CMO Announcement 11

dogs

Lads of late i feel the CMO has lacked any creativeness and gusto.

I want the CMO guys to post here their feedback for the CMO forum.

What you like, what you dont like, what you would like to see. No holds barr so dont hold back, i'm on a creativity drive here icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Mr X on 07 January 2004 at 18:25.]

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What you like, what you dont like, what you would like to see. No holds barr so dont hold back, i'm on a creativity drive here icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Mr X on 07 January 2004 at 18:25.]

For me i would like to see a return of the official clan and title statement, it would give clans and hosts an objective and goal to achieve and upkeep.

I'm against the CMO webby, for me its a forum within a forum. We arent a strong enough forum yet, to branch off, we want to canvass enthusiasitic online players and get a hard core collection of clans on here first. I want to bring back past players who have been disallusioned with the forum. My recent roll call only showed up 11 dedicated clan, that imo is a shambles.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marlow:

Yeah I'd agree with those, possibly get the chatroom to be more of an influence? - with weekly meetings for example, not too sure on that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

there's a chatroom ?? icon_eek.gif

im relativley new to all this having only played in one clan previous although im trying to get my clan up and running so hopefully i will be in here more often icon_biggrin.gif

I agree with you on having clans at the top of the page. I e-mailed foxy a few months ago about this and hopefully something can now be done to bring it back. Many new people wouldn't look at the site as they weren't signed up and so it was harder for them to know which clans are 'established' and which aren't.

I think the rules need to be more rigid. At the moment someone can post hundreds of posts full of text speak, e-mail adresses etc. and all that will happen is their thread will get closed. IMO this isn't good enough, persistent offenders should get a warning at least.

We currently have 4 people modding the forum (Goldy, Dogs, marlow, Paul Bray). As you said, Dogs, this is a small forum and I'm not sure that this many people are necessary. Goldy rarely posts and Paul only posts in the EMA thread. I can't remember seeing either of them close a thread in a while! I see no reason to have more than 2 (IMO it should be you as moderator and marlow as helper but that's up for debate). If there need be more than 2, we should at least make sure that the people who are appointed are really helping. (I've got nothing against either Paul or Goldy and I don't blame them for not modding, it's probably a pretty thankless and tiresome task but I think we need to have people who really want to be doing the job if this forum is going to continue to grow).

I haven't joined the CMO site so I can't really comment, but it has always seemed pretty pointless to me.

I think one thing that would help the forum continue to grow properly, rather than just the occasional revamp, would be having a regular meet-up in a dedicated chat room where people could discuss what can be improved (in a similar way to what this thread is doing but doing this once a month).

Although the 'short-term game thread' has helped, I see no reason for us not to have a dedicated forum chat room for people to either just have a general chat or to organize games.

That's all for now icon_smile.gif

i might be speaking out of turn here but shouldnt we/you(dont like to use the term we since im not really a regular round here....yeticon_biggrin.gif) be cracking down on user who post things like "online game right now" and posting there ip's and the like?, just a thought.

also wouldnt having the short term thread sticked maybe save some of these post happening in the first ?

again just a thought.

1. As Mr X (aka Dogs) isn't as much in here I can imagine Marlow becomes a 2nd Moderator. Maybe we can appoint a new CMO helper then.

2. Official recognised Clans would be good at the top of the forum. But the problem is that a clan that was started on CM4 and played lots of seasons isn't even recognised now when they have just gone over to CM0304 icon_confused.gif.

