Idea: mentoring people with regards to tactics

4 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

What do you mean you tried to focus play down the flanks? Did you just add the TI? Do you know what it does?

I added the TI. And played a formation with wide pairs, as opposed to Colombia's single pair of wide players. I suppose Exploiting a flank is not straightforward, then?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Bunkerossian said:

I added the TI. And played a formation with wide pairs, as opposed to Colombia's single pair of wide players. I supposeExploiting a flank is not straightforward, then?

So you don't know what it does? Do you not think that your formation could find little space against theirs, so could NATURALLY focus play on the wings more even without a TI? You already outnumber them there, so you already have an advantage.

The game isn't as simple as Narrow Formation = Exploit Flanks ; Wide Formation = Exploit Middle.

What you instruct has actual, practical effects. Did you take this into account? Did you take into account where you now could potentially open up a weak area? Or how your team will actually move and play now? Could you see in a match that things weren't going your way on the flanks?

6 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

So you don't know what it does? Do you not think that your formation would find little space against theirs, so would NATURALLY focus play on the wings more?

The game isn't as simple as Narrow Formation = Exploit Flanks ; Wide Formation = Exploit Middle.

What you instruct has actual, practical effects. Did you take this into account? Did you take into account where you now could potentially open up a weak area? Or how your team will actually move and play now? Could you see in a match that things weren't going your way on the flanks?

I had to attack somewhere, and the middle wasn't going to be it (3 players with solid athletic and defensive ability behind a playmaker). However, it seemed that even on the flanks, they were able to race back and block crosses. I had hoped that, once I activated Exploit the Flanks on both sides, it would allow me to create chances.

Just now, Bunkerossian said:

I had to attack somewhere

Obviously. This is why you see most advice leaning toward helping people build balanced systems. If there's little chance in the middle, you'll still create out wide. 

1 minute ago, HUNT3R said:

Obviously. This is why you see most advice leaning toward helping people build balanced systems. If there's little chance in the middle, you'll still create out wide. 

I was satisfied with general defending, as only one clear-cut chance was afforded to the opposition in the first half, but the set pieces resulting from blocks or interceptions killed me- two identical goals. I simply don't have players that are really strong in the air. But in the attack, it was a disappointment that might or might not have to do with tactics. Not even once did my best performing player up to that point- the right (MR) winger, manage to send an unblocked cross into the penalty box. The goal that Colombia scored from the right flank happened when I had opened up more, in the second half.

Just now, Bunkerossian said:

Not even once did my best performing player up to that point- the right (MR) winger, manage to send an unblocked cross into the penalty box.

So you identified an issue. Did you do anything about it?

Just now, HUNT3R said:

So you identified an issue. Did you do anything about it?

What could I have done? I do not have an adequate player replacement that could have hoped to do better. At least, I don't think so. Pushing him up to AMR was what I'd done later, but no result. In fact, the left WM was pushed up to AML too, and that might've caused the third goal.

1 minute ago, Bunkerossian said:

What could I have done? I do not have an adequate player replacement that could have hoped to do better. At least, I don't think so. Pushing him up to AMR was what I'd done later, but no result. In fact, the left WM was pushed up to AML too, and that might've caused the third goal.

You could have done something at least. Replacing him with a weaker player when all else stays the same is obviously not a good idea. He'll just get his crosses blocked and the opposition will have an easier time doing so.

Just think though? What does a player need to get a cross in? He needs to be in space/not with an opposition player right in the path. You could have changed one of the midfielders slightly to maybe draw that fullback or instructed your fullback on that side to support him more. Or changed system or the setup entirely. Or looked at why the left wing did nothing. Or why those crosses on the right did get blocked and made a plan around it.

No system details, so these are general ideas.

Just now, HUNT3R said:

You could have done something at least. Replacing him with a weaker player when all else stays the same is obviously not a good idea. He'll just get his crosses blocked and the opposition will have an easier time doing so.

Just think though? What does a player need to get a cross in? He needs to be in space/not with an opposition player right in the path. You could have changed one of the midfielders slightly to maybe draw that fullback or instructed your fullback on that side to support him more. Or changed system or the setup entirely. Or looked at why the left wing did nothing. Or why those crosses on the right did get blocked and made a plan around it.

No system details, so these are general ideas.

I put the forward wide players one stratum back for that game. Thw wide midfielder should've used his pace to go in behind the midfield three, and let the WB go forth.

South Korea_  Overview-2.png

On 09/09/2017 at 16:32, bosque said:

I think the problem is people don't know what is going on during games. That is my biggest problem. I don't know if my team is playing good or bad because I'm bad at reading games. I would like to read or watch a guide that teach me how to read games.

This book is excellent in that respect

Talking Tactics: You’ll Never Look at Football the Same Way Again By Mihail Vladimirov and Bob Pearce

4 hours ago, Seagullfan said:

This book is excellent in that respect

Talking Tactics: You’ll Never Look at Football the Same Way Again By Mihail Vladimirov and Bob Pearce

Oh thanks, that's interesting. I will read it when I have time. Thank you!

Archived