[FM16] San Giovanni - A Sammarinese youth only challenge

Bedese

Yeah I'm doing not too badly, still trying to get by the 2nd qualifiers in the UCL, having the same trouble as you had with trying to get decent youth players through, still waiting for my sammarinese legend to come through, not holding my breath though . I'm really enjoying my save though, despite the slow progress, it's good to see san marino slowly rise in the football world!!

With you, Marios and me, we're going to make San Marino the best team in history :D

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

We're back in the CL.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Another cup win I don't care about.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Michele Ciacci (YP129) - 8.02

He was great, usually at CM but occasionally at RM or ST.

Top Goalscorer:

Paolo Buscarini (YP125) - 31

He only got this because Gatti missed a decent chunk of time, but Buscarini is excellent in his own right.

Manager's Player of the Year:

Matteo Gennari (YP123)

Superb at CM.

Aims for next season:

CL groups?

Other teams:

League Winners: :D

Cup Winners: :D

How the team in CL qualifying did: Folgore lost 4-1 to Hungarians Videoton in the Second Qualifying Round.

How the teams in Europa qualifying did: We lost 7-2 to Shakhtar in the First Knockout Round. Cosmos lost 6-2 to Hungarians MTK and La Florita lost 3-2 to Buducnost from Montenegro.

San Marino National team:

2107 Results -- 2108 Results

We lost every single game in our Euro Group, so I have no idea why we made it to the Playoffs...

4766a083d7d3cc7d232d1051b902ec86.png

I just checked out their team page and I'm sorry, but how does a tiny Semi-Pro team from Northern Ireland who have never made it to the Group Stage of any European Competition have a higher reputation than us?

2c8ba429bdc690ca16a941dcae58c742.png

I can't decide if he's the best keeper we've ever had, but he's definitely the one who saw the most success at the club. In 248 games, Casolino conceded just 113 goals, which is an insane ratio. He had 149 clean sheets to go along with that, meaning that he didn't concede in well over half his games. He never got a MOTM (but should have, multiple times in Europe) and got an average rating of 6.99 for his career.

4766a083d7d3cc7d232d1051b902ec86.png

I just checked out their team page and I'm sorry, but how does a tiny Semi-Pro team from Northern Ireland who have never made it to the Group Stage of any European Competition have a higher reputation than us?

Because they are playing in a domestic structure with a significantly higher reputation than yours?

We're seeded!

b6e1cbf3b41a90ad0bb01b91af82ee73.png

Yeah... that's not as easy as I'd have hoped. Plzen are only .200 away from us, and I've got no idea how Young Boys have fallen so much. The other three won't be a problem, but please don't give us one of the first two.

e2025a53e4bde3aa496da11a2b639e93.png

Phew.

bd5140b4e7354fda7acfefdde7721167.png

I'll hold my hands up - they out-tacticsed (is that a word?) me. They played a 4-1-2-2-1, and their DM was sitting there, breaking up play, recycling possession and overloading the midfield for them. By the time I realised we were already a couple of goals down, and so I didn't want to take off a striker to add another midfielder into play. We'll be back next year, but it's the Europa Groups for now.

b53aa20fb8c80b0f5256810b036813d3.png

It's just not our tournament. We were the better team, but we're on the end of a 4-1 defeat. It happens in football, but I'm not happy that we've let this happen to us constantly throughout the groups, because it's going to hurt our coefficient. I doubt we're seeded in the Third Round Qualifiers of the CL next year.

66ed30f642e4a6fa71e45e99e4d05a0d.png

Have we peaked? The Shakhtar result was fantastic, but our CL campaign this year was poor (Red Star were superb against us but they usually aren't that good, so maybe we made them look it?) and even though this Europa group has been hard, I'd expect us to be doing better than 0 points. We're just not firing at all at the moment. Our defenders can't defend, our midfielders can't midfield and our attackers can't attack. Hopefully, we can shake it off, but I'm a bit concerned.

It's tough. Say you keep having seasons like the last one: group stages and nothing else. Would the San Marinese League's and San Giovanni's reputation improve? If so, there might be a good chance of progressing.

I'm not sure, but I don't think so. Our reputation only increased to 1* when we made it out the groups for the first time. Because of the weak league/country we play in, I think unless we can progress from the groups a couple of times our reputation is probably going to stagnate. (I'm basing this off this season's performance, because winning a couple games in the groups but not going through might increase it).

That's going to be more competitive to see in the Europa League, but still San Giovanni can't reach the Champions League groups. But good luck on the next season!

1.) I think the reason why San Marino went to the Playoff is because of your European Nations League performance you have made (the record: 1W-3D-2L) before heading to the Qualifiers. Can I see the entire standings (Division A-D) of the 2106/07 and 2108/09 European Nations League and the UEFA Euro 2108 qualifiers and main tournament?

