FM09: The Official What Team Should I Be Thread

need a team to bring my intrest back in FM !!

have tried a few clubs but just cant seem to get past the first 5 games ??

tried ipswich and i ended up so far ahead after 20 games i put it on hol mode and hammered the leauge !

tried man city ? too easy

tried spurs ? too easy

tried newcastle ? got taken over by a billionaire ! too easy

tried wigan ? boring

any suggestions on a decent team that maybee in a season or 2 i can then leave for a big club ! i dont find it realistic that say with newcastle before the take over i was 8 games in an all victorys

please help of me and FM are a thing of the past ??? lol

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Club: Galatasaray

Division: Turkish Premier Division

Transfer Budget: £3 million

Key Players: Arda Turan, Lincoln, Kewell, Meira, Baros, Servet

Good Points: Promising young players, new 52,500 capacity stadium to be finished in 2009 season, great training facilities and youth academy

Bad Points: Low transfer budget, struggle to attract supporters, difficult to transfer top players, president accepting high offers on your good players despite your resistance

Additional Information: Domestic achievement is not difficult but great challenge to win the CL

need a team to bring my intrest back in FM !!

have tried a few clubs but just cant seem to get past the first 5 games ??

tried ipswich and i ended up so far ahead after 20 games i put it on hol mode and hammered the leauge !

tried man city ? too easy

tried spurs ? too easy

tried newcastle ? got taken over by a billionaire ! too easy

tried wigan ? boring

any suggestions on a decent team that maybee in a season or 2 i can then leave for a big club ! i dont find it realistic that say with newcastle before the take over i was 8 games in an all victorys

please help of me and FM are a thing of the past ??? lol

Try Sunderland first season the team isnt that good and except for Craig Gordon by the 3rd season you need to have removed everyone else as none of them are good enough. Or you could just try a team in League One or League two, try to bring them up then leave for the prem.

Are there any good League 2 sides that I could take to the prem in a relatively quick time with a bit of building on? By quick I mean in the prem by 2015-2018 which may be a bit ambitious but I like quick success:)

Bradford have attracted me as I managed to get them to the Coca-Cola Championship in two seasons on FM08 but doesn't seem as much fun this time.

Would like a decent budget if there are any in League 2 and a decent squad so I wouldn't have to start off struggling for survival.

thanks for any suggestions all would be appreciated.

Good thread, am feeling the love for Napoli and Fener.......... actually had a game with Fener of FM08 so am tempted with Napoli.

However, are there any good clubs where your given a fair bit of patience? I wouldnt mid taking over a club where i can clear out alot of the first team older players and bring through a decent young side that wont be expected to produce big things straight away. Any ideas!?

Club: Arsenal

Division: Premier League

Transfer Budget: £38mil (title challenge), £41mil (winners)

Key Players: K. Toure, B. Sagna, F. Fabregas, S. Nasri, E. Adebayor

Good Points: Very strong squad, amazing potential, extremely helpful thread, Large transfer budjet

Bad Points: Pressure from chairman and fans to do well, Not a massively physically big team, Young lacking experience,

Additional Information: Very attacking minded mentality. Almunia (GK) could do with replacing. No good holding midfielder to partner Fabregas. Perhaps some back up for the right. Loads of strikers!

Im looking for a good challange now

Want a English 2nd div team, expected to survive relegation but expected finish bottom half, maybe have decent parent clubs but the main thing is a patient chairman.

Thanks

EDIT:

No matter, decided to go Rotherham with the 17point deduction for the challenge!

AberdeenCrest1.gif

Club: Aberdeen

Division: Scottish Premier League

Transfer Budget: Not much

Key Players: Zander Diamond, Sono Aluko, Scott Severin, Lee Miller

Good Points: not many :-)

Bad Points: More that Good points :-(

Additional Information: Aberdeen Football Club (also known as The Dons, The Reds and The Dandies) is a Scottish professional football club based in Aberdeen. They compete in the Scottish Premier League and are one of the most successful teams in their country, having won four league titles and seven Scottish Cups, including a record three in a row during the 1980s, the only time a team has done this outside of the Old Firm in over 100 years. They are also the only Scottish team to have won two European trophies, both in the same year. Despite competing in the Scottish Cup and Scottish League Cup finals, both in 2000, they have not won any silverware since 1995.

This side will need improvement if it’s to be strong enough to fulfill the Media Prediction of 3rd place.

Over the first couple of seasons, your goal should be to make league finishes of 3rd or 4th, perhaps even have a wee bonus of winning of a Cup your goal. In seasons 3 and onwards, your young players should have improved sufficiently to make a real push to split the Old Firm’s dominance.

