Nikigreat's It's a Wing Thing

Hi guys, I usually don't post tactics or better I never did it, but I think this one is pretty good or at least it worked really well to me in my very first season with FM15, so I wanted to share it.

I tried to do the best work possible and I'm pretty happy with it. Please try it and let me know anything about it, it means so much to me if you can also give your suggestion to improve it. Since tactics system is changed this year, it would be nice if this one became a pillar of FM15 new tactics. :D

2jaagrd.png

Seems like someone is having problems when trying to import the tactic, it seems you have to rename the download file in a simpler name, just tell me if you still have the issue, we'll try to fix it together.

1000 Downloads!

Thanks guys, that's a really good number of downloads, I need you all to let me know how this Tactic works for you!

I started using this with AC Fiorentina.

As the name says, the most important elements in this tactic are the Wings. In particular, the right one. Since I had Cuadrado, one of the best right wing of the game this year to me, I decided to set my tactic to play mostly towards the right side, so we can surely say that the Right Wing is the most important player of your team using this tactic. Choose him wisely.

Squad Instructions

t5116s.png

2ebbklt.png

Starting from the left column:

We're gonna use Short Passing to keep the ball with easy on foot passes, forcing the opponent midfielders (and defenders too) to try to catch the ball in this short distances, so we can create space between them and especially when our team bandy with the ball in the limits of the field this allows our wings to have more free space.

Play Out of Defence is set for the same reason; we're not gonna try long throws, but we'll come gradually where we want to come. And as said, we will Pass into Space as soon as we find the right spot.

Play Wider is really useful to create space between our opponent too, but the main thing is that our Wings will stay the widest possible trying to avoid the right/left fullback's marking.

Close Down More is set to make us quickly recovering the ball to impose our game and in my tactic it was helpful so many times to catch the ball in the opponent defending side putting us in a situation where the defense is broken and we have three attacking players we can give the ball in a real win-win situation; it is supported by Use Tighter Marking.

To hold up all of this we're gonna play with a Higher Tempo.

This was one of my typical 11 starters

ddxqd.png

Let's have a look to every player role:

The Goal Keeper will have default settings.

The Left Back will be set as Automatic Full Back with these tasks:

Pass it Shorter - Cross More Often - Stay Wider - Cut Inside With Ball

This is the more offensive of the two full backs.

The key attributes are: Crossing - Tackling - Concentration - Team Work - Acceleration - Stamina

Good examples can be: Davide Santon, Lucas Digne, Alberto Moreno, Massadio Haidara

The Central Backs will be both set as Defend Centre Defender but one of them will just have the Pass it Shorter task, the other one will have these tasks:

Pass it Shorter - Close Down More - Mark Tighter

These ones are usually the classic center backs, but it's better having the first one more technique and the second one more "classic".

The key attributes are: Heading - Marking - Tackling - Anticipation - Bravery - Concentration - Positioning - Strength - (Passing)

Good examples can be: Eder Alvarez Balanta, Eliaquim Mangala, Samuel Umtiti, Leonardo Bonucci, Phil Jones

The Right Back will be set as Defend Limited Full Back with these tasks:

Close Down More - Sit Narrower

This is the defensive full back. Maybe you are wondering why he's set with defending tasks if the main game of the tactic will be developed on the right. First of all, don't expect to see every offensive actions on your right side. By the way, this is because in a right side that is a full-attacking one where we'll take the greater number of risks, we need to have a more covered defending spot; this will be a very important player, in fact we make him sit narrower so it's easier for him to immediately pass every ball he catches in the midfield to start our game.

The key attributes are: First Touch - Marking - Tackling - Anticipation - Decisions - Positioning - Agility - Stamina

Good examples can be: Bacary Sagna, Micah Richards, Kyle Walker, Glen Johnson, Sebastien Corchia, Lorenzo De Silvestri

The Central Defensive Midfielder will be set as Support Ball Winning Midfielder with no particular tasks.

This is the typical ball catcher who fluctuates between defense and midfield. Nothing simpler than that, but just like one of our central defenders, it's not a bad thing if he has a good technique too.

The key attributes are the standard ones for this role.

Good examples can be: Victor Wanyama, Nigel de Jong, Alex Song, Daniele De Rossi

The Centre Left Midfielder will be set as Support Box to Box Midfielder with these tasks:

Close Down More - Pass it Shoter - Move Into Channels - Run Wide With Ball

This is our acrobatic player in the midfield. He will move to space, trying to cut in the area when our attacks will occasionally go through the center, going back to catch some ball and moving to the ball all around to create the space for the other offensive players.

