The Official Chelsea Premiership Champions Thread 2005/06

JoeyM

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bouncerboy13:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Cavanagh:

Why would we want SWP? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

EXACTLY, he's crap </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How is swp crap! he is a very good winger that can only improve at chelsea and would give another wide option, which unless you didnt watch the majority of last season you would have noticed that we need another due to long injury stretches to duff/robben as we only had joey cole as our wide player.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by strong centreback:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bouncerboy13:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Cavanagh:

How is swp crap! he is a very good winger that can only improve at chelsea and would give another wide option, which unless you didnt watch the majority of last season you would have noticed that we need another due to long injury stretches to duff/robben as we only had joey cole as our wide player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol, bouncer is a Man Citeh fan. You work it out icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by strong centreback:

How is swp crap! he is a very good winger that can only improve at chelsea and would give another wide option, which unless you didnt watch the majority of last season you would have noticed that we need another due to long injury stretches to duff/robben as we only had joey cole as our wide player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol, bouncer is a Man Citeh fan. You work it out icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is he icon_redface.gif my bad icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

lol, bouncer is a Man Citeh fan. You work it out icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

Ok - before I say what I am about to say, I want to say 2 things:

1) What I'm going to say is not really a surprise, or very useful as it has been widely reported - but it gives more credence to stories recently only published in newspapers with reputations for literally making thins up !

2) I am fully aware I am going to sound like one of those 15-year old kids who hang around "trashy" club message boards, and football rumour sites claiming they have inside tracks etc but what can I say - this is not made up.

Ok, now that I've successfully built up something not even worthy of anything at all - here goes:

My brother is good friends with someone who is very close to someone very high up at Chelsea.

He said that Chelsea are doing all they can to get SWP and he is one of their prime transfer targets, and we are "most probably" going to get him.

My bro said he couldn't expand on what "most probably" meant, as his friend wasn't supposed to talk about it, and thus didn't want to tell any more details.

That's it really.

Thought it might be of interest - and I know who the "high up" person is, and know the "close relationship" is a fact - but can't say for the most obvious of obvious reasons.

Awesome, i presume he will sign before we go to Portugal on the 17th or even before the Wycombe game. We really will scare the s**t out of teams with any combo of Robben, Duffa, SWP and Coley. icon14.gif

Hopefully the Drog will be able to get on the end of some of their crosses or even better Gila might. It will alos be interesting to see if Gerrard plays against TNS.

Are you a season-ticket holder JoeyM?

I'm not a season ticket holder. I can't really afford it at the mo, and combined with the fact that I play uni football on a saturday means that I can't get to a lot of games.

I end up going to about 7-10 games a season, usually games that wouldn't be included in the season ticket anyway - like cup games and CL games.

Hopefully get down to more whn I start working next year.

Why you ask?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blueistheonlycolour:

Awesome, i presume he will sign before we go to Portugal on the 17th or even before the Wycombe game. We really will scare the s**t out of teams with any combo of Robben, Duffa, SWP and Coley. icon14.gif

Hopefully the Drog will be able to get on the end of some of their crosses or even better Gila might. It will alos be interesting to see if Gerrard plays against TNS.

Are you a season-ticket holder JoeyM? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cole to leave if SWP signs anyone? He would be 4th choice wide player and with the world cup coming up in the summer he needs to be playing regularly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoeyM:

I'm not a season ticket holder. I can't really afford it at the mo, and combined with the fact that I play uni football on a saturday means that I can't get to a lot of games.

I end up going to about 7-10 games a season, usually games that wouldn't be included in the season ticket anyway - like cup games and CL games.

Hopefully get down to more whn I start working next year.

Why you ask? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just wondering, as you seem to know your stuff i thought you might be.

Thanks, appreciate the compliment mate.

I follow a lot of Chelsea news on various websites, watched most of the televised games last year (which came to about 25 games!) and watched replays of almost all the others on Chelsea TV, as well as watching a lot of "live from Stamford Bridge" wtih Neil Barnett (aka Mr. Chelsea), which has current players, ex-players and people like Kenyon on as guests quite a lot.

