[FM16] Turning Northern Ireland On Its Head - A Youth Challenge

Black and Yellow

Wakehurst Logo.gif

A Wakehurst F.C Story

"Who the ******* hell are you!?" 

Wakehurst Squad Review: Part 4

In this section we're going to look at the central midfield options. We have quite a few here, but generally the CM partnership has been pretty consistent through my time in charge.

Jay Kelly [DM, M C]

Apps: 38 (7); Goals: 1

1. Jay Kelly.jpg

18 year old Jay Kelly joined us in our first intake, and has gone on to make over 40 appearances for the club. He has worked hard on his ability to play in CM, having arrived as just a DM. Good tackler, but I feel there is a lot of work to do to improve Jay. 

Ian Elliot [DM, M C]

Apps: 0; Goals: 0

2. Ian Elliot.jpg

Ian Elliot joined us after a couple of seasons. At 5'7", he is lacking height for my liking, but may work alongside a more combative midfielder. Fantastic team player and has a great work rate,  Ian does have some very positive attributes. Unfortunately, he is lacking both physically and technically. Yet to feature in the first team, but Ian is highly rated by the staff at the club.

George Young [M/AM C]

Apps: 81 (1); Goals: 7

3. George Young.jpg

Say hello to our Player of the Season for the last three years! George Young is a very, very short midfielder, standing at just 5'4" - but has been our most consistent performer. Fairly quick, with a great set of mental stats, George is our captain too. Technically not the greatest I've ever seen, but without doubt a huge player for us. 

Ryan Young [M C]

Apps: 89; Goals: 8

4. Ryan Young.jpg

Here is George's central midfield partner - the younger Young. Ryan actually started off as captain when I first took charge, but dropped to vice after a year to let his namesake take the armband. He is another midfielder who is quite short - with these two in the middle it sometimes isn't a surprise we get overrun - but has some excellent mental stats in his locker. Decent first touch, passing and technique help his cause, and he chips in with a couple of goals a season too. Imagine that the pair will be around for a number of years.

Andrew Laughlin [M C]

Apps: 45 (10); Goals: 1

5. Andrew Laughlin.jpg

Andrew has been at the club since long before I took charge, beginning his career here back in 2011. The 26 year old has made just under 50 appearances in my time as gaffer, including a handful off the bench. Last season he was fazed out, making just two appearances - ironically his only goal came in one of those! With the other options we have for the midfield choices, I don't think Andy will get that much game time these days. Quite handy to be kept as a reserve, however.

Paddy Curran [M C]

6. Paddy Curran.jpg

At 19, I feel that time is running out for Paddy to make an impression on me. His personality is poor, he is quite short, yet does not have the mental ability to back it up a la George Young. Physically lacking, but has some positive technicals - first touch, technique and passing are all at an average level. Could be the make or break year.

Hugh Patton [M C/DM]

7. Hugh Patton.jpg

Fresh from our previous intake, Hugh comes in with some great potential. A fairly decent physical skill set works well with someone his height. He is also very brave and a decent leader on the pitch. He has good passing, although his first touch and tackling would need work for a ball winning midfielder. All in, there is some potential there if we can harness it over the next two or three years.

Alan Junkin [M/AM C]

8. Alan Junkin.jpg

Another who is fresh from our 2018 intake, Alan is another who is highly rated by the staff at the club. He is a very brave midfielder, who can often get angry on the field. Good work rate, but technically there is work to do. Passing, first touch and technique are three areas where I demand improvement, while a tackling of 1 coupled with his bravery/aggression makes me think that there is going to be some sendings off here. His decision making may help him slightly there, however.

Neil McDaid [M/AM C]

Apps: 6 (4); Goals: 0

9. Neil McDaid.jpg

Neil is now 19 years old, so is coming up to crunch time. I do feel there is a player in here, but the progress has not been the greatest since he joined us a few years ago. Average is the word I'd use to describe his technical ability. Mentally he is better, and is a good team player, but then physically his lack of strength and stamina is a concern. He is currently seen as a decent NIFL 2 player by my staff, so I feel we are really coming to his make or break stage - the potential is there.

Marty Kennedy [M/AM C]

Apps: 5 (3); Goals: 0

10. Marty Kennedy.jpg

Marty joined us in the season before last, as part of our 2017 intake. Superb fitness levels, yet Marty is let down by his lack of strength. Technically he has some talent - there is his technique, first touch and passing that all sit at a decent level. He is quite determined and brings a decent work rate to the squad. I certainly feel there is a capable player here, he managed a handful of appearances in the second half of last season, averaging 6.77.

James Doherty [AM C]

11. James Doherty.jpg

James joined us 3 months ago, fresh from the 2018 intake. He has a good personality, some solid physical stats (although as expected, some could be improved). I must say I am a bit concerned with his technical ability - he has a decent first touch but doesn't bring much more to the table. Mentally, I feel a couple of years and there will be some good improvement there, turning some of those 8/9's into double figures and all of a sudden it's a different picture. My coaches believe in him, and he has the personality to forge a career for himself.

