[FM16] Up, up and away. More promotions than Neil Warnock?

Northernpilgrim

Except, in June, I asked again, and this time they said yes, and offered a 2 year deal (effectively a 1 year extension to my existing contract), so if we go down and they don't sack me, my final year of my contract will be a promotion challenge

New%20contract%202021_zpsfowz7gq3.png

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a feeling someone else here is going to like that... ;)

If I posted the full league tables, Nobby would go potty! Stoke in Europe (via the league no less), and Port Vale down to the Conference. My former club Notts County drop out of League 1, Eastleigh narrowly avoided relegation from the National League, Bolton finished 9th in League 1 after relegation last season, Aston Villa survive another season in the Premier League, and Walsall finished mid table in League 1, having been relegated last season.

What about Gillingham, Wycombe and Stevenage?

Congratulations on promotion.

Thanks Deisler. Gillingham finished 3rd in League 1, but didn't go up via the playoffs. They lost to Millwall in the semis, who went on to clinch promotion. Wycombe won the League 2 playoffs and will play in League 1 next season, and Stevenage were 9th in League 2.

If I posted the full league tables, Nobby would go potty! Stoke in Europe (via the league no less), and Port Vale down to the Conference. My former club Notts County drop out of League 1, Eastleigh narrowly avoided relegation from the National League, Bolton finished 9th in League 1 after relegation last season, Aston Villa survive another season in the Premier League, and Walsall finished mid table in League 1, having been relegated last season.

Awesome. All it would need now is for Newcastle Town for somehow to be promoted up from level 8.

We went through November unbeaten, picking up valuable points in the process#

Nov%202021_zpsfqeawthj.png

and we're (temporarily at least) in the top half of the table, which looks very much as though it's split in two, with the top 6 pulling away, and everybody else involved in the relegation discussion at this stage

Nov%202021%20table_zpssuvlwx0o.png

I restored my 'Plan B' formation at the start of this month, having stopped using it as a first choice tactic very early last season. I figured that if we're going to go down, we'll do it all guns blazing. If it starts to look like we're heading for a tailspin, I'll change it again, but it's doing well so far. Longo and Sinclair seem to be fitting into it particularly well, which is pleasing :)

December was a really interesting month. First the results

Dec%202021_zpsutqtvcsk.png

Statistically we dominated the Derby game, despite being on the end of a 5-1 hammering. Shots (28-17), on target we lost out (8-10), and possession (51-49). I'd have expected a game like that to end as a draw, possibly a 1 goal win for either side.

Swansea dominated the game against us, but we took the lead on 14 minutes, conceded on 33 and held on for a point, which we probably didn't deserve.

The Everton game was very equal in terms of shots (13-12), and shots on target, but we had the lion share of the ball (59-41), which may well have been decisive in getting the win.

Against Chelsea it was again very even, shots (8-12), on target (3-3), and possession (51-49), and we kept them out for 73 minutes before conceding a very good goal. Proud of the performance, gutted we didn't get the point that would have felt like a win.

Finally, Arsenal. The result, wow, unexpected point, but we definitely didn't deserve it. Arsenal dominated shots (6-25), on target (1-8), and possession (45-55), but we took the lead on 37 minutes, Arsenal equalised on 66, and we somehow held on for a point.

All of which leaves the table looking like this, with exactly half the season gone

Dec%202021%20table_zpsmukjlqdn.png

Wow - so close! Don't think I've ever seen a table where only 6 points(!) separated 8th and last place after 19 rounds. :eek:

This could still end with anything from Europa League to relegation...

Wow - so close! Don't think I've ever seen a table where only 6 points(!) separated 8th and last place after 19 rounds. :eek:

This could still end with anything from Europa League to relegation...

2 wins in January, which should have been 3 as we blew a 2-0 lead in the last 20 minutes against Man Utd

Jan%202022_zpsodgvp0br.png

and the league table is a little less tight now. Realistically 9th is our best possible finish, whilst I'll be delighted just to survive in the division.

Jan%202022%20table_zpsra9yde0r.png

On 11th February, this appeared in my inbox

Takeover%20rumour_zpsghujywvw.png

I don't know if I'll still be in charge after the end of the season, as we'll have achieved the promotion I needed, and avoided the relegation Neil Warnock suffered with Sheffield United. The fact I need another promotion from the Championship is leading me towards leaving at the end of the season, but I will make a decision after the end of the current season.

After shipping so many goals against Tottenham and failing to beat QPR in February, I switched to 4-2-3-1 at the start of March, which saw results improve after an initial hiccup

Mar%202022_zps62ifekty.png

and I think we're pretty near safety now. It'll take an unusual series of results to see us go down from here

Mar%202022%20table_zpsgtodnrmw.png

Mathematically the title is a four horse race, but I think realistically Arsenal are out of the running. Arsenal and Liverpool will fight for the final Champions League spot, with the loser going into the Europa League. Liverpool are assured of at least a Europa League spot, as even if they drop to 6th, Tottenham won the Capital One Cup, so if they finish 5th Liverpool will get their cup spot.

At the other end, Stoke's relegation is confirmed, a dramatic fall from last year. The other two spots will go to any two of Derby, Wolves, Villa, Southampton, West Brom and QPR. The clubs between 7th and 13th have nothing but pride and minor variations in league placing to fight for.

Following their relegation from the Premier League, and given they qualified for Europe the season before, there was one job that really interested me after leaving Bournemouth, and I got it :) I was also interviewed for the Aston Villa job (they approached me), but they weren't quick enough. Hope you're happy with your team's new gaffer Nobby!!

Stoke%20job_zps91lyw03k.png

I also found centre back Eliaquim Mangala there too, so I've brought him back into the fold. I really don't know what went on last season, but there is no way a squad with this quality should be in the Championship. Give me a season and they won't be!!

Archived