So I might as well have a season ticket!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blueistheonlycolour:

Are you a season-ticket holder JoeyM? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cole to leave if SWP signs anyone? He would be 4th choice wide player and with the world cup coming up in the summer he needs to be playing regularly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting.

However Cole is a very handy player. He can play in Tiago's role as well as the Duff/Robben wide roles, and given the fragility of Duff, Robben and SWP(if we sign him) then he will still get his fair share of games - and I'm sure JOse will like to keep him as a squad player.

It'll come down to his opportunities this year. I strongly doubt he'll be off this summer, regardless of who we sign, but if he starts less than 15-20 games this year then I imagine he'll be off.

With a likely 65 game season ahead though I'm sure he'll get at least 15 starts with another 15 coming off the bench - which may or may not be enough...

Sell Tiago, keep Cole. If we get SWP and Gerrard.

Gerrard's fate will be learnt when Liverpool play their first Champions league game, he'll be cup tied and thus ending our intrest in him for this season.

Erm, is that right Juni? Cup-Tied in the qualifiers? icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, and my summer signings, SWP, Gerrard, Owen. icon14.gif

Because Adriano wouldnt be available. icon_frown.gif

So the TNS game gets all the more interesting then.

I can see Gerrard not playing this game tbh, Rafa will give a ******** excuse about him being "burnt out" and wanting his captain to be fresh, blah blah, and then be gone by the end of July.

We wont touch him if he plays in the CL for Liverpool.

Why o why sell Scott Parker and keep Tiago? icon_frown.gif

Gerrard will be out of the CL Qualifiers now then?

My bet is he'll be at the Bridge, heard Real and Chelsea have come to an agreement not to bid against each other in future deals, as in the past both clubs have suffered paying inflated prices because of this. The Samuel and Carvalho deals for example.

Gerrard to Chelsea

Robinho to Real.

icon14.gif

A thought:

"The events over the last 5-6 weeks has changed my mind on staying at Liverpool"

Could this mean Michael Owen is on his way to Chelsea? He's the only world proven striker that would readily available for transfer. Him and SG are good friends, samne for Lampard.

Im going to the Wigan game icon_cool.gif if it isnt played behind closed doors.

Also i think it would be good to see Owen at Chelsea as well as Gerrard.

How many England internationals would we have then?

Terry

Bridge

Johnson

J.Cole

Lampard

Gerrard

Owen

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Chelsea bring in 11 first year players

Tuesday, Jul 05, 2005

Eleven youngsters trained with Chelsea for the first time yesterday, Monday, as full-time footballers.

They got together on Sunday evening in a hotel in Cobham, and underwent medical and physical tests on Monday morning before youth coach Brendan Rodgers gave them their first technical session.

It is a long time since Chelsea has brought in so many 16 year olds in one year, but there is a determination to strengthen the youth set up.

DEFENDERS

Ryan Bertrand: The left-back has been signed from Gillingham. Academy manager Neil Bath says: “He’s a fast, attacking Ashley Cole type, very strong in the tackle.â€

Jack Cork: Academy graduate. Neil says: “He’s been here since the age of nine and is very versatile. Recently he played for England Under 16s. He’ll probably start the season as a centre-half.â€

Sam Hutchinson: A right-back and another Academy graduate. Neil says: “Sam’s another player who’s been here since he was nine.â€

Harry Worley: Centre-back signed from Stockport. Neil says: “He’s six feet three inches, courageous and comfortable on the ball.â€

MIDFIELDERS

Liam Bridcutt: Academy graduate, a holding midfielder. Neil says: “He lives in the Reading area, is strong in the tackle and keeps possession well.â€

Ricardo Fernandes: Attacking midfielder signed from Sporting Lisbon. Chief scout Gwyn Williams says: “He gets up and down, has good ability and scores goals. Frank Lampard is his idol.â€

Hamzi Ismail: Academy graduate who can play in several positions. Neil says: “A late comer to the Academy, he started at 14 or 15. A South London Streatham based boy, six feet tall with good feet. He’s good technically for his size.â€

FORWARDS

Shaun Cummings: Academy graduate. Neil says: “He’s been with us since the Under 12s. Very fast, good size.â€

Fabio Ferreira: Signed from Sporting Lisbon. Gwyn says: “He’s really a wide player but can play anywhere in the front three including down the middle. Good pace, goes past people.â€

Tomi Saarlema Wide left player signed from Finland. Neil says: “Technically very good, he’s got a trick to beat a player and so catches the eye.â€

Scott Sinclair: Signed from Bristol Rovers. Neil says: “Good pace, scores goals.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some good news about the future stars there then. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Developing Players

The profiles of the young and developing players will be updated for the new season once the list of players reatained from last season is finalised.

