FM19 All_European (Less England) Challenge

58 minutes ago, rlipscombe said:

well done on retaining the title @yezzko.  Europe seemed tough but still learning.  Spyrka had a good season - can't ask for much more from a winger too.  good luck next season.

Thanks. Yep, domesticaly we are safely on the way to hegemony, in Europe we are not good enough yet, though. At least we got into the group stage. I'm very happy with Spyrka's performances, I think I have found a hidden gem in him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, with the beta out, looks like we end Serbia with a successful first season in the SuperLeague. Managed to finish in the top half, in 7 with 2 games to go until the playoffs. Getting into the top 5 to make Europa League probably out of reach.

Time for the 2020 challenge.

9 hours ago, Crispypaul said:

My Lyn save this time around didn't really work out, however it appears that they have added the (restructured) Welsh 2nd tier in to FM20 which is a very tempting challenge....

Ohhh!

My PC decided a few months ago that it was done with life and started crashing with alarming regularity, so I've not made any further progress at Widzew.

I have a bunch of new components arriving tomorrow and intend to get stuck into the FM20 version in the near future.

• 1 month later...

IFK Eskilstuna

IFK_Eskilstuna.png.2f138972783d7642be3b9e00da1cd7c1.png

Division 2 Norra Svealand– 2019 – 1st

Squad

Transfers

Overview

Promoted at the first time of asking. Recruitment went well and I was able to amass a strong squad for the start of the season. My main issue was that in improving the squad steadily I accrued a large squad of players and freeing up wage budget to increase the quality further proved difficult. However we proved immediately impressive, unbeaten in the first 18 games. By the time we were thrashed 4-0 away at Enskede for our first defeat of the season we were pretty much home and dried.

We should prove competitive next season with a further promotion possible if I can strengthen the weaker positions in the squad.

Key Players

Vedran Benca – Scored an impressive 20 goals from the number 10 position.

Mehmed Hafizovic – The left winger hit 12 goals from the wing.

Record

Season          League                          Position          Europe                        Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019             Div 2                           1st          

IFK Eskilstuna

Division 1 Norra– 2020 – 1st

Squad

Transfers

Overview

A second promotion in two seasons in charge. I was tasked with achieving the play-offs (2nd place) so I expected that the quality of the squad was there or there abouts to challenge. Another decent recruitment drive saw most first team players replaced with new recruits of higher quality. The added quality told ultimately with my two strikers the standouts. Mahmoud Eid and Lumala Abdu scored 15 and 16 goals respectively despite neither being a natural in their position.

Promotion was achieved comfortably with a seven point cushion over second place. Next season will be tough and I will

Key Players

Mahmoud Eid – Palestinian forward, scored 15 goals.

Lumala Abdu – Despite being a natural winger the Ugandan’s pace made him an asset as a no. 9

Record

Season          League                          Position          Europe                        Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019             Div 2                           1st                                            Promoted, Champions                                       
2020             Div 1                           1st                                            Promoted, Champions                                                                                

IFK Eskilstuna

Superettan– 2021 – 13th

Squad

Transfers

Overview

Our first season in the 2nd tier was difficult and although relegation was averted, this was only via a playoff. Despite this we had started strongly. I had been able to recruit some decent players and had a largely new squad, with the exception of the stars of last season, strikers Adbu and Eid. We won three of our first four games and looked to be coasting. A further victory over local rivals AFC Eskilstuna at the start of May was to be our last victory for three months however. Strong form in August saw us climb to a comfortable gap above the relegation playoff spots and despite only picking up a single point in four games stood outside the relegation zone by a point. I had actually misread the fixtures and thought this had been the final game and we had achieved safety without a playoff. Unfortunately we still had another fixture.. away at top placed Degerfors. We lost 2-1 and fell into 13th spot and so faced a playoff to secure our places in the Superettan. We were up against Norrby and comfortably thrashed them 8-3 on aggregate.   

Key Players

Christos Gravius – Midfield general signed on a free from AIK.

Patrik Karlsson-Lagemyr – Right winger hit 11 goals and 9 assists having signed from IFK Goteborg

Record

Season          League                          Position          Europe                        Achievements
2019             Div 2                           1st                                            Promoted, Champions                                       
2020             Div 1                           1st                                            Promoted, Champions 
2021             Superettan                      13th

IFK Eskilstuna

Superettan– 2022 – 11th

Squad

Transfers

Overview

Our second season in the Superettan was a more comfortable ride than the first. Despite only finishing three points above the relegation playoff spots, we never realistically were in danger. The pattern of the season was similar to the previous. We started strongly, winning five of our first seven fixtures. Form then dipped with no wins until the start of July. Form picked up and we climbed the table into a comfortable mid-table spot. A poor run in meant we slipped down the table but we were never looking likely to end up in relegation trouble.

