[FM16] Up, up and away. More promotions than Neil Warnock?

Northernpilgrim

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brave move going to Bolton.

I'm beginning to realise that! My thought process on taking the job was that if I could get them back up to the Championship at the first time of asking, whilst giving the youngsters a fair bit of first team football, the extra revenue in the Championship would enable me to not have to slash the wage bill next season, and the talented youngsters would have had a year in the team, and might do very well in the Championship. What I hadn't banked on was that Administration might kick in and rob me of not only my established first team, but the young talent too. It hasn't happened yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if we're in Administration before the end of the season. Whatever happens, my focus at the moment is on getting beyond 60 points as quickly as possible (if we do that, even a 10 point deduction won't see us relegated). If the promotion I need for the challenge doesn't materialise, I'll have to change the rules to carry on, and it may be that I just go for getting more promotions than him, without regard for the order or having to get a club up twice.

One setback on the pitch in November in an otherwise perfect month

Nov%202016_zpsanmj5i21.png

and we're 16 points clear of 7th place now. Given the financial situation is worsening by the day, I think focussing on keeping that gap above 10 points is important, as I believe it's when, not if, we go into Administration. I'd rather it happen away from a transfer window, because I don't want to lose players for little or no money, but ultimately it's beyond my control. If I manage to get Bolton to the Premier League, I think it'll be my biggest achievement on FM ever, probably topping winning the Premier League with Plymouth Argyle on FM15.

Nov%202016%20table_zpsse4d8iua.png

December is going to be a massive month, beginning with a second round FA Cup tie away to Leyton Orient, currently 4th in League 2. I'm actually pleased to have been drawn away, as if we can take it to a replay and get through, we stand a chance of drawing a Premier League team. Wait for the next update to find out how we get on :)

I had no idea Emile Heskey still played! Hows he doing? Looks like you are going to be crowned Champions no problem.

I let him leave because he's 38 and quite honestly he's not up to the job of League 1 football. As for being crowned Champions, IF we can avoid administration, we've a chance. If not, it will depend when it happens as to whether we can make a challenge for promotion

You're doing all you can on the pitch anyway.

I am, but I can't keep pulling rabbits out of hats. In the same week as the above announcement, three first team midfielders have been injured or fallen ill, for between 4 and 8 weeks each. I have no money, and I think the training ground sale was a bid to stave off administration, but given we're losing a million a month, even the £20m raised from the sale has only given us a £14m bank balance. The real worry is that our outstanding loan is still £92m and is costing almost £1m a month in interest. I'm beginning to believe that, even if I survive the season, this'll be my only year at Bolton, and I'll be looking to move to a Championship club in the summer, and achieve the promotions with different clubs.

There will be a change of system at Aston Villa due to the quality of wide players on the books. I'm trying a 4-1-2-2-1 to begin with, but we will also use the 4-3-3 as we have 3 strikers who need to play. I will switch between the two, most likely the 4-3-3 will be wheeled out against the lesser sides, and the new formation will be the main one

Villa%2041221_zps5stds2fm.png

Instructions_zps2drscseb.png

Congrats on the title. Villa came and swept you away from a nightmare. :D Good luck going forward! :)

Thanks Analog! It does feel as though I've walked away from a nightmare, but I'm not exactly pressure free, given that promotion is required just to keep pace. Given that I will then leave if I've got the promotion, I can't help but wonder what the FM world will make of me walking out and going to League 1. This is already shaping up to be a really enjoyable save for me :)

Quite a busy transfer window

Transfers%20Summer%202017_zpsjlqba3fv.png

I went back to Bolton for Max Clayton, who was brilliant for me (and out of contract too), picked up Jason Steele as a backup keeper, snapped up Curtis Nelson as a backup to the defence (he'll be a first teamer in a couple of seasons, but I won't be here to see it). Mason Bennett has huge potential, and I'm hoping we'll see flashes of it as I intend to use him as an impact sub. Finally, Tommy Smith adds further defensive options, as we only had 2 centre backs at the club before he and Nelson signed. I didn't want to lose Angelo Henriquez, but Palace put in a bid that triggered a release clause, and was too big to turn down anyway. I've saved a chunk of the budget for January reinforcements if needed, though I expect loans rather than permanent signings.

Decent start! How's Clayton fitting in?

Thanks Analog :). Clayton's done ok, he's only played 4 games so far, but his average rating is better in the Championship than it was with Bolton in League 1. He'll be a useful member of the squad, and I'll be looking to integrate him over the rest of the season.

Archived