Chelsea have though brought in a record number of new 16 year olds for the new season as part of a determination to strengthen the youth set up. These new arrivals are :

DEFENDERS

Ryan Bertrand: The left-back has been signed from Gillingham. Academy manager Neil Bath says: “He’s a fast, attacking Ashley Cole type, very strong in the tackle.â€

Jack Cork: Academy graduate. Neil says: “He’s been here since the age of nine and is very versatile. Recently he played for England Under 16s. He’ll probably start the season as a centre-half.â€

Sam Hutchinson: A right-back and another Academy graduate. Neil says: “Sam’s another player who’s been here since he was nine.â€

Harry Worley: Centre-back signed from Stockport. Neil says: “He’s six feet three inches, courageous and comfortable on the ball.â€

MIDFIELDERS

Liam Bridcutt: Academy graduate, a holding midfielder. Neil says: “He lives in the Reading area, is strong in the tackle and keeps possession well.â€

Ricardo Fernandes: Attacking midfielder signed from Sporting Lisbon. Chief scout Gwyn Williams says: “He gets up and down, has good ability and scores goals. Frank Lampard is his idol.â€

Hamzi Ismail: Academy graduate who can play in several positions. Neil says: “A late comer to the Academy, he started at 14 or 15. A South London Streatham based boy, six feet tall with good feet. He’s good technically for his size.â€

FORWARDS

Shaun Cummings: Academy graduate. Neil says: “He’s been with us since the Under 12s. Very fast, good size.â€

Fabio Ferreira: Signed from Sporting Lisbon. Gwyn says: “He’s really a wide player but can play anywhere in the front three including down the middle. Good pace, goes past people.â€

Tomi Saarlema: Wide left player signed from Finland. Neil says: “Technically very good, he’s got a trick to beat a player and so catches the eye.â€

Scott Sinclair: Signed from Bristol Rovers. Neil says: “Good pace, scores goals.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It pleases me that we seem to be making a really concentrated effort in improving the standard and number of our graduates. Coupled with our new training facilty hopefully a few of these players may make it in a couple of years or so.

• Administrators

Cork, Hutchinson, Bridcutt, Hamzi, and Cummings all played for the youth team last season, hopefully they'll progress this season. We tend to play a lot of younger kids in the reserves.

The two Portuguese lads are 2 of the 3 we 'poached' off Sporting Lisbon ages back

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lampers:

Beffrey did i just beat you to posting that a few minutes ago? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My dad actaully discovered the page had been updated around 12-ish. icon_razz.gif

So according to Crespo's agent, he's back with us for the year (check any football site for the quote).

What do you'all think?

I'm delighted IF, and that's a very big and bold IF , he is happy to do his best, and tries to settle.

He's a fantastic player, but if he's not happy he'll just spend the whole time sulking and being injured.

It also gives us a year to sign the exact striker we want, rather than resorting to someone less good (like Benni), and hence not signing another one next year.

Rather have Crespo and DD, this year, see if DD fails/succeeds, then reassess our options next year.

The way I see it, we have a few players on "trial" this year, or players who are giving their careers one more year at Chelsea to see if they break in.

In the 1st group, the people who still have to prove themselves to Jose and the fans (off the top of my head):

Johnson

Drogba

Tiago

Huth

In the 2nd group, players who are either not regulars who are hoping to break, or players that might be edged out, or players that don't like Chelsea but are willing to give us a year:

Crespo

Cudicini

Cole (if we sign SWP)

Smertin

Geremi

Bridge.

Assuming all of the above leave, we have the following core that will be with us for the next 5 years at least:

Cech

Terry

Ferreira

Del Horno

RC

Gallas

Makelele (only 2/3 years cos he's old).

Lamps

Duff

Robben

Gudjonsson

and SWP (if we get him).

ie, wrost case scenario next year, assuming SWP is our only other signing, and Crespo is our "attacker", that leaves a shopping list of:

Back-up RB, LB.

