The Ultimate Football Manager Challenge

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 06/01/2023 at 20:50, vikeologist said:

Skills, You understand the African continental competition registration bug, right?

is it also in North America? I think i encountered it in Chile but was oblivious to it.   

wont be a while till im playing in the continental comp by the looks of it... lost my first league game 3 - 0 :mad:

On 09/01/2023 at 00:15, SkiIIs said:

is it also in North America? I think i encountered it in Chile but was oblivious to it.   

wont be a while till im playing in the continental comp by the looks of it... lost my first league game 3 - 0 :mad:

I hope that the registration bug isn't in South America. Nobody has raised a report of it being there, but I dare say a lot of people have reached the same conclusion as me as to the worth of spending time reporting bugs.

Anyway, you probably do need to plan ahead because you will be in continental competition with Chiefs, and if you find you can't register half your squad, it will be too late to do anything about it. I'm just trying to stop you rage quitting the game.

Don't sell any good players who've never played African continental matches for another side, and don't buy anyone who has.

The N American side of the bug is close to defeating me. I can only have  9 foreign players in Mexico, and it's almost impossible to find Mexican players who've never played continental matches for another side. I don't want to sign players just for the league, because I've assumed with 2 pops a year, I'd win it at some point, even though I haven't yet.

Edited by vikeologist

Just now, ANGL said:

Does anyone know if the registration bug is also present in Asian Champions League? If we have no knews about it I can test it, as I'm about to do the register for the first time in my save.

Apparently not, but I haven't made it there myself yet. No reports on this thread, or on the bug tracker.

Image result for senegal flag

AFCON - 2027

Expectations were surprisingly low just happy to get out of the Group and with a group of Angola, Benin and Guinea-Bissau we were pretty confident in getting through given we're the second best ranked African team in the world.

The tournament started off in a disaster losing to Angola 3 - 0 and at this point I was already in panic mode.  Following from that loss, we had morale boosting win against Benin of 6 - 0 and a tough 2 - 1 win against Guinea-Bissau ensured we topped the group as Angola then drew both of their remaining games. In the second round we got the favourable draw for finishing first against Congo.

Second Round

Spoiler

In a match we totally dominated, we required a 93rd minute goal to get the win being the only goal of the game.  We did have a goal disallowed in the 24th minute and also missed a pen in the 89th minute, there may have been a few colorful words shouted from the bench at that point!  Up next Cameroon

Quarter Final (if applicable) 

Spoiler

We required another late winner, this time in the 91st minute to win 3 - 2. We never really looked likely of losing having taken the lead in the 34th before Cameroon equalised in the 57th.  We then got the go ahead goal in the 61st before immediately getting pegged back.  We surely cant ride our luck for much longer!  in the semi we have the best ranked Nigeria

Semi Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

We started off well scoring in the 7th minute to rest the nerves. However in the 35th minute Diallo was given his marching orders for a bad tackle and from there it became a battle of shutting the opponent down. We held our own with ten men and hung on to win. In the other semi, Gabon beat the Ivory Coast for what would have been a grudge match final!

Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

We conceded from a corner in the first half and then the knockout blow came from an inswinging free kick from the sideline. Absolute heartbreak and another one to add to the final misery to this challenge

Edited by SkiIIs

image.jpeg.b1c77d6ec0dd72494ffd139435c75eac.jpeg

Season 2027/28 - South African Premier League - Kaizer Chiefs

After a terrible season last year, the expectation was to finish in mid table which i thought was a shoe in with the amount of talent this team still had. As like always, it was time to fine cheap foreigners and thankfully the team only had 2 foreigners with one of them turning into a SA citizen halfway through the season.  In the end, my recruitment was lopsided and my defence was a little short and even more short half way through the season when i realised my right back was my best striker go figure!

Needless to say it took us a while to gel and at the half way point i thought this wasnt meant to be. Form was inconsistent and just really couldnt get the team going.  After teh December break when i switched my right back to striker, things clicked! We managed to even have a semi title challenge but in the end Orlando Pirates hit good form towards the end of the season to wrap it up with a couple of games left.

We did however manage to win the SA FA Cup to get another tick for the challenge and we qualified for the Champions League for finishing 3rd (so will face the registration bug earlier than i thought). We did need extra time in the semi final, but we really should have won that game easily.

Things bode well for a good season next year!

719310469_2023-01-11(2).thumb.png.a4115a381207070b8366d706a2c3d26a.png

1722179257_2023-01-11(3).thumb.png.b3bbac884b3a5d2073f861033e497e1c.png

2018503417_2023-01-11(4).thumb.png.d7e4c23dcb74424c3f6aca649d4008b3.png

image.png.d02f5fda9fec9dc448c3e0dc3dc2d2fc.png

Edited by SkiIIs

On 09/01/2023 at 18:24, vikeologist said:

I hope that the registration bug isn't in South America. Nobody has raised a report of it being there, but I dare say a lot of people have reached the same conclusion as me as to the worth of spending time reporting bugs.

Anyway, you probably do need to plan ahead because you will be in continental competition with Chiefs, and if you find you can't register half your squad, it will be too late to do anything about it. I'm just trying to stop you rage quitting the game.

Don't sell any good players who've never played African continental matches for another side, and don't buy anyone who has.

The N American side of the bug is close to defeating me. I can only have  9 foreign players in Mexico, and it's almost impossible to find Mexican players who've never played continental matches for another side. I don't want to sign players just for the league, because I've assumed with 2 pops a year, I'd win it at some point, even though I haven't yet.

dealing with the bug right now... is it even for those players that have played continental football for your club?  cos i cant even register players that are one club players for my team that have never featured for the senior team

and if i dont win the champions league this year, will i be able to register the same players again next year or are they then bugged for the second year?

it's really hit and miss cos i just signed someone who has played continental football before but i can register him but not others....

Edited by SkiIIs

27 minutes ago, SkiIIs said:

dealing with the bug right now... is it even for those players that have played continental football for your club?  cos i cant even register players that are one club players for my team that have never featured for the senior team

and if i dont win the champions league this year, will i be able to register the same players again next year or are they then bugged for the second year?

it's really hit and miss cos i just signed someone who has played continental football before but i can register him but not others....

They never become registerable. I'm surprised that you can't register players that have come through your club. Post a screenshot of the registration page on this thread if it's not a hassle. I thought i understood the bug. 

Edited by vikeologist

5 hours ago, vikeologist said:

They never become registerable. I'm surprised that you can't register players that have come through your club. Post a screenshot of the registration page on this thread if it's not a hassle. I thought i understood the bug. 

further twist, even though i wasnt able to register them, i was able to play them in the qualifying games so far...

2 hours ago, SkiIIs said:

further twist, even though i wasn't able to register them, i was able to play them in the qualifying games so far...

That's interesting because either this bug doesn't affect everybody. (It had affected all of us in S Africa up to now, plus of course the many others posting on the bugs tracker) or I was wrong about the nature of it.

I'm pretty certain it's not been fixed via an update.

Vikeologist's 2029 Atlas and Pumas Report 

I made a big decision to jump ship from Atlas to Pumas at the end of the regular season.

It’s 2 whole seasons down the drain, but I’ve regretted taking the job almost from the start, and the team seem to be getting worse rather than better.

Pumas are a bigger side. Their players are better. Their players are more registerable for the Champions League. They finished above us in the initial CL group stage meaning they  went straight through, whereas we’re having to negotiate our way through a thankfully easy pair of playoff rounds.

Both team were in the playoffs, which highlights the craziness of the league system in Mexico.

