The Official Chelsea Premiership Champions Thread 2005/06

JoeyM

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Portsmouth could miss out on Carlton Cole with the player considering staying at Chelsea.

Pompey have held talks with Chelsea over a possible move for the England Under-21 international.

Cole is back at Chelsea for pre-season training after spending the whole of last season on loan at Aston Villa.

Portsmouth were hoping to do a similar deal for Cole this season with the offer of first team football, but it appears Cole is ready to fight for his place at Stamford Bridge.

Fratton Park chairman Milan Mandaric has admitted the move for Cole has been put on ice with the player putting his Chelsea ambitions first.

"Carlton would select us after Chelsea but he wants to give himself a chance at Chelsea first," said Mandaric.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif

Shanyi- Sell Eidur for 5m? I'd reject 25m flat out. Have you seen him play? Really. I'm pretty sure there was something you said about him being old in there somewhere, he's only 26/27? Not even hit his prime yet.

Juni- whats your opinion of Joe Cole now days? I seem to remember you being not to keen on him this time last year. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shanyi:

Johnson is a great backup to Ferreira (when he was playing regularly, remember how great he was?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chapman:

Shanyi- Sell Eidur for 5m? I'd reject 25m flat out. Have you seen him play? Really. I'm pretty sure there was something you said about him being old in there somewhere, he's only 26/27? Not even hit his prime yet.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

£25m? icon_rolleyes.gif

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rsl:

doesn't C Cole have a pretty good scoring record for Chelsea? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aye, he does

This is from my local non league teams site

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Club is pleased to confirm that the Alan Hudson testimonial match between a United All Stars XI and a Chelsea Legends XI is now penned in the pre-season diary on Saturday 6 August. Olympic 400 metre runner Sean Baldock is the first guest name in the United squad and although the Legends' line-up will not be formally announced until the week of the game itself, subject to availability, the side will be selected from the following squad of former Blues' players.

Trevor Aylott, Ian Britton, John Bumstead, Gary Chivers, Jason Cundy, Kerry Dixon, Steve Finnieston, Gareth Hall, Steve Kember, David Lee, Colin Pates, Peter Rhodes-Brown, Nigel Spackman, Garry Stanley, David Stride, Clive Walker, Graham Wilkins and Ray Wilkins. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As are manager is Big Nev im sure he will be in goal for the United all stars

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by beffrey:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chapman:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

£25m? icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welldone.Now tell me the benefit of Chelsea selling him for that price?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FMaddick:

Anyone read we might be signing Smertin on loan? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw a little tidbit in one of the papers at some stage but nothing seems to have come from it, i like him so hopefully he'll stay put.

Last time I'm justifying my choices, from here on in you can either accept my opinion (unlikely) or not (very likely). Either way, you don't have to be rude about it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Eidur is fffffffffffffffffffffffffb, best striker we have </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I'm obviously the only one who doesn't think so much of Eidur here (but 25m? Come on!). Admittedly, I mainly see games on MotD since I don't have Sky, but he never seems to do as much running as he should, he drifts in and out of games and yes, he does play brilliant passes every now and then and has some cracking games (when he's in the mood), but he doesn't score as much as he should (and nowhere near the rate he did in his first two seasons). If he wants to prove me wrong, fantastic. So far, I'm unconvinced.

Grant gets a '6' because he's young, very talented (watch him play in the reserves- fully deserves his nickname) and will be a great asset to the club in the future. Obviously, the '6' is relative- a youth player's 6 is on a much lower yardstick than a senior player's 6.

Cech gets an 8 (hardly a bad score!) because we have a very able deputy in Cudicini, therefore it's not as though we can't afford to lose him for a few games, and he's had some duffers against Liverpool in the CC and Arsenal- big games. In time, he'll no doubt be a legend- for now, he's just fantastic.

Carlton Cole's always been great for Chelsea, and he loves the club so he gets a 7. Robben gets an 8 and Duff a 9 because we've only seen Robben a few times thanks to his injury, and Duff has been consistently excellent for almost two years, and has proven his versatility by moving to the right wing last season. If Robben's form is as good over such a long period, then yes he does deserve a '9'.