The key attributes are the First Touch - Passing - Tackling - Bravery - Off The Ball - Work Rate - Acceleration - Stamina

Good examples can be: Claudio Marchisio, Pedro Obiang, Aaron Ramsey, Kevin Strootman

The Centre Right Midfielder will be set as Support Advanced Playmaker with just two tasks:

Pass it Shoter - Cross From Deep

Our classic playmaker. Not many tasks for him because what he does by default is exactly what we need. Crossing from deep is really more important than you could think, in particular it's useful to unlock our wing's movement or chip in over the defense to the striker when the opponent squad brilliantly covers all the field and there is no much space.

The key attributes are the Crossing - First Touch - Passing - Technique - Decisions - Flair - Team Work - Vision - Agility

Good examples can be: Jack Wilshere - Andrea Pirlo - Borja Valero, Marco Verratti, Toni Kroos

The Left Wing will be set as Support Inside Forward with standard tasks.

This is our "fake" wing. This is not the classic wing as we know it, but he's a complete forward who will dictate the tempo when the ball comes on the left side. He can cut in the area or converge to midfield to create space from the advancing left back or to do to other things: playing with the two midfielders or trying a long shot; he must be a very quality player, personally I found in Gabbiadini a really solid (and cheaper) one. This guy is able to do everything.

The key attributes are the Finishing - First Touch - Long Shots - Passing - Technique - Composure - Flair - Off The Ball - Vision - Agility - Acceleration - Stamina

Good examples can be: Manolo Gabbiadini, Lukas Podolski, Memphis Depay, Antoine Griezmann

The Right Wing will be set as Attack Winger with two tasks.

Close Down More - Roam From Position

And here we are, our man. He can go wherever he wants, finding the best spot to attack but you will see him often starting to very right side to converge into the area. He will receive the ball on the run trying to make the most possible damage with his pace. The close down more task won't allow the opponent defenders to breathe a second and I saw many times Cuadrado catching the ball from the left back and then going to score a solo goal.

The key attributes are the Crossing - Dribbling - First Touch - Technique - Anticipation - Flair - Off The Ball - Acceleration - Agility - Pace

Good examples can be: Juan Cuadrado, Carlos Vela, Arjen Robben

The Central Forward will be set as Attack Poacher with two tasks.

Pass It Shorter - Move Into Channel

The "one ball-one goal striker". Make sure to choose a forward able to score in every way; finishing is clearly the most important attribute for him. Believe me, if the tactic works, he will receive so many balls to put in the box. Many times my striker went out of the area playing at its limits and with a short pass find the wing on the run or lending support to the playmaker who could chip the ball to the winger aswell.

The key attributes are the Finishing - First Touch - Heading - Anticipation - Concentration - Off The Ball - Agility - Strength

Good examples can be: Mattia Destro, Luis Suarez, David Villa, Loic Remy, Miroslav Klose

In Game handling

I was used to make some devices during the game and they was always the same because they seem to work good. Especially in the first part of the first half, at about the 15-20th minute, if I was seeing that our Ball Possesion was growing I put Retain Possession, Stay Higher and Work Ball Into Box; I also changed Mentality from Control to Attacking many times, you can do it if you have the midfield domain and by the way it depends on the feelings you have about the match. If I was seeing our shoots growing but not the ones on target, I put Look For Overlap to insist in having more options to bring the ball in the area getting more chances to score.

If you are drawing a match with a team you believe it's weaker, Overload is an option you have to consider; I did it like 10-12 times and 5-6 I do score the leading goal and however I didn't remember any big mess with a counter attack because we was all forward; use it from the 70th minute on.

To defend your winning score, at about 75-80th minute stop the Look For Overlap and the Work Ball Into Box tasks. Go back to Control or even to Defensive if the opponent squad is closer to your team skill level and select Retain Possession (if you are not already using it), Lower Tempo, Stay On Feet, Be More Disciplined.

If you play away starting as real underdogs you can use Counter mentality; you have chance to find your wings in a couple of passages and the Cross for Deep option of our playmaker is gold in this situation.

I think that these are the most important things you had to know if playing with my tactic. Now let's have a look to a classic goal situation with my tactic and to the result I had in my first season:

Video: Classic Goal

This is a classic goal situation starting from the midfield that happens using my tactic.

Our Central Defensive Midfielder wins a disputed ball and immediately pass to our Centre Forward who goes back before the opponent defenders and he leans the ball for our Midfielder, immediately ready to jump the opponent defensive side with a high fast ball for our Right Wing who runs into the area and scores with a crossing shoot.

[video=youtube_share;UGgYRtGpX68]

Best winning streak: 13

Unbeaten streak: 24

Trophies:

UEFA Europa League

Remarkable wins:

6-1 @ Verona, 5-1 @ Cagliari, 4-0 with Arsenal

Schedule

rw54ir.png

2uf50co.png

315zlma.png

League Table

We finished second but with 84 points and best attack (97 Goals), Juventus in Italy plays on another planet and by the way we was really unlucky in the head to head with them, we could win both and would have claimed the title with a win and a draw.