Excellent CM (Essien next year?), and a back up CM.

2 top quality strikers.

Of course, it's unlikely we'll lose all the above players.

Well well, Gerrard's f*cked us about again. I think the "Lynch mob" have succeeded again, if i was Liverpool id sell him anyway now, this loyalty **** that gets rammed down other teams throats about how Stevie Gerrard LOVES Liverpool when its been said that we went for him 3 times in the last 18 months and he's asked us to "wait". Then the developments over the last 48 hours indicates that actually he isnt so loyaland he would leave.

I wouldnt personally like to see him at Chelsea after this latest debacle, and if i was a Liverpool fan, i wouldnt want to see him pull on the red shirt again either. That's not me being bitter, it would pf been good to have Gerrard but im not falling into depression because we arent, id feel exactly the same way if it was a Chelsea player f*cking about over a contract like this.

From SkySports.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Milan have insisted that Chelsea are too blame for Hernan Crespo failed move to The Giuseppe Meazza.

Crespo looks almost certain to return to Stamford Bridge after spending last season on loan at the club.

The Argentine's agent even stated that Crespo would be heading back to West London, despite the fact the player himself has stated he is still in the dark over his future.

Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani revealed why the move for Crespo stumbled, which eventually led to The Rossoneri sealing a deal with Christian Vieri.

"It's true that at Hernan's wedding on May 16 I formally took the responsibility to see that the player would remain at Milan," Galliani told the club's website.

"It was a promise that I was the first to want to fulfil.

"But the negotiations with Chelsea have had too many obstacles and nothing was ever completed.

"This was certainly not my fault, the transfer market has certain rules that apply and you cannot lose time.

"Chelsea have no intention of letting Crespo leave their club.

"We waited until the meeting between Hidalgo and [Chelsea's chief executive Peter] Kenyon but unfortunately once again we found ourselves without a conclusion.

"I am saddened for Hernan," Galliani added.

"But we simply couldn't take the risk of losing precious time because otherwise any other club could have tried to get Vieri and we couldn't take that risk.

"When it became clear that the Crespo deal was a no-go, I decided to act quickly and with Vieri we have completed our attacking line-up."

Galliani also revealed that Milan would not be pursuing their interest in Alberto Gilardino.

"Parma are continuing to ask €30 million euros for Gilardino and at that price we will not buy him," Galliano said.

"As the days progress this matter gets even more complicated."

Meanwhile for Crespo, he is growing increasingly unhappy as it dawns on him that he will be back at Chelsea - but he seems to have few options left open to him.

"Until my agent Fernando Hidalgo calls me to tell me my future destination I will stay here," said Crespo from Italy.

"He admits staying with Milan had been starting to look increasing unlikely as the summer progressed.

"Ten days ago I said that the optimism was fading away and as time went by, I knew that it would have been very difficult for me to remain in Milan.

"I'm very happy for Vieri, he has been a good friend of mine ever since we played together at Inter.

"I am happy that he has achieved a dream by joining Milan and I wish him the best of luck in scoring goals because he is a great striker and an extraordinary person."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So we were the ones that stopped the Crespo deal going through. I guess that is for two reasons, one being that we have yet to find another striker and two that Milan wanted Crespo for free or near as.

Also if Milan won't go for Gila at 30m Euros then surely we can. icon14.gif

I just want SWP and Gila (not much to ask) before we start the friendlies. The speculation is getting annoying. And Gerrard you have made yourself look an absolute pranny.

Blimey, i havn't posted in here for months but it's nice to see the Chelsea thread is still as busy as ever icon_biggrin.gif

Anyhoo, what a fb season eh? Something we've no doubt all been waiting for our whole lives! I for one am not ashamed to admit i cried like a little girl the moment Lamps put in his 2nd at Bolton, and again when Jt lifted that trophy!

I always said when i was a kid if we win it once before i die, then i'll die happy, seems i was kidding myself icon_biggrin.gif

Its all go again as the new season is almost here, with our first friendly i believe is on wednesday.

Looks like monday and tuesday are going to be big days for us with a couple of signings coming in, SWP looks just about certain.