As stated three times (and ignored each one), my ratings is system is based on importance for the club and skill. My scores can be read like this.

1-Atrocious. Shouldn't play professional.

2-Extremely bad.

3-Might make it in Scotland (just joking- Chris Sutton level)

4-Below average

5-Average

6-Above average

7-Good

8-Excellent

9-Outstanding

10-Legend

So a '6' for Gudjohnsen isn't exactly saying he's Noah Hickey. If you want to criticise from here on in, be my guest but at least make it constructive and say what you'd do instead.

• Administrators

Right, taking Eidur as a sole case first of all. I'm not sure you'd find many more commited players in the league. He has a fantastic footballing brain, is wonderfully composed, can dribble through vast crowds of players, and has a great goalscoring record. In addition to this, he excelled in a central midfield role for the last 3 months of last season. Something asked of him by Mourinho because he saw the qualities I've just listed. And guess what? It worked, because Eidur is good enough and disciplined enough to have pulled it off.

Now moving onto the other stuff - you said you'd go to a 4-4-2 formation. Now I cannot, for the life of me, fathom why you'd want to break away from a formation which achieved the success of last season, at both ends of the field (we scored over 100 goals in all comps). Playing 4-4-2 takes away not only the amazing threat of our wingers, of which we have three very effective ones (and soon to be a 4th if the SWP rumours are true), but it also potentially makes Lampard less effective. OK, you can argue that he was just as effective in a 4-4-2 under Ranieri, but in his 'new' role under Mourinho he flourished to another level, not seen before. It also offers less defensive security, as you don't have the middle man helping sweep up between Makelele and Lampard. Oh, and the fact that we're one of the few teams not to play 4-4-2 in the Premiership AND been successful that way says to me that we're doing a lot right. I do believe Johsay will tweak around with his formation in order to stay ahead of the field, but I doubt it'll be heavily towards a 4-4-2 which has too many limitations.

Now, as far as the squad goes, we're not needing much. We have our new left back, we need a central midfielder capable of 25+ games a season. I like a lot of what Tiago does, but he lacks discipline at times and could contribute more. If we don't persist with him, then Essien's the big target. We get him, we've got a player who excels at both ends and could potentially take Makelele's place when he retires, should that be any time soon. We could do with a striker, but should Crespo get his head in the right place we'll have him and Drogba in place, who should get 30 between them with some luck and good health. If Carlton stays I have faith in Johsay making something of him, and maybe we could do with a 4th guy, since we lack depth and there's not much to speak of yet in the system.

So in short, the less sweeping changes, the better.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Now moving onto the other stuff - you said you'd go to a 4-4-2 formation. Now I cannot, for the life of me, fathom why you'd want to break away from a formation which achieved the success of last season, at both ends of the field (we scored over 100 goals in all comps). Playing 4-4-2 takes away not only the amazing threat of our wingers, of which we have three very effective ones (and soon to be a 4th if the SWP rumours are true), but it also potentially makes Lampard less effective. OK, you can argue that he was just as effective in a 4-4-2 under Ranieri, but in his 'new' role under Mourinho he flourished to another level, not seen before. It also offers less defensive security, as you don't have the middle man helping sweep up between Makelele and Lampard. Oh, and the fact that we're one of the few teams not to play 4-4-2 in the Premiership AND been successful that way says to me that we're doing a lot right. I do believe Johsay will tweak around with his formation in order to stay ahead of the field, but I doubt it'll be heavily towards a 4-4-2 which has too many limitations </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I agree with you. You'll notice my 'current team' is in our present formation. I only went to 4-4-2 because I couldn't think of a decent way of putting Robben, Duff and SWP in the same side in a 4-3-2-1 without upsetting the balance (and I still think we need a dedicated right winger). So yes, the current formation is much better than a boring 4-4-2.

And I'll watch Gudjohnsen more carefully next season, if he gets to play that is (and as for him in CM, I'd rather have Joe Cole pulling the strings with Lampard there tbh). I must admit, I haven't seen that dribbling for a long time and he did equal Drogba's scoring record last season (16?), but they were all pretty far apart as much as I can remember.

