The Return of the Manchester United Thread v1.3 - The Future Starts Hereâ„¢

foobR

Weird, it was originally quoted as 4-4.5m when the rumours started, then PSV say we will have to pay "well over the odds" due to his marketing potential, yet we end up getting him for 3.9m??

icon_confused.gif

Not that im complaining though, more money for a DM hopefully icon_wink.gif

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryno:

Is that still going on?

Nevermind, I didn't think most people would understand. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

f*cking hell. what a supercilious tw*t you are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

that's meant to kick off a couple of pages of petty sniping and inane argument...and leave a grudge that'll keep us entertained for months :-/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought our In-Thread-Entertainment was coming from You vs. Carter?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

Ryno knows he's in the right so he can icon_biggrin.gif away at you all day tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure I should take the Keyser approach of insulting you, the Scoot approach of patronising you, or the James07? approach of continuing the debate beyond the point at which most sane people revert to banging their head against the nearest wall.

Don't icon_biggrin.gif at me

that's meant to kick off a couple of pages of petty sniping and inane argument...and leave a grudge that'll keep us entertained for months :-/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't hold grudges. I just smile away when I like.

aye, fair enough.

in the end the only point I've got is that there are better ways of spending your money. The 'realness' or otherwise of anyone's support is a load of sh*te.

Wicom made some good points about the weakness of the anti-glazer campaign, but I think there's been enough logical argument to explain why the purchase of a shirt is different to a season ticket on emotional and practical levels.

aye, fair enough.

in the end the only point I've got is that there are better ways of spending your money. The 'realness' or otherwise of anyone's support is a load of sh*te.

Wicom made some good points about the weakness of the anti-glazer campaign, but I think there's been enough logical argument to explain why the purchase of a shirt is different to a season ticket on emotional and practical levels. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I can understand that. Everyone will have their own way of supporting the club.

Where are the direct quotes from United. It's all 3rd party comments. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Statement on manutd.com

Manchester United is delighted to announce it has reached agreement with PSV Eindhoven for the purchase of South Korean midfielder Ji Sung Park for an undisclosed fee.

The Club has also reached agreement with the player on a four year contract. Ji Sung will undergo a medical this week and his registration is conditional on obtaining a work permit

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

welcome to the world of undisclosed fees icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats what I was thinking icon_biggrin.gif

£8m then

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Cartman:

£8m then </div></BLOCKQUOTE>probably. Has the club been officially delisted yet? If not, don't thy still have to report fees, or because of the imminent delisting this is not required?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by player_65:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Cartman:

£8m then </div></BLOCKQUOTE>probably. Has the club been officially delisted yet? If not, don't thy still have to report fees, or because of the imminent delisting this is not required? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still on the market until glazer gets 90% of the existing shares, so depends when the deal(both park and for the club) is finalised as he should be delisting in the next few days/weeks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by player_65:

£8m then </div></BLOCKQUOTE>probably. Has the club been officially delisted yet? If not, don't thy still have to report fees, or because of the imminent delisting this is not required? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still on the market until glazer gets 90% of the existing shares, so depends when the deal(both park and for the club) is finalised as he should be delisting in the next few days/weeks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sky news are reporting that the club will be delisted at the close of trading today

Was watching sky sports yesterday afternoon, and the Hong Kong 7's came on. Watched Aston Villa vs Rangers and was a good game.

But noticed United put a team in. Anyone been watching it? It seems to be all young players playing and reconised a couple of the Villa youngsters

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> FURIOUS Man United fans claim they have been “robbed†of a £23 fee AFTER quitting a club membership scheme.

The money was for the One United official club for fans which has 200,000 members.

Thousands of supporters cancelled subscriptions in a boycott of the club when American tycoon Malcolm Glazer took over last month.

But they discovered yesterday the club was still getting the money from their bank accounts.

Oliver Houston, of Shareholders United which is fighting the takeover, said: “It is daylight robbery. I don’t believe it is the bank’s fault.â€

A club spokesman said last night unhappy fans should contact their banks and “the money will be refunded.â€

Fans vowed to complain to the Trading Standards Institute.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

mgifb :*)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bouncerboy13:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bouncerboy13:

Has Park Ji-Sung been bought as a merchandising tool? Or is he going to contend for a place in the team? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not see him against AC Milan? He ran there back 4 ragged, he is a good player! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw Karel Poborsky score a wonder goal in Euro 1996 but he never set the world alight at United. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

due to a Mr David Beckham mainly, Porborsky was a good player and proved it when he left, Forlan style.

oh and about the ticket v shirt debate, if you don't go to any games then the shirt probably has a greater significance than for those who don't live on the other side of the world. If you're not willing to give up your season ticket because it's too much of a sacrifice (regardless of the (valid) argument that may mean if you do Glazer gets more money, after all that's not the real reason anyone is keeping it) then how can you complain about others not giving stuff up? (and yes the shirt is purely a marketing tool etc but to some people it makes them feel part of the club).

probably. Has the club been officially delisted yet? If not, don't thy still have to report fees, or because of the imminent delisting this is not required? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

AFAIK it was a volountary decision anyway, it was nothing to do with being listed or not.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

probably. Has the club been officially delisted yet? If not, don't thy still have to report fees, or because of the imminent delisting this is not required? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

AFAIK it was a volountary decision anyway, it was nothing to do with being listed or not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ah, cheers for clearing that up icon14.gif

Ah, cheers for clearing that up icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't assume i know what i'm talking about. that could be b*llocks icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Wahoo, we signed someone good who was cheap! Whne was the last time that happened? Cantona? Ole? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think i'll wait and see if he has an impact before opening the champagne.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Wahoo, we signed someone good who was cheap! Whne was the last time that happened? Cantona? Ole? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think i'll wait and see if he has an impact before opening the champagne. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha, me too. I'm pretty excited about it though.

