FM09 - Official Sunderland Thread - More Irish Money

AcidBurn

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont play the save anymore I still have it and might do one day but its 2020 and for the past 3 seasons won every competition we entered. It gets a bit boring winning everything year in year out. I think you will get at least 2nd like you said Valencia will challenge but the others should be pretty easy.

The thread was really busy at the start but was mostly people who supported Sunderland, I think its great as the money is pretty good and the ground is big and usually gets expanded so its a great fun game. You can attract decent players aswell.

Just started with Sunderland - again. Decided that most of my signings would be players I've never had before.

So I bought;

Jeremy Mathieu - 5M

Julio Cruz - 450K

Ezequiel Lavezzi - 5M

Roger Johnson - 4.6M

Christian Benitez - 1.8M

Mattia Cassani - (Loan)

And sold;

M'voto - 500K

Rade Prica - 2.5M

Paul McShane - 2.7M (Quinn accepted the offer for some reason)

Anthony Stokes (Loan)

Grant Leadbitter - 5.5M

Andy Reid - 6M

Nyron Nosworthy - 4M

Hartley, Dowson, Colback, Henderson and Waghorn all went out on loan also.

So at the minute my team is looking like

Home;

____________Gordon____________

Cassani__Anton__Johnson__Mathieu

Steed__Tainio__Whitehead_Richardson

_________Lavezzi__Cruz/Benitez____

Away;

____________Gordon____________

Cassani__Anton__Johnson__Mathieu

____________Tainio_____________

Steeeeed___Whitehead____Richardson

_________________Lavezzi_________

________Cruz/Benitez______________

With Jones still to come back from injury.

Just played my first game of the season, City away. After being 3-0 down we ended up losing 3-2. Decent enough really after expecting a heavy loss.

Im looking to start a new game with Sunderland and i was just wondering what sort of transfer budget does one get? And any other tips that yous guys have

thanks in advance

About 20M i think.

Do a massive overhaul in the 2nd season, 1st season bring in Lavezzi or Gignac.

Terminate Cisse.

Just started a Sunderland game on Weegie's update. Got 17 million for saying I would achieve a mid table finish, and made a bit of money from sales to buy myself a few nice players:

http://s885.photobucket.com/albums/ac52/Hanyesington/?action=view&current=Transfers.jpg

I had an 11m offer for Jones but Fulham pulled out at the last minute and the most I could get for him nex time they bid was 7.5m (his value decreased). Very pleased with Buonanotte so far, he has settled in very quickly but has competition from Drenthe on the left. One of the things I like about Sunderland's squad is that the midfield is very versatile, with most of the original players able to play right across the midfield :)

• 2 weeks later...

7 games into my 1st season i have signed Leo and becks but cannot get my forward line of bent and jones to score kenwyne scores a few but bent doesnt plus my team is inconsistent i have won 2 games and drew 1 and lost 4 help me.

safct.th.jpg

Hmmm

I only got 10mil for continental qualification...

I sold Reid for 8 mil, Henderson for 1 and Prica for 2

Brought in Ched Evans, John Fleck, Frederic Nimani, Davide Santon, Joe Mattock, Sofiane Feghouli and Diego Buonanotte

Also Zuculini will join in january

I'm expecting a tough season

Hello All, long time no see.

Good to see a few familiar faces from the old 07/08 games, i've only just got around to getting into fm2009 (i know, a year late but been really busy for a while).

With the start of the new season, i felt it was only proper i finally go out and buy the new FM and get back into my routine of radio 5 live / talk sport and football manager weekend marathons (when i'm not watching the lads ofc :D).

Naturally my first game has been with Sunderland. I initially started out and really struggled, i went with standard 4-4-2, something that i've persisted with, but it wasn't until recently i figured out how important opposition instructions are. Anyways after a season or two i decided to start again, again with Sunderland, but this time i realised i needed a bit of help so found my way onto this forum and once again tracked down the Sunderland thread.

As already mentioned i decided to go with a 4-4-2. It's just a formation i feel comfrotable with and have done for a few versions of FM. After glancing over this thread, i realised that Cisse had to go (wages!) and along with the experience i had with them during my first i knew also that the majority of the squad was not fit for purpose.