------

Next up; Squad Review Part 5 - Wingers.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wakehurst Logo.gif

A Wakehurst F.C Story

Wakehurst Squad Review: Part Five

Wingers, wingers, wingers. We kick off with the best one in the whole club...;

Conor Ross [M/AM R]

Apps: 85 (1); Goals: 28

3. Conor Ross.jpg

Conor has been absolutely superb in the three seasons I've been here. A lot better than his technical stats show. His dribbling and finishing is awful, but he has still managed to find the net at a good average. He has averaged over 7.2 over the 65 league matches he's been in, which is excellent going. At just 24, I see him being a key player for the future too.

Brian Doherty [M R/L]

Apps: 15 (2); Goals: 0

4. Brian Doherty.jpg

Brian has some decent potential. He has good work rate, a decent set of physicals and good dribbling ability. His crossing leaves a bit to be desired, but he has had some game time - albeit a lot of those 17 appearances have been on the left as Ross has been on the right. Generally been seen as a back up, but could well make the left side his own in the near future.

Danny Gallagher [M/AM R]

5. Danny Gallacher.jpg

Danny brings excellent work rate, teamwork and determination to the side. He is of a decent personality too, yet not so keen on the PPM when you look at his technical attributes (and his vision). Seems to be quite physical for his age, yet has yet to push in and appear in the first team.

Ryan Doherty [M/AM R]

6. Ryan Doherty.jpg

Ryan has yet to appear, being behind Conor and his namesake Brian. Quick winger though, which may be good as we don't have many of those as yet. Good work rate, determination and flair too. I think Ryan has some decent potential.

Stephen Wallace [M L]

7. Stephen Wallace.jpg

Stephen has yet to appear for us. Another with decent pace and teamwork, but lacking in the technical department. His lack of stamina and strength don't seem too positive either.

David Bell [M L]

8. David Bell.jpg

David came to the club two years ago, and has yet to feature for the first team. He is probably our lowest ranked left midfielder in terms of current ability, and probably potential too. Technically very lacking, but I quite like that PPM.

Paul Bell [M L]

9. Paul Bell.jpg

Okay, maybe I got confused between the two Bell's. This one has slightly better current ability, if the stars are to be believed, but is worse off in potential. Being honest, I don't see much of a future for either Paul or David here.

Jonathan Doyle [AM RC]

10. Jonathan Doyle.jpg

Jonathan is another who recently joined. Good physical stats (if you excuse that horrendous strength - do they not have gyms in NI?) but his average of 3 for mental and physical stats is a concern. Good leadership skills, though.

Rory Todd

11. Rory Todd.jpg

Rory joined us last season, and I am quite impressed with what I see. Okay, okay, his technical ability is very limited - his first touch, crossing and dribbling are a good way ahead of everything else. He has a well rounded physical background, with all of them having the potential to get into double figures. Great determination, followed up with good work rate, leadership and teamwork. Could be a player in there, I think.

Ryan Kelly [AM L/WB L]

Apps: 16 (2); Goals: 1

12. Ryan Kelly.jpg

Ryan has had some experience of NIFL 2 football, having made 16 starts last season, albeit 3 of those in cup matches. He is very much a flair player, and can be exciting on his day. However, his technical ability is generally lacking, and due to his inability to cross and dribble, he found himself playing more as a wingback than a winger. Still, there is some potential there too but it'll need some work.

Simon Collins [AM RL]

Apps: 4; Goals: 0

13. Simon Collins.jpg

Simon joined in 2017 and has 4 appearances under his belt for us. At 5'8" he is not the biggest, and this is shown by his lack of strength. Good work rate and determined to do well for the club, but it will take some work on his passing, first touch and crossing before we see a major contender, I think.

Liam Kelly [AM L]

14. Liam Kelly.jpg

Not gonna lie, I feel this could be our future left winger right here. Those physicals are excellent for 16 years old, he can dribble reasonably well, too. Clearly there is work to do - his strength is weak for his height, and he has a poor work rate and concentration, but I really hope we can unlock this lads potential.

---------

Next will see the end of the squad review as we look at my options in the striking department..

Wakehurst Logo.gif

A Wakehurst F.C Story

Squad Review Part 6

The final part of the squad review looks at the striking options at the club. We have a lot..too many, infact;

Conor Gregg [ST C]

Apps: 22 (7); Goals: 8

1. Conor Gregg.jpg

The most experienced player at the club..Conor Gregg. He has been at Wakehurst since 2005, and had a testimonial three years ago. He is seen as a reserve player now, and no more, really. His experience is handy to have around, and if I was paying weekly wages then he probably would have gone by now, but as it's all non-contract, it's worth keeping him until he retires.

Jordon Foster [ST C]

Apps: 50 (16); Goals: 31

2. Jordon Foster.jpg

Jordon was our best player in the first season as he hit 26 goals in all competitions. Unfortunately, injuries have caught up as he missed close to half of the last two seasons, and has really struggled to find the net on a regular basis, scoring just 5 times in two years. This season may see a return to the formation that brought so much success, so Foster has a chance to get his goalscoring form back.

Eamonn Cassidy [ST C]

Apps: 28 (16); Goals: 11

3. Eamonn Cassidy.jpg

Eamonn was one of our first intake, and has gone on to come close to 50 appearances for the club. He started off as a fringe, but became our first choice striker last season, starting 20 matches. He found the net 10 times last season, so hopefully that can be improved this season.