Success on the pitch will also see your stadium almost full to capacity most weeks. In around the 3rd or 4th season you may be in a position to expand the stadium to around 25,000.

Im bored with my Ajax game and cant think of who to be but have loads of ideas. For example Anderlecht, Shakhtar Donetsk, cska moscow and loads more but I cant decide.

Im thinking of managing in England as I never do even though I am English lol. Can anyone recommend a good championship or league 1 or 2 side with decent money available?

Im kinda thinking Southampton but they dont have any money which puts me off lol.

Club: Man City

Division: Premier League

Transfer Budget: Around 80mil for saying you can get into europe

Key Players: Robinho, Elano

Good Points: Very good midfield, Large Transfer Budget

Bad Points: Not many really

Additional Information: Could probably do with 1 or 2 more defenders, a striker and maybe a goalkeeper

HATE playing as city! Their blue and white colours make it SO annoying and difficult to read match day commentry... But, apart from that

Club: Fiorentina

Division: Serie A

Transfer Budget: Possible to get 24m (set title challenge, and ask for more wages, 24m in total if u are lucky)

Key Players: Mutu, Frey

Good Points: 1) Good transfer budget, +30m for Mutu to Real Madrid, +23 for selling fringe players 2) Got two of the hottest talents in football: Kuzmanovic and Jovetic 3) Good Goalkeeper (hardest position to find I think) 4) Good challenge to win the league, very hard but not impossible, same with champions league 5) Great Squad: Gilardino, Frey, Gamberini, Vargas, Montolivo,

Hi i'm about to start a new game after having played with Juventus for a few seasons.

I would like to have a completely different challenge. Can someone recommend me an English club in the Championship?

The club should meet the following criteria as best as possible:

- Battling for one of the play-off places. ie. looking for a shot at promotion in the first season.

- Some young English talent with EPL potential already in the club.

- Club owns an expandable stadium

Hi i'm about to start a new game after having played with Juventus for a few seasons.

I would like to have a completely different challenge. Can someone recommend me an English club in the Championship?

The club should meet the following criteria as best as possible:

- Battling for one of the play-off places. ie. looking for a shot at promotion in the first season.

- Some young English talent with EPL potential already in the club.

- Club owns an expandable stadium

I'm not sure about the Stadium things, but Crystal Palace look your best bet. They have Victor Moses, Sean Scannell and Lee Hills who can all become Prem quality. Not sure if they have a chance of play-offs without a few chanegs, but they are the only team with good young players that stand a chance.

Southampton also have good young players, but hardly any money and not a great team. Morelikely to be fighting relegation TBH.

Im looking to start a new game. I want a long term game that i can still enjoy after a good 4-5 seasons, so top teams are out of the question. I dont mind which country the team is in, however I do prefer a club with a decent bank balance for the league they are playing in, however its not essential.

Any ideas?

Im looking to start a new game. I want a long term game that i can still enjoy after a good 4-5 seasons, so top teams are out of the question. I dont mind which country the team is in, however I do prefer a club with a decent bank balance for the league they are playing in, however its not essential.

Any ideas?

Would you mind England?

The only way to earn your right to manage at the top teams in the world is by starting at the bottom and working your way to the top. Try AFC Wimbledon in English BSS. Quality team to start with and if you do things right you'll quickly find yourselves climbing the leagues and getting offered higher rep jobs on the way.

Good challenge and good fun

I'm looking for a new team to be, but struggling which to choose.

In FM09 I haven't been able to get past the first season because I get bored and lose interest. I've realised that the games I enjoy the most are games where I only buy one or two players a season rather than have a massive clearout and bring in 10 or so players.

So can anyone suggest a team that is in one of the major european leagues (england, france, spain, italy etc), not of the teams that dominates the league but isn't too far behind, that doesn't need loads of new players to start off with?

Club: FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk

Division: Ukrainian Premier League

Transfer Budget: 3mil-ish for title challenge/UEFA Cup spot, can get some more if you ask the board

Key Players: Nazarenko, Lysytski, Ferreyera, Mazilu, Rusol

Good Points: Great stadium (31k all seater, top corporate facilities, good ticket price (29 gbp) and you have rivarlies with half of the divison), average training/youth facilities(can be upgraded to good after 1st season), 8mil in the bank and around 5-8 good players ie good platform to build on.