3. Its a bit unclear to me I hear your voice now first after Silverfox went away icon_confused.gif. Wish you all the luck though Dogs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr X:

What you like, what you dont like, what you would like to see. No holds barr so dont hold back, i'm on a creativity drive here icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif Lol no lack of creativness or gusto in the Scottish Clan icon_wink.gif

Remember me icon_razz.gif, well i think that the CMO forums have come a long way since i have joined, there usually was 80% "Game Now IP Here" games and very few main clans usually with one or two exceptions The Scots Clan for example. Since then it has come on leeps and bounds with a lot more dedicated and committed players and clans coming onto the scene and less and less of the "Game Here IP Inside" games. I think this is due to mainly the moderators and helpers making rules, closing down those types of topics and generally helping the new guys. But recently i have seen these sort of people crop up again and instead of saying please look at the rules you really should be giving them a warning as it is really clear at the top, or maybe we should make it a sticky topic with all the rules in it to make it more obvious.

In relation to the website i think it was a complete waste of time no offence, only the really hardcore players were going to sign up and due to the price (even though it was very little), i dont think people could be bothered with the hassel of sorting it out. And also even if the new guys signed up i dont think it would have really blossomed as there still wouldnt be as many as you would really need to have a very good active community.

I agree on the idea of having regular meetings, only about twice have i seen the chatroom been put to good use, My CMO Awards a year or so ago and for a World Cup game a while back. Since then i havent heard about the chatroom being put to any use whatsoever. I think you should give a date and time most people are free, probably a Sunday or something and then set a sort of discussion topic for all members to discuss, not just the regulars and the mods, as everyone has a right to an opinion, no matter how insignificant it may be. Then we can really find out what every CMO'er wants and we can make this forum a better place.

I also think regular tournaments (not offline) would be good like Paul Bray's EMA Tourny as they are fun and can be played pretty quickly and i dont really think they fit into the short game area. Things like World Cup games were a huge success a while back and i think they should be brought back in to create some more excitment to CMO.

Thats all for now if i think of anything else i will post. icon_smile.gif

If there is any idea's you have and you don't want to post them.....feel free to email myself , dogs, marlow or Paul Bray.

We can then discuss the idea's between us and see if its a benefit to the forum and of course yourself icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dee:

Another thing i would like if the moderators and helpers are up for it would be regular clean ups of this forum because this will make the forum look cleaner and only the "good topics" will be left there.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it would be good if someone could clear out the drivel, but keep the threads of old clans that have either moved on or vanished.

Ok, I've got a couple of suggestions for you to mull over which I think may improve the quality of CMO.

Firstly - I think the idea of having clans permanently at the top of the page, ones that have been around for a set time or where the host is known as reliable and committed, should be given emphasis and be highly recommended by moderators (mine included icon_wink.gif ).

I didn't join the CM website as that seemed like a waste of time, but as far as I can see it has been a long while since newer clans have been given recognition. As a host myself I feel the recognition is something to strive for, and gives potential players a guide to where they might get a decent game.

Secondly - The biggest bug-bear for me has always been the amount of players who come on here, apply for clan games, turn up for a session or two and then disappear leaving you in the lurch. For example in my CM4 game, I had a player who turned up on night one as Man U, signed all the best youths including Rooney, and never showed his face again. This user was then in many threads afterwards regarding games. In my opinion, some form of warning or yellow card, or ideally a blacklist should be made available to discourage these people from behaving in such a manner. Obviously these people should only be blacklisted when A: There is a legitimate reason like above, B: The complainer or host has a reliable reputaton as a CM gamer. These people are the most irritating twats in CMO.

Thirdly - How about something for the high achievers to play for gaming recognition in CMO. Ok Marlow had his awards ceremony, but personally I have never come across any of these players, so how are we to know if they are truly the best...Also, this has come across to me as a bit of a back slap thing for the boys. No offence intended to Marlow or anyone, as he is an excellent helper, but its just my opinion on the awards. Why not have a yearly competition, online, where each reputable clan forwards it's top two or three players to partake in an Official CMO game of the year. Obviously this would take a bit of organising, but again, it encourages competition and achievement. Someone gets to be numero uno and have earned it, and whatever clan he came from takes a lot of pleasure out of it as well.

Anyway, just a few suggestions.

Merry Christmas to all you guys.