Niall Stewart [ST C]

4. Niall Stewart.jpg

No appearances, and needs to make an impression on me soon to push into the first team. A good finisher, and a good team player, but he is lacking in other key technical areas - first touch, passing, technique to name a few. At 5'9", I do not envisage him ever being a target man, which is a concern with that PPM.

Stuart Crawford [ST C, AM C]

Apps: 0 (2); Goals: 0

5. Stuart Crawford.jpg

Stuart has done nothing major to catch my eye, to be honest. He is highly rated by my staff, and so I gave him a couple of appearances off the bench, but nothing more. He still has a couple of years, but I am not so confident with a player with his personality.

Neil Brown [ST C]

Apps: 22 (2); Goals: 7

6. Neil Brown.jpg

Neil has been a solid addition to the club. In his first full season he has played over 20 games, scoring 7 times. A monster target man, coming in at 6'7" and 14 stone, I feel he should develop those physical stats quite well. A good finisher but lacking in first touch, passing and technique. His concentration is also poor. Work to do, but I feel there is a player in there.

Michael Armstrong [ST C]

7. Michael Armstrong.jpg

Michael came through a couple of years ago, but has yet to feature. He has improved while he's been here, but his overall potential seems him near the bottom of the pecking order for now. 

Neil Neill [ST C]

8. Neil Neill.jpg

Neil only recently joined us, but has the best name in the club. Solid current ability, and good potential. A good height, and not a bad finisher too. I feel there could be some potential here.

Ryan Boyle [ST C]

9. Ryan Boyle.jpg

Decent set of physicals for Ryan Boyle, and he ties that together with some flair and high teamwork ability. He is a decent dribbler of the ball, and a good finisher. Concentration is a huge concern for me, and considering his height, his heading is pretty poor. Work to do, but some decent potential here.

Paddy Jones

10. Paddy Jones.jpg

Paddy is another with potential to play in our league or above. He is determined, is professional in his personality and can finish fairly well. Good technique, good first touch and some decent composure. If we can see some of those stats begin to get towards double figures then I think Paddy will go on to have a decent career. 

-----

Annnnnnd, we're done! Back to normal updates now! Will look to aim for another squad review in 3 years, if I still have a job by then :rolleyes:

Wakehurst Logo.gif

A Wakehurst F.C Story

Betting Odds.jpg

The bookies really don't see us improving at all. We've been predicted an 11th place finish every year - but I'm hopeful of finally moving out of the bottom half this season!

100 Games.jpg

And then just a few games in, we hit this milestone. Look how happy he looks! 

Finally able to read through your detailed squad overview. For what it's worth... my opinions…

GK: Barry Toland (Mark Maybin)

> A choice for the future and already mentioned

DR: Richard O'Kane (none)

DL: Warner Curry (none)

> 2 weak area's in the team. Maybe a choice for a formation without full backs is an option in some games (see further)?

DCR: Colin McColgan (Bobby Mitchell)

DCL: Ryan Curry (Mark Scott)

> I like both your left footed central defenders Curry and Scott. I think it gives options to play with 3 at the back. But not if one of 1 of the 3 (McColgan, Curry, Scott) is injured. Maybe change tactics and play with a 4 at the back formation in that case?

MR: Conor Ross (Ryan Doherty)

ML: Stephen Wallace (Liam Kelly)

> I think these positions are best filled in your squad. More then decent choices. Liam Kelly absolutely is one for the future on the left! Ryan Doherty is the best back-up for Ross, who is important to the team

DMC: Ryan Young (Hugh Patton)

AMC: George Young (Marty Kennedy)

> The Young brothers are crucial in your team, anyone can see that. With Andrew Laughlin you have a general back-up. From the younger players Patton and Kennedy would get chances from me. But for Patton it's important to tutor him asap by one of the 3 older players.

SC: Neil Neill (Conor Gregg)

SC: Eamonn Cassidy (Ryan Boyle)

> I really like the look of Neil Neill. I would let him take over the Gregg spot for 1 of the 2 striker position and combine them with Cassidy, who looks more than decent.

I really like your career updates. Gives me extra info to play the game and I insert some of your ideas in my new save as well.

Keep up the good work!

Wakehurst Logo.gif

A Wakehurst F.C Story

This isn't really an update, but this season has been (so far) the biggest car crash yet. All will be revealed at the half way update, but we've just played against Knockbreda in the League Cup 3rd Round, at home. We're really struggling, on the worst run of form in, well, ever, while Knockbreda are sat 2nd in the division above. No brainer, right?

League Cup vs Knockbreda.jpg

I do genuinely think that is one of the best results I've had in my time at the club, considering the circumstances. Desperately hoping it isn't a flash in the pan.

I know - very unexpected after our recent run of form. As I say, desperate for this to be a turning point. The last 8 of the League Cup is impressive for us, imagine it'll stop in the next round as we'll probably get Linfield or Cliftonville but you never know! And thanks. I feel I've been too nice - should we survive again this year I think there'll be a bit of a clear out. I haven't been updating our transfers but that may become a new part of the annual update.