Atlas finished 3rd in the regular season, with 38 points from 17 matches. We did also have a Champions League match against FC Dallas immediately in order to stay in that competition.

Pumas sneaked into the playoffs on the last match of the season finishing 11th with 17 points from the 17 matches. Obviously this meant we had an extra round to get through in the playoffs.

We lost that match. Having taken over, I’ve become aware of some problems. Yes, the first XI are better, but there’s no squad depth. Half my squad seems to be strikers, which is bad because I only use one striker, so I’ll have to change my formation to use 2 for the next season.

However, there is money to bring in new players, should I be able to find ones registerable for the Champions League. Ideally I’ll win the Champions League this season with the players I have, and just be able to bring in the best players to win the league. I just need to do well enough in the next league season to ensure I qualify for the CL again.

I just don’t think I was going to win things with Atlas any time soon.

Now I just need to play the rest of the playoffs to see if Atlas win the league without me.

Domestic
Season	Team		Division	Position	MVP			Notes										
22/23	Black Leopards	S African L1	5th					Took over with 8 matches to go.Edge of relegation to edge of promotion.
23/24	Black Leopards	S African L1	1st		Kiyaam Bull 		SA Cup Q/F
24/25	Kaizer Chiefs	S African Prem	10th					Took over with 6 matches to go. Won SA Cup.
25/26	Kaizer Chiefs	S African Prem	2nd		Sphesihle Maduna	Won Confederations Cup.
26/27	Kaizer Chiefs	S African Prem	1st		Mduduzi Shabalala	League, ACL, SA Cup, S8 Cup.
2027	Atlas		Mex 1st Ap	12th					Took over after 8 matches. Lost in Playoffs Prelim
2028	Atlas		Mex 1st Cl	2nd		Connor Buck		Lost in final.
2028	Atlas		Mex 1st Ap	2nd					Lost in S/F
2029	Atlas		Mex 1st Cl	2nd		Kevin Castañeda		Lost in final.
2029	Atlas		Mex 1st Cl	3rd					Left before playoffs
2029	Pumas		Mex 1st Cl	n/a					Lost immediately in playoff plelim.

International
Year			Team				Achievements
23-24			Fiji				Oceania Cup S/F
24			Morocco U23			Olympics Losing Finalists
26-27			Iran				Asian Nations Cup losing finalists
27-			Morocco				ACON S/F

Challenge Progress 3/32

Club
 1/10 top domestic leagues 		(S Africa)			
 1/10 domestic cups 			(S Africa)							
 1/5 club continental championships	(Africa)		
 0/1 club world championship

International
 0/5 continental tournaments 		
 0/1 World Cup	

29301.png?lm=1551282073

BEIJING BSU 2026

b435aeea15ea3d703765e7d3238139b0.png

An awesome season, 10 more points than last season, and a 3rd position to secure a ACL position next year. Signings were made mainly to get a stronger defense, which was achieved (27 conceded in league). However, substitutes are a bit weak, so will have to try improve there and in the midfield. Shangai SIPG are too strong for the reast of the league, so I find it almost impossible to had Chinese Superleague to the trophy cabinet.

17e637881f008287a78b4f8a53907428.png

No need for a new striker, however, as Chris Shimbaev won golden boot with 38 league goals and 42 overall.

ae4da50aa9b3032bffe4898708b62f98.png

Our first year in the Asian Champions League was a bit of dissapointment. Got kicked out in the last preliminary round on the penalties, so I am a little dissapointed for not making it al least to the group stage. In the Chinese Cup, got knocked out by Shangai SIPG in the 5th round.

So, about to start the 5th season now, so willing to move to another team - maybe in South Korea - for a better opportunity to win ACL and star the tittle count!

Title count: 0/32

All images

Season 2028/29 - South African Premier League - Kaizer Chiefs

After a solid half season last year, the aim was to sure up the defense and continue the momentum into my first full season with here. Also wanting to give a good crack at winning Kaizer's first ever Champions League.

What I wasnt ready for was the ridiculously good season we were about to have.  Never in all my years playing football manager have i had an invincible season in the league, let alone in all major competitions. 

The league was much tighter than it looks even if we didnt lose a game.  With 3 games to go, our lead at the top was only 2 points until Orlando threw away the last three games. 

1174281230_2023-01-16(2).thumb.png.5c0a4fc8b2b0a3e09ab0df716121fdf1.png

In the Champions League, we breezed through qualification and were then paired against none other than Orlando Pirates in the group stage. I was licking my lips hoping we could knock out the current holders in the Group stage. It wasnt to be despite beating them home and away as they finished second in the group but were then matched up against SuperSport. 

SuperSport beat them in the tie after losing the away leg 2 - 0, but then smashed them 4 - 0 at home. We breezed through the QF against 3 time winners during this save so far Zamalek of Egypt, and  also took care of last year's runners up Wydad Casablanca of Morrocco to set up an all South African final.

First leg was away and I almost had a full team to choose from, we won in a tight game 1 - 0 with Sifama my back up right winger scoring in the 61st minute. The second leg was disrupted by the AFCON games kicking off so I had half my team travelling, whilst they only had 3 players missing.  One of them was suspended for the game anyways.

My back up team stood up and we won comfortable 2 - 0 to become champions of Africa!

image.thumb.png.44fe7efd319531503fbf3cbe196d0278.png

1672366039_2023-01-16(7).thumb.png.aa0e9f8adf78baf235836e36d02f476f.png

After this incredible season, this chapter is complete in the quickest possible fashion I could have expected. There's a couple of interesting jobs available which ive been so far unsuccessful. I tendered my resignation immediately after Guanzhou couldnt agree a compensation fee and hindered my opportunity there. 

image.png.65615cd083fb16d67edfdc96d0006a2f.png

Edited by SkiIIs

Crest.png.30ecaa4fbbc8274c7c68f786065fa726.png

Paris Saint-Germain: 2046/47 Review

Having won a surprise title with Real Madrid last season I had the opportunity to head to Paris to try and grab more silverware. I joined PSG fresh off the back of a sixth straight Ligue 1 title last time around hoping to pick one up of my own. I’m hoping to be here for just the one season and to try and grab as many available trophies as possible during that time.

I was presented a modest £20,000,000 as a transfer budget but rectified that by clearing a whole host of players I didn’t plan on using. A further £140,000,000 was raised and I splashed that cash on two midfield reinforcements. Firstly I brought young Turkish anchor man Melih Bayram from Madrid in a £55,000,000 deal before signing another player I have already signed. 22-year old Argentine Abel Arce arrived from Lille in a £85,000,000 deal that could rise up to £95,000,000 in the future. I never actually managed him with Lille, but I was the man who confirmed his arrival their shortly before I was sacked.

My reign started with the Trophee de Champions which is basically the super cup of France. We were held 0-0 by Stade de Reims but clinched the trophy on penalties. Hopefully that would be the beginning of a season of success for us.

554001718_FinalTable.png.d81d9774a45376ed452869b5ab090f30.png

We did manage to lift the league title but it’s fair to say it didn’t happen as comfortably as it probably should have. We started the season well enough before suffering a blip before Christmas and never really bouncing back. Little glimmers of form came after the new year but we just didn’t perform consistently enough. Back to back defeats against Stade de Reims and Saint Etienne meant we were third and far from favourites but we found a way to close a five point gap with four games to play. We regained top spot on the penultimate day before clinching a win over Bordeaux to lift the trophy as champions. A seventh successive title for PSG.