2.) I'll wait for the winners of the Champions League and Europa League as well. I would say that Red Star can't win the ECL tournament, I guess.

Your youth intakes don't seem to be developing very much recently, this must be really disappointing. I really hope they can improve soon!

That's going to be more competitive to see in the Europa League, but still San Giovanni can't reach the Champions League groups. But good luck on the next season!

1.) I think the reason why San Marino went to the Playoff is because of your European Nations League performance you have made (the record: 1W-3D-2L) before heading to the Qualifiers. Can I see the entire standings (Division A-D) of the 2106/07 and 2108/09 European Nations League and the UEFA Euro 2108 qualifiers and main tournament?

2.) I'll wait for the winners of the Champions League and Europa League as well. I would say that Red Star can't win the ECL tournament, I guess.

2106/07: 793229a26f97180217442d01f3095a9f.png

2108/09: 5a7c1fa76d454be9bf38adaa00a7811f.png

We didn't win it, so I've got no idea. Here's the tournament anyway:

442e93cb43957ce221fe8c5f64532593.png

672208662c9ff2e2479f0e0334cfbb1d.png

df40a1b2abf78e77bbd39c5f378be3fb.png

facc1ce55efde751e11442ce97fa5fba.png

You're right, Red Star can't win the CL. They didn't get a single point in their group :lol:

Your youth intakes don't seem to be developing very much recently, this must be really disappointing. I really hope they can improve soon!

I'm really hoping for something better in the next couple of years - now that our training facilities are state of the art, I don't see any chance that a player with high potential doesn't reach it.

Talking of reaching potential and CBs, here's Michele Tini (YP132) when he came through our youth system:

2b82cda057f75a5ada655e80d741d078.png

Here he is now, two years later:

fb660d255a52c6e69415a2e4b3be39e6.png

That's some serious improvement. He's pretty good as he is, and he still has room to grow :D

How do you stand with your finances right now jupjamie? Did you upgrade/build a new stadium since you started playing ?

We've got 6.4 million in the bank right now. We play domestic games in the 5,974 capacity San Giovanni stadium which was built in 2036, but unfortunately it's hardcoded that we play European games at the 5,500 seater San Marino Stadium.

Nice development for Tini there, and lets hope the report is wrong for Forcellini as his starting attributes look very good!

My thoughts exactly - he's not too far off being my second choice behind Tini at CB.

Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

7 goals conceded in 24 games. Take a bow.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Don't care.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Michele Ciacci (YP129) - 7.97

He played almost exclusively at CM this year.

Top Goalscorer:

Paolo Buscarini (YP125) - 32

I expect more from our strikers next year.

Manager's Player of the Year:

Filippo Felici (YP128)

He mostly played LM for us this year.

Aims for next season:

CL groups?

Other teams:

League Winners: :D

Cup Winners: Murata beat Juvenes Dogana on penalties in the final.

How the team in CL qualifying did: Red Star beat us 6-2 in the Playoff.

How the teams in Europa qualifying did: We lost every group game. Tre Penne lost 2-0 to Metalurg Skopje from Macedonia, Cailungo lost 6-0 to Glasgow Rangers and Folgore lost 2-0 to Hungarians Haledas.

San Marino National team:

2108 Results -- 2109 Results

We can't keep drawing games against weaker teams.

My old team. Hope you beat them though, obviously. I wonder why the league dropped 20 places? Odd.

It basically all depends on us, and we seem to have hit our relative peak - unless we can pick up at least a few points in the groups, we're probably going to drop. Let's make the CL groups to stop that from happening ;)

346e1f2db64eeec8a2621ff1efe9133c.png

The good news is Rapid Wien are one of the weaker fourth seeds, so that should be great for our coefficient if nothing else. The bad news is, I'm not quite sure how strong Kyiv are, but I'm fairly certain the answer is 'too strong for us'.

a92c19c71dd00e696de8c2ee0134ea10.png

That was a f***ing disaster from start to finish. They're better than I thought (every one of their players is 5* CA for us), and we were a complete mess at the back. We're undoing all the good work we've done to get out the groups twice, because our coefficient is going to be suffering big time. To make things even better, Kyiv beat Wolfsburg, so they're probably a lot stronger than I thought, too.

Unlucky with the loss there. If they're all 5* then it is understandable unless you park the bus and even then get extremely lucky.

I think most teams (including a lot of the ones we play in qualifying) are all 5*, so I'm kind of used to it - I just didn't expect Rapid Wien to be at the same level as some of them. I still want to beat them in the return fixture.

Archived