Somehow glanced over this thread numerous times, glad I finally clicked!

Everything you're doing is top quality, especially the squad breakdown. It's a great idea every five years.

Hopefully you keep plowing through these (short, luckily!) seasons as is necessary with this type of save. 

I agree that Liam Kelly could be a big player at this level on his athletic ability alone, it's too bad he's almost useless at everything else.

Wakehurst Logo.gif

A Wakehurst F.C Story

NIFL 2

We have just reached the half way point of the league season, and my golly it's been an adventure so far. Not the fun kind, either.

League Table halfway.jpg

Doesn't look too good, does it? After 10 games it looked a damn sight worse, as we recorded our win in match 11, absolutely obliterating Annagh United 4-0 at home. We were 2-0 up inside 3 minutes, had another by 17 minutes, then one disallowed on 25. We added a 4th early in the second half and to be honest, it could have been 7 or 8 - which makes our previous 10 matches even more frustrating. The campaign started with back to back draws, against Newry and H & W Welders, before we lost  lots in a row, and heavily. Prior to the Annagh hammering, we had lost 3-0 at Dollingstown and 4-3 at Banbridge in what was nearly the best comeback of this career as we were 4-0 down inside 35 minutes. Alas, it didn't quite happen.

As you can see, it's far from perfect, but I hope our recent performances show that we're actually beginning to fight rather than constantly roll over. I envisage we'll need 4/5 wins from 11.

Transfer Update

Transfers out Nov 18.jpg

I don't know if this has really had much of an impact, but I'd like to think it has. Starting from the beginning, Stephen Wallace left for Crumlin Utd. This slipped under the radar to be honest, one of the few times I didn't offer a new deal, and off he went. The latter two were entirely my doing, however. First, Gregg started moaning about game time. I pointed to the fact he had not scored in months, and, at 34, his legs struggled to work. He disagreed, kicked up a fuss, so I said cheerio. The Maybin situation is fairly similar, if I'm honest. Since doing the squad review, I have not played Marc as much. I was sick of seeing "Maybin clutches the ball to his chest....GOAL FOR _____!!!!!" and after he let 3 in in his only league match this campaign, figured enough was enough. He came in, in a similar way to Conor, demanding more playing time. Granted, putting Barry Toland in net hadn't really had a large impact on the number of goals we were conceding, but at least with Barry I have the excuse of his inexperience. Marc moaned, caused a stir in the dressing room. 18 players requested a meeting, saying they were unhappy - I stood my ground, and said au revoir to Marc. 

Slight concern that we have very little experience now, but it wasn't exactly doing well for us anyway, was it?

Wakehurst Logo.gif

A Wakehurst F.C Story

Again, this isn't really an update of sorts, but I wanted to post this. Things are looking up for us. Firstly, the board injected some money to boost the coffers;

Cash injection.jpg

The fact this was our first injection for 18 months+ is positive and shows that we're operating at a sensible level. 

And then there's this match, at home against the league leaders. We are really starting to fight now, and came out on top in what was a highly memorable affair;

Wakehurst 4-3 Dergview.jpg

1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 2-2, 3-2, 4-2, 4-3. Crazy match, but absolutely chuffed to win that. We're really showing that we're up for this battle now!

Seven tense matches to go.

Wakehurst Logo.gif

A Wakehurst F.C Story

New contract.jpg

Positive - I hoped that the Knockbreda result was a turning point and it looks like it was!

Youth Intake

Youth Intake.jpg

Despite the star ratings here, I'm not very impressed. I don't know if my standards have got higher but there wasn't anything in here that really impressed or excited me. I also forgot screenshots of any higher potential players, so apologies.

Euro 2020 Qualifying

This tournament presents our next opportunity to play in a national tournament. We have a decent group, though it'll be tough to get out of.

Austria 2-0 NI.jpg

We kicked off in Austria, and were two goals down inside 15 minutes. Austria were extremely comfortably, and we didn't even manage a shot at their goal. Tough night for the team.

NI 2-0 Hungary.jpg

Three days later, we had a chance to rectify that, and Windsor Park was full to see the side turn it on against Hungary. An early goal, followed by another just before the interval saw the team get off the mark for this qualifying campaign.

Wakehurst Logo.gif

A Wakehurst F.C Story

2018/19 Season Review

Well, what a ridiculous season this was. I can't recall being involved in a season as strange as this one, but I'm definitely happy with how it's gone. If only we'd found our rhythm a bit earlier, we'd be laughing.

NIFL 2

Final League Table.jpg

Our highest finish yet, and (I think?) our highest points tally in my management. Considering our position at the halfway point (12th, W1 D3 L7), taking 30 points from a possible 36 and going 12 unbeaten was just absolutely superb. It looks like we have a settled tactic that successfully works in the league now, and the players are getting more and more experienced. I really hope this is a platform to build on next year, and we can push on for the top two.