Still, at least unlike Drogba, he could score from more than just an open goal!

Eidur is a hugely important player. Though i personally cannot say exactly what his best position is he works hard for the team and is alwyas back defending. He reads the game extremely well and i suppose he would be best playing off a main front man in a 4-4-2.

However as we have been most effective in what is essentially a 4-3-3/4-5-1 he has proved that he can fit in well. Recently he has eemed to be better in midfield than up top. IMO the main deficiency in his game is his innability to jump and challenge for (win) any headers.

I believe are team generally will be as follows:

Cech

Del Horno/Bridge

Terry

Carvalho/Gallas

Ferreira

Robben

Makelele

Lampard

Essien/Eidur/Tiago

Wright-Phillips/Duff

Crespo/Drogba

This gives us a balanced defence with solid centre halves and dedicated left and right footers at full-back. Willy Gallas who will stay will compete with RC and can fill in when needed at left or right back due to his versatility and great pace. We also have two awesome keepers.

We then have Maka to break up play and to give the ball to Frank and hopefully Essien to make stuff happen. They can drop back and defend when needed. Decent backup for these too. Then the wingers can scare teams by running at them and put balls in for Crespo or the Drog. Eidur can be used as a secret weapon in midfield when we are chasing a game. Roll on mid-August! icon_smile.gif

I think Eidur is an extrodinary player. I think at some point Chelsea will want their books to become sensible ... even this summer their dealings in the market have been ok and not too silly (despite all the links) but i imagine they'll go for a "big" signing if possible .. they made some cash, albeit selling off players that came in during that silly first season when no one was steering the ship !

I don't think Chelsea need silly changes for the sake of changes or buying players cause they are good when they are on the bench the whole time.

What do you make of all this Gallas leaving stuff ... cracking player but not getting the chances as centre back ... cash in on him as you have Huth in the wings ?

Personally i think more has been made of the Gallas situation by the tabloids than is the case. It is well known he wants to play in the middle, but did a good job on the left last seaon as he was needed there due to Bridge's injury and Baba leaving.

I would really like him to stay as he is a great player and his pace and composure are great parts of his game. If we were to sell him however the £5-6m that is being mentioned is far too low. He is worth more like double that IMO.

Gallas will stay. He and Terry are by far the best defensive partnership in the Prem, and Gallas knows his extensive spell at left back last season was an exceptional circumstance. With Del Horno and Bridge, it's unlikely to happen again. Ricardo Carvalho is good, but has been a little disappointing for me this season- Gallas deserves to be first choice partner for John.

The Terry-Gallas partnership last season when played in the middle together only conceded something like 1 goal in 19 games.

Clarification Juni? icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FMaddick:

Anyone read we might be signing Smertin on loan? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw a little tidbit in one of the papers at some stage but nothing seems to have come from it, i like him so hopefully he'll stay put. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like i spoke too soon. bbc

Yep, he's joining us.

You better not recall him if we start doing too well, just like you did with Parker. You've moved up a little since then, so we shouldn't provide you with too much of a title challenge icon_biggrin.gif

Well now we really do need a backup DMC, so the Essien deal should be back on. Still a little dubious about spending 26m on a Man U supporter, though (see soccernet). I'd like to see Joe Keenan come through, but he obviously hasn't had nearly enough experience to be Maka's second in command.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Lyon's Essien set for Chelsea

2005-07-12 03:52 (New York)

PARIS, July 12 (AFP) - French footballer of the year Michael

Essien has called on French champions Lyon to let him go to English

champions Chelsea who have already had a 25 million euro (17 million

pound) bid for the player rejected.

"I want to go. I've thought it over during the holidays, I've

talked to my family, my girlfriend. It's time for me to go and I

won't change my mind," the 22-year-old Ghana international

midfielder told sports daily l'Equipe.

"Lyon's finished for me.

"I want to play in England, for Chelsea. I've had two good

seasons at Lyon, I've progressed and I feel it's time to move on. If

I don't go I'll regret it the rest of my life."

Club president Jean-Michel Aulas said last month he had turned

down a 25 million euro bid when asked if the English champions had

made an offer.