961191348_LeagueCelebrations.png.ecc045c0b33086f1d992af96dab6446d.png

Outside of the league we out in a good show in the Champions League but failed miserably in the French Cup. Bayern Munich eventually knocked us out of the continental tournament at the Quarter Final stage, and FC Metz eliminated us in our second game of the domestic cup as I was punished for making far too many changes.

With that I resigned from my position and set about finding a new nation to head to. I didn’t enjoy my time here but thankfully winning the title chalks another trophy off and enables me to leave. With England we’re cruising along nicely in our European Championship qualification group, but did just lose out to Portugal to prevent us winning a second successive Nations League crown.

Season	 Team				League			Position			Notes & Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2022/23	 Polokwane City		S.Africa Div1		  8th
2023/24	 Polokwane City		S.Africa Div1		  1st (C)		SA First Division Winners
2024/25	Mamelodi Sundowns	S.Africa Premier		   -
2025/26	Kaizer Chiefs		S.Africa Premier	  2nd			SA Cup Winners
2026/27	Kaizer Chiefs		S.Africa Premier	  1st (C)		SA Premier League Winners, SA Knockout Cup Winners
2027/28	Kaizer Chiefs		S.Africa Premier	  1st (C)		SA Premier League Winners, SA Knockout Cup Winners
2028/29	Kaizer Chiefs		S.Africa Premier	  1st (C)		SA Premier League Winners, African Champions League Winners, SA Cup Winners, SA Knockout Cup Winners
2030	Inter Miami FC		MLS			  3rd
2031	Inter Miami FC		MLS			  4th
2032	Inter Miami FC		MLS			  1st (C)		MLS Cup Winners,
2033	Inter Miami FC		MLS			  10th
2034	Inter Miami FC		MLS			  4th			NA Champions League Winners,
2035	Flamengo FC		Brazilian Premier	  2nd		Rio State Winners,
2036	Flamengo FC		Brazilian Premier	  1st (C)	First Division Winners,
2037	Flamengo FC		Brazilian Premier	  3rd		Copa Libertadores Winners, Brazilian Cup Winners, Rio State Winners
2038	Pohang Steelers		Korean K-League	 	   1st (C)		K-League Winners
2039	Pohang Steelers		Korean K-League		   1st (C)		Asian Champions League Winners, K-League Winners
2040/41	AS Roma			Serie-A			   n/a
2040/41	Eintracht Frankfurt	Bundesliga		   n/a
2041/42	Inter Milan			Serie-A		   n/a
2041/42	Lille				Ligue 1		   5th
2042/43	Lille				Ligue 1		   2nd		Europa Conference League Winners
2043/44	Lille				Ligue 1		   n/a
2044/45	Real Madrid			La Liga		   3rd
2045/46	Real Madrid			La Liga		   1st (C)		La Liga Winners
2046/47	Paris Saint Germain		Ligue 1		   1st	Ligue 1 Champions

2030-2032	Mexico	
2037-2041   Ivory Coast	
2042-2044   Spain
2044-		England (2045 Nations League Winners)

6/10 Domestic Leagues (2026/27 SA Premier League, 2032 MLS Cup, 2036 Brazilian First Division, 2038 K-League, 2045/46 La Liga, 2046/47 Ligue 1))
2/10 Domestic Cups (2025/26 SA Cup, 2037 Brazilian Cup)

4/5 Club Continental Championships (2028/29 African Champions League, 2034 NA Champions League, 2037 Copa Libertadores, 2039 Asian Champions League)
0/1 Club World Championship

1/5 International Continental Tournaments (2041 AFCON)
0/1 World Tournaments

TOTAL: 13/32

Crest.png.1828bde4039f7d4734e0677a08fb607b.png

England: 2048 European Championships

I would end up out of a club job for a year, right up until leading my England team into the European championships hosted by France. More on that later though. Initially my focus was on said international tournament though and finally trying to break my trophy drought at that level. I took an experienced and talented squad to the tournament, although we warmed up by only snatching a late 2-2 draw with Scotland after grabbing two goals in the last five minutes. With Milo Bedini we always stood a chance of winning honours though and I went into the tournament hoping for nothing less than a trophy.

We produced a dominant performance in our opener as we saw off Sweden 2-1. Bedini grabbed one in that game and then grabbed two in a 3-1 victory over Poland. We weren’t particularly good in that game but had done enough to clinch progression with a game to spare. Despite resting some players we then saw off Belgium 2-0 in a winner takes top spot contest to end our group campaign.

Our reward was a second round tie against Norway and a game we should be winning comfortably. We did eventually prevail 2-0 but in a rather lacklustre manner. I wasn’t fussed though as I’d rested a few players and was excited to reach the business end of the tournament.

1384802927_EuroKO.png.05755345ab599a1bdf05396cbc632ba8.png

Our run ended in the Quarter Finals against Serbia as we suffered an elimination much earlier than I had hoped. We absolutely dominated the first period but went in at half time a goal down. Our opposition scoring in stoppage time with their only attempt on goal. We controlled the second half and created chance after chance but just couldn’t find the breakthrough. In the end we needed a wonder strike from winger Richard Lavery to force extra time. We struggled through the extra half hour second best before succumbing to defeat 7-8 in the shoot out.

Unsurprisingly my reign with England was ended in the aftermath of the tournament as our early exit was one of the biggest shocks of the tournament. I wasn’t surprised to be sacked but I was disappointed. Through all of the good things me and England managed to do we didn’t manage to grab any major tournament silverware. My failures at international level are starting to hold me back now and I’m worried it simply isn’t going to happen.

I’ve jumped back on the bandwagon though and I now find myself as manager of France after their poor European Championships too. At club level I’m also back in management having signed a deal to take over at Portuguese Champions Benfica. Hopefully an opportunity to grab a couple more trophies towards the challenge in quick time.

Crest.png.0ac28df93ec44383c01f8ae97e3d9c16.png

SC Benfica: 2048/49 Review

I picked myself up after my European Championship failure and walked straight into a new club job with Benfica in Portugal. Having won the league title six times in a row I was hoping that I could continue their success by grabbing another. Having had a year out of club management I was keen to make this a swift trip and grab as much silverware as possible. 

I spent a little money on the squad but to be fair it was absolutely busting with quality. I mostly chose to add some depth, although midfielder Wilmer Moreno was a first team signing, joining from Lille in an £18,000,000 deal.

1666778635_FinalLeague.png.0d7e3da306ce5196572b14b38252741f.png

We would lift the league title but it certainly wouldn’t prove as straightforward as I would’ve liked. In fact if it wasn’t for 30-year old striker Raul Vazquez I don’t think we would have. We appeared in all 34 league matches for us, scoring a league high 36 goals. He popped up every time we needed something and I couldn’t have asked for any more. Defensively we were sublime, conceding 11 goals all season a quite ridiculous effort.

841422672_LeagueCupWin.png.665abb1281d54cfbeaca24885f9c628b.png

Despite failing in both the Champions League and the Portuguese Cup, we did manage to grab a double of trophies. Having breezed through our group we did well to comfortable see off Sporting Lisbon in the semi finals. I expected a tough final against bitter rivals FC Porto but my team put in an accomplished display to breeze to victory and lift the League Cup trophy. Unbelievably a first for the club since 2016. That’s a nice club drought for me to end during my reign here.

I’m pleased with what I achieved this season and with that I’ll move on to somewhere new. I’m not sure where yet but I do have my eyes on Germany. I’m fortunate that I can now comfortably approach any available job in the world and probably be given it as is my levels of club success. I’m hoping to take over somebody with plenty of money so I can jump in and out quickly again having clinched an array of trophies. We shall see where I end up next though, as it really is a case of being stuck in limbo right now for me.

