FM 09 too hard

The difficulty of FM09 is set by the club you pick, your goals and the challenges of other teams around you. Picking a team like Spurs and expecting immediate success just isn't going to happen, but you could develop them into a title challenging team within a few seasons with the right players and tactics, quicker than you could with, say Wigan, which would take a good few more seasons to do it. It's still possible, but the challenge will be much harder. It's harder in FM09 than in FM08 because many of the clubs have improved their squads (with the exception of Arsenal, who seem to do better than IRL, because some of their important players aren't injured, e.g. Rosicky and Eduardo)

For me, right now I'd say FM09 is easy as I've played 2 games as AFC Wimbledon in the Blue Square South division and we've won our first 2 league games 2-0 so far. I know I've now jinxed it, and will lose next time I load it up, but in terms of difficulty, at the moment I'd say it's about right. Of course, I've spent the time adjusting my tactics based on the players I have at my disposal, hunted around for some trialists, etc, rather than using any cheats, so I know I'm going to lose eventually but that is what will be fun for me, as I'll be looking for bargain players to improve the squad and tweaking tactics further, but I certainly won't complain that it's too hard and want to go back to 08 or 07, I'll just RISE to the challenge and try and beat it.

I would like to see you say that after your team hits the goalpost 5 times in one match and lose 1:0 from a goal kick assist score by the other team.

I prefer the game to be more of a challenge, well done SI for making a very good balanced football SIM. If I wanted to win every game by simply pressing the continue button I would of purchased one of the other management games.

If FM was too easy I simply wouldn’t buy it!!

Wow... the game is too "hard". Matey, have you ever thought that previous incarnations of the game may have been just too easy practically beating every team you want with one tactic and any team?

Atleast now you have to think of what tactics for what team etc, i admit with my career save, Lyon are 7th in the league, when we are expected to finish in the top 3. Previously in Belgium, with Standard Leige i won the league with my first attempt, then the second time got spanked into 10th.

The game now shows me that i need to work constantly and the game isnt just one big mock, like FM05 was for me. (one tactic meant domination from Conference to Premiership & many other leagues)

The game is def harder this year,wich imo is to the better.Im 3 season in with my Vålerenga in the norwegian leauge.still havent managed winning the leauge.but this might be cause ive choosen to play with young talented players from all over scandinavia,so one day i will have a great team off youngsters

Some people want to play the game for fun. Others, for the challenge. But I think the challenge has pushed out a large amount of the fun.

I enjoy a real good challenge, but I also want my game to be fun at the same time. It's like the first Call of Duty, nobody would of played if the Battle of Stalingrad really felt like the battle of Stalingrad, being pinned down for hours and being killed on almost the first hit you got.

So you need to find a real good balance between the two.

People play games to escape reality, not to be pushed around by it. Now you all say, it is easymode if you play with the top teams but in fact, this is not true. No matter how good the players are if someone doesnt understand the game mechanics they will never win the title. I am actually playing Barca currently and coming first of course, but I could only do that after hours of reading the guides and experimenting with the tactics. And even still my average score is only 2.2ish

After spending a week's time on FM09, I've concluded that it is impossible to fully represent the play style of Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi. With freerole and whatnot it can be pretty similar, but as long as you place them in the winger's position they will act like a typical winger more than half of the time even though your instructions are far from it.

its inconsistant and a bit baffling

Ive started a Liverpool game, very good all pre season home and away, then lose 1-0 to Galatasaray in the CL away, Beat Everton at home 4-1 playing well, then lose 2-0 at Newcastle getting battered all game, then beat Galatasaray 4-0 at home in the CL?

As a relative noob to FM (08 was the first one I played) my thoughts in regards to this topic are...

1. The game's difficulty can be almost be too staggering for a newcomer. Its taken me over a year to finally get some understanding of what the sliders do, and how they each compliment one another. When you have to read 60+ page Tactical Theorems to gain a slight bit of insight into how to play the game it might be too much for the non converted. I almost quit playing a couple weeks after I bought 08 because it was simply too much work, trial and error, to actually have fun. Which brings me to my next point...

2. The need or use of custom pre made tactics is by and large a result of the learning curve and difficulty. Some people dont want to spend an hour before every game trying to tweak tactics that may or may not have the slightest bit of a positive effect in the game. The game can be brutal for many people who honestly want to try to be tactically adept. So, its easy for someone to give up on that side of the game, revert to using pre made fantasy tactics and then just focus on the business and transfer side of the game.

With all that said, i find the game right in the middle of being enjoyable and over the top. What I like about FM is the fact that a success greatly over shadows failures before it. When you finally make a great tactic, or put your funds to best use it seems to make it all worth it. In that sense, its really the charm of the game for me. I can spend hours doing nothing effective but when it finally pans out it you feel like you've accomplished something.

If I was to recommend anything to SI in regards to difficulty it would be maybe to tone down the extremes. There should be a fun aspect to the game for people who play it for different reasons. The tactical side of things shouldn't be so overwhelming that someone who isnt willing to get a doctorate degree in FM Theory can enjoy it from a sporting director, business, transfer perspective. On the flip side tactics should always be the difference between the good players and the poor, the key is how many sliders are necessary to reflect true tactical acumen versus on absurd obsession. When you have 85 different things to tweak before a game, its easy to get lost in ridiculous amount of outcomes that can result from just the smallest of slider tweaks. They should find a way to tone down the variety of slider combinations while still demanding an astute setup of their team instructions.

