[FM18] Alternative Scottish League Structure

Hello :waves: 

My name is FMSamo and I blog about FM. I'm also from Scotland, and ahead of FM18 launching I decided that I wanted to edit the structure of the Scottish leagues on the game to prevent me from getting ridiculously bored playing against the same teams four times a season. Just to reiterate, unlike @Morrissey's excellent effort at getting the whole official Scottish pyramid working in-game, mine is purely made up.

I'm hugely passionate about Scottish football and promoting it in a good light, but I bloody hate our league structure! My edited database consists of 288 clubs within the Scottish league system, across 16 tiers. The SPL returns as the top tier, while the remaining divisions are numbered from One to Fifteen. Here's how the top three divisions look:

S1.thumb.PNG.3b2faec1b8d990d8f2f4c39b7bffb202.PNGS2.thumb.PNG.20fdffa1cd9edac3015d02a826d7ec43.PNGS3.thumb.PNG.4738880e939d77fae35d76a48a1cd218.PNG

All of the divisions are done to the best of my ability in matching up where the finished in their current leagues during the 2016/17 season.

The SPL has been given a tiny reputation boost in comparison to the Scottish Premiership out of the box, and it decreases the lower down the leagues you get. As does prize money. There's now £4.8m on offer for  1st place in the SPL. Still a drop in the ocean compared to the BuLi or Premier League, but a decent enough boost for Scottish football. Don't go filling your squad with foreigners in the top two tiers though, you'll be expected to have at least six homegrown Scottish players in your matchday squad.

If you do decide to play lower down the pyramid, perhaps at newly resurrected Third Lanark in the bottom tier, then make sure you do click add players to playable teams to give you a slightly easier task to start off with. 

Three teams get relegated in each league aside from the 16th tier, while in each league other than the SPL, 2 teams automatically go up alongside a third team via the playoffs featuring the teams from 3rd to 6th. There's no regionalisation, it's a pure all-in league system.

The Scottish Cup, aside from the 1st round containing teams from lower down the pyramid, from the 2nd round is all in. It is in fact the only major cup competition too, with the League Cup and Challenge Cup being removed. There's an addition of a Supercup at the beginning of the season between the SPL and Scottish Cup winners.

If there's any questions, queries or feedback at all, please do let me know! I've been playing my save on my blog with Stirling on an earlier version of the database and nothing majorly gamebreaking has happened or is jumping out at me. Hope you enjoy it!

DOWNLOAD LINK

27 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Can you give us some examples of clubs you've added to the data base, such as in the lowest tier?

Oh aye, I see what you've done. You've got a ladder rather than a pyramid, using the teams already in the database.

Yup, it's purely teams from the database. Third Lanark, and additionally Renton, are in there as extinct teams, so they've just been resurrected. Here's how Division 15 looks teams-wise.

S15.thumb.PNG.13fb6d2ccf432ff7f2085e11425718cd.PNG

20 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Got ya. Well I've made my own pyramid with divisions such as Highland NW, Highland NE, Argyll & Bute and stuff like that in a 10-tier pyramid structure. Had to make up a fair few wee clubs, good fun!

Cool, sounds fun. I wanted to stay away from regionalisation, and just make it an absolute free for all in the leagues. Also wanted to use as many real, active clubs as possible to at least keep it a little bit realistic, but I do love a more fantasy structure too!

12 hours ago, oche balboa said:

Will i have my own version coming out (11 tiers) Plus an All in Scottish Cup & Regional Pre-season competitions 

Sounds great! I really didn't fancy doing any regionalisation for mine, but the Scottish Cup remains and is all in from the 2nd round. Makes for a really fun knockout cup.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 24/01/2018 at 14:36, fmsamo said:

Hello :waves: 

My name is FMSamo and I blog about FM. I'm also from Scotland, and ahead of FM18 launching I decided that I wanted to edit the structure of the Scottish leagues on the game to prevent me from getting ridiculously bored playing against the same teams four times a season. Just to reiterate, unlike @Morrissey's excellent effort at getting the whole official Scottish pyramid working in-game, mine is purely made up.

