Scouting setup - identifying newgen/regens

Hi guys,

I'm after some thoughts on how to best set up my individual scouts before and after the newgen dates.

I understand that I can find a list of all Youth Intakes through the World - Transfers tab, and then I can scout every single player at each intake date. However this is time consuming and also difficult with a small team of scouts as there can be hundreds of players coming through at each date.

Obviously the AI will be able to identify the best newgens earlier than me, so I'm looking for some advice on how to stop missing out on the best young talent that comes through each season. 

A few years ago on FM, I found it easier to bring in quality 16/17 years old and build a strong unit from U18 age group up to the seniors. Though I do think it is better now that maybe less are coming through and/or they are more difficult to identify, i'm currently playing a save where I am aiming to bring through a new 'Class of 92' 'Pep's Barca' etc....

Thanks for the help in advance. I know many of us love the scouting part of the game and i'm sure plenty have some useful tips to pass on...

11 minutes ago, tobybilton1 said:

Obviously the AI will be able to identify the best newgens earlier than me, so I'm looking for some advice on how to stop missing out on the best young talent that comes through each season.

This isn't how it works.  Newgens are generated at each club based on a wide variety of factors, including (but not limited to) your club's reputation, the quality of your facilities & staff, and the country you are in.  They're not generated and then allocated to a club - they simply appear at the club.

So if you want to improve your chances of generating better young talent, improve your club's standing in the world game and the quality of your facilities.  Remember though, this will only improve your chance, nothing will ever be guaranteed.

Thanks Herne, with the above I mean that the AI will be able to identify newgens (via their scouts) at other clubs quicker than I can, once the newgens have signed for the clubs they've been developed at.

Am looking for tips on how to best scout young talent from other clubs...

Are there specific scouting assignments to setup?

For example, if I send a scout to Eastern Europe looking at players aged 18 max, could I be missing out on talent from some countries that develop better players, when for example my scout is scanning Albania?

Am I better to have my scout looking at just Argentina than say Argentina, Brazil and Columbia all together...? How long is best to have them looking at one nation before moving them on? 

Just looking for suggestions on how people have setup their scouts on their games...

So, the basic way I have mine, is Top Countries\Leagues. Most will already know these.

IMHO, A scout working 1 country should have more time to check\recheck than if he has 4/5 to check.

Saying that, I still have at least 1 roamer, 1 in EU, 1 in South America.

I also want to build a homegrown team - So it's always worth me scouting the U23's/U18's

I debate myself if it's worth sending a scout looking for a Hot Prospect.

Feeder clubs can play a part, although Brexit seems to mean I just get UK clubs now. That's fine though - Filter by Facilities (Youth Rating, Facilities, Coaching etc).

So the main way to do this now, would be building the scout network through:

Better Scouts + Improving world Knowledge

Improving scout knowledge on the main countries we know produce good youth

Better Rep

Better Facilities

Bigger Networking (Affiliates)

Bar that - Hours will be spent looking through the youth intake days, and then re-scouting post season (Because in FM19, I've found that new signed contract = not interested at all).

15 minutes ago, IndyManager said:

At a League One club with three scouts currently, how many scouts do the biggest clubs in the world have on FM?

My current save I'm with Norwich. Started with 5, requested more straight away and got another. Once in PL after winning Champ in first season it went up to 8. Then requested more in autumn and now up to 10ish. 

I've had saves with Tottenham on past and present edition of FM when you can have about 20 scouts... with these numbers you can have a scout at all top nations, plus some scouts roaming regions, and others at competitions. 

On a Sunderland save I did after the recent Netflix Doc, I had one in Scotland looking at U21 players, and one looking at youngsters in League One and League Two. I know if you ask board to lift restrictions you should be able to look across Europe too.

27 minutes ago, tobybilton1 said:

My current save I'm with Norwich. Started with 5, requested more straight away and got another. Once in PL after winning Champ in first season it went up to 8. Then requested more in autumn and now up to 10ish. 

I've had saves with Tottenham on past and present edition of FM when you can have about 20 scouts... with these numbers you can have a scout at all top nations, plus some scouts roaming regions, and others at competitions. 

On a Sunderland save I did after the recent Netflix Doc, I had one in Scotland looking at U21 players, and one looking at youngsters in League One and League Two. I know if you ask board to lift restrictions you should be able to look across Europe too.

Thanks and Wow. Good incentive to make it to the top level.

Top clubs can have huge scouting teams.

My way of finding newgens - and I don;t play a youth save or anything, is to get scout reports from the top academies around the world (the range is set with my scouting range depending which club I am at at the time)

Simply, each month, check the transfers tab and find the clubs with the best academies, ask for a scout report on those intakes. They are then included in the regular scouting meetings and I can identify which of the newgens are worth keeping tabs on by shortlisting. Come the summer, when I have a bit of a clearout, I hit the shortlist for players to fill gaps in the u18 squad. 

This works at any level club, with any number of scouts - it's simply the time it takes, quality of reports and range that you can scout that differ.

Am currently at Sheff Utd  - so my scouts look at the top 15/20 academies around Europe. 

Lower leagues maybe only UK. Premier League also Asia and S. America.

9 minutes ago, Snorks said:

Top clubs can have huge scouting teams.

My way of finding newgens - and I don;t play a youth save or anything, is to get scout reports from the top academies around the world (the range is set with my scouting range depending which club I am at at the time)

Simply, each month, check the transfers tab and find the clubs with the best academies, ask for a scout report on those intakes. They are then included in the regular scouting meetings and I can identify which of the newgens are worth keeping tabs on by shortlisting. Come the summer, when I have a bit of a clearout, I hit the shortlist for players to fill gaps in the u18 squad. 

This works at any level club, with any number of scouts - it's simply the time it takes, quality of reports and range that you can scout that differ.

Am currently at Sheff Utd  - so my scouts look at the top 15/20 academies around Europe. 

Lower leagues maybe only UK. Premier League also Asia and S. America.

That's a great way to do it and one I will definitely try. 

Can I ask, on England intake take for example which can have 1000+ players coming through, how do you decide which clubs to scout? I take it you're going for the big six plus those renowned for their academies? What happens if say Burton Albion have a star in the ranks? Do you miss out on him and hope he is scouted in another assignment further down the line?

4 minutes ago, tobybilton1 said:

That's a great way to do it and one I will definitely try. 

Can I ask, on England intake take for example which can have 1000+ players coming through, how do you decide which clubs to scout? I take it you're going for the big six plus those renowned for their academies? What happens if say Burton Albion have a star in the ranks? Do you miss out on him and hope he is scouted in another assignment further down the line?

Pretty much. 

If I am a top club and scouting the world, then in England (off the top of my head) :

Man Utd

Man City

Liverpool

Spurs

Chelsea

Southampton

Everton

Middlesborough

Arsenal

Leeds

Hearts (yeah, Ok, Scotland as well)

Celtic

Rangers

Aberdeen can be worth a look while we have someone up there.

You can tie up more scouts and scout more (even ALL) academies so it's finding a balance you are comfortable with. There are lists around on other websites that rank the academies based on facilities , coaching etc.

The odd 'star' that appears at Burton will, I hope, be brought to my attention within a year or two of my 'normal' scouting - but you can't get too worked up if you miss one or two wonderkids early in their careers.

My scouting 'system' results in me having four different shortlists:

U18

U23

Squad

Key

Simply, any player with high potential that is picked up on intake at another academy gets shortlisted to the u18 list. He can stay on my shortlist until retirement - once he turns 18 he will move to the u23 list, and so on. On FM18, I bought a 28 year old that had been sitting in my shortlists since he was 16.

Archived