Season	 Team				League			Position			Notes & Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2022/23	 Polokwane City		S.Africa Div1		  8th
2023/24	 Polokwane City		S.Africa Div1		  1st (C)		SA First Division Winners
2024/25	Mamelodi Sundowns	S.Africa Premier		   -
2025/26	Kaizer Chiefs		S.Africa Premier	  2nd			SA Cup Winners
2026/27	Kaizer Chiefs		S.Africa Premier	  1st (C)		SA Premier League Winners, SA Knockout Cup Winners
2027/28	Kaizer Chiefs		S.Africa Premier	  1st (C)		SA Premier League Winners, SA Knockout Cup Winners
2028/29	Kaizer Chiefs		S.Africa Premier	  1st (C)		SA Premier League Winners, African Champions League Winners, SA Cup Winners, SA Knockout Cup Winners
2030	Inter Miami FC		MLS			  3rd
2031	Inter Miami FC		MLS			  4th
2032	Inter Miami FC		MLS			  1st (C)		MLS Cup Winners,
2033	Inter Miami FC		MLS			  10th
2034	Inter Miami FC		MLS			  4th			NA Champions League Winners,
2035	Flamengo FC		Brazilian Premier	  2nd		Rio State Winners,
2036	Flamengo FC		Brazilian Premier	  1st (C)	First Division Winners,
2037	Flamengo FC		Brazilian Premier	  3rd		Copa Libertadores Winners, Brazilian Cup Winners, Rio State Winners
2038	Pohang Steelers		Korean K-League	 	   1st (C)		K-League Winners
2039	Pohang Steelers		Korean K-League		   1st (C)		Asian Champions League Winners, K-League Winners
2040/41	AS Roma			Serie-A			   n/a
2040/41	Eintracht Frankfurt	Bundesliga		   n/a
2041/42	Inter Milan			Serie-A		   n/a
2041/42	Lille				Ligue 1		   5th
2042/43	Lille				Ligue 1		   2nd		Europa Conference League Winners
2043/44	Lille				Ligue 1		   n/a
2044/45	Real Madrid			La Liga		   3rd
2045/46	Real Madrid			La Liga		   1st (C)		La Liga Winners
2046/47	Paris Saint Germain		Ligue 1		   1st (C)	Ligue 1 Champions
2047/48
2048/49	SC Benfica			Premier League	   1st (C)		Portuguese Premier Winners, Portuguese League Cup Winners

2030-2032	Mexico	
2037-2041   Ivory Coast	
2042-2044   Spain
2044-2048		England (2045 Nations League Winners)
2048-		France

7/10 Domestic Leagues (2026/27 SA Premier League, 2032 MLS Cup, 2036 Brazilian First Division, 2038 K-League, 2045/46 La Liga, 2046/47 Ligue 1, 2048/49 Portuguese Premier)
3/10 Domestic Cups (2025/26 SA Cup, 2037 Brazilian Cup, 2048/49 Portuguese League Cup)

4/5 Club Continental Championships (2028/29 African Champions League, 2034 NA Champions League, 2037 Copa Libertadores, 2039 Asian Champions League)
0/1 Club World Championship

1/5 International Continental Tournaments (2041 AFCON)
0/1 World Tournaments

TOTAL: 15/32

Title Trophy.png

I’m not going to lie but I’m starting to worry about how slow my progress is with this challenge. Thirty odd years in and I’m still not even half way to completion. Plus just the one international trophy so far. I see people flying through picking up trophy after trophy and worry that I’m gonna play through a hundred years and still not complete.

5 minutes ago, goonergez said:

I’m not going to lie but I’m starting to worry about how slow my progress is with this challenge. Thirty odd years in and I’m still not even half way to completion. Plus just the one international trophy so far. I see people flying through picking up trophy after trophy and worry that I’m gonna play through a hundred years and still not complete.

You are behind on the international competitions and cups, but with the former you can holiday through the 2 years between competitions quickly once you complete the club side, and with cup, there are nations that have 2 cups, including at leat  that has a cup outside of the league season, so the cup is all you're doing.

But I am rooting for you in the international competitions because I know you have an anthology of hard luck stories that outsells even mine.

Bear in mind that lots of people aren't in the hall of fame because they gave up. Completing in any in game year is an achievement. Usually in bloody mindedness and an inability to make healthy life decisions, but an achievement nonetheless.

Edited by vikeologist

Image result for Senegal Flag. Size: 280 x 165. Source: www.storyblocks.com

2029 AFCON Games - Senegal

After finishing runners up two years ago and not really losing any main players, I had high expectations going into this tournament at the third time of beckoning. We were given a relatively straightforward group with South Africa, Burkino Faso and Mozambique not really on our level and so we dispatched them 5 - 1, 4 - 1 and 3 - 0 respectively. In the second round, we were given Benin.

Second Round

Spoiler

a 6 - 0 demolition and our best performance yet.  Up next Guinea-Bissau, another favourable tie

Spoiler

Another easy result, winning 4 - 1 although late goals in the 81st and 95th made it look more comfortable. We have Egypt in the Semis

Spoiler

goals in the 22nd and 69th minute sealed a straight forward 2 - 0 win. We're looking really good at the moment and face Cameroon in the final who have not won it since 2017

Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

we simply did not turn up and bottled it losing 2 - 0.  They opened the scoring in the 25th minute in a counter attack after our left back went parading forward and lost the ball.  The second was in the dying minutes when we went all out attack for an equaliser.  Back to back runners up.  I will keep an eye out for international jobs out there as this is a hard pill to swallow

On the club front, after not being successful with the Porto interview, I have accepted the role with Sao Paolo in Brazil where they sit second from bottom after 10 games. 

On 28/12/2022 at 00:46, SkyjumperTalon said:

Couldn't resist the chance to manage at my favorite club...

Auf geht's Bayer!!

image.png.bd284e71ce3a335192675fb2d904e746.png

Club

After switching teams, I found myself in a decent position, but the squad just couldn't beat the teams that we needed to. Losing crucial matches to lower-side competition was the story of the season, and we missed champions league qualification by one point, of course, to the club I left: Hertha.

Country

My reign with Italy wasn't great, we dropped from 3rd to 6th after a poor showing in the nations league, and a tough loss in the Euros to Portugal sees us trophy-less. Even if I don't get sacked, I will, in all likelihood, try to switch teams. 

Challenge Progress
Club: Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Domestic Leagues 6/10 (1 Big 5)

2022: India (Aizawl FC)
2024: Indonesia (Persib Bandung)
2027: South Africa (Orlando Pirates)
2030: South Korea (Daegu FC)
2032: Mexico (CF Monterrey)
2034: France (Paris Saint-Germain)

Domestic Cups 5/10
2025: Indonesia (Persib Bandung)
2026: South Africa (Orlando Pirates)
2031: South Korea (Daegu FC)

Club Continental 3/5
2028: Africa (Orlando Pirates)
2031: Asia (Daegu FC)
2033: North America (CF Monterrey)

Continental 2/5

2027: Africa (Senegal)
2031: North America (USA)