League Campaign.jpg

From that, it looks clear that the turning point was that match against Annagh United. However, I feel our actual turning point came a few weeks before, in the Cup match where we tonked Knockbreda 3-0. Granted, that was followed by two more league defeats, at Dollingstown and Banbridge, but the performance (especially against Banbridge) was a much improved one, and we then took that on for the second half of the campaign. To back it up by going to Newry, sat in 2nd, and snatch a 2-1 win in the 88th minute was class. Then, the most important win of the lot. Queens Uni away. 11th v 12th. If we lost, we'd have been back to 7 points adrift. We went 1-0 down at half time, but managed to score twice in the final 16 minutes to turn it on its head. Fantastic result, soon followed up by that win over league winners Dergview. A truly fantastic 2019 so far as we remain unbeaten in the calendar year - I really hope for an unbeaten start to stretch this run further!

Cups

Cup Results.jpg

We were involved in the County Antrim Cup for the first time, and decided we didn't want much to do with it. A tough draw against one of the more historic N. Irish clubs. In the Steel & Sons, we got through one round before getting edged out by Cliftonville Olympic. The League Cup was our best run, as we reached the last eight before bowing out to eventual winners Crusaders. A shortish run in the Intermediate Cup saw us win two rounds before exiting against Dundela, while the Irish Cup was a dull defeat to NIFL 1 opposition. 

It would be nice to win something next season, but if it's a choice between a cup or the league then it's a no brainer. 

Awards

End of Season awards.jpg

George Young dominates the POTY for the fourth year in a row. Conor Ross comes in in second, while Eamonn Cassidy gets third place. Ryan Young is the man to miss out, as injury and poor form meant that Young did not feature as much as he'd have liked. Still managed Goal of the Season, though.

Season Review.jpg

Look at that position graph!!

2019/20 Aims

* Build on our fourth place finish

* Beat this season's points tally.

* Have a decent Irish Cup run.

Thanks lads. I am hopeful we can pick up where we've left off - if we can get a decent start and nail 20 points in the first half of the season, promotion would definitely be possible. I don't envisage losing any key players, so I have reasons to be confident of a successful season!

Wakehurst Logo.gif

A Wakehurst F.C Story

Euro 2020 Qualifying

Cyprus 1-2 NI.jpg

We made it 6 points from our opening 3 matches in Cyprus. Stuart Dallas and Liam Boyce were the scorers in the first half. The hosts responded immediately but we held on to take the points. A solid start!

NI 1-0 Russia.jpg

And this result tops the lot so far! Russia were top of the group, but we've ended their 100% record with a narrow win. Billy McKay the scorer, and it was another great night at Windsor Park as we made it 3 wins from 4.

Wakehurst Logo.gif

A Wakehurst F.C Story

Miscellaneous News

Initial Budget Season 5.jpg

Our budget has gone from around £1,300 per week down to £550. Doesn't make much difference as we're only spending around £300, but still a sign of the club's financial situation.

TV Deal 2.jpg

This has gone up - infact it's £400 up on the previous amount.

Michael Kirk leaves.jpg

Quite sad about this - but my old pal Michael has decided to leave at the end of his contract. He's been here for four years, done some badges, and now gone off to Annagh Utd. It'll be nice beating them next season.

Logan New Ass Man.jpg

Simon has moved up from a coach to replace Michael. Much better man management, which was an area Michael really lacked in. Hoping this has a positive impact.

Betting Odds.jpg

Our lowest odds ever, I think. But still, we're forecast to finish 10th, despite last season's finish. The board are once again hoping for survival - which means there's no real pressure on me, unless we have an awful start like last time out!

Wakehurst Logo.gif

A Wakehurst F.C Story

Record Breaking Wakehurst

Unbeaten Run.jpg

:D

Unbeaten Record.jpg

:brock:

Euro 2020 Qualifying

Luxembourg 0-3 NI.jpg

Comfortable victory puts us at 12 points from 15. Helped by that early dismissal.

NI 3-1 Austria.jpg

Revenge for the defeat in Vienna. We were once again comfortable here. 15/18, what an excellent showing!

Hungary 0-0 NI.jpg

Just edged out the Hungarians, but couldn't find that elusive goal. Keeps us in the hunt though!

NI 1-0 Cyprus.jpg

An early goal saw us sneak past Cyprus at Windsor Park. This result was great for this reason...

Euro 2020 Qualified.jpg

We're going to...EUROPE! :rolleyes:

Wakehurst Logo.gif

A Wakehurst F.C Story

NIFL 2

WOOOOAHHHH, WE'RE HALF WAY THEREEEEEE...:eek:

League Table halfway.jpg

As @deltablue predicted, our unbeaten 12 match run at the end of last season has continued, and we're currently still unbeaten in the league. No league defeats for over a calendar year. Madness. Portstewart look like they're going to push us all the way, and I'm wary of Donegal Celtic too. The only one of the top 6 that we've managed to beat is Annagh Utd, the rest we drew against. Would like to think 6 more wins would see us through, but even then that may not be enough.

Steel & Sons Cup Final.jpg

We've also reached this cup final again. In my first season here, we managed this feat, before going out against Dundela in extra time. Sport & Leisure are our opponents this time - they have not been in the NIFL since relegation back in 2016. On current form, it has to be us, but..well, it is us, after all. 

Euro 2020 Qualifying

As from the last update, we've secured our place at the Finals. We managed it with two games to go, though:

Russia 2-1 NI.jpg

And a good job too, otherwise this result would have caused some panic! Russia led early on, Will Grigg pegged them back before a winner with quarter of an hour remaining. 

