Football Manager 15 Benchmark Thread

All threads must have been utilized during English Premier and Championship matchdays?

I just ran the benchmark again with a better overclock. The benchmark only used 13% max of my cpu and it only hit 4.5Ghz on a match day,here is a picture during the benchmark and this is one of my Man utd save with 32 leagues with the top tiers on full detail.

This is my fastest time for the benchmark

CPU: I7 5820k

CPU Frequency: 4500 MHz @ 125 base clock

RAM: 16Gb DDR4 2750Mhz 14-14-14-35-1T

Storage: OS on SSD and Game on HD

Time: 3 Minutes 52 seconds

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just turned up the detail level in my save to where every international and European competition is on full detail and I put 21 other leagues on full detail. It does put my CPU under near constant 100% load. I am going to see if it is worth the slow down in terms of getting better results due to a more accurate simulation.

Got a new PC last week, and here's the result from its first benchmark test:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790

CPU Frequency: 3666 MHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3

Storage: HDD

Time: 4 min 46 sec

:eek:

Not even that much, will have to get a G3258 and see what an overclock would do.

Ask and you shall receive! Specifically upgraded to this setup based on the good results posted with the G3420 and since the G3258 is essentially the unlocked version of it. Super happy so far - Will update with an OC'ed result later.

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258

CPU Frequency: 3200 MHz (stock)

RAM: 16GB 1600 MHz CL9

Storage: SSD

Time: 6 min 23 sec (no overclock, average of 5 runs)

Glad to see a user who has a i7-920

My desktop still has that CPU and it is a workhorse. It is aged by now but still capable. I have OCed it up to 26% (3.62 GHZ) before and my system was stable. I have since backed it down to 15% (3.37 GHZ) and it has been in service now for 7 years. I have upgraded that desktop to 12GB of ram and a Geforce 770 GTX and it is still a great gaming system.

For a 45nm chip it is fantastic. It might be the most solid all around chip Intel has ever produced. It is limited today by aged cache and other technologies but the clock speed is still acceptable since you can OC the crap out of it and it just smiles and marches on.

It is the 34 year old defensive midfielder who anchors your team of the processor world.

There are even guides out there that with proper cooling people have OCed it all the way to 4 GHZ and had a stable system.

i7 920 is indeed very good CPU. I checked now and it can be found here for as low as 20 Euros. The problem is that used 1366 motherboards are extremely rare, I couldn't find any at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
Ask and you shall receive! Specifically upgraded to this setup based on the good results posted with the G3420 and since the G3258 is essentially the unlocked version of it. Super happy so far - Will update with an OC'ed result later.

CPU Frequency: 3200 MHz (stock)

Time: 6 min 23 sec (no overclock, average of 5 runs)

Haswell architecture really shines in FM. I am looking forward to seeing overclocked results.

Ok, after tweaking/dialing in my overclock for the last few weeks, I can report back with some very impressive numbers. This chip is a "monster on a budget" at this game especially when overclocked.

CPU Frequency: 4400 MHz (overclocked, stock cooler)

Time: 5 min 8 sec (overclocked to 4.4 GHz, average of 5 runs)

Good enough for 4th on the list in the OP! Overclocking made a 1 min 15 sec improvement from stock. I'm extremely pleased with the upgrade to this CPU.

• 2 months later...

Overcloking for CPU:

CPU: Core i5-2400 (4 Cores / 4 Threads)

CPU Frequency: 100x36, 3.6 GHz

RAM: 16 GB DDR3 1866 MHz @ 1600 MHz

Storage FM15: WD Red 4 TB HDD

Time: 6 minutes, 43 seconds

+ 29 seconds.

• 2 weeks later...
CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231v3

CPU Frequency: 3600-3800 MHz

RAM: 16GB 2200 MHz CL11

Time: 4 min 51 sec

Very interesting only 5 seconds slower than the tested I7 4790 non k version.

Linus tech did an interesting comparison between Xeons and I7's:

Got myself today 2500K capable of running torture tests at 5,3 GHz. Too bad I don't have proper cooling at the moment to test it in FM at such frequencies.

That would give some interesting results!

I just sold mine and I'm hesitating between a I7 6700K or hold out for AMD Zen/Broadwell-E/Skylake-E.

Hi guys, I recently upgraded my rig and I have some interesting results to share.

CPU: Intel i7 5820K

CPU Frequency: 4000 MHz

Cache Frequency: 3600 MHz

RAM: 16GB 2400 MHz

Time: 4 min 19 sec

CPU: Intel i7 5820K

CPU Frequency: 4200 MHz

Cache Frequency: 4200 MHz

RAM: 16GB 3200 MHz

Time: 3 min 42 sec

Very interesting only 5 seconds slower than the tested I7 4790 non k version.

Linus tech did an interesting comparison between Xeons and I7's:

same cache, ~same core clock, default clock was @ 3,4Ghz/3,8Ghz, but there's an unlock in BIOS that gives me free 200Mhz on top, so I get 3,8 on one core, 3,7 on two and 3,6 on 3 or 4 cores, which is i7-4790 non-K and it was about 50 euro cheaper, plus inexpensive motherboard GA-Z97-HD3P

Noticed that I never posted a time using full detail processing, ran the original test again to get a new benchmark since upgrading to W10.