Key Players

Oscar Uddenas – 20 year old Swedish left winger did well despite injury problems.

Laorent Shabani – ex-Malmo striker hit 16 goals in 31 games having signed on a free transfer.

Record

Season          League                          Position          Europe                        Achievements
2019             Div 2                           1st                                            Promoted, Champions                                      
2020             Div 1                           1st                                            Promoted, Champions
2021             Superettan                      13th
2022             Superettan                      11th

IFK Eskilstuna

Superettan– 2023 – 1st

Squad

Transfers

Overview

It was a rocky ride but promotion was achieved after three seasons in the Superettan. With two automatic promotion slots available, ourselves and local rivals AFC Eskilstuna were the standout teams. At the midpoint of the season the gap to third place was seven points and we were battling it out for the top spot. This form was prompted by the signings of 21 year old strikers Lund and Niklasson from IFK Goteborg for 10k and Kalmar for 50k respectively. Lunds pace was destructive and Niklasson was a great foil for him.

In mid-July we entered a disastrous run of form. No wins in six games saw us plummet down as far as fifth place. We picked up somewhat in the final eight games and climbed the table again. Going into the final game however we still sat in third place. The table was tight from to 1st place to fifth with only a three point gap. We played top placed Jonkopings at home knowing that a win would be enough to leapfrog them on goal difference. We then had to hope that Brommapojkarna who sat behind us but on the same points did not overhaul our goal difference, of which we had a +2 over them. We crushed Jonkopings 4-0 in the end. By a quirk of the results all of the top four finished on 57 points, we were top of the pile in 1st place by virtue of our goal difference.

We move onwards to the top flight. It  will be a difficult fight against relegation. I have a solid team so will be aiming at some marquee signings to bolster the quality of the squad.

Key Players

Pontus Lund – The rapid 21 year old striker signed for 10k from IFK Goteborg scored 18 goals.

Oskar Niklasson – Playing in the number 10 position the 21 year old striker only scored 4 goal but was a great partner for Lund.

Record

2022             Superettan                      11th
2023             Superettan                      1st                                            Promoted, Champions 

IFK Eskilstuna

Allsvenskan– 2024 – 10th

Squad

Transfers

Overview

Our first season in the Allsvenskan saw relegation comfortably avoided. It looked like this would be tough to achieve initially. Our wage budget was doubled with promotion but a fair amount of this was sucked into re-contracting the existing squad on professional terms. Beyond this there was enough to sign talented dometic players in left winger Dennis Johnson, forward Ali Arsian and left back Yahya Kaley. We started badly with three losses in our first three games but after this form improved. I regularly had to deploy an additional defensive midfielder turning my normal 4-4-2 formation to a 4-1-4-1. This pragmatism allowed me to grind out results and we were never in any danger.

Key Players

Dennis Jonsson – Left winger signed for £170k.from AIK and contributed 7 goals.

Mamadou Diakate – Left footed right winger signed from Senegal for 20k. Had an injury hit season but added 8 assists..

Record

Season          League                          Position          Europe                        Achievements
2019             Div 2                           1st                                            Promoted, Champions                                      
2020             Div 1                           1st                                            Promoted, Champions
2023             Superettan                      1st                                            Promoted, Champions
2024             Allsvenskan                     10th                                          

IFK Eskilstuna

Allsvenskan– 2025 – 6th

Squad

Transfers

Overview

A season of improvement with European football very close to being achieved, although ultimately just out of reach. The season started with a number of promising signings. 17 year old striker Calle Nilsson was the marquee buy at £450k from Trelleborgs. Right winger Joakim Arvidsson signed up for £160k from Hammarby and forward Raymond Diarra a free agent who I had chased for a while at the end of last season also joined. These additions in attack were significant but I had issues in defence with no remaining funds to deal with them. We had a patchy start to the season, losing five games out of seven in April. After this however we went undefeated until mid-August with all five games in May won. This pushed us up the table substantially.

In the mid-season break, Elfsborg entered a bid for left winger Dennis Jonsson. I was able to negotiate this up to £1m, by far our record transfer receipt. This helped a difficult financial situation cutting our deficit down to -£200k. It did leave me a hole to file at left wing. Without an obvious left winger on the market, I re-jigged my line up. Striker Diarra who had been in great goal scoring form moved to left wing while Ivorian striker Mohamed Bakayoko arrived for £150k to play upfront.