Bad Points: hard to attract top players and keeping hold of them, only way to make money is reaching CL groupstages or selling players, restricted scouting to Europe/China, impossible to get your rep up unless you win numerous UEFA Cups or atleast 1 CL trophy but you can attract domestic stars if you preform well in the league, after I won 4th title in a row I could steal Milevskyi from Dinamo Kiev

Additional Information: I suggest to plan your squad carefully because eventually there can be only 5 foreigners in league 1st XI and players wont take Ukrainian nationality, so I suggest you snap up any promising Ukrainan youngster at the beginning, pays good dividends after a few seasons, clubs go crazy after every half-decent home-grown player, same rule apply to Russian League too so you can select them as view-only and Russian League is full of cash cows to milk - ofcourse if you bother

Also CL isn't impossible, Eastern-Europe is full of cheap talent which should be your target area for players, so load up as many countries as possible.

if anyone is interested playing them I will gladly help with signing, tips etc

I thought of starting as Dnipro on FM08 but never got round to it, I had a game as Shakhtar in Ukraine so am familiar with a few players but it was way too easy of a game. Might give Dnipro a go after I get bored of my Getafe game.

Wonder if you can sign Seleznyov from Shakhtar I think thats his name the strong target man. Also do you bring in many Brazilians there must be some good Brazilian talent thats cheap and willing to sign.

I'm looking for a new team to be, but struggling which to choose.

In FM09 I haven't been able to get past the first season because I get bored and lose interest. I've realised that the games I enjoy the most are games where I only buy one or two players a season rather than have a massive clearout and bring in 10 or so players.

So can anyone suggest a team that is in one of the major european leagues (england, france, spain, italy etc), not of the teams that dominates the league but isn't too far behind, that doesn't need loads of new players to start off with?

Blackburn Rovers.

Great strikeforce in Benni and Roque, with a few good buys their top 4 material.

I thought of starting as Dnipro on FM08 but never got round to it, I had a game as Shakhtar in Ukraine so am familiar with a few players but it was way too easy of a game. Might give Dnipro a go after I get bored of my Getafe game.

Wonder if you can sign Seleznyov from Shakhtar I think thats his name the strong target man. Also do you bring in many Brazilians there must be some good Brazilian talent thats cheap and willing to sign.

Well I don't know much about Brazilians, I went for a more of an Eastern-European vibe (because I can only scout Europe/China) but Eastern Europe is just as full of talent as Brazil and no, you can't sign Seleznyov or any good players that Shakhtar/Dinamo Kiev have because they're not available for transfer if you play Ukrainian Leage or have it as View-Only but regarding to Seleznov I suggest you look at Jan Holenda(CZE) he is similar mold of a striker and just as cheap(120k).

and as for things getting boring.. well.. it really depends on you, I am on my 5th season atm, won 4 all league titles & UEFA Cup & CL, just signed Akinfeev & Milevskyi, bank-balance of 62mil with over 10mil coming in payments over various tranfers, I should be bored but I want to see how far I can push them, top European coefficent rankings/financial rankings/club reputation/what RL big names I can attract/commercial links etc atm I almost finished with 1st half of the season and I can't wait for my annual tour of China, last season I went there I made an whooping extra 30k in merchandising but lets how things are now with my contiental rep(won the CL) and Akinfeev's WW rep mwahaha

Hello, I want a new game, ive been thinking of Newscatle, meainly because i like N'Zogiba, Taylor and Given, or ive been thinking of R. Madrid to keep up the tradition, or Inter Milan/Napoli, Man City or a totally different team from a lesser known league, or someone like St Ettiene, please will you give me some ideas and tell me why youhave picked them, and tell me some good things, i want this to be a fun game but I prefer managing in the top leagues.

I'll be playing on patch 9.2.0

Thanks in advance :)

Right having got a bit bored of all my games, I'm looking for something that can meet my critera.

1. Not a big club. I don't want to be managing the Man U's and barcelona's of the world

2. Preferably not the english leagues

3. But a top european league.

4. Preferably a mid-table-ish team

5. One or two good players.

Suggestions?

What team could i go that has a lot of money and not man city because i am a man utd fan

Liverpool;)

OJ

Try R.Madrid maybe.

Right having got a bit bored of all my games, I'm looking for something that can meet my critera.

1. Not a big club. I don't want to be managing the Man U's and barcelona's of the world

Suggestions?

Getafe, At.Madrid, or Villareal.:thup:

Suggestions?

Napoli

Fiorentina

Udinese

Club: Sporting CP

Division: Liga Sagres

Transfer Budget: €3.5m

Key Players: Moutinho, Miguel Veloso, Vukcevic, Liedson

Good Points: Great CM and DM with lots of potential, many young players who are quite loyal and hard to unsettle

Bad Points: Tiny transfer budget, no depth to the squad

Additional Information: Short Term: In case you are able to sell some deadwood in attack like Tiui and Derlei, a new striker; the defense could use more depth; backup winger for Vukcevic and Izmailov (only have Pereirinha).

Looking for a new club after getting bored of my FC Bayern (Bundesliga too easy and after winning the CL no goals in Europe as well) and Hibs (couldn't get back into the game after a longer break) savegames.

