What's the worse looking adjustment you've done that actually worked?

Just had a game against Wolves 5-4-1, where every time we lost the ball they just hoofed it upfield. Their front three just ran like madmen, and their wingbacks were basically just behind the wingers, ready to continue the freight train to our byline. 

I swear it was very painful to watch. It was like the beginning of football, where some guy just runs with the ball with people behind him, ready to pick up the ball and continue the dribble if he loses it.

40702623_Screenshot2020-09-24at8_35_58PM.thumb.png.2a700200f1ffbece512b0caef5d53385.png

This was our original plan, which looked nice and balanced, but we just got bullied in the final third, leading to hoofballs upfield.

1399182142_Screenshot2020-09-24at8_34_17PM.thumb.png.5541986c5adfba54000bc6bd1f4d50cd.png

So I ended up with this insanely ugly looking adaptation.

660965954_Screenshot2020-09-24at8_28_30PM.thumb.png.74a24dce1ea6efcce79907fe21479d60.png

But it worked. My only goal in adapting was to stop the stupid freight train down our flanks. We escaped with a 1-0 victory, though it's probably more to luck than tactical acumen. 

Edited by Experienced Defender
inappropriate word

We play possession based 4-2-3-1 formation. We're favorites in our league in almost every game, so we used 'positive' mentality combined with short passing and  slow tempo. 

We dominated possession, but were unable to create chances, so as a result it led to a lot of ugly draws and half of our goals came from set pieces. Ugly to watch either way.

Things changed when I switched to balanced mentality, mixed passing and tempo. It looks like it's most generic and has no connection to possession-based game, but our possession % didn't change much. However, our defense is less vulnerable to counters and in attack we play much more forward passes, passes into space (when we find it) and through balls, so in conclusion a lot more goal-oriented game. 

I think mine was a switch from a 4-4-2 to a slight asymmetrical one, in game(just moving my ML to an AML position). Bournemout save. Created too many chances but was losing bare games. Decided to lessen a lot of instructions & make the switch. Helped us to a 4th placed finish. Good save. 

Also, i noticed our possession numbers balanced out when my fowards (wide attackers) where on supportive duty & my LOE went up. It made sense  why. 

I feel like most FM players are purists and we want to play progressive football but sometimes just going direct is the obvious solution. I won 5/5 available trophies in my first seasons with San Lorenzo.  If things weren't working I'd often change my Inside Forward to a Wide Target Man, he's not the strongest but he's 6'2 (188cm) and a good header of the ball so dominated most fullbacks, who seem to be especially small in Argentina. It seems a bit unrealistic fiddling with player roles when you can occasionally just play to a specific strength.

Doesn't fit the title at all but if I'm dominating a game but can't break through a deep massed defence with my current Roma side rather than altering passing, tempo, pressing etc. I use Run At Defence. Generally speaking everyone on the field except my GK, CBs and DM are capable dribblers, they then win enough set pieces by drawing fouls (or sprinting down the flank and smacking it into their marker for a throw / corner) that my set piece routines then become the deciding factor in the match i.e. we win 3-0.

8 hours ago, zlatanera said:

Doesn't fit the title at all but if I'm dominating a game but can't break through a deep massed defence with my current Roma side rather than altering passing, tempo, pressing etc. I use Run At Defence. Generally speaking everyone on the field except my GK, CBs and DM are capable dribblers, they then win enough set pieces by drawing fouls (or sprinting down the flank and smacking it into their marker for a throw / corner) that my set piece routines then become the deciding factor in the match i.e. we win 3-0.

Your set piece routines must be magnificent, then, to actually score goals from. I was also using Run at Defence, but found it very hard to convert set piece shots on goal into actual goals.

1 hour ago, Bunkerossian said:

Your set piece routines must be magnificent, then, to actually score goals from. I was also using Run at Defence, but found it very hard to convert set piece shots on goal into actual goals.

My set piece takers are: 15+ on Corners, Free Kicks, Anticipation, Decisions, Vision on a couple of them plus the rest of my team are giants. 

My Short Throw-In Routine is pretty much an exploit at this point (FM19) the amount of time it sets up a shot from the D though. 

Just now, zlatanera said:

My set piece takers are: 15+ on Corners, Free Kicks, Anticipation, Decisions, Vision on a couple of them plus the rest of my team are giants. 

My Short Throw-In Routine is pretty much an exploit at this point (FM19) the amount of time it sets up a shot from the D though. 

FM 19? Ah, that explains it. On the current version, it's not really helpful to play for set pieces.