These changes were not immediately successful as players bedded in an form suffered. We came close to achieving a top 5 spot and a European place but in the end it was not to be. Hopefully with some decent acquisitions we will be able to do this next season. The defence is in dire need of re-inforcement as it is still fairly intact from the Superettan team.

Key Players

Record

Season          League                          Position          Europe                        Achievements
2023             Superettan                      1st                                            Promoted, Champions
2024             Allsvenskan                     10th                
2025             Allsvenskan                     6th                

On 06/01/2020 at 18:48, Biscotti said:

I know seasons are short in Sweden, but holy carp you get through them quick :eek:

Great work, though.

Lol, I was off work over Xmas so smashed through some seasons. This is why I posted a couple of updates on the same day as I just kept going and didn't get around to posting my updates. I find I can get through a season in a day fairly comfortably.

IFK Eskilstuna

Allsvenskan– 2026 – 11th

Squad

Transfers

Overview

A bit of a disastrous season saw us skirt uncomfortably close to the relegation zone before a late season revival pulled us clear. The squad was unbalanced and with little in the way of funds I was unable to recruit. I was in desperate need of re-inforcements in midfield and defence but with the club over a million in debt funds were not forthcoming.

Form was poor most of the season but we always had a decent gap to the relegation zone with this never less than five points. I had decided that the only way forwards was to bring in funds and I was resigned to offloading all my saleable assets to allow re-building for next season. In the mid-season transfer window Uruguayan midfielder Waldemar Irazoqui was sold to AIK for £675k and was subsequently followed by star striker Calle Nilsson who went to Bayern Munich for £2m plus lots of clauses. Nilsson was only 19 and was scoring at a remarkable rate. I would have liked to build a team around him but I took the funds.

The sales did not help form but we were fairly safe and I had reasonable reserves in their positions. It is likely further players will follow with African strikers Raymond Diarra and Mohamed Bakayoko likely to pick up decent fees.

Hopefully I can go into next season with a more balanced squad that can compete towards the top end of the table.

Key Players

Erik Fagberg – Young Swedish winger signed for £155k from Hacken.

Pekka Lehto – Talented 19 year old right winger arrived for £325 from Brommapojkarna and is a real prospect.

Record

2020             Div 1                           1st                                            Promoted, Champions
2023             Superettan                      1st                                            Promoted, Champions
2024             Allsvenskan                     10th                                          
2025             Allsvenskan                     11th                

IFK Eskilstuna

Allsvenskan– 2027 – 7th

Squad

Transfers

Europe – Europa League Group Stages

Overview

Hopefully this will prove to be our breakout season. I had begun the process of clearing out the first team the previous season with young striker Calle Nilson leaving for Bayern for £1m plus lots of clauses and Uruguan midfielder Irazoqui heading to AIK for £675k. These were followed by striker Mahamed Bakayoko to the middle east for £1.4m, right-back Jean Nyoumba to Borussia Dortmund for £1.4m and Karim Boateng to Hammarby for £1m. The funds from these transfers cleared our outstanding debts leaving us with a reasonable but not huge bank balance. Malmo appeared to be having a fire sale of their own and I was able to pickup Mamadou Diakhate, Lucas Wikman and Rigers Pashaj for less than half a million combined. Joining them were Teo Gronborg from AIK and Nika Kurshavishvili from Dinamo Tblisi. Non of these cost a significant amount. The big money went into Serbian youngsters Jovan Eric (£575k, Napredak) and Dragan Culibrk (£425k, Partizan) who looked extremely promising at centreback and up front respectively.

We had been poor the previous season and therefore nowhere near qualifying for Europe. Despite this we were to grace the Europa League thanks to winning the Swedish cup courtesy of a 3-1 win over Hacken in extra time. In truth the biggest game in the cup was the semi against IFK Goteborg which was goalless until the 80th minute. We conceded what looked like a decisive goal and looked to be heading out. Two goals in the 83rd and 85th minutes however meant we went through to the final.

The major reason this should prove a watershed season for us is the run in the Europa League saw us qualify for the group stages and almost came out of the group. In fact if we could have defeated group whipping boys Rapid Vienna in our penultimate game which we dominated we would have qualified from the group ahead of Celtic. In the end we were hammered by Celtic in Glasgow and finished in 3rd place. The most significant factor was the revenue we acquired however. By the end of the season our bank balance stood at around £6m.

In the league we were strong up until Europa League commitments stretched our small squad. In the end we finished 7th, four points away from a Europa league spot.

Next season I will be looking to re-invest the revenues from Europe in picking up some of the more talented young players in Sweden. This will give me a good basis for development as I should be able to develop these players to give me a team to challenge in the future.

