New Stadium Bug? Or 20 years limit?

Summary: Not able to build a new stadium because current stadium is too new, but have no expansion possibility.

Description of Issue:  York City build new stadium in 2019, with about 12.500 with no possibility for expansion. So i go on and i am currently in Premier League and Champions League, have sold out stadium for years, season tickets takes all capacity. Club is rich etc. But there is no choise to build a new stadium. This has been the case with York in Fm18 and 19. I know that then there was a 20 years limit, because each of these games, after 20 years since York Community was build, i got the option to build a new one. So I am quite certain, and i saw others "confirming" it. There is a 20 years limit. On twitter, FM20 official said there was no such requirement in FM20. But how come the board will not let me even ask for a new stadium? Ofc a club with such success would build a new stadium with a bigger capacity. York is a big city etc. 

Steps to Reproduce: No need, just check board interaction. Not been able to talk about stadium in 10 years. Cannot upload game file because the mb limit of my savegame is too big?

This has been happening for years. 3 different versions of FM I've had Ebsfleet promoted to the Prem. They always built a new stadium with an expansion capacity of 10k. Usually when promoted to League 2. Ended up stuck in the Prem with a tiny stadium for years. 

I hope we can get an official explanation for this. There seems to be very little information about this. And it is a crucial question. Its not "real" that a board would just not even look into the possibility to do something. And, for the game, it is extremely frustrating to try to compete with top 5 in Cl and PL with a 12.500 stadium...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Indeed, think its 25 years. Im with York in 2040, and still nothing. Even tried the editor to trigger conditions for the board, but nothing happens. Its hard coded into the game. Its a bit weird that the developers dont just say it ? Or give us some information about it. Its also a very random thing to put into the game. 25 years is a very long time.

• 1 year later...
On 14/01/2020 at 08:17, Toro said:

Indeed, think its 25 years. Im with York in 2040, and still nothing. Even tried the editor to trigger conditions for the board, but nothing happens. Its hard coded into the game. Its a bit weird that the developers dont just say it ? Or give us some information about it. Its also a very random thing to put into the game. 25 years is a very long time.

Im York in 2028, and still have max capacity of 10,000. 

In FM20 (maybe FM19) I got Hampton and Richmond to the Prem. Consecutive promotions (silly really) meant we were constantly having to upgrade/build a new stadium, as each league up the pyramid required ever increasing sizes. Luckily for me, the clubs situation (literally I think) meant the Beveree could be expanded. Until reaching the Prem, where we needed to build our 3rd new stadium in about 8/9 years. I spent nearly all of my journey playing at other grounds, mostly Millwall’s Den, until eventually I moved to our own new 50k stadium, built on a new site in the local area. 

Each club is different. Some have bad chairman’s, some have bad councils, some have bad locations. 

But building within 25 years IS possible. If the right conditions are met. Annoying we don’t get to see them. I feel it’s a bit pot luck.

Edited by Tyburn

I’m my FM 19 save I noticed Monaco were onto their third stadium in a 15 year period so their must be other circumstances that dictate if you can apply for a new one. 
I think one of these might be your town/city population. For example if your town has a population of 50k and you’ve already got around 20-30k season tickets Then it might be viewed that you’ve already maxed out your fan base so realistically the board don’t think a bigger stadium is needed.

There isn't a limit now as far as i can see as on my save with Lancaster we got a new stadium when we got into the Championship as ours was less than the minimum, however what could be a bug is that they built one too small for the Premiership even if expanded so when we got promoted 2 years later they had to build us another new stadium.

The stadiums were only completed 3 years apart and they sold the first one to part fund the second one, both strangely were named the same after one of the club icons which annoyed me as i'm the only club legend.