1. english leagues

2. no top team (in its respective league, e.g. no ManU in the EPL, no Birmingham in the Championship, no Leeds in L1 etc.)

3. preferably in the Championship or League 1

4. good balanced squad which is capable to compete for a playoff spot at least and doesn't require much transfer activity

thanks.

Im really struggling for a team to be - I don't want to manage a really big team or someone with huge amounts of money but I would like a team which fit this criteria:

- Must not have had many signings in the real 2008 summer transfer window - I find it very difficult to manage with a team with so many new signings.

- Must be a team in England

- I would prefer the team to be in the the top 2 divisions of the country

- The owner must not be looking to leave

- The team should preferably have a good base/foundation

So is there any team which fits this criteria?

I would say Bristol City fits the above, but then again I'm biased. Good squad, some funds, new stadium being built, only a couple of new signings but the board expect the play offs. The championship has got to be the most competitive with fixtures coming thick and fast.

Club: Aston Villa

Division: Premiership

Transfer Budget:6 - 12mil

Key Players: Gareth Barry, Ashley Young, Gabriel Agbonlahor, Martin Laursen

Good Points: Good young team experience in the right places, Good english backbone, Hungry and Ambitious team

Bad Points: Not enough depth

Additional Information:Club: Could do with a few squad players, and a good striker to partner agbonlahor

Club: Genoa

Division: Serie A

Transfer Budget: Around about £4million, depends on what you set your targets at

Key Players: Deigo Milito(sensational), Marco Rossi, Bosko Jankovic(loan), Anthony Vanden Borre

Good Points: Not too much excpectation placed on you but with a decent budget and buying and selling players you could easily strengthen your team and do better than expected.

as with most Italian teams Genoa have a total of 15 rivals!

Bad Points: £28 average ticket price, shocking! If you are successful and Milito is good for you then the big guns want him (AC, Bayern), First Eleven can be strong but you definetely need to strengthen incase of injuries. Teams are restiricted to signing 2 non EU players per season.

Additional Information: The number 6 shirt is retired and the number 12 shirt is dedicated to the fans!

with good results you could get UEFA cup place within 1/2 seasons.

aberdeencrest1.gif

club: aberdeen

division: Scottish premier league

transfer budget: Not much

key players: Zander diamond, sono aluko, scott severin, lee miller

good points: Not many :-)

bad points: More that good points :-(

additional information: Aberdeen football club (also known as the dons, the reds and the dandies) is a scottish professional football club based in aberdeen. They compete in the scottish premier league and are one of the most successful teams in their country, having won four league titles and seven scottish cups, including a record three in a row during the 1980s, the only time a team has done this outside of the old firm in over 100 years. They are also the only scottish team to have won two european trophies, both in the same year. Despite competing in the scottish cup and scottish league cup finals, both in 2000, they have not won any silverware since 1995.

This side will need improvement if it’s to be strong enough to fulfill the media prediction of 3rd place.

Over the first couple of seasons, your goal should be to make league finishes of 3rd or 4th, perhaps even have a wee bonus of winning of a cup your goal. In seasons 3 and onwards, your young players should have improved sufficiently to make a real push to split the old firm’s dominance.

Success on the pitch will also see your stadium almost full to capacity most weeks. In around the 3rd or 4th season you may be in a position to expand the stadium to around 25,000.

u taking the ****

I love the idea of bringing a team from the lower leagues to the higher leagues, but the only thing that keeps me from starting a new save is the fact that I like to have really good players but I fear as I bring a lower team up, I wont be able to sign any names.. let alone big names :p

Club: Notts County

Division: League Two

Transfer Budget: I believe it was £10k, keeping with the midtable expectations.

Key Players: Harsanyi; on loan from Bolton, the 21-year-old striker is pacey and a proper finisher, our spear-head. Waghorn; also on loan, from Sunderland, the 18-year-old is my favourite player, such a creative, crafty little striker. Brammer; experienced central/holding midfielder who keeps us ticking over with his simple passing.

Good Points: We have a state of the art youth facilities and an academy... on account of the fact that, i, um, cheated and edited it. :o I like the idea of having a side built on home grown players, and it gives managing a lower club a little twist. I would have been Crewe because their set-up is already very good, but i wanted to manage in League Two rather than League One.

Bad Points: The side i inherited already had a large amount of new players, so add to that the 4 signings i made and we have a side with no cohesion at all. It's making starting out difficult in the extreme.

Additional Information: My mission, to deliver European football to the people of Nottingham! It'll consume the next 10 years of my life i imagine though, if i'm to achieve it. :) It's going to be a fun challenge to see how far i can get. I'd be happy with a little bit of silverware and maybe beating Forest if we meet.

Archived