Key Players

• GK – Patrick Awono – Cameroonian Goalkeeper arrived two seasons ago from Union Douala
  • FB – Mamadou Diakhate – Left-footed but playing at right back, the Senegalese 23 year old arrived from Malmo for £160k.
  • CB – Jovan Eric – Young Serbian defender signed for £575k from Napredak and has developed well.
  • CB – Nika Kurshavishvili – Georgian centre-back signed for £130k from Dinamo Tblisi.
  • FB – Yahya Kalley – A mainstay throughout our Allsvenskan time, the Swedish ledt back has been reliable since signing from Malmo.
  • RM – Pekha Lehto – Young right winger did well but does not contribute as many goals as I might like.
  • DLP – Teo Gronborg – The 25 year old Swede was a £250k signing from AIK.
  • CM – Rigers Pashaj – The £185k arrival from Malmo was a little attacking for the holding midfield role but did okay.
  • LW – Erik Fagberg – Swedish u21 left winger signed last season from Hacken and has developed well.
  • AF – Nicolas Suarez – The team was much more offensive following the Uruguayan strikers arrival on a free in July.
  • DLF – Dragan Culibrk – Young Serbian striker led the line well following a £425k transfer from Partizan.

Record

2020             Div 1                           1st                                            Promoted, Champions
2023             Superettan                      1st                                            Promoted, Champions
2024             Allsvenskan                     10th                                          
2026             Allsvenskan                     11th                
2027             Allsvenskan                     7th              Europa Lge Grp Stage          Swedish Cup Winners

• 2 weeks later...

So I have been a bit lazy and not posted an update for two weeks. In that time I've got through 5 seasons. The main reason for my tardiness was that I've been bobbling around lower mid-table and not felt very motivated.

I want to catch up so i'll post four of the seasons as just overviews and a proper update for the last season.

IFK Eskilstuna

Allsvenskan– 2028 – 11th

Squad

Transfers

Overview

Last season finished having had a good run in Europe and sat on a decent financial budget. The model I was aiming at was to acquire the best of the Swedish youth players each year and give them game time straight away in an effort to promote their development and hopefully their marketability to allow big money sales as with Calle Nillson last season. In the pre-season Swedish teenagers Nedim Stepanovic, Filip Erikssson, Fredrik Stenberg, Bjorn Frisk and Jesper Ahlstrand arrived and went straight into the first team. They were still complemented by more experienced players such as Todor Stenshagen in defence and Isak Jansson in midfield. Desspite the inexperience in the squad however we started strongly and were unbeaten in the first eight games, registering four wins. This was as many wins as we would get for the remainder of the season however and we dipped alarmingly towards the relegation spots. Ultimately we survived however.

Allsvenskan– 2029 – 12th

Squad

Transfers

Overview

After a season of development, I started to receive bids for my young players. Striker Bjorn Frisk left for Inter Milan for £2.5m at the end of the season. This money was added to £2.2m I received in the previous July window when Erik Fagberg left for AIK and Serbian defender Jovan Eric’s departure for Hammary for £975k. These funds allowed me to invest in an even better level of young player. In came midfielder Anders Oberg (£1.3m from Brommapojkarna), right-back Jorgen Malmqvist (£900k from Malmo). Goalkeeper Christopher Karlsson (£1m from Malmo) and star 16 year old striker Kristoffer Abrahamsson (£900k from IFK Goteborg). All were 16-17 years old and all went straight into the first team along with the youngsters from last season. As with last season, form suffered for the wealth of youngsters in the first team. We were poor all season and even sat in the relegation playoff zone right up until we won the last three games pushing us into a more comfortable position.

Allsvenskan– 2030 – 6th

Squad

Transfers

Overview

As with previous seasons I signed up the best of the youth talent at the start of the season signing  16 year olds left winger Rasmus Svensson-Silverhot (£1.2m from IFK Goteborg) and midfielder Max Persson (£950k from Malmo). Joining them was a marquee signing in Hugo Stenblom from relegated IFK Norrkoping for £2.1m. This was funded by the sale of Anders Obeng to Bayern for £4.2m. Also departing was Norwegian striker Hakan Granvold to Juventus for a mere £450k. There was also a 50% sell on clause which I ultimately cashed in July for a further £3.5m.

The start of the season however was 18 year old striker Isak Grundsten who initially was sent on loan to Degerfors but was recalled after 7 games and put straight into the first team. He went on to score 18 goals in just 20 games. His recall was prompted by a poor start  to the season with five defeats in the first seven games.  Form massively improved with Grundsten as the focal point in attack and we recorded our best finish to a season so far in sixth place. Just short of the European positions.

