What striker role works best with a Target Man?

Something I've never quite figured out. I've tried Target Man (s) with a poacher and that didn't work at all. Target Man (s) with Advanced Forward has varying degrees of success. One I've not tried is Target Man (a) with a Defensive Forward (s). Has anyone tried that combination? Is it likely to work?

It's another question that needs more context - it entirely depends on the service received.

My bad, I typed it out in a rush before the end of my lunch break!

It's really a question regarding both extremes of play. If was playing short possession football, would target man support and advanced forward be better? If I was playing the long ball, would using a TM(a) and a DF (s) work? In theory, I would want the target man to be advanced and pushing the defence back and then flicking it down or laying it off to a little nippy striker who can feed off the scraps.

If you "want the target man to be advanced and pushing the defence back", that would suggest to me that you want an attack duty TM, not a support duty.

Which role for a second striker would compliment that? Pretty much anything, however you can't really look at strikers in isolation from the rest of your tactical set up. Who is feeding them? How are they being fed? Who and how is supporting the TM other than the second striker?

Everything needs to be balanced. For example, suppose you have a TM(A) + Poacher combo. They will both be very high up the pitch, so how are you going to get the ball to them, and who is running to provide additional support? You have to answer those questions before you can confidently say that a TM / Poacher combo would be good.

Alternatively, to use your own example, look at the TM(A) + DF(S) combo playing a long ball game. You get balls played into the TM, who probably will get the odd knock down for the DF to latch onto. But that's very one dimensional. Where are the long balls coming from? Who else is going to get forwards quickly to make up ground on the long ball played to be able to provide additional support? What about crosses?

'Beat the offside trap' PPM is awesome if used by a poacher type player. A supporting role with this PPM will be very counter producing.

I've read how the TM role attracts the ball too much and it destabilizes a short passing system. If this is really the case (I think it is from my humble analysis of the ME) then this role will probably be best suited for direct/long ball systems only.

Archived