I couldn't give a sh*t icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

THe feeling will return James, any new on if you're coming to Antwerp?

Not having a go or anything here, but with your history over the past decade and being linked over the summer with people like Buffon, Casillas, Vicente, Joaquin ect whether it be just newspaper talk or not, are you not disappointed to have bought the likes of van der Saar and Park Ji-sung? They just seem like more Fortunes and Blancs to me

Not having a go or anything here, but with your history over the past decade and being linked over the summer with people like Buffon, Casillas, Vicente, Joaquin ect whether it be just newspaper talk or not, are you not disappointed to have bought the likes of van der Saar and Park Ji-sung? They just seem like more Fortunes and Blancs to me </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We dont have the finances to spend 10's of millions this summer on world class players, in 2004 we spent like $53mill? On Rooney, Saha, Smith and Heinze so it is natural we arent going to spend big money this summer. Im extremely happy with van der Saar and what he can bring to the team, and only time will tell how Park does but he will offer something we sorely missed last season.

Not having a go or anything here, but with your history over the past decade and being linked over the summer with people like Buffon, Casillas, Vicente, Joaquin ect whether it be just newspaper talk or not, are you not disappointed to have bought the likes of van der Saar and Park Ji-sung? They just seem like more Fortunes and Blancs to me </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think most of us are realists. We know we don't have the cash for The Big Names, and even if we did, its never been easy attracting them to Manchester.

not that disappointed tbh. Yes it would have been nice to sign a couple of those, but tbh, with the exception of Veron, Ferdinand & Rooney, I'm hard pressed to think of a real world renowned star United have signed in the recent past. Even Rooney is arguable to a degree being so young.

Ruud, Ronaldo, Yorke & Stam were expensive but not real big names in terms of world pedigree.

Besides even if it is just a big PR stunt by Glazer & co., I wouldn't be surprised to see a big name arrival before the season starts, probably Owen much to my chagrin.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

It would be great if we had Rooney/Ruud and Owen in the same side. Rooney just behind with Owen and Ruud up front.

Or is that just me? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And drop Scholes?

it's not that it's a 'small' signing. I just don't care.

If we announced the sale of Ruud to Chelsea for 17 pounds and a packet of Pringles I'd just shrug. I've not got a rational, sensible explanation to say why the 'buzz' has gone....it just has.

Don't feel any better about FCUoM either......

heading towards Cranker like territory. I'll be an impartial observer of football rather than a fan.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by foobR:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

It would be great if we had Rooney/Ruud and Owen in the same side. Rooney just behind with Owen and Ruud up front.

And drop Scholes? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly. And we'd have no width either, just a narrow midfield to protect the back 4.

But even though Veron was a huge failure, when you signed him everyone was like OMG Utd have signed one of the best players in the world, you felt like Utd were one of the biggest clubs in the world.

From a outsider looking in and forgetting the whole Glazier stuff, i'd let Chelski spend stupid money on Rio and offload Saha to Everton before they spend stupid money on a striker. Do you know Villareal have just bought Juan Roman Riquelme for £3.5m, £3.5m for one of the best players in the world imo. The players are out there cheap, maybe this Park is one of them. Scott Parker would have been a great signing aswell.

I really couldn't say until the end of the close season. VDS should be a good player for us, Park is the type of player we need, i'm yet to be convinced he'll settle here. If we also get a medium or big name Keane style player, then the strategy was correct in terms of the amount we've spent on them, as that is the most pressing need.

I'm assuming that the striker situation is that any change will be one in one out. So Owen will only happen if Ruud actively wants to leave, and the only other change might be Saha out with a replacement coming in for roughly the same price.

But even though Veron was a huge failure, when you signed him everyone was like OMG Utd have signed one of the best players in the world, you felt like Utd were one of the biggest clubs in the world. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Signing Seba was like taking some crazy hallucinogenic, or pulling that hot girl you always lusted after, but who turned out to be a b*tch.

At the time it was amazing, seemingly unreal. But soon we started to 'come down' and it wasn't pleasant. We'd spent £28m on a 'name' player who was turning out to be a (relative) failure and it I think some of us were collectively scarred.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by foobR:

And drop Scholes? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scholes would play in the midfield 3, it'd be Ronaldo you'd lose from the current first XI in that formation. However, as he could quite easily play behind a front 2 as well, in reality you'd be regularly playing 3 from 4 of Ruud, Owen, Rooney and Ronaldo, with Rooney alternating between the front two and the deeper role depending on which player was left out each week.

The player who would really lose out would be Giggs, as though he'd get games both in the midfield 3 and behind the front 2, neither are roles he's really suited for.

giggs is heading towards the door marked 'exit' anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not so sure. he had a bit of a renaissance last season. Whether it was a return to form or an Indian summer i'm not sure, but he'll play plenty of games this season at least, i think.

What i posted on the formation was very much a hypothetical. In reality i don't see Fergie playing that way. That formation has no width, and i think we'd have seen it at some point last season if we were going to. there were plenty times we had the personnel who would have fit that way of playing if we had any intention of using it. Anyway, i see Park as being more of a wide player, so it would be a bit mad to buy a winger just as we switch to a system that doesn't use them.

Yes, i know the fact that it's Fergie means all that logic goes out of the window. just humour me, OK icon_biggrin.gif

Archived