Global 0/2

TOTAL PROGRESS: 16/32

Club
Season        Team                Position            Notes and Achievements
2021/22        Aizawl FC            1st                Champion of Airtel I-League, Indian Confederation Cup. Runner-up in Durand Cup
2022/23        Aizawl FC            3rd at resignation  Resigned with 1 game left in the season (title already decided). Runner-up of Durand Cup again
2023           Bhayangkara          4th                Runner-up of Piala Indonesia. Qualified for Asian Confederation Cup.
2024           Persib Bandung       1st                Champion of Go-Jek Liga 1. QF in Piala Indonesia.
2025           Persib Bandung       1st                Champion of Piala Indonesia
2026           Persib Bandung       1st (at time of departure)
2026-27        Orlando Pirates      1st                Domestic Quadruple (League, MTN 8, Telkom, Nedbank)
2027-28        Orlando Pirates      1st                Treble (League, Nedbank, Champions League)
2028-29        Brentford            6th                Lost in Playoff Semi-Final
2029           Daegu FC             3rd
2030           Daegu FC             1st                League Champions
2031           Daegu FC             1st                Treble (League, FA Cup, Champions League)
2031-32 CL     CF Monterrey         Cl. 1st            Lost in Clasura final
2032-33 AP     CF Monterrey         Ap. 1st            Won Clasura final
2032-33 CL     CF Monterrey         Cl. 4th            Copa MX Quarterfinal, won CCL
2033-34        PSG                  1st                Won Coupe de France, UCL Finalist
2034-35        Hertha Berlin        9th                UCL 3rd, UEL R16, DFB Rd.3
2035           Hertha Berlin        Left at 7th        Left midway through the season
2035-36        Bayer Leverkusen     5th                DFB Pokal SF

International
Season         Team                Competition                Notes
2022/23     Indonesia U-23         U-23 Asian Cup Quals      Guided the team to an unlikely qualification after beating Thailand 2-0 in an upset. Every goal mattered, qualifying as a 2nd place finisher on goal difference
2024        Bermuda                CONCACAF WCQ              Resigned after 2026 WCQ failure
2025        Congo RC               CAF WCQ                   Qualified for 2026 World Cup
2026        Senegal                World Cup                 Lost in Third Round to Brazil
2027        Senegal                AFCON                     Won in Final vs Morocco 4-1, resigned after win
2029        USA                    CONCACAF WCQ              Qualified for 2030 World Cup
2030        USA                    World Cup                 Quarterfinalists
2031        USA                    Gold Cup                  Champions
2034        Italy                  Nations League            Won Nations League Group
2035        Italy                  None
2036        Italy                  Euro 2036                 Lost in QF to Portugal

MVPS
2021/22: Richard Kassaga
2022/23: Travis Major
2023: Andik Vermansyah
2024: Wander Luiz
2025: Agus Santoso
2026-27: Agus Santoso
2027-28: Agus Santoso
2028-29: Shakur Omar
2029: Mariano Gomez
2030: Paik Sang-Hoon
2031: Cho Sang-Jun
2031-32: Daryl Dike
2032-33: Daryl Dike
2033-34: Dusan Vlahovic
2034-35: Joseph Owusu
2035-36: Florian Wirtz

Vikeologist's 2030 Closing Stage Pumas Report 

FC Pumas UNAM Como No Te Voy A Querer Soccer Team Digital Art by Thanh ...

It seemed that the season was about to end in crushing disappointment.

We lost the Champions League final on penalties, despite being ahead 3 times.

Then we reached the final of the league playoff, but could only manage a draw at home against Monterrey, who are basically the best team in Mexico. This meant we needed to win the away leg because we’d finished 2nd behind them (by a distance) in the league stage.

However, win we did. I have now, finally, won a trophy in Mexico.

Even if we hadn’t won the league, I wouldn’t have regretted changing horses to Pumas midway through the season.

Now I just need to win the Champions League. Hopefully I can strengthen the team during the summer, but I’m still not sure who can be registered in the CL, so I’m going to have to be very cautious about signings.

Some of the player stats aren’t going to seem that great because they sucked for the first half of the season without me.

Top Goalscorer – José Arraya – 17

12 of his 13 league goals were with me.

Highest Average Rating (minimum 10 matches played) – José Arraya – 7.34

Man of The Match – João Paulo – 5

I use him as an attacking midfielder, because I have too many strikers.

Most Valuable Player– Rubén Flores

My only good right winger. I brought him on near the end of the final league match (trying to ensure we finished 2nd) before the Champions League final, and he picked up an injury. If he hadn’t, I’m pretty certain that CL would have been ours.

---------

Next up, the World Cup with Morocco.

Domestic
22/23	Black Leopards	S African L1	5th					Took over with 8 matches to go.Edge of relegation to edge of promotion.
24/25	Kaizer Chiefs	S African Prem	10th					Took over with 6 matches to go. Won SA Cup.
25/26	Kaizer Chiefs	S African Prem	2nd		Sphesihle Maduna	Won Confederations Cup.
26/27	Kaizer Chiefs	S African Prem	1st		Mduduzi Shabalala	League, ACL, SA Cup, S8 Cup.
2027	Atlas		Mex 1st Ap	12th					Took over after 8 matches. Lost in Playoffs Prelim
2029	Atlas		Mex 1st Ap	3rd					Left before playoffs
2029	Pumas		Mex 1st Ap	n/a					Lost immediately in playoff plelim.
2030	Pumas		Mex 1st Cl	2nd					Won league. Lost Champions League on penalties

International
27-			Morocco				ACON S/F

Challenge Progress 4/32

Club
 2/10 top domestic leagues 		(S Africa, Mexico)			

International
 0/5 continental tournaments 		
 0/1 World Cup	

Image result for sao paolo football

Season 2029 - Brazilian First Division - Sao Paolo

Joining 10 games in and with the team in second last position (albeit with a couple games in hand), it was all about steadying the ship and building a strong foundation for future years. What was paramount was that there was an abundance of talent across the whole squad and reason why they made the QF of the Libertadores the year before.

As the transfer window was open and 17m available to spend, i brought with me Diop from Kaizer and Senegal for less than 1m and signed ex Everton midfielder in Weldon on a free.  A large chunk of the funds went to sign right back Calegari for 11m which is the area most of need. 

All players really gelled well and we climbed up the table to finish a very impressive 3rd and qualify for next year's Libertadores. With a record of 18 wins, 4 draws and 6 losses over 28 games, if we averaged that for the full year we would have finished off with 79 points which would have left us a couple wins away from the title.  So we definitely need to improve next year.

We've only been given a modest transfer budget of 6.5m so we'll have to be smart how we bolster up the squad.

2023-01-19.thumb.png.69d770fc734bcec1f54756f44010ef55.png

613528862_2023-01-19(1).thumb.png.266268ecfe6517c1eea5ae0001179043.png

image.png.ab6be1cc5eee0f57bf3696c254a84cb8.png

Edited by SkiIIs

1200px-Gangwon_FC.svg.png

2027: Unemployement/GANGWON FC

Lots of things happened from last update. My last season with Beijing BSU was a success: ended in a record 3r position in Chinese Superleague, however, I wasn't fully happy because we were out in ACL in preliminary stages. So, I was in a position with a squad good enough for ACL qualification every year, but still far from Shangai SIPG (winners of the last 5 years) and, of course, from top asian teams. Anyway, I went into transfer window with some interesting targets to improve the team... but it was a disaster. The board didn't gave us -in my opinion- a high enough transfer money or for wages, and due to the lack of it and with the club reputation lower than other teams, I wasn't able to sign any player. So, I felt frustrated and with a feeling that I had reached my ceiling at the club, so I decided to resign and look for a new position. The objective: Korean League 1.