I think its a comfort thing. Last year I struggled to begin with, but once you get used to the changes, results start to come. I took Borussia Gladbach from second divison to a consistent Top 5 finisher in the Bundesliga last year. I think the things you are complaining about are improvements in the AI that stop it from being abused by cheap tactics

I find 09 too hard to play for example in 07 I could in a few seasons win a league with virtually every team around. In 08 only English league was playable and other leagues like Spanish and French were also hard to play.

I think the closing down is a major problem in a 09 ME and 08 ME also.

In 07 and 06 You could easily defend yourself against every team and I find that more enjoyable than watching my Euro qualifications spot team lose to Almeria 5-0 and unable to connect two simple passes.

In 07 and 06 you could easily make a tactic that would work against most of the teams in the league and that was fun.

For example in 08 you couldn't escape from Nou camp with at least 4 goals in your net.

Please SI give get rid of those 3D cosmetic crap and give us back that old CM/FM feeling. I want to be able to win a league with teams like Sevilla and Tottenham ehich was very possible in the earlier incarnations.

After all it is not a simulation cause it is so flawed and when watching an full match very unrealistic.

In times of manager 05, 06, and 07, I was addicted to that game and after the 08 came out the problems began.

i was with you until you urged us to destroy the icons and burn the idolators.

laters mate.

I find 09 too hard to play for example in 07 I could in a few seasons win a league with virtually every team around. In 08 only English league was playable and other leagues like Spanish and French were also hard to play.

I think the closing down is a major problem in a 09 ME and 08 ME also.

In 07 and 06 You could easily defend yourself against every team and I find that more enjoyable than watching my Euro qualifications spot team lose to Almeria 5-0 and unable to connect two simple passes.

In 07 and 06 you could easily make a tactic that would work against most of the teams in the league and that was fun.

For example in 08 you couldn't escape from Nou camp with at least 4 goals in your net.

Please SI give get rid of those 3D cosmetic crap and give us back that old CM/FM feeling. I want to be able to win a league with teams like Sevilla and Tottenham ehich was very possible in the earlier incarnations.

After all it is not a simulation cause it is so flawed and when watching an full match very unrealistic.

In times of manager 05, 06, and 07, I was addicted to that game and after the 08 came out the problems began.

tbh what you want is a fm lite. because the vast manjority of us dont want a game where we can win the league with anyone in a few seasons. dumbing down the game would be just another scalp for the bethesda/360 crowd.

• 8 months later...
tbh what you want is a fm lite. because the vast manjority of us dont want a game where we can win the league with anyone in a few seasons. dumbing down the game would be just another scalp for the bethesda/360 crowd.

It's not about beeing too hard or too easy, the question is how much time do you have to spend on the GAME, im not getting paid for it (like real managers do), i just buy the game to enjoy it.

You know what, i admit, i don't wont the game to be ABSOLUTELY REAL, because in that case you should spend on it as much time as any real manager does, i have a job, a family, i usually play to relax, but playing FM 09 was nothing but stress for me.

Maybe it's just me and other "idiots" like me but i think guys at SI should make it clear that FM it's a game for dedicated people who will spend all their free time on it, and not for the folks like me who are here just for the fun.

Wow, what an old thread to resurrect. But kudos for using the search.

Anyway, onto the point:

I don't think it's for people who spend "all" their free time on it. I just have to dedicate a bit when the game first appears to sorting out tactics and training etc. People have made it more complicated than they need to with 20,000-word bibles, which you really only need if you want to win, win, win every game, which I don't think is the point.

At the moment, I spend a couple of hours at a time, usually three-to-four months game time, and do this maybe one day in three or one in two -- it depends what's happening in life or on the telly.

No, you can't play an entire season in two hours or even four or five, but you don't need to be hard core to enjoy it.

It's not about beeing too hard or too easy, the question is how much time do you have to spend on the GAME, im not getting paid for it (like real managers do), i just buy the game to enjoy it.

You know what, i admit, i don't wont the game to be ABSOLUTELY REAL, because in that case you should spend on it as much time as any real manager does, i have a job, a family, i usually play to relax, but playing FM 09 was nothing but stress for me.

Maybe it's just me and other "idiots" like me but i think guys at SI should make it clear that FM it's a game for dedicated people who will spend all their free time on it, and not for the folks like me who are here just for the fun.

if you find the game hard it means you are doing something wrong

Wow, what an old thread to resurrect. But kudos for using the search.

Anyway, onto the point:

I don't think it's for people who spend "all" their free time on it. I just have to dedicate a bit when the game first appears to sorting out tactics and training etc. People have made it more complicated than they need to with 20,000-word bibles, which you really only need if you want to win, win, win every game, which I don't think is the point.

At the moment, I spend a couple of hours at a time, usually three-to-four months game time, and do this maybe one day in three or one in two -- it depends what's happening in life or on the telly.

No, you can't play an entire season in two hours or even four or five, but you don't need to be hard core to enjoy it.

All righit, i agree that to be playable and enjoyable any game should be difficult and challenging , i've spent hours trying to figure it out, but it gets rediculous when you loose game after game with a good quality team like Tottenham or Sevillia without even scoring a goal!

same at first it was agony to get the tatics right but once you catch onto how to make it work it makes it a lot more enjoyble. previous fm games you just set your team to attack set a couple of sliders here and there without much thought and away you go. at least now you have to think about your players in your team and how you actually get the best out of your tatics. its just liek any other game you have to put time and effort into it. i hope with the new tatics it allows much more variety and as hard a challange as before rather then winning the league with hull in the second season.

I think Fm09 is actually too easy although i do enjoy it a lot.

I don't want SI making it harder as such, i'd just rather it continues to add depth and complexities so that it is more challenging.

You've just got to take the time to get the right tactics and get your team playing how you want them to. FM is more of a hobby than a computer game anyway.

Archived