NI 2-2 Luxembourg.jpg

A dominant N. Irish performance against the minnows, but Luxembourg scored the first and last goals in a 2-2 draw. That would have been a kick in the teeth if we hadn't already sorted ourselves out for next summer!

Euros Qualifying Group.jpg

Russia dropped just 5 points, 3 of them at Windsor Park. They finished well clear of the rest, with the win over us securing top spot. We took 20 points from a possible 30 though, finishing well clear of Hungary and Austria. Cyprus finished bottom of the pile - a miserable qualification process for them!

Wakehurst Logo.gif

A Wakehurst F.C Story

Steel & Sons Cup Final

S&S Cup Final Preview.jpg

Easy win, huh? With the form we're in, we have to confident of getting some silverware here. Is this our time?

Second ever S&S Cup Final.jpg

A quick trip down memory lane - of course, our first appearance in this final was in 2015/16, losing 3-2 to Dundela after extra time. Hoping for better this time!

Wakehurst's Run to the Final

Wakehurst Run to Final.jpg

A narrow win at Hanover started us off, before we battered Coagh Utd. Holywood fell the same way as Coagh, before Malachians were dispatched. In the semis, it was Linfield's reserves in our way, and we edged them out to get here.

Sport & Leisure's Run to the Final

Sport & Leisure Run to Final.jpg

Goals, Goals, Goals! A narrow win in Round 2, but it's been comfortable since. Easily beat Immaculate and Ards, before my feeder club Newtowne were destroyed in the last 8. Ballymoney Utd were well beaten in the semi finals. A lot of goals from the non-league side.

---

Let us go one further than 2016!!!

Wakehurst Logo.gif

A Wakehurst F.C Story

Well, lets start with the biggest news, shall we?

Winners NIFL2.jpg

:brock: 

Absolutely delighted! Huge achievement! More on this at the end of the season. :D

Board Delight.jpg

Praise from Captain.jpg

Captain Fantastic with the praise.

Initial Budgets Season 6.jpg

Our highest budget in the time I've been there.

New contract.jpg

A new two-year deal too. Bit of a pay cut, but it meant two year security, which is what I wanted.

Tycoon bounty?.jpg

Holy moly, they aren't messing!? This would be a rather large problem as I'd imagine they'll go professional, and then whiz up through the divisions. Hope it doesn't come off..

Euro 2020 Group.jpg

N. Ireland's reward for getting to Euro 2020 is a tough group. England will be a tough match. Norway and Russia won't be easy either.

Wakehurst Logo.gif

A Wakehurst F.C Story

2019/20 Season Review

Well then, another season flies by, and..well, it couldn't have gone a lot better!

Final League Table.jpg

Our form slightly dropped in the second half of the campaign, but we did enough to hold on to first spot. With 5 games remaining, both ourselves and Larne were still unbeaten, with just two points in it. Larne choked in the run in, picking up 2 points from 15, and dropping down to 4th. We secured promotion with a game to spare, drawing at home against Portstewart. Annagh Utd stole into second place on the final day, and have joined me in NIFL 1. 

League Fixtures.jpg

Super season. Consistency was key, as we ended up going over 30 matches unbeaten, smashing the record in the process. Our only defeat came away at struggling Dollingstown, which was the only blip on an awesome league campaign. Delighted with our progress - and interested to see what next year brings!

Cup Results

Cup Results.jpg

A more successful season in the cups, too. The League Cup brought our first defeat as we lost to Loughgall in Round 2, courtesy of an early own goal. The Steel & Sons Cup run has already been discussed, and it was disappointing to reach the Final and lose again. We failed miserably in the Intermediate Cup, losing in extra time at Portstewart, while our Irish Cup run was ended in the fifth round as Cliftonville destroyed us. No surprise, though.

Record high finish.jpg

This is pleasing stuff - also means that no matter where we finish next season we'll break that record again. Obviously hoping for survival though!

Awards

End of Year Awards.jpg

George Young once again dominates the vote, with 75% of the fans voting for the captain. Eamonn Cassidy comes in narrowly ahead of Conor Ross. Cassidy wins YPOTY, while Jordon Foster collects goal of the season for his goal against Coagh Utd in the Steel & Sons Cup.

Season Review.jpg

Once we hit top spot, it was ours. Delightful campaign.

Tycoon off?.jpg

I really, really hope this doesn't go through. It's going to be hard enough getting to the top as it is - if there's a tycoon club below us then that'll provide an even bigger headache, as we'll have to race them to the top.

Lets hope not!

Wakehurst Logo.gif

A Wakehurst F.C Story

Club News

Sponsorship Deals.jpg

I think this is identical to last time, which is a bit of shame. 

National A Complete.jpg

That's positive news!

Continental C Licence.jpg

And straight away the board allowed me to go onto my next badge. Happy with that.

U18's League Invite.jpg

Very pleased with this. For the last two years I've been organising (initially I was, anyway - delegated it to my assistant once I realised it was pain!) friendlies each week for both the reserves and U18's, just to ensure reasonable fitness levels. The fact that the youth will have competitive football now is excellent.