Niall

Good to see this initial responce lads, shows that we have life in the forum after all. Keep them coming in. What works what doesnt work etc etc....

Remember no holds barr this is a free for all convo, i will look at all the ideas in the new look CMO in the 1st week of January.

ok here goes.....

1. cmonline website needs to go, i dont understand the need to seperate it from this forum lets get it all back in house!

2. Why isnt there a thread at the top of the forum called F.A.Q, lets face facts here guys nobody (well not many anyway) even bothers reading the guff at the top of the forum, they just go striaght in and think bollocks ill ask who wants a game, maybe just maybe if there was an FAQ (non repliable) they might just check that first and we cant start to get rid what is **** useless cr@ppy threads!!!!!!

3. id like to see a recognised clan thread or something simular, id also like to see bad/good host guide, bad/good players etc this is largely a major problem in CMOnline (not so much for established clans) but for example a new clan starts and has 8 new guys within a week 5 have droped out just "because" and the clan pretty much goes to the wall, seen it so many times, with good/bad player guides i beleive we can greatly enhance this experience which is CMONLINE.

covering the above point i was all up for doing a website about this, also giving stats on current clans and managers. A full indepth site, but got mixed reviews and that and coming back from the caribbean put pay to that, it is something however i feel would greatly enhance this site, it does however take it back to the possibilitys of what is the cmonline site now, which as i said above is utter garbage.

Still food for thought there icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr X:

Good to see this initial responce lads, shows that we have life in the forum after all. Keep them coming in. What works what doesnt work etc etc....

Remember no holds barr this is a free for all convo, i will look at all the ideas in the new look CMO in the 1st week of January.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

can i just say what a ****ing good thing this is, good on ya dogs icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Goldy:

That clear out was for all forums though i think not just ours..........and anyway......the best thread is the hall of fame and is called EFB icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>#

Yeah it was, but we managed to save our threads icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> 2. Why isnt there a thread at the top of the forum called F.A.Q, lets face facts here guys nobody (well not many anyway) even bothers reading the guff at the top of the forum, they just go striaght in and think bollocks ill ask who wants a game, maybe just maybe if there was an FAQ (non repliable) they might just check that first and we cant start to get rid what is **** useless cr@ppy threads!!!!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesnt make a blind bit of difference. If people are going to post shít they will, even if you post in huge letters, cos its been done in other forums. Sadly, some people are just morons and wont follow simple rules no matter what is tried.

free for all convo eh, in that case i want to be mod then, i weed out all the wasters in no time icon_wink.gif

also i noticed there are quite alot of locked threads on the first page couldnt most of these be deleted as it maybe give a newcommer the idea that the forum is full of clowns , and just leave a few of the worst topics sort of to serve as a type of this is not how to behave type of guide.

if any else has posted this(i just sort of quickly scanned the posts,trying to house organised for xmas icon_frown.gif) then i apologise for stealing your idea icon_biggrin.gif

Just to let you know, i am actually working on an FAQ at this current moment of time.

If you have any questions + Answers or just questions then please msg me on msn or email them to me.

Cheers.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Im not saying it shouldnt be done 36EE, but just dont expect it to stop the morons icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

dont get me wrong i hear what saying and agree but if we can stop just 1 its gotta be a good thing icon_wink.gif

I'm not sure if the rule will stay but as it is, naming and shaming is not allowed in this forum - as far as i'm concerned, that's correct. I do though, think that there should be a list of dedicated users, who would be recommended to the list by the founder of the clan that they're in or added by dogs. There would be no need for this list to be kept short (to just 3 or 4) as I know for a fact that there are many dedicated users. It would also help people starting new clans as, if an applicant is on the list, then they can be confident that the person will be dedicated whilst if the person isn't then the person choosing the players picks that applicant at his own risk.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Goldy:

Just to let you know, i am actually working on an FAQ at this current moment of time.