So I was patient, and towars the end of the season, landed in Gangwon FC, a club struggling with relegation at the moment:

ef6cc10d871262103baf053f4066dcd0.png

But, as the roman emperors: Vini, Vidi, Vinci:

ff4e7e45b7237c8ed59b0fb1ddfed956.png

10 wins in 10 games (5 in the last games of the regular stage, and 5 more in the relegation group) secured a place in top division next season. Now my contract is expiring (signed only until the end of the season) and will see what is my best option: if there is a vacancy in the top 4 teams I'm going for it, if not, will sign a new contract and wait a bit more.

291d80a432dbec67a3d27380ad45e07c.png

Title count: 0/32

Vikeologist's 2030 Morocco World Cup Report 

Image result for Morocco Icon

Before the tournament

We only have to reach the Second Round for me to avoid being sacked.

Norway are actually quite highly ranked at the moment.

Obviously I’m really focussed on the African Nations in just over 6 months.

Group Stage

Morocco     2-0    New Zealand

Morocco     0-0    Norway

A draw was all we needed to top the group, and Norway are 6th in the world having lost the Euros 2 years ago in extra time.

On the other hand, all of the above is largely due to Haaland, who is out of the World Cup injured.

Next up is Tunisia, which will be a nice indicator of our African Cup chances.  

Second Round (if applicable)

Spoiler

Morocco     2-2p  Tunisia

We were dominating the match, but only 1-0 up. Then our best player picked up a straight red. From that point it was chaos. They missed a penalty. They had a player sent off. They scored a stoppage time equaliser. We went ahead in extra time. They equalised in extra time stoppage. Loads of players missed penalties, despite my keeping all my best takers on.

In the end, Tunisia came out on top. It doesn’t matter, but we were doing well in the competition before that idiot was sent off.

Third Round (if applicable)

Spoiler

n/a

Spoiler

n/a

Spoiler

n/a

Final / 3rd Place Playoff

Spoiler

n/a

After The Tournament

Spoiler

The ridiculous thing is that Tunisia had a really early draw and made it all the way to the final. That could have been us.

Frustrating to see all those open jobs, but I’m committed to one more ACON with Morocco.

Image result for sao paolo fc

Season 2030 - Brazilian First Division - Sao Paolo

After a really pleasing start to my career at Sao Paolo last season, confidence was high going into my first full season. The season starts off with the State Championships where we breezed through to the final where we played a two legged tie against Santos. First up we lost 4 - 1 in what was a total surprise. We managed to win the second leg 2 - 0 but couldnt get the third goal. I wasnt too fussed as this tournament wouldnt have counted towards this challenge anyways (i dont think).

The real season started off really poorly, we lost 4 games out of the first 6, meaning winning the title was just about over given Flamengo only lost 4 games in total for the year.  We did improve once we got going in the middle of the year but we could only manage to finish in 5th position, two places below last year's position despite 4 more points. 

In the Copa Libertadores which is the main priority so I can get out of this tough grind, we were given a fair group of Atletico Mineiro, Deportivo La Guaira of Venezuela and Millonarios of Colombia. We won all games apart from the last which we rested players against ATM at home where we lost 2 - 1.  In the draw, we were unfortunately paired in the same section as Flamengo who is far and away the best team in South America right now. We would meet in the QF after dispatching Instituto of Argentina in the second round.  First game at home against Flamengo, we put in a professional performance and won 2 - 0 where we scored both goals in the first half.  Was really pushing for a third in the second half but it was not to come. A handy lead going into the away leg. The away leg started of badly copping a goal in the third minute. We dusted that off for the rest of the half and went in 1 - 0 down at half time. We then conceded 3 goals in the space of 9 minutes between 64 - 73 minute mark which pretty much ended the tie.  We did peg one back in the 75th minute to give us some hope but then copped the killer blow in the 78th minute to knock us out.

On the positive side, we did end up winning the Brazilian Cup getting somewhat revenge on Flamengo who ended up winning the Copa Libertadores (against Atletico Mineiro), knocking them out in the semi final in penalties after two 1 - 1 draws.

2023-01-25.thumb.png.2bdc656730659e84f7c2d870af321b6b.png

image.png.27e0a4454f439de1206505d22cc47feb.png

Edited by SkiIIs

On 17/01/2023 at 22:24, SkyjumperTalon said:

Club

After switching teams, I found myself in a decent position, but the squad just couldn't beat the teams that we needed to. Losing crucial matches to lower-side competition was the story of the season, and we missed champions league qualification by one point, of course, to the club I left: Hertha.

Country

My reign with Italy wasn't great, we dropped from 3rd to 6th after a poor showing in the nations league, and a tough loss in the Euros to Portugal sees us trophy-less. Even if I don't get sacked, I will, in all likelihood, try to switch teams. 

Challenge Progress

Domestic Leagues 6/10 (1 Big 5)

Domestic Cups 5/10

Club Continental 3/5

Continental 2/5

Global 0/2

TOTAL PROGRESS: 16/32

Club

An amazing season! We somehow managed to win the league, which I was not expecting to do. A couple of 100 million signings helped us to financial debt but we will be able to turn a healthy profit off of their sales to pull us out. I don't know if I will stay to try to win the DFB Pokal or Champions League with Leverkusen or try to move elsewhere, we will see. If the right job opens up, I will take it, Germany is already complete. I also got to play against my favorite player, Agus Santoso, one more time! We were drawn against Spurs in the Europa League QF and he sent me packing - it felt bittersweet.

I am curious on your opinions - is it worth staying in Germany to try to take the cup? Or should I try to go elsewhere to speed things up?

Country

Took over Spain - looks like it's a decent squad in preparation for the World Cup. Really hoping we can make something happen here.

Challenge Progress

Domestic Leagues 7/10 (2 Big 5)

2037: Germany (Bayer Leverkusen)

Domestic Cups 5/10

Club Continental 3/5

Continental 2/5

Global 0/2

TOTAL PROGRESS: 17/32

image.png.48f78c95b4da0eb8635f82e95f33f21e.pngimage.png.9b6479407118d1a1e05af73d78732b1c.png

image.thumb.png.a97897b40be3d33ce86cc06130ec044e.png

10 hours ago, RoamingPlaymaker said:

Such a shame about the bugs I've read about as I really want to start this save.

Is it worth still giving it a go? What tips would you give to get around the squad registration bug? Or do I wait until the Winter update?

The way to get around is is to not sell your players who you can register,  or bring in players who you can register.  That second bit is tough though because if you bring in players from other continents,  you have problems with Foreigner numbers. 

No reason to believe SI will definitely fix it ,  even in the winter update. It clearly is a bit difficult to fix,  and although the N American one looks identical,  I'm not sure it is,  or that fixing one continent fixes the other.  Registration does work in other continents. I presume SI have put in more than absolutely zero effort to fix it. 

The bug makes things harder,  but not impossible. The only person still struggling to surmount it is me. 

Edited by vikeologist

Brief update on this, finally started the challenge on FM23 with my usual Swedish lower level save. Picked up a job with Karlbergs BK and managed to win back-to-back promotions (Level 4 - Level 2) before being hired by BK Hacken. 

Think the following says a lot about how open the Allsvenskan is rather than my abilities as a manager but...

Took over with 12 games and Hacken second bottom, managed to win the league on the final day! Talk about unfulfilled potential! :) 

Managed to add the Swedish cup at the start of the following season, before getting my first hire from the "big five" with the Brentford job. Wish me luck! 

9 hours ago, vikeologist said:

The way to get around is is to not sell your players who you can register,  or bring in players who you can register.  That second bit is tough though because if you bring in players from other continents,  you have problems with Foreigner numbers. 

No reason to believe SI will definitely fix it ,  even in the winter update. It clearly is a bit difficult to fix,  and although the N American one looks identical,  I'm not sure it is,  or that fixing one continent fixes the other.  Registration does work in other continents. I presume SI have put in more than absolutely zero effort to fix it. 