CPU: i7-920 @ 4000MHz

RAM: DDR3 6GB 1537Mhz - CL9

Default - match processing as per original test parameters: 5m 24s

Maximum (International & Club) - all competitions using full detail match processing: 28m 56s

Even for me the maximum setting is overkill as I leave youth & reserve leagues to run on the quick match engine as playing time & match performances are not really a factor in youth development sousing the full ME is not a major factor in long term game balance.

Sir James, do you have the time & inclination to run the test with the detail level set to maximum? Would be interesting to see what the 5960X can come in at.

Maximum Detail

CPU: Intel i7 5960X

CPU Frequency: 4000 MHz OC

RAM: 16GB DDR-2133 CL15

Time: 15 min 35 sec

Wow thank you (and Barside) so much and Barside for providing more insight on the technical inner workings for this lovely game.

Skylake-E is back on the table( In Dutch we have a saying: "putting things back on the table" ;) )!

Interesting thread - I am thinking about building a budget mATX gaming PC to replace my laptop so interesting to see how well the Pentium G3258 performs when overclocked. Here is my laptop's (a three year old Dell Inspiron 17R SE)

CPU:Core i7-3630QM

CPU Frequency: 2400MhZ

RAM: 8GB DDR3-1600MHz CL11

Time: 7min 2 sec

Bit disappointing to be honest - I guess the CPU is a little outdated now compared to some others.

• 3 weeks later...
CPU: Core i7 6700k

CPU Frequency:4000MhZ (Turbo boost 4.2Mhz)

Ram: 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DDR4 2666MHz

Time: 3min 46sec

Will be overclocking this later so will run again but pretty happy with that

Better than I expected! I expected it to be closer to the I7 4790K due to the lower turbo boost.

CPU: Core i7 6700k

CPU Frequency:4500MhZ OC

Ram: 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DDR4 2666MHz

Time: 3min 32sec

That's quite a big drop, I'm sure I'll be able to get it below 3min 30sec but I'm happy with my stable OC by now.

18min 34sec on full detail, will try it next time from a cold start as this wasn't straight after a restart.

seems more cache* than 4Mb on Haswell gives marginal performance gains on FM performance, then it is pure base frequency clock that counts, but this test is most of the time on single thread, run it again on full detail, you will lose a minute or two as you have only half of cores i7 has, see http://www.anandtech.com/show/7963/the-intel-haswell-refresh-review-core-i7-4790-i5-4690-and-i3-4360-tested/2 on next page Winrar test, you have half score than a 4790 plus some seconds because of smaller cache.

* - there was a test on overclocked G3258 which has just 3Mb cache and runs slower

seems that best buy Desktop CPU is i3-4360, i5-4570, i5-4690, i7-4790, i7-4790K also consider those new Skylake CPU if they have same or more base frequency plus 4Mb cache - i3-6320, i5-6600, i7-6700, i7-6700K

seems more cache* than 4Mb on Haswell gives marginal performance gains on FM performance, then it is pure base frequency clock that counts, but this test is most of the time on single thread, run it again on full detail, you will lose a minute or two as you have only half of cores i7 has, see http://www.anandtech.com/show/7963/the-intel-haswell-refresh-review-core-i7-4790-i5-4690-and-i3-4360-tested/2 on next page Winrar test, you have half score than a 4790 plus some seconds because of smaller cache.

* - there was a test on overclocked G3258 which has just 3Mb cache and runs slower

seems that best buy Desktop CPU is i3-4360, i5-4570, i5-4690, i7-4790, i7-4790K also consider those new Skylake CPU if they have same or more base frequency plus 4Mb cache - i3-6320, i5-6600, i7-6700, i7-6700K

actually, I'm running it on full detail. I have an i3-4360 + GTX 750 Ti.

I can't decide if I've done something wrong, or whether my 6-year old processor is still managing to keep up with some of the best today?

CPU: Intel i5-750

CPU Frequency: 3890 MHz OC

RAM: 8GB

Time: 5 min, 58 sec

That time seems unrealistically low. I even set England detail to all and got 6 min 58 sec? Can this be right? I was considering a CPU upgrade for FM but this suggests it may not massively benefit?

Also, I noticed that for the majority of the benchmark, CPU usage was around the 30% mark? It only spiked to full usage when processing fixtures. And it rarely used more than 1GB of RAM.

Your results appears to be in line wit expectations based on other results posted in this thread.

There does appear to be a limit it how much processing FM is able to address to a CPU, I see a max of 16% use on my i7-920 clocked to 4Mhz when the match processing isn't set to full detail so 30% on your i5 is spot on.

Hopefully SI will one day overcome whatever technically limitations create the apparent processing cap & we'll see better use of hardware resources at the higher end.

...or a very small sample size.

The difference between stock & overclocked is impressive, shows that the 920 was & still is a solid workhorse if you keep on top of system cooling so that it can be OC'd

Just came across this when looking for thoughts about FM16. I didn't reboot, just closed my previous game and was using Outlook for a couple of work emails ...

CPU: I5 2500K

CPU Frequency: 4500 MHz

RAM: 8GB 1600 MHz CL9

Storage: SSD - game on HD

Time: 3 min 47 sec (ran it again - 3 min 49 sec)

I suspect there's too many variables involved for this test to be called totally meaningful to be fair.

Archived