TV Deal.jpg

This has gone up by just under 50%, so that's ideal. Not that it'll change a huge amount!

Wakehurst Logo.gif

A Wakehurst F.C Story

Euro 2020

So, Northern Ireland made their second ever European Championships appearance, following on from 2016. The tournament four years ago was poor, with 3 losses and a bottom of the group finish. Will they improve on that this time? Norway, Russia and England stand in their way..

Group F Match 1:

Northern Ireland vs Norway

Stadio Olimpico (Italy)

NI 0-2 Norway.jpg

Norway ran out comfortable winners in a relatively close encounter in Rome. The Norwegians struck twice in the final seven minutes of the first half. Firstly Hávard Nielsen found the net before Markus Henriksen added a second right on half time. Not the start that Michael O'Neill's side wanted, in perhaps their easiest fixture.

Group F Match 2: 

England vs Northern Ireland

Stadio Olimpico (Italy)

England 1-0 NI.jpg

A second consecutive match for NI in Rome, and the same outcome. It was a narrow win for England, with a Harry Kane goal on 26 minutes separating the side. The stats painted a positive picture for England, who could have had more than one. This result leaves N. Ireland with a must win encounter with the Russians in their final match.

Group F Match 3:

Northern Ireland vs Russia

San Mames (Spain)

NI 1-2 Russia.jpg

The final group match saw N. Ireland walk out at Athletic Bilbao's San Mames stadium. A new country, a change in fortunes? Far from. Ireland were terrible, allowing Russia a number of chances at goal. It took just six minutes for the Russians to lead, but Rory Donnelly pegged them back instantly. It remained a deadlock until the 76th minute, where Denis Glushakov bagged the winner.

NI Knocked out.jpg

Three defeats, equalling last times effort. Hardly progress.

NI record.jpg

This is an embarrassing record to hold!

Group Stage Review

Euro 2020 Groups ABC.jpg

Group A saw Belgium rack up 3 wins from 3, comfortably topping the group. Switzerland followed in second place, while Bosnia & Herzegovina also qualified with a third place finish. Scotland had a miserable tournament, losing every match.

In Group B, Italy topped the group, and were followed by Wales in second and Austria in third. Czech Republic picked up a single point, and they exit the tournament.

Group C saw Germany dominate, with Holland joining them after an average showing. Turkey and Greece failed to cause an upset, and they both leave.

Euro 2020 Groups DEF.jpg

France and Denmark had a close run fight for top spot in Group D, but the French just edged their rivals out, with 7 points taken. Portugal had a miserable tournament, with two draws and a defeat meaning they exit, with Serbia.

In Group E, Spain joined the 100% club, while Croatia and Sweden join them in the last 16. Belarus finished with no wins, no draws, no points and no goals scored. Not a good showing there.

Finally, Group F saw Norway top the group on 7 points, ahead of England who finished on 5. Russia also qualified after that final match win over N. Ireland.

It's a Knockout

This is always the fun part...

Euros Knockouts.jpg

The Second Round saw a mixture of comfortable progressions and tight squeezes. Holland, Italy, Croatia and Germany sealed their final 8 spots with wins over Switzerland, Bosnia, Norway and Russia respectively. France sneaked past Austria by a single goal. Spain needed a penalty shootout to get by against Denmark, while Sweden dumped out the Belgians after extra time. In the biggest upset of the round, Wales beat England by a single goal to progress to the final 8. That spelt the end for the reigning Champions.

Into the quarters, France comfortably dispatched of Holland, while Italy edged past Croatia. Germany vs Spain provided the main focus of the round, and the Germans squeezed through by a sole goal. Finally, Wales turned on the style and tore Sweden a new one, winning 3-0. 

The last four then, and what drama! Firstly, France had too much for the Italians, winning 4-2 in a classic semi final. In the other tie was the shock of the tournament, as Wales nicked past Germany and into their first European Final. Mad scenes!

France vs Wales provided a tense, nervous game, but the game went as many expected, with France winning out. They needed an extra half hour to break the Welsh down, and it is Wales who come out of this tournament with their heads held highest. For France, it ends a 20-year spell without this trophy.

France win Euros.jpg

And finally..

O'Neill leaves NI.jpg

Can't say I am surprised. If I had managed to get Wakehurst in to the Danske Bank Premiership I may have applied, but it's a bit too soon!

Wakehurst Logo.gif

A Wakehurst F.C Story

Brendan Rodgers NI Boss.jpg

Brendan Rodgers is the new boss of the country. Good job I didn't apply to be honest. :D

Betting Odds.jpg

From our lowest odds ever to our highest odds ever in a 12 month period? The bookies aren't sure on the top end of the league, but they clearly believe bottom spot is already sealed. Lets prove them wrong!!

Excellent progression @Black and Yellow; Don't mind the odds. With a youth only challenge you're always predicted in a low position when going up.

Is there one of the young intake players who has made incredible progression during your time at the club and stands out at the moment?

Thanks lads! :rolleyes:

And @Schiavone, there's a couple who have made strides towards their potential which is nice, but I wouldn't call it incredible progression - if anything they generally seem to actually deteriorate once they hit 25, which is alarming. I fear it's down to the level of football we're playing at, yet at the same time, we can't progress as other key areas in the squad are lacking!