The bug makes things harder,  but not impossible. The only person still struggling to surmount it is me. 

Thanks for your reply. What a mess!!! I'm going to give it a go then and see what happens! Think starting in South Africa may be the best way to go, get it out the way, although I know getting a job there with no badges/minimal rep is tough

On 26/01/2023 at 21:03, RoamingPlaymaker said:

Such a shame about the bugs I've read about as I really want to start this save.

Is it worth still giving it a go? What tips would you give to get around the squad registration bug? Or do I wait until the Winter update?

Given the state of FM 23, I'm thinking of doing this challenge on FM 22, tbh.

2028: GANGWON FC

I'm here to start the tittle count!

20d8a76658412489935a8beb23be8d50.png

A great run on the Korean Cup, with the previous rounds being harder than the final, which was a double leg against a second division team. At last I'm on the way!

f7f020e6bcc3b72cae4cfd3c9d915bf6.png

It has also been a great season in K League 1, being close to win the championship. I was always 1-3 point behind Suwon, and kept it right to get the tittle stage only 1 point behind them. However, playing against the better teams saw us win only 2 in 5, including a 1-0 defeat against our direct rivals, which gave them the tittle. Bad luck, time to look forward to next season. None of the top 4 teams had a vacancy on the manager position (even with Ulsan and Jeonbuk not qualifying for ACL), so I signed a new contract with Gangwon.

3a57717fbed86e39571fdb909bca52d7.png

df25a1e1bb602e43dcbc3d7472c5626f.png

Title count: 1/32

SI have been going through the league specific bugs today, and given some updates.

Bear in mind that the African and N American CL registration problems look almost identical, but one shouldn't assume they are the same.

On N America.

On Africa

Do bear in mind that even if SI do fix them, there is no guarantee that they will be save game compatible, meaning that players might need to start a new save to take effect. They might not, but typically when there are bugs related to competitions, they do usually need a new save.

Obviously I'm gutted that these bugs have messed up this challenge. This thread(s) has given me a lot of pleasure over the years, and I'd love nothing more than to have more people taking part, but one should take into account the likelihood that if this is fixed in the winter update, a new save may be needed.

Also, although pretty much every SI response on these matters makes me angry, being patient and polite to SI offers the best chance of solutions. 

Hope for the best. Prepare yourself for more of the same.

Edited by vikeologist

16 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

SI have been going through the league specific bugs today, and given some updates.

Bear in mind that the African and N American CL registration problems look almost identical, but one shouldn't assume they are the same.

On N America.

On Africa

Do bear in mind that even if SI do fix them, there is no guarantee that they will be save game compatible, meaning that players might need to start a new save to take effect. They might not, but typically when there are bugs related to competitions, they do usually need a new save.

Obviously I'm gutted that these bugs have messed up this challenge. This thread(s) has given me a lot of pleasure over the years, and I'd love nothing more than to have more people taking part, but one should take into account the likelihood that if this is fixed in the winter update, a new save may be needed.

Also, although pretty much every SI response on these matters makes me angry, being patient and polite to SI offers the best chance of solutions. 

Hope for the best. Prepare yourself for more of the same.

Lets hope they actually fix it in the Jan update, I will be looking to start when the update comes out. My go and this challenge lasted 6 months before I was sacked!!!

Vikeologist's 2031 Morocco ACON Report 

Image result for Morocco Icon

This is probably my last tournament with Morocco.

I’ve had to lure my best player out of retirement for the second time in 2 years, and request that this time he doesn’t pick up a straight red in the knockout round when we’re 1-0 as he did last year at the World Cup.

My best defensive midfielder has retired after picking up a horrendous injury, and although I prefer to play with one striker, that’s exactly what I have. All my viable strikers are long in the tooth and absolutely nobody with any promise as a striker coming through.

A few of the players are injured for the first week or two of the tournament, but that shouldn’t be a problem.

Nonetheless, we should stand a good chance this ACON. It’s the last chance, but it’s a good chance.

Group Stage

Spoiler

Morocco     2-2    Burundi

Turns out those injuries are a problem. Came back from 2-0 down after 60 minutes.

Then Burkina Faso beat Egypt, so this group that I thought would be a cakewalk for Egypt and ourselves is now a hot mess.

Morocco     3-1    Burkina Faso

Team still playing as though they’ve never played together before. We might still need at least a draw against Egypt to progress, although most 3rd place teams also go through.

Morocco     4-0    Egypt

Match turned just before the hour mark when we were awarded a penalty which resulted in Egypt going down to ten men.

And out of the tournament.

We draw one of the third place teams that did go through, Guinea.

Not taking anything for granted anymore, but all my injured players in the squad are back now.

Second Round

Spoiler

Morocco     5-2    Guinea

Unfortunately, we now have what I believe to be the effective final against Nigeria.

2 years ago they beat us 7-6 after extra time. (Again, that’s not the penalty shootout result. Just the normal regular score). 10 of their starting 11 are over 30, and they lost to Ivory Coast in the group stage. Hopefully they’re declining faster than we are.

Quarter Final

Spoiler

Morocco     3-2    Nigeria

Vengeance. But it wasn’t easy. We took a 2 goal lead, but kept attacking, and they pulled 2 goals back. It ws tense all the way up to our third goal with about 5 minutes left.

I sort of hoped to kep up the revenge tour by playing Tunisia next to avenge last summer’s World Cup exit where we were cruising, but only 1-0 up, before our best player picked up a straight red. Tunisia then made it all the way to the final thanks to a ridiculously easy draw.

However, Tunisia were beaten in the quarters by Cameroon, so up next our best offence against Africa’s best defence.

Slight problem. 5 of our starting eleven are suspended, including our entire defence, and also the best player I keep mentioning. I have precisely 4 defenders left in the squad to replace them with.

Semi Final

Spoiler

Morocco     2-1    Cameroon

Had a bit of a scare when they pulled a goal back right at the end of the match. Was all a bit tense because I couldn’t sub my defenders who were on yellows.

Ivory Coast in the final. Should be close, but at least my defence is rested.

Final / 3rd Place Playoff

Spoiler

Morocco     1-0    Ivory Coast

Another straight red when we were 1-0 up, but this time it was our opposition, which I prefer. After that the match was pretty boring, which I also prefer for stressful finals.

After The Tournament

Spoiler

It’s great to secure the ACON. It can be a tough competition to win, as I can attest to.

It’s a bit emotional saying goodbye to Morocco. It’s not just the last 4 years as national coach. A lot of these players were also in my Olympics U23 squad that reached the final 7 years ago. I can’t actually guarantee that I’d have had the heart to step down if we hadn’t won this.

Success is always a bit bittersweet in this challenge.

My striker Youssef En-Nesyri (who lit up that Olympics) has 162 caps and 128 goals. He actually scores more goals for Morocco than as a starter for his club, Sevilla.

Now I just have to hope that the S Korea manager steps down after the upcoming Asian Nations Cup final.

Update: He did not, so I'll resign from Morocco and wait to see what comes up.

Domestic
2030	Pumas		Mex 1st Ap	1st					League champs

International
27-31			Morocco				ACON S/F
							WC R2
							ACON winners.

Challenge Progress 5/32

Club

International
 1/5 continental tournaments 		(Africa)	
 0/1 World Cup	

Edited by vikeologist

So I've finally gotten round to starting this challenge, and after holidaying to December I finally have a job offer that is reasonable...

