The Return of the Manchester United Thread v1.3 - The Future Starts Hereâ„¢

foobR

Suppose that's not a bad bit if business for £3.9m. If he settles and gives a genuine option on the wings, it's money well spent, and if he doesn't, it's no disaster. Can't exactly say I'm bouncing around the room with excitement though.

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

van der Sar

Howard

Heaton

G.Neville

Ferdinand

Silvestre

Heinze

P.Neville

O'Shea

Brown

Pique

Spector

Ronaldo

Scholes

Keane

Giggs

Fletcher

Fortune

Park

Kleberson

van Nistelrooy

Saha

Smith

Rooney

Solskjaer/Rossi?

I make that 25/26 realistic "first teamers" (dropped out Bellion and Miller because I hate their guts, and Richardson because "meh"). Solskjaer perhaps wishful thinking.

Where are we weak? Midfield depth looks a lot better now, Kleb hopefully will come gooder with his problems behind him, and Park could be the explosive force we need deep or on the wings (Rooney deep/wing isn't good).

Up front is pretty perfect, Owen instead of Saha would be nice, but unrealistic.

Defence is fine, every option covered with fairly solid players, plus the talents of Pique and Spector.

GK is fine.

If anything, we have too many useless players. I'd sell Peville ASAP, he's sapping up money when we don't need him.

Loan out Bellion and Miller, please. Richardson can go, we have Park.

Future worries: Keane icon_frown.gif A replacement HAS to be number 1 priority next summer, even if it takes all our budget getting a Gattuso or an Essien (if he's still available).

I had totally forgotten about RIchardson.

I can see either him or Giggs leaving this season as there is no way there will be places for both of them in the team.

RIchardson deserves a shot at our first team thsi season after playing so well in the WBA team last year.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by foobR:

Future worries: Keane icon_frown.gif A replacement HAS to be number 1 priority next summer, even if it takes all our budget getting a Gattuso or an Essien (if he's still available). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's this summer, foobs. The big weakness is that there is no one who can dominate midfield, even when Keane is fit. When he's missing, it looks even worse.

Even though it's a cliche, i've always believed the old addage about needing a strong spine to your team. When everyone's fit, VDS could be the right goalkeeper, Rio does that job at centre back, and Ruud does it up front. But no-one does in midfield any more, and quite simply i can't see us realistically challenging for honours again until we have someone who does.

Much as I hate to say it, we'll not have a title/CL-winning side until a replacement for Keane is found. He still has his day every now and then, but far too often others in the midfield are having to sacrifice their game for him - Fletcher physically, Scholes positionally. We can't afford to carry him as a passenger any longer.

We still havent been linked with many keane replacements, who else is there really out there who could do a job and might be affordable, I think Fergie is not gonna bother replacing him and just switch around the strikers and maybe a defender. We have only really been linked with Gattuso and a small article about Mascherano, nothing for Parker, Essien is a rentboy fan, who else is left to get that could do the job, not another djx2?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by foobR:

If not, who do we get? And more importantly, do we have the big cash to do that now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't answer either of those questions. On the second one, like someone else said, there seems to be a discrepancy in that there £6.5m (ish) that was reportedly available 'til July 31st, yet the £25m was not available until after the transfer window closes. So what happens to august? So it depends if that reprt is correct whether there is more to spend, or we have to wheel and deal.

As for who, your guess is as good as mine. I'm hoping that the silence just means that we've got smarter, and that we'll sign someone out of the blue, as we have with VDS and Park, rather than that there are no targets. I couldn't say who, though, as my knowledge of world football isn't good enough. My biggest worry is that it's still probably bigger than Martin Ferguson's icon_wink.gif

Essien is a definite non-starter this summer - Chelsea have had a £17m bid rejected already, which is way out of our range.

Fergie addressed two of the three big areas that needed attention - keeper and winger. Not really sure there's the money left to address the most important area though :/

This is from the guardian rumour mill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Further north, word is Graeme Souness is set to continue his altruistic transfer policy and, just a day after announcing he'd be glad to relieve Real Madrid of the burden that is Luis Figo, wants it to be known that he'd be happy to take Quinton Fortune off Manchester United's hands - and even give the debt-laden has-beens £2m to help them get back on their feet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While he's not a first teamer, he's probably our most reliable and versatile squad player. I'd be dissapointed if he went, given who should be ahead of him in the "offload" pile. Having said that, if it did happen for £2m, it would show how little we'd get for the real dross, so if that cash was needed towards a midfielder we've got a good chance of getting this summer, i'd live with it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Debt-laden has-beens? icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's true isn't it?

IMO you really should of gone for Parker. Could easily be a replacement for keane, and a couple of years learning from him would make him even better.

Not many box to box midifielders like him are available often.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Crilly:

small transfers are good. Cantona £1.2million , solskjaer £1.5million, Schmeichel 600k. Hooray for small transfer fee's! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hooray for those all being 50 years ago when fees were small anyway!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Debt-laden has-beens? icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's true isn't it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye. Hence the 'icon_frown.gif'

I wouldn't sell Giggs.

His form around Christmas time was immense. If one of the biggest problems of the past season was not beating the smaller teams, then if Giggs can get anywhere near that sort of form again in the league that will go a long way to help (if Fergie doesn't 'rest' him that is :-/).