If you have any questions + Answers or just questions then please msg me on msn or email them to me.

Cheers.

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Goldy, have you got a 'How to start a clan' one (or something to that affect) as I'd be happy to type one up but don't want to bother if you've already done it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 36EE:

but if it stops 1 peacemaker its done its job. would be nice to have answers to some tech questions in this forum aswel, i.e ports for firewalls etc

instead of sending players to another forum????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do sort of agree with 36EE that tech questions concerning online play should be allowed in the forum, at the very least there should be a sticky or link at the top of the page that points to a troubleshooting guide for online games or a link that takes you directly to the tech support forum. Just closing threads because they are supposedly in the wrong forum and pointing them to a different part of the boards, is just bloody unhelpful.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by exchampionsfan:

posting in the wrong place is bloody unhelpful as well<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

but the point is, they are playing an online game and its pretty reasonable to look/post for help in the Official CM Online Forum

Id like to see SI creating an "Official SI League" once a year.

Each clan puts forward 1 member to represent them. The game is played over a short term (1 season at most) with evenly matched teams (SI could create a league of their own with random teams and players, and host from a server in SI towers).

This would help integrate a lot of the clans here, who tend to stick greatly to their own threads and not interact with others.

A nominal prize would be offered for the winner.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BelfastNiall:

Secondly - The biggest bug-bear for me has always been the amount of players who come on here, apply for clan games, turn up for a session or two and then disappear leaving you in the lurch. For example in my CM4 game, I had a player who turned up on night one as Man U, signed all the best youths including Rooney, and never showed his face again. This user was then in many threads afterwards regarding games. In my opinion, some form of warning or yellow card, or ideally a blacklist should be made available to discourage these people from behaving in such a manner. Obviously these people should only be blacklisted when A: There is a legitimate reason like above, B: The complainer or host has a reliable reputaton as a CM gamer. These people are the most irritating twats in CMO.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah there are people like this, but I don’t like yellows/reds, blacklist etc, they aren’t constructive in the slightest, are far too subjective and they give no way back for the user, as they would never get a chance to redeem themselves, as mud generally sticks. This will always happen and no amount of blacklist and cards will stop it. I mean the bloke you mentioned above might just have thought that he didn’t have anything in common with you on a non-cm level, or maybe he just thought you weren’t upto his standard icon_razz.gif, he should have had the decency to inform you of his decision regarding not playing anymore, thats a given, but what one person thinks is a legitimate reason for some form of punishment, another may not, it is just a big can of worms that once opened, ends up causing problems.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Carl McDean:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BelfastNiall:

Secondly - The biggest bug-bear for me has always been the amount of players who come on here, apply for clan games, turn up for a session or two and then disappear leaving you in the lurch. For example in my CM4 game, I had a player who turned up on night one as Man U, signed all the best youths including Rooney, and never showed his face again. This user was then in many threads afterwards regarding games. In my opinion, some form of warning or yellow card, or ideally a blacklist should be made available to discourage these people from behaving in such a manner. Obviously these people should only be blacklisted when A: There is a legitimate reason like above, B: The complainer or host has a reliable reputaton as a CM gamer. These people are the most irritating twats in CMO.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah there are people like this, but I don’t like yellows/reds, blacklist etc, they aren’t constructive in the slightest, are far too subjective and they give no way back for the user, as they would never get a chance to redeem themselves, as mud generally sticks. This will always happen and no amount of blacklist and cards will stop it. I mean the bloke you mentioned above might just have thought that he didn’t have anything in common with you on a non-cm level, or maybe he just thought you weren’t upto his standard icon_razz.gif, he should have had the deceny to inform you of his decision regarding not playing anymore, thats a given, but what one person thinks is a legitimate reason for some form of punishment, another may not, it is just a big can of worms that once opened, ends up causing problems.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree, however I would like a blacklist.

Lets call it Bahdad then s*ckers. icon_redface.gif

Archived