Unlike the last time out where I started in Scotland, this time we're off to the  complete other side of the globe... South Africa

Baroka F.C. logo.svg

BAROKA FC - TAKEOVER DECEMBER 2022

It's time to venture to the South African First Division to a club with quite possibly the worst crest I've ever seen. Baroka do not have much history, so shamelessly stolen from Wikipedia..

Baroka F.C. is a South African football club from Ga-Mphahlele near Polokwane, Limpopo that plays in the in South Africa's second division

Also known as the Motsepe Foundation for sponsorship reasons, following their relegation from the top tier commonly referred to as DStv Premiership

The club rose to prominence in 2011 by reaching the semi-final of the 2011 Nedbank Cup, defeating several Premier Soccer League sides like Moroka Swallows and Kaizer Chiefs along the way. They also won the 2010–11 Vodacom League Limpopo division, but subsequently fell short at the playoff stage, to win the aspired promotion for National First Division. In their debut season in the National First Division they came close to gaining promotion play-offs to the Premier Soccer League but fell short on goal difference on the last day with a 1–1 draw against Thanda Royal Zulu.

Yeah, they've been around 15 years. Anyway, the club were relegated from the Premier League last season, and consequently find themselves as media favourites for the First Division title. However, things are not going to plan

image.png.c698fec76ff1f4d16dff970447cea323.png#

This is why the job appealed to me. We're around half way through the season and 7 points behind leaders Venda. This is completely doable given the supposed strong squad we've got.  I must admit that I've not really taken much stock of whos here, but ultimately I'm hoping we can get a very quick league title in the bag. I'm aware this doesn't count towards the challenge, but nevertheless a trophy win this early on could prove very useful to securing a better job a lot faster.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has taken a South African team to the Premier League and had success quickly? Although I make reference to getting a better job early on above, there's also the scope of the ACL in the future if we could build a team up. 

Will check in at the end of the season. Ciao ciao.

Anyone know how to fix this bug?

Most of the teams in Brazil (any team who has fired a head coach since 2030, I'm almost in year 2038) do not have a head coach, but are not hiring any new head coaches.

This only applies to Brazil, and this only eliminates Brazil from completing the challenge, but I would like to use a brazilian team.

image.thumb.png.384ac8ddd5e6150b9246d54291d4bd69.png

3 hours ago, SkyjumperTalon said:

Most of the teams in Brazil (any team who has fired a head coach since 2030, I'm almost in year 2038) do not have a head coach, but are not hiring any new head coaches.

This only applies to Brazil, and this only eliminates Brazil from completing the challenge, but I would like to use a brazilian team.

If you're going to report it as a bug,  I'd do it immediately to have any hope of a fix for the winter update,  nut you clearly have a brazilian name fix there,  so I'd try removing that if you can,  and see if that helps. Or remove and add the league a year latet.  Not sure if any of this will help. Not sure anyone else has reported this. 

Also,  maybe Its because teams are playing state champs instead of league Atm. Hard to tell from that screenshot. Might rectify itself. Some teams not replacing managers is common. 

Edited by vikeologist

Vikeologist's 2030-1 Pumas Report 

FC Pumas UNAM Como No Te Voy A Querer Soccer Team Digital Art by Thanh ...

The important thing was the Champions League, which we won. I could give you more details, but honestly, we didn’t have any real scares.

I also won the league twice, finishing top of the regular season as well.

So with 3 league titles, a Champions League and an ACON in just over 12 months, my challenge is back on track, and more importantly finally free of the shackles of major bugs; I hope.

It turned out that switching from Atlas to Pumas 18 months ago was a good move.

The only other league I currently have loaded is China, but if nothing good comes up there in 6 months, I have S Korea and Brazil queued up.

Top Goalscorer – Hugo Moreno– 43

19 year old wonderkid I inherited. He doesn’t have a release clause, but I would probably have had to sell him this off-season, so it’s goof that we managed to complete the job while he’s here. Maybe I’ll get the chance to sign him at a later club.

Highest Average Rating (minimum 10 matches played) – Hugo Moreno – 7.81

Man of The Match – Hugo Moreno - 12

Most Valuable Player– Hugo Moreno

Domestic
2030	Pumas		Mex 1st Ap	1st					League champs
2031	Pumas		Mex 1st Cl	1st		Hugo Moreno		League / NACL double.

International
27-31			Morocco				ACON S/F
							WC R2
							ACON winners.

Challenge Progress 6/32

Club
 2/5 club continental championships	(Africa, N America)		

International
 1/5 continental tournaments 		(Africa)	
 0/1 World Cup	

On 02/02/2023 at 13:48, SkyjumperTalon said:

It's all fine on my save, although I havent updated the name change and left it status quo

Image result for Senegal Flag. Size: 280 x 165. Source: www.storyblocks.com

2031 AFCON - Senegal

My fourth attempt to win the AFCON and second attempt with Senegal after finishing runners up two years ago.   A competition that has eluded me when heavy favourites in the final twice!   For some reason, registration was missed and it was not via holidaying which meant I went into the tournament with my previous named squad of 23 players which is less than the 26 that you're allowed to take.

More importantly, I wasnt able to take my wonderkid AMR and the best AML as both players play for me at Sao Paolo and as I dont name them in qualifying or friendly games (they overlap with league and Copa Libertadores matches).  Not happy!

And so the tournament began and ended in horrible fashion, not able to qualify out of the Group Stage and hence i now find myself as the new head coach of Nigeria!

2029: GANGWON FC

d969b8205afab9aecd5210202017e74d.png

d9e29b042c25f8919276cd2c14b11fa1.png

We are the league champions! I started doubtfully, with 2 loses and 2 draws, and I thought to myself that this wasn't going to be the year... but it was! It was a closer race with Ulsan that it looks at the end, but after we won the league they lost their last 3 games. Now I'm totally centered in Asian CL, as we are in the last stages after qualifying from group stages as one of the best seconds. I will update it in the next season, as K League runs february- october and ACL june to june.

306186face6bc6c8e6a48cf1244b0e87.png

dbdbf387f3dcc3fe8d410934b6a97947.png

Title count: 2/32

33 minutes ago, ANGL said:

2029: GANGWON FC

d969b8205afab9aecd5210202017e74d.png

d9e29b042c25f8919276cd2c14b11fa1.png

We are the league champions! I started doubtfully, with 2 loses and 2 draws, and I thought to myself that this wasn't going to be the year... but it was! It was a closer race with Ulsan that it looks at the end, but after we won the league they lost their last 3 games. Now I'm totally centered in Asian CL, as we are in the last stages after qualifying from group stages as one of the best seconds. I will update it in the next season, as K League runs february- october and ACL june to june.

306186face6bc6c8e6a48cf1244b0e87.png

dbdbf387f3dcc3fe8d410934b6a97947.png

Title count: 2/32

interested to see how you fare with a Korean team in the ACL.  I've only won it with a Chinese team and have never managed in Korea, so wondering if it's a viable option for the future

In my save I've taken over a Korean team (Suwon) because I think they're a better bet than a Chinese team.

Not denying China's been a good bet in the past, but in this 10/11 year save, no Chinese team has even come close. 8 years since there was even a Chinese team in the S/F. All the winners are from unplayable leagues such as Japan or Western Asian nations.

Australia are by far the highest team coefficient-wise of the playable nations in 4th (and Korea's places has just dropped due to poor performance in the ACL). Korea is 6th China 8th.

I'm not saying Korea is the better choice. Us managing teams is different from the AI.

In the past I'd say my winning the ACL has been roughly half and half between the 2 nations.

Edited by vikeologist