With this in mind i sold the following players:

Whitehead - Aston Villa £3.2 mil

Murphy - QPR £1.8 mil

Stokes - Middlesborough £3.9 mil

Prica - Stoke £1.3 mil

Carlos Edwards - Wolves £2.5 mil

Nyron Nosworthy - Everton £4.5mil

M'voto - Le Harve £0.5mil

Along with my initial £7mil transfer budget and factoring some of these were monthly installment sales, the above sales meant that i had £20.2 mil.

I identified the following positions that would need improving.

GK - I wanted to bring in a young goal keeper with bags of potential to replace Martyn Fulop as #2 to Gordon. This would allow me to flog Fulop later on down the road for a couple of mil. I wasn't able to do this straight away though as i had to rely on scouts to do this, so this was something i'd aim to do in January.

DC - I was going to start with Ferdinand, it was merley a case of who would partner him. I went initially with Ben-Haim but wanted another player of better quality than Davenport and Collins to compete for a position (eventually Ferdinand would be replaced, but for my first season he would do the job).

DL - I don't mind McCartney in real life, but i've never been that convinced of him in FM. While i'd keep him in the squad, i'd want a new first choice left back.

DMC/MC - While i'd be playing a flat 4-4-2, one (or on some occastion both) of my central midfields will be a tough tackling, balling winning kind of guy. Whitehead is gone as i didn't think he quite had what it takes, Leadbitter hasn't been sold, but thats not for want of trying and of course we don't have C & C (Cattermolle and Cana :D) in version 9.0.3. I would also be tempted to maybe bring in a second midfielder eventually, one with more creativity and some flair.

AML/R - With Malbranque, Richardson and Reid i felt my wing options were not too bad at the moment, sure their not amazing, but they are good enough for me to avoid relegation. That being said, all three are very flexiable and no doubt one would be playing in the center at times, so i felt the need for someone else to come in, maybe one for the future who would eventually break into the team reguarly in a season or two.

ST - With Cisse gone (on my first game he was awful, although admitedly, so was everyone else) i needed a new partner for Jones and i'd also entertain the idea of bringing in a third as well, as Healy is just rubbish and will be on his way eventually, but would do as 3/4th back up for now.

My mentality was simple, get in young players ( <= 19) that are as good as or better than your existing squad players, players that will grow into their positions, so that in a few seasons as the squad grows, so would it's ranking in the prem. In with that youth, in key places such as DC and DMC, bring in some experience (26-28), with a bit of quality, even if it means shelling out a few £mil.

Come the close of the transfer window i had the following:

AML/FC - John Fleck - Rangers - £0.1mil (one for the future, i'm told from numerous sources that this guy becomes amazing and my scout seemed to think so too, he's already played a few games this season for me and didn't fair too badly at all)

DL - Razvan Rat - Shakhtar Donetsk - £3.0 mil

DC - Mosquera - Sevilla - £1.7mil

AMC - Daniel Parejo - Real Madrid - £0.5mil (again, one for the future).

DMC - Steven Appiah - Free

DM/AM/LRC - Axel Witsel - £7.1mil

AML - Anders - Bruge - £0.6mil (Scout noticed this guy while scouting out Axel, got a 5 star rating for Potential so figured it was worth a crack, he's only 18-19 or something so he spent most of the season in the reserves).

ST - Ezequiel Lavezzi - Napoli - £3.2mil

ST - Jonathan Cristaldo - Vélez - £0.2mil

Total Spending: £16.2mil

I failed to use all my money as i was trying my utmost to get Vukcevic from Sporting, but in the end i just couldn't work a deal out. In summary though i was fairly happy to have obtained good players in the three main positions of DC, DMC and ST. Axel Witsel looks really versatile, and i opted to put him out on the wing to begin with as i felt Richardson performs better in the center (he did in previous versions) and the capture of Appiah on a free i felt was going to be a real steal, but that wasn't the case as you will notice later.

My line up went like this:

GK: Gordon

DL: Rat

DR: McShane

DC: Ferdinand

DC: Mosquera / Ben-Haim (with me eventually favouring Mosquera).