Admittedly a bit 'if' if Giggs can recapture that form.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Crilly:

small transfers are good. Cantona £1.2million , solskjaer £1.5million, Schmeichel 600k. Hooray for small transfer fee's! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hooray for those all being 50 years ago when fees were small anyway! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

your right to an extent but not entirely. Roobo cost 2million in the 80s. But £1.2million for cantona and 600k for schmeichel were bargins even then

Lyon have revealed that a club bid €25 million for Michael Essien last week - and it was not Chelsea.

The Ghana international is one of Jose Mourinho's top summer targets and the wealthy West Londoners are pressing hard to obtain his signature.

Although chairman Jean-Michel Aulas previously revealed he had rebuffed an approach from Chelsea, it appears as though Real Madrid may have been willing to put their money on the table last Friday.

"Until today, I have received no offer from Chelsea," he told L'Equipe. "The €25 million offer I got last Friday came from another club."

Aulas had declared to Lyon's official site that Chelsea were the only club who had "officially" approached him for Essien.

-------------

Madrid? Or us? But Essien loves Chelsea? Essien forced to sign for us? I see where this is going

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Knox:

I wouldn't sell Giggs.

His form around Christmas time was immense. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye, when he was playing for this 2 year extension - which he now has.

You've got what you wanted:

UNITED ARE NOT FOR SALE icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Man Utd shares leave stock market

Shares in Manchester United have been delisted from the London Stock Exchange after 14 years on the market.

The action had been widely expected following the takeover of the club by US entrepreneur Malcolm Glazer.

The move means remaining shareholders will have to trade shares privately if they want to buy or sell them.

Mr Glazer owns 97.3% of United shares, but this is expected to rise past 97.6% - a level which would allow him to buy the remaining shares compulsorily.

An update on the precise level of Mr Glazer's share ownership is expected by Monday, the deadline he set for shareholders to sell their remaining shares to him for £3 each.

Mr Glazer, who owns NFL franchise Tampa Bay Buccaneers, became the majority shareholder of the club on 16 May in a £790m takeover.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well sort of icon_wink.gif

your right to an extent but not entirely. Roobo cost 2million in the 80s. But £1.2million for cantona and 600k for schmeichel were bargins even then </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

£1.5m, and that was the combined fee for both Robson and Remi Moses, although obviously Robson amounted for the bulk of that.

Park Fee being under £4m icon14.gif

How can we be resigned to losing Obi when he is our player? I cant see us letting him go unless Chelsea offer us more moeny than we paid.

Also whats this about The £25m not coming into play in august? I havent seen anything about it and have missed the last few pages of the thread.

Associated Press on transfer talk

Monday, June 20, 2005

..... might be too much for United who have been told by new owner Malcolm Glazer to restrict spending.

The Times reported they had only 6.25 million pounds to spend before the end of their financial year on July 31.

That money has been assigned to the signings of Fulham's Dutch goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar and Korean midfielder Park Ji Sung from Dutch side PSV Eindhoven.

Under Glazer's business plan Ferguson would have 25 million pounds for the following financial year, which would come after the transfer window closes.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There you go Taz. No idea if it's true, of course.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Monday, June 20, 2005

..... might be too much for United who have been told by new owner Malcolm Glazer to restrict spending.

The Times reported they had only 6.25 million pounds to spend before the end of their financial year on July 31.

That money has been assigned to the signings of Fulham's Dutch goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar and Korean midfielder Park Ji Sung from Dutch side PSV Eindhoven.

Under Glazer's business plan Ferguson would have 25 million pounds for the following financial year, which would come after the transfer window closes.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There you go Taz. No idea if it's true, of course. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget the 10m you owe us icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig[EVE]:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Monday, June 20, 2005

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget the 10m you owe us icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Saha? icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig[EVE]:

Monday, June 20, 2005

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget the 10m you owe us icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Think thats allready bugested for

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

Monday, June 20, 2005

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget the 10m you owe us icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Saha? icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok then - Saha and the 6m you owe us icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Man Utd set to complete Park deal

Manchester United have confirmed the signing of PSV Eindhoven midfielder Park Ji-Sung, subject to him passing a medical and getting a work permit.

The South Korean, 24, is reported to be flying to England on Wednesday for a medical before signing a four-year deal with the Old Trafford outfit.

The undisclosed fee is reported to be in the region of £4m, according to the player's agency FS Corporation.

Park joined PSV in December 2002 from Japanese club Kyoto Purple Sanga.

Park is confident he can have a major impact on the club as they seek to win back the Premiership from Chelsea.

"I am confident I can prove myself at one of the world's top clubs," he said.

"I want to show my value to United in terms of my ability, not for some marketing strategy for Asia. I am not going to England for business."

Park, who has 38 caps, recently helped South Korea book their place in their sixth consecutive World Cup by scoring in the 4-0 thrashing of Kuwait.

He impressed during PSV's superb run in the Champions League last season, scoring in the second leg of the semi-final against AC Milan.

If he does move he will become United's second signing of the summer after 34-year-old Dutch goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar.

He would also be the third player in recent years - after Jaap Stam and Ruud van Nistelrooy - to swap PSV for Old Trafford. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At £4m I think that's a good deal and has been completed pretty smoothly again icon14.gif

That means even after VdS and PJS we should definitely have some money left over... to be used for one position and one position alone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

He would also be the third player in recent years - after Jaap Stam and Ruud van Nistelrooy - to swap PSV for Old Trafford. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Should of been the 4th icon_mad.gif

Archived