Wakehurst Logo.gif

A Wakehurst F.C Story

Season Ticket Sales.jpg

A bit late as this is the halfway update, but great to see the loyal 30 are sticking with us - this hasn't risen in the five years I've been here. They deserve medals.

Halfway Stage

League Halfway point.jpg

Errm, what? I was not expecting this! Yes, we've played a few of these sides in the NIFL 2 before, and some others in cups, but over a league season, I was not expecting to be flying like this! We kicked off with a trip to Distillery, and beat them 3-1 (this opening day victory is the only win we've had on the road). There is a drastic difference between our form at Mill Meadow and our form elsewhere, with 15 of our 21 points coming at home. However, we're winning a lot more than we're losing, and that's usually a recipe for a good season!

There is a slight difference to this league compared to NIFL 2 - once we hit 22 matches (playing each team twice), rather than the season ending there, the league splits into two, and there is a further five matches to determine the winners and losers. 

While we're not exactly running away with it, I'd be quite disappointed if we don't finish in the top group from our position here. If we can do that, and stay in contention for the top 3 places, then that'll be the five biggest matches in our history. 

Limavady United Watch

The millionaire owners spent little time making improvements as both youth and training facilities were developed, at the cost of a few million pounds. 

They are currently sat in 3rd place in NIFL 2, with only goal difference separating the top 4 teams in that league after 8 games played.

Wakehurst Logo.gif

A Wakehurst F.C Story

Continental C Complete.jpg

I've taken and passed my Continental C licence - just two more steps to go!

WC 2024 Qualifying Group.jpg

Meanwhile, Brendan Rodger's has a tough old group to get out of for the 2022 World Cup in Argentina. In fact, with both Portugal and Croatia, I'd say there is very little chance of qualifying!

Board Cash Injection.jpg

Our biggest ever cash injection, at £35,000. Tops the coffers up nicely.

Youth Intake

Youth Intake.jpg

Hmm, doesn't look too good or too bad, really. I've highlighted Eamon Taylor as I think he has potential.

Eamon Taylor.jpg

Not a bad set of physicals to start off with, a workable personality and a good height. Not a bad starting point for the three key technicals required at CB. Feel there is a player in there!

Wakehurst Logo.gif

A Wakehurst F.C Story

NIFL 1

Here we are then, at the end of the first stage. 22 matches played, did we manage to keep up our pace?

League Table Before Split.jpg

Oh my gawwwwwd, we did! Institute dropped out of the top 6 on the final day too. 3 points clear, with the five biggest matches in this club's history now. Five cup finals ahead of us. I think 9/15 will do it, especially if we can take points from Lurgan Celtic and Dergview. 

NIFL1 Stage 1 Review.jpg

So, incase you were unaware, we will no longer play anyone in the bottom half. 

Fixtures after Split.jpg

AH, crap. I said at halfway about our home and away form being a huge difference. Well, 28 from our 39 have been at home, with just 11 coming on the road. With that in mind, I'd be hopeful of winning both our matches at Mill Meadow, then praying for a win on the road (if it comes at Lurgan Celtic then even better!). Here are our results in these five fixtures already this campaign;

Wakehurst 1 - 1 Loughgall

Lurgan Celtic 3 - 2 Wakehurst

Ballymena United 1 - 1 Wakehurst

Bangor 1 - 1 Wakehurst

Wakehurst 1 - 0 Dergview

We're going to need to do better than that, I think.

Wakehurst Logo.gif

A Wakehurst F.C Story

Matchday 23:

Our first game since the split saw 5th place Loughgall come to fortress Mill Meadow. Could we continue our home form?

Wakehurst 1-0 Loughgall.jpg

Yes, we could! Youngster Liam Kelly bagged the only goal midway through the first half. 

Other Results:

Ballymena (6th) 2 - 2 Lurgan Celtic (2nd)

Dergview (3rd) 1 - 2 Bangor (4th)

Bangor leapfrog Dergview and join Lurgan Celtic on 37 points, but Celtic have a far superior GD to Bangor. Our win sees us move five points clear of the pack. 2nd v 1st is our next fixture as we go to Lurgan Celtic. Keep our five point lead in tact and I'll be happy!

Northern Ireland

NI 0-3 Portugal.jpg

Terrible start for our WC campaign.

Wakehurst Logo.gif

A Wakehurst F.C Story

Matchday 24: Lurgan Celtic vs Wakehurst

--

Just three days passed since our win over Loughgall, and we're away to one of our nearest challengers. Lurgan edged us out in the initial league fixture at their place, by a single goal in five. Revenge here would be bloody marvellous..

Lurgan Celtic 0-1 Wakehurst.jpg

Huge. And I am delighted that Captain Fantastic got the goal too. The hosts had more chances at goal, but we made ours count. Fantastic result, we're nearly there!

Other results:

Bangor (3rd) 0 - 0 Ballymena (5th)

Loughgall (6th) 1 - 2 Dergview (2nd)

A great win for Dergview sees them rise from 4th to 2nd spot, but more importantly, with Bangor failing to win, we are now 6 points clear, with 9 to play for. 

We are tantalisingly close to the Premier League!!

Archived