ML: Reid / Malbranque

MR: Witsel

MC: Appiah / Tainio

MC: Richardson

ST: Jones

ST: Lavezzi

August 08 - December 08 Summary:

The season started rather worringly, i lost my first two games, but then things got going when i hammered Blackburn 5-1 away from home, this was the start of an unbeaten run that lasted until mid October. Noticeable performances from Lavezzi (the guy was amazing in the first half of the season) and Witsel, these two have come highly recomended curtiosy of this thread and it's easy to see why. Richardson was underpforming in the center, so occationaly i'd throw Malbranque in there to mix it up somewhat.

Appiah was constantly injured and Tainio wasn't much better, i would often have to resort to two AMC's playing in the center, it wasn't pretty, but if i was at home it would often work to my benifit. Witsel wasn't that great of a DMC, although was quite comfortable in the attacking MC role, ultimatley though i wanted him out on the right wing as he was far more effective there than Malbranque.

Jones is having a nightmare and only scored one goal all season, where as Lavezzi has something like 13. I'm sat in 6th place (just behind the mags :(), but things are looking good, i suspect i won't finish this high as there are a handful of teams below me with games in hand and i have nicked a few 1-0's or 2-1's that i didn't deserve to win, so we'll see.

Coming up to january and i had already a good idea of what was going to go and come in. I'd have to sell for the most part before i could buy and when an offer for Richardson for £7mil came in from Villa i bite their hand off. Fulop was also being lined up as a potential bit of income, and eventually Malbranque would leave for a meager £2.2mil. I needed another MC (with Appiah always being injured, but also someone that could play alongside him when he wasn't). I'd want another Forward as Jones is terrible, i don't think i'll sell him this window, but he's definatley going to be moved on once i know i can bring in two forwards to replace him.

I'll leave the January transfer round up for my next post as well as the season finish so i can include some screenshots (at work atm).

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanna comment on Sunderland in FM09 - What a great team to manage!

I am in November 2010 (3rd season) and I am playing 9.03 with a summer transfer update. I currently have the second highest attendance in the EPL with 62592 and I am sitting at the top of the table.

I have 60M in the bank and still 23 in unused transfer funds. My team is absolutely ace:

I am using a tactic called "442 Vodu Caos" and it is so far the best tactic I have downloaded for FM09. Highly recommended!

GK: Gordon (Foster)

DR: Rafinha (Bardsley)

DL: Filipe (Sakho)

DC: Sakho (McShane)

DC: Ledley King (A Ferdinand

MR: Ben Arfa (Agbonlahor, Kuyt, Wijnaldum)

ML: Robinho (Ben Arfa, Wijnaldum, Filipe)

MC: Obi Mikel (Steven Davis, Whitehead)

MC: Emana (Ben Arfa)

SC: Vagner Love (Kuyt, Defoe)

SC: Mario Gomez (Robinho, Agbonlahor)

Notable In:

Mattock (2.5M, july 2008)

Vagner Love (16M, july 2008)

F Clerc (2.8M, july 2008)

Wijnaldum (4.4, july 2008)

Emana (3.9M, jan 2009)

McGeady 12M, jan 2009)

Steven Davis (6.5M, jan 2009)

Sakho (11M, jan 2009)

Defoe (8M, july 2009)

L King (13.5M, july 2009)

Kuyt (I was offered 17.25M + Kuyt for McGeady, july 2009)

Agbonlahor (Cost me 7M + Clerc, july 2009)

Ben Arfa (15M, july 2009)

Ben Foster (200k, jan 2010)

Mario Gomez (18.5M, july 2010)

Robinho (28.5M, july 2010)

Filipe (10M, july 2010)

Rafinha (10M, july 2010)

Obi Mikel (10M, july 2010)

Notable Outs:

Squad players sold in first year: A Reid, Stokes, Russel Anderson, C Edwards, Henderson, D Murphy, McCartney, Chopra, Malbranque. Leadbitter, Richardson, Tainio (Totalling 35M (!), 2008-2009)

Fraizer Campbell (8.25M, july 2009)

McGeady (17.25M + Kuyt, july 2009)

Mattock (20M (!), july 2010)

Lorik Cana (12.75M, july 2010) Chairman acccepted

Darren Bent (10M, July 2010)

According to History/Information on my manager profile:

Total In: 183M

Total Out: 104M

So I have spent a net amount of £80M which shows the potential in this club. The board aint afraid to spend money.