I'm dissapointed that Parker and Kez were sold, i still think Kezman could have been a big hit and i wanted him to get a fair run of starts but it obviously wasn't to be, Parker was going to be perfect to replace Maka in a couple of years, i just hope maka don't break a leg anytime soon.

I don't know an awful lot about Del Horno, from what I've seen he's similar to Bridge in respect that he's better attacking and needs work on his defending.

Delighted we've got Crespo back, I never wanted him out in the first place, hopefully he can settle this time around (prays) and be the predator we know he is.

I'm confident about this season, if we can defend the league and England bring home the World Cup, this may well be the best year ever, and i really will die a happy chappy icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chelseablue P.I.:

Well well, Gerrard's f*cked us about again. I think the "Lynch mob" have succeeded again, if i was Liverpool id sell him anyway now, this loyalty **** that gets rammed down other teams throats about how Stevie Gerrard LOVES Liverpool when its been said that we went for him 3 times in the last 18 months and he's asked us to "wait". Then the developments over the last 48 hours indicates that actually he isnt so loyaland he would leave.

I wouldnt personally like to see him at Chelsea after this latest debacle, and if i was a Liverpool fan, i wouldnt want to see him pull on the red shirt again either. That's not me being bitter, it would pf been good to have Gerrard but im not falling into depression because we arent, id feel exactly the same way if it was a Chelsea player f*cking about over a contract like this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well i'm happy he's staying, but the feeling amongst the fans is that he has to earn back our love.

I'd already spent the money in my head as well icon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moreclaw:

I'd already spent the money in my head as well icon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who on? icon_smile.gif

Right, I'm bored so here's my squad analysis for no particular reason. At the moment, our first team looks like this (the numbers reflect how good I think each player is, taking in both ability and usefulness for the team):

GK- P Cech (8), C Cudicini (7), L Pidgeley (6)

DEF- G Johnson (7), Paulo Ferreira (8), Nuno Morais (4), R Carvalho (7), R Huth (6), J Terry (10), S Watt (5), W Gallas (8), A Del Horno (7), W Bridge (7).

MID- Geremi Njitap (6), J Cole (8), J Jarosik (5), C Makelele (9), A Smertin (6), A Grant (6), Tiago Mendes (7), F Lampard (10), A Robben (8), D Duff (9).

F/STR- E Gudjohnsen (6), C Cole (7), D Drogba (7), H Crespo (7).

---

CURRENT TEAM

At the moment, that's a pretty formidable squad wherever you look, options all over the field. Defence is obviously tight, Terry, Carvalho and Gallas pretty much three of the best CBs in English football right now. Johnson is a great backup to Ferreira (when he was playing regularly, remember how great he was?) and now we have a very solid left side as well, even if the similarities between Bridge and Del Horno haven't gone unnoticed.

A midfield with Lampard, Cole, Robben, Duff and Makelele will compete and beat most in the division. But Jarosik, Geremi and Smertin? Nowhere near good enough for this team, should be out. Geremi remains because he's our only natural MR (though Cole deserves that spot if Robben or Duff don't get it), Smertin is too old but obviously our last real alternative to Maka now that Parker chickened (I liked him, but if he's not dedicated enough to fight for another year or so until Maka retires, well...) and Jarosik... well, he's tall, I suppose. Tiago is a very solid player who balances defence and attack well (perfect foil for Lamps and Mak), and although he's made mistakes he's young and will improve.

Attack is an odd one for me, since there aren't any 100% satisfactory players for the position. Kezman should have stayed, he would have been a perfect poacher to play off Drogba's speed. Drogba is a good player who scored 16 goals last season (not exactly a Sutton level flop), but his style of play is different to ours. He's at his best when muscling opposition players around, like against Bayern, but is very poor at finishing (like against Boro). His technique is decent, but inconsistent. Cole has always played well for us although clearly isn't near good enough for the starting XI, but I hope he gets some chances. He's stated he's only interested in playing for Chelsea before, and he has the quality to make it... one day. Gudjohnsen is best as a link up player, but is probably the most inconsistent player in the team and he has long spells of doing nothing. Crespo could be a great success, but he clearly isn't interested in playing for Chelsea (he'll bail next season) and although I'm hoping, I doubt he'll better his first season at the Bridge.