I'm hugely passionate about Scottish football and promoting it in a good light, but I bloody hate our league structure! My edited database consists of 288 clubs within the Scottish league system, across 16 tiers. The SPL returns as the top tier, while the remaining divisions are numbered from One to Fifteen. Here's how the top three divisions look:

S1.thumb.PNG.3b2faec1b8d990d8f2f4c39b7bffb202.PNGS2.thumb.PNG.20fdffa1cd9edac3015d02a826d7ec43.PNGS3.thumb.PNG.4738880e939d77fae35d76a48a1cd218.PNG

All of the divisions are done to the best of my ability in matching up where the finished in their current leagues during the 2016/17 season.

The SPL has been given a tiny reputation boost in comparison to the Scottish Premiership out of the box, and it decreases the lower down the leagues you get. As does prize money. There's now £4.8m on offer for  1st place in the SPL. Still a drop in the ocean compared to the BuLi or Premier League, but a decent enough boost for Scottish football. Don't go filling your squad with foreigners in the top two tiers though, you'll be expected to have at least six homegrown Scottish players in your matchday squad.

If you do decide to play lower down the pyramid, perhaps at newly resurrected Third Lanark in the bottom tier, then make sure you do click add players to playable teams to give you a slightly easier task to start off with. 

Three teams get relegated in each league aside from the 16th tier, while in each league other than the SPL, 2 teams automatically go up alongside a third team via the playoffs featuring the teams from 3rd to 6th. There's no regionalisation, it's a pure all-in league system.

The Scottish Cup, aside from the 1st round containing teams from lower down the pyramid, from the 2nd round is all in. It is in fact the only major cup competition too, with the League Cup and Challenge Cup being removed. There's an addition of a Supercup at the beginning of the season between the SPL and Scottish Cup winners.

If there's any questions, queries or feedback at all, please do let me know! I've been playing my save on my blog with Stirling on an earlier version of the database and nothing majorly gamebreaking has happened or is jumping out at me. Hope you enjoy it!

DOWNLOAD LINK

On 08/02/2018 at 10:00, grade said:

What is like the club expanses in the lower leagues? Did you give more prize money to those clubs to her with expanses?

Beat me to it, I was going to suggest you distribute money more evenly, to break the hold of the Old Firm and open the league up a bit

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2018 at 10:22, scott_c13 said:

Can you give instruction on how to download this and put it in game. Thanks

Hi @scott_c13, sorry I've only just come on and seen your note! Have you worked out how to get it in-game? Once you've downloaded it you need to add the file to your editor data in the FM18 documents folder. When you load up the game it'll appear under Scotland if you've got it ticked to load up. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I tried and was very good fun.

I'm pondering in doing a sort of ladder league for the USA. My only fear of doing such a thing is travel expanses in the lower leagues.

Also I want to go beyond level 20, but not sure how to do it in the basic editor.

• 2 weeks later...

Downloaded this now so going to have a play with it. Sounds pretty much like what I would like, although I did think about promotion playoffs as being good, but, not the relegation ones we have currently :)

I was wondering why SFA using the current structure, when they made their last changes some years ago, i was surprised and disappointed they didn't make the ideal structure... 

honestly this is very nice structure, but still it's slightly boring to play unreal system..

well done for this mate

On 07/07/2018 at 17:32, Gersdude123 said:

Just Downloaded This Database was wondering why some teams are in the wrong leagues 

This is sort of ladder league system from top to bottom, rather then a normal regional pyramid . Cheers!!!

Thanks for all the kind comments chaps! 

This is very much just a fantasy database but I do really hate our current league setup. It's boring to play on FM too so that's why I wanted to make this new one. I had a great save in Germany on FM17 and thought the 18 team leagues and just playing each other twice would work really well.

The teams are in leagues based on their standings from the 2016/17 season :)

2 hours ago, fmsamo said:

Thanks for all the kind comments chaps! 

This is very much just a fantasy database but I do really hate our current league setup. It's boring to play on FM too so that's why I wanted to make this new one. I had a great save in Germany on FM17 and thought the 18 team leagues and just playing each other twice would work really well.

The teams are in leagues based on their standings from the 2016/17 season :)

I am enjoying it, its far better than the ridiculous setup we currently have. 18 teams is cool, I tried making one myself but got lost, I was going for a basic copy of the English system, 20 team premier league, 24 team championship, 3 up, 3 down, playoffs to go up, but, the relegated teams couldnt stay up via playoff (thats another mad one we do haha)

Archived