In my first season I was 7th in the EPL, the second season 3rd (Won Europa League). This season I have so far won the Super Cup against Manchester United (Champion's League winners).

Players I can highly recommend are Vagner Love (expensive!) and Achille Emana (cheap!). Keep Whitehead, Gordon, Bardsley, McShane, Ferdinand as squad players once you start building your empire.

Also, some clubs are easy to ransack for talent, in my save these clubs have been Bayern Munich, Tottenham and Man City. Also, it seems that once you sell a player to a club, some of there stars immediately become available making it easier to purchase them. For example, Tottenham bough F Campbell off me (8M) and then I could buy Defoe from them for 8M. Chelsea bought Cana from me for 13M, and then I could pick up Mikel for 10M. Ironically, Campbell and Defoe were "winner" and "runner-up" for signing of the season, which doesnt make sense since they were virtually swapped for each other. So the price for 2nd best signing of the season Defoe was Campbell who turned out to be the best buy of the season. Bargain? :-)

Anyway, it is great to see the attacking prowess of my team currently when Ben Arfa and Robinho attack down the flanks and Vagner Love and Gomez/Defoe/Kuyt poach in and around the area!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had another go as Sunderland for my last FM09 game. Used the Sortitoutsi update, got a budget of £22 million for a top half finish.

Transfers Out

Murphy £3 million to Ipswich Town

Russel Anderson £1 million

Richardson £5 million to Wolves

Transfers in

Buonanotte £6 million

David Beckham £5.5 million

Roberto Soldado £5 million

Cata Diaz £6 million

Takayuki Morimoto £3.7 million

Ochirosii 500k

Gael Kakuta £1 million

Victor Irineu 100k

I kept some of my budget as I wanted to try and get another striker in January.

Played quite well upto Jan and we were sitting between 12th and 8th, in Jan Quinny made a few more million available I had £6 million to spend I decided to get rid of Kenwyne as he was useless like normal on this game. Only got £6 million for him but I just wanted rid of him, I combined the money to make a bid for Milevskyi and signed him to partner the inform Soldado upfront.

The league cup got us a quarter final draw with Newcastle, Joey Barton scored after 6 minutes at the stadium of light. We pulled back and ended up winning 4-1 only to go out in the semifinals to Arsenal, we drew 2-2 at the Emirates but lost 1-0 at home. We also lost in the quarter finals of the FA cup to Arsenal 1-0 at the Emirates.

Milevskyi did not score many goals and finished the season with something like 9 in 21 but he set up countless goals for Soldado who grabbed 25 goals in all competitions and won the Premier League Golden Boot with a somewhat low total of 19 goals.

Turner and Cata Diaz were solid at the back as we managed to finish 6th in the league getting some incredible results along the way. Best game was a 2-1 win at Old Trafford with Campbell scoring in the 91st minute. Beckham also grabbed a brilliant 90th minute winner at Anfield to give us a 1-0 win.

Overall really happy with the finishing 6th in the league mean europe next season. We also agreed to sell Bent to Blackburn for £6 million could not get a higher bid so same as Jones I just wanted rid of him. In March Aston Villa offered Agbonlahor for £6.75 million so I bid and despite Villa offering him a new contract we agreed a deal for him. Hoping to bring in some more English lads for next season.

Starting 11

GK Craig Gordon

DR Phil Bardsley

DL Razvan Rat

DC Cata Diaz

DC Michael Turner

LM Diego Buonanotte

RM David Beckham

CM Lee Cattermole

CM Lorik Cana

ST Artem Milevskyi

ST Roberto Soldado

That was the strongest starting 11 of last season, hope to try and get 6th place again it will be a challenge but I think top 8 is the minimum I want.

Just started a game and its going ok, Liverpool beat me by a 94th minute goal (even though stoppage time was only meant to be 2 minutes) and then Chelsea beat me 2-0, but the performances have been encouraging. Then beat Walsall 1-0 in the cup thanks to Prica, however I feel I need a right winger to complete my team. Have 6.5 mil to spend, 9.0.3 database. Urgent reply would be great :)

Archived