shown below, I quite like him actually, don't think he's anything special, but he's not bad either and could prove to be an option.

image.png.f491987de3bc4eafc9c2f2c4803916fe.png

A lot of the idea with improving your facilities is simply to improve even your lesser players. Whilst Ndiaye was never considered the joker in the pack for me, he will probably forge a decent career at Ligue 1 level, as will probably a few of them. Ndiaye actually reminds me of a bit of a mix of Rafael and Fougeu.

I've been under the impression that the star rating rates your players according to the rest of your squad, rather than the league. That said, the best one I got this year just simply doesn't look like he'd become our best player, which 5 star implies. He is shown below.

image.png.f8ccd78feba3a21e95db1ed60ba510ad.png

As for my actual save - I'm fuming with them. I think we've actually blown a chance to retain the league here.

To be honest, I think I'm done with this save now.

I'll explain quickly what's happened.

---

Strasbourg 1-1 Annecy - blew it late.

Annecy 3-3 Lorient - 3-1 up late on, blew it.

Nantes 2-1 Annecy - Took the lead in the first minute, blew it and lost to a rubbish side.

---

This leaves us 4th and pretty much guaranteed to finish in the Europa League. To be honest, I think winning the league has killed this save, I just can't be bothered. I need to be progressing and we've stagnated. I just haven't really got the patience anymore and think it's time for a new save. I was saying the same at 2-0 down against Valenciennes, just an overriding feeling of... I can't really be bothered anymore. I can't really be doing with another rebuild either. When I'm finishing 4th, which is still a superb achievement, and getting nothing from it then I think it's time to move on.

What a save it was, but it's done now sadly.

Edited by Dan1884