But British newspapers reported Tuesday Aulas had already agreed

to accept that sum and that Essien was due to undergo a medical in

London later in the day.

He was said to have agreed a four-year deal worth 3 million

pounds (4.3 million euros) a year.

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho, also in the hunt for Manchester

City's Shaun Wright-Phillips was reported to want to wrap up the

deal before the club left for its US tour.

Essien, a goalscoring midfielder on the opposite side to Frank

Lampard, could also fill in for Claude Makelele as a defensive

shield.

He joined Lyon from Bastia two seasons ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He is probably a good time United fan in any case.

Cool, the story's been picked up by soccernet and the beeb now. If he's that determined to go, we should be able to barter Lyon into a more acceptable transfer fee, rather than all this 25m nonsense that's being bandied about. How much do you all think SWP and Essien (since their transfers are now supposedly inevitable) are worth?

I'd say no more than 30m on the both of them, tbh. I don't know much about Essien (other than that he used to have Cantona posters on his wall) but 25m for a 22 year old Ghanian from Lyon? It's not like we're negotiating with Barcelona here. And SWP is a top player, but not worth 20m yet.

Also, if we get them, what's our regular XI for next season going to be? If Jose won't be accomodating Robben, Cole and Duff, what's SWP going to do?

Relax Shanyi, you're worrying far too much.

Firstly, £30m is optimistic for both players. I'd imagine the total figure to be much closer to £40m, and considering our last 2 seasons, £50m spent in 1 summer is not bad at all, especially considering that this figure will only decrease as Jose perfects his squad and everyone at the club is happy to hang around (eg Crespo is going to be another issue next summer).

Secondly, I don't think we should worry about over-spending. I'm sure they know our accounts better than we do, so as long as we have a world-beating squad and we haven't paid ridiculous amounts for any players (they're overrated amounts, but only by about £5m in each case imo), I don't mind these figures.

Thirdly, back-up to Makelele has worried me a little too. It won't be Essien as he seems more like a Gerrard-style player than a sit-in-front-of-the-back-4 player.

I remember Jarosik being used ineffectively in that position, and I know Mourinho said Anthony Grant is a "Makelele-style player" - although whether he'll throw him into big games if Mak is suspended/injured is a huge question mark.

Fourth, and I know it's difficult to start assuming injuries, but given both players histories, Duff and Robben are likely to miss several games, which will let SWP in on at least 15 occasions. Add to that the fact that I can't see Jose playing Duff/Robben all 3 games of a Saturday-Wednesday-Saturday combo, it will give SWP another 10-15 games, which gives him 25-30 starts. Add in sub appearances and you have quite a full season for the young man.

Cole might find it harder to fit in, and he will have to rely very much on injuries - but remember that he can play in the deeper midfield role as well, so he is much more flexible.

But I don't think he's good enough to be a fixture in our first 11 anyway so that's probably a good thing that we won't need to rely on him too heavily.

It's a really nice kit - really nice. But it doesn't feel "Chelsea" enough for me!

I think they've lightened the "royal" blue, and the yellow contrast just takes it further away from our real colours...

I thought our centenary kit was going to have a sponsor name on it, anyway? Nice kit though, even if I do think it's fake.

JoeyM, I'm not worried (it's not my money!!!) but I'd like to see Cole get a few games as he was great last season (Carlton as well). I think Geremi will be our backup DMC, Grant and Keenan are awesomely talented (I remember watching up playing Inter in a friendly a few years ago and Keenan was owning that midfield- that was when we were still poor, so Ranieri was looking to youth. If Abram hadn't come in, Joe would be big by now) but are very inexperienced and Grant in particular, is very young. We won't see much of them this season IMO.

And I can only hope everyone's right about Essien.

Are you sure it's not just a guess at what the new kit might look like? I mean, aside from the centenary sponsorship thing and the umbro logo, the new kit hasn't even been put up on the chelsea website yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm supposed to be starting a job in a warehouse soon, (in Chester ) sorting out new Chelsea kits. I'll borrow a few for you lot... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Time for an Ocean's Eleven style heist, methinks.

Archived