Allsvenskan– 2031 – 10th

Squad

Transfers

Overview

This was the season where the transfer policy of signing the best youngsters paid off. Not in terms that they developed into mature players with stunning performances on the pitch but because massive transfer bids started to arrive. Kristoffer Abrahamsson was first to leave (£3.6m to Djurgardens), followed by Rasmus Svensson-Silverhot to Bayern for £5m who I immediately loaned back. It was in mid-season where things got silly however. Not being desperate for funds I had played hardball with the big teams over my young players but gave in when PSG bid £9m for keeper Christoffer Karlsson. This was followed by and even bigger £10m for Max Persson from Bayern.

Those first two signings funded transfer bids for young right-back Fredrik Olofsson and Felix Genberg (both cost £1.3m from Malmo). Also arriving was centre-back Nikola Avdukic (£550k from Brommapoljkarna).

The biggest issue going into the season was that the standout star of last season, Isak Grundsten damaged his cruciate ligaments in a cup game in March which put him out for the whole season. As a teenager this was terminal for his development and as of the end of the season he is unlikely to come back into contention.

Form suffered for this and although we were a comfortable distance from the relegation zone, we were also a comfortable distance from the European spots. Still, we had a massive bank balance to start to improve the squad.

IFK Eskilstuna

Allsvenskan– 2032 – 5th

Squad

Transfers

Overview

With a £20m bank balance burning a hole in my pocket following last seasons player sales I changed my recruitment strategy somewhat. Like last season I signed the best of the young Swedish youngsters with 16 year old right-back Ludwig Backstrom (£1.2m from AIK) going straight into the team. Following this however, I went to work signing up the best quality young players I could pick up from around the world. All positions were strong although the defence was weaker as I was still fielding young Swedish players in all positions. By the end of the spending spree I had severely reduced the bank balance to around £5m. This was a worry as I had been hit with a £2m tax bill and the wage budget had doubled to £100k p/w. By the end of the season I was in the red which was a concern.

We started well and looked like we might push for the title but poor form from May to July dropped us into mid-table. This included defeat on penalties to Djurgardens in the Swedish Cup Final. With re-inforcements in August (Czech midfielder Jiri Poustka arrived from Dukla Prague) form picked up and we only lost one game in the second half of the season. Ultimately we finished fifth which may qualify us for Europe (unconfirmed as of the end of the season).

Although fifth place was a massive improvement on previous seasons and our best yet, there were issues. Argentine striker Joaquin Troncoso was a disappointment having signed from Estudiantes for £2.5m. He scored only six goals and disappeared to play in the Olympics for a month at a crucial point in the season. Our weak defence was an issue and until Poustka arrived in August central midfield was short as player. To resolve these issues I will need to be creative as I have sacrificed that massive budget I was sat on. There was enough value injected into the squad however to mean I have a number of very saleable assests.

Key Players

• GK – Martin Jacko – Slovakian keeper signed for £450k from Zilina.
  • FB – Ludwig Backstrom – 17 year old right-back did well despite his age following a £1.2m move from AIK.
  • CB – Nikola Avdukic – Swedish centre-back who is promising but may be too old at 20 to develop into a key player.
  • CB –Vartan Degrimenci – The only survivor of the first batch of Swedish youngsters signed in 2028. A mainstay for five seasons.
  • FB – Filip Rosenberg – Promising 19 year old left back signed two season ago from Hammarby.
  • RM – Hugo Stenblom – Swedish international who was a big money signing three seasons ago and converted to a right winger.
  • DLP – Jiri Poustka – 20 year old Czech international was a great signing for a nominal fee when out of contract in July.
  • CM – Nenad Smiljanic – The Bosnian midfielder was one of the successes of the season following a £800k move from Sarajevo.
  • LW – Henry Sarmiento – A £150k buy at the start of the season, the Colombian played in central midfield until Poutska arrived.
  • AF – Joaquin Troncoso – The £2.5m signing was a disappointment only scoring six goals.
  • DLP – Jan Vantruba – The Slovakian was a £1.9m signing from Slovan Bratislava and had a successful season scoring 11 goals.

Record

2022             Superettan                      11th
2023             Superettan                      1st                                            Promoted, Champions 
2024             Allsvenskan                     10th                                           
2025             Allsvenskan                     6th                
2026             Allsvenskan                     11th                
2027             Allsvenskan                     7th              Europa Lge Grp Stage          Swedish Cup Winners 
2028             Allsvenskan                     11th                
2029             Allsvenskan                     12th                
2030             Allsvenskan                     6th                
2031             Allsvenskan                     10th                
2032             Allsvenskan                     5th