---

CHANGES I'D MAKE

SELLING

Obviously, no changes to the goalkeepers or the defence (although if someone came in with a bid of 5m+ for Huth, I'd consider it). In midfield, immediately dump Jarosik and Smertin- they wouldn't bring in any money, but they're still on the wage bill. For now, Geremi can be the covering DMC (but if we bring in another one, he can leave for 3m+). In attack, it might not be popular, but I'd sell Gudjohnsen (5m+) and if I got a good bid, Crespo (9m+).

BUYING

A new DMC would be important for a start, preferably someone young and although I'd like to say English, there isn't anyone of the right standard around right now. Grant or Joe Keenan could grow into the role, but not yet. I have to confess I don't know a thing about Essien, French football is one of the few I don't follow, but from what I hear, he's not a DMC and prefers Man Utd anyway. I'd leave him, especially for 24m (last price I heard). Since that player would inevitably be a backup, he can't be a fully established name, so I'd spend in the region of 5-9m at most bringing him in.

Right wing can be filled by Cole or Duff or Robben, so I don't have many worries there. It would be nice to have the '2 per position' 8 midfield player quota though, and SWP and Joaquin are both good buys, though only Joaquin merits over 20m at this point. Since Cole can also fill in central midfield, not only is he one of our most important squad players but he also means if we buy a winger, we won't need to buy central. So that's all good.

Attack needs strengthening, charge head on for Michael Owen. He's a perfect quick and skillful Drogba foil, and they'd make quite a team. Defoe and Robinho have also been mooted, but I don't think they're up to the standard yet. Owen, I think, would cost around 15m- good price. Three strikers is enough for me, since I'm happy playing Robben or Duff up there and I usually only field one at a time anyway.

So here's the summary:

IN- Michael Owen (15-18m), SWP (15m) or Joaquin (20-25m), young DMC (5-9m).

OUT- Alexey Smertin (free), Jiri Jarosik (free), Geremi (over 3m only), Gudjohnsen (over 5m only), Crespo (over 9m only).

---

MY STARTING XI (with 'normal' squad): 4-3-2-1

P Cech- Paulo Ferreira, J Terry, W Gallas, W Bridge- Tiago, C Makelele, F Lampard- A Robben (or Cole), D Duff- D Drogba.

Subs: C Cudicini, R Carvalho, Geremi, Cole (or Robben), Crespo.

MY NEW XI: 4-4-2

P Cech- Paulo Ferreira, J Terry, W Gallas, W Bridge- Joaquin/SWP, F Lampard, C Makelele, D Duff- A Robben (or Owen), D Drogba.

SUBS: C Cudicini, R Carvalho, J Cole, Tiago, Owen (or Robben)

---

So there you go. Utterly pointless, but those are my thoughts until I change my mind tomorrow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">F/STR- E Gudjohnsen (6), C Cole (7), D Drogba (7), H Crespo (7). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">E. Gudjohnsen (6), C. Cole (7)

that's when I stopped paying attention </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I said, I based it on more than just current ability. Gudjohnsen at the moment is clearly a better player than Cole, his link up play especially. However, bear in mind that Gudjohnsen is older, very inconsistent (IMO, anyway), is probably reaching the peak of his career and doesn't score nearly enough goals. Now goals haven't exactly been C Cole's forte recently either (!), but he's still young (21 or 22), he won't complain as much at being a backup forward to the obvious first choices Drogba and Crespo and having admitted that his heart is only ever in his play at Chelsea (after his less than brilliant Charlton loan), that is where I judge him. He has good skills on the ball and although he still has a lot to learn (it's a pity, for so many reasons, that GodZola isn't here any more to help him as in the old days), for the above reasons I rate his value to the team as being higher than Gudjohnsen's.

As for Drogba and Crespo, I already clarified that in my previous post.

Gudjohnsen is a quality player! How on earth you can even rate him below any of the other forwards is beyond me. He is technically the most gifted player we have and has the skill and awareness to play in midfield as well as upfront. So as previously mentioned, I stopped reading when I saw that comment about Carlton Cole.

And "Cech (8)". What does one of the best keepers in europe have to do to get above an 8 in your farcisal ratings!?

Archived