2mpkeg9.png

Player of the Season:

Juan Cuadrado (RW)

s2sjys.png

Apps: 25 - Goals: 15 - Assist: 13 - PoM: 5 - Average Rating: 7.42

UPDATE

AMAZING SECOND SEASON with AC Fiorentina

Best winning streak: 12

Unbeaten streak: 18

Trophies:

UEFA Champions League - Serie A Tim - Tim Cup - UEFA Super Cup [TRIPLETE]

Remarkable wins:

5-2 with Manchester United, 3-2 @ Juventus, 4-1 with Chelsea, 4-1 with Manchester United, 3-1 with Real Madrid

2a8kehs.png

a11qx3.png

5xjrrm.png

League Table

nyzr43.png

I haven't tried it yet but a very nice structured and clear guide. Going to give this a go with a new Millwall save and report back how it does in lower leagues. About the central forward position, you seem to describe the desired attributes of an advanced forward, just want to make sure you really mean the role should be poacher.

Also, I noticed you are using Manolo Gabbiadini as the inside forward on the left side despite him being left footed. Would you recommend if possible to get someone who is right footed?

I play with italian translation but I've checked it and in English that's the Poacher. The forward who just think to score, who is in the right place at the right time in the area. Maybe I confused you when I wrote about the support task with short pass for Playmaker or Wings. But mostly he stays in the area trying to transform every ball he gets in goals.

Thank you for the comment, really appreciate, let me know how it goes with Millwall ;)

I definitely will. Another question "if I was seeing that our Ball Possesion was growing I put Retain Possession, Stay Higher and Work Ball Into Box" This is a bit unclear - Do you mean you do these shouts when you are winning possession or losing possession?

I definitely will. Another question "if I was seeing that our Ball Possesion was growing I put Retain Possession, Stay Higher and Work Ball Into Box" This is a bit unclear - Do you mean you do these shouts when you are winning possession or losing possession?

When we are winning it, usually when I see we are leading possession at least by 55-56% I operate like that.

After I downloaded the file, FM15 would not let me import the file....hmmmm

I'm sorry... it's really strange, I tried again downloading the file and it works to me.

By the way you can quickly set this tactic by yourself, it's just 8 squad instructions and few task for the player. You se everything on my first post. Let me know!

UPDATE

Video: Classic Goal

This is a classic goal situation starting from the midfield that happens using my tactic.

Our Central Defensive Midfielder wins a disputed ball and immediately pass to our Centre Forward who goes back before the opponent defenders and he leans the ball for our Midfielder, immediately ready to jump the opponent defensive side with a high fast ball for our Right Wing who runs into the area and scores with a crossing shoot.

[video=youtube_share;UGgYRtGpX68]

So. After a half a season with Millwall here's my results

2e2o0gn.jpg

I had an insane run early on and now doing alright. I managed to do pick up some good players on a free and Millwall has a good squad that's suited for this tactic. But we were still predicted to finish 18th and we're currently 4th, 6 points from first place.

Tactic seems really solid so far.

Wow I'm really happy watching this!

Don't pay much attention to prediction, for personal experience I can tell you that especially in the first season it depends on the chances you had before the league started and doesn't change easily.

By the way really happy for your result!

Who's your best Right Winger? Who are your best Play Maker and Centre Forward?

Yeah they are tearing it up. And yeah, was lucky to manage to pick up all 3 of my best players on free transfers. Really hoping I'll manage to get promoted to PL in the first season.

Good luck for the promotion!

By the way can I ask you if you had any problem when trying to load the tactic? Someone told me that the system doesn't import it.

I found by renaming the tactic to 27s Wing Thing.tac after downloading and it works a treat.

Another guy told me ha renamed and it worked, because stupid upload site puts some strange symbols like % when hosting it and sometimes FM doesn't accept it in the tactic name.

Thanks Mackem, would you like to post your results and tell me what is your squad and who are your key players?

I have been using this tactic, and stuck to the instructions almost religiously. Although Villa have a 5mil to spend, there is not much in the way of wages to play around with. So instead I decided to tie down Vlaar and Delph to contracts, and rely on the current squad until a takeover is done (I hope).

Anyway as you can see a slight glitch against Millwall. That as much down to team selection and not being fluid with the tactic. Adopted the counter for the Liverpool game and got a footballing lesson! It was wave after wave of attack and only stemmed the flow when I changed to control, and actually pulled one back!

Same rules applied to the Chelsea game. Started with Counter and the first 20 mins it was all Chelsea. Went 1-0 down and decided to go control straight after conceding! It had the desired effect! We were all over them for long periods of the game! We ended up thumping them 4-1 at home.

Bearing in mind the Villa Squad doesn't have a decent wide player in the squad to mention. We have won 4 of the first 5 league games!

Next up Man City away. I'm tempted to adopt control from the start and see how we go.

If anyone can tell me how to add screen shots I will happily provide one. Tried to upload from dropbox but got an error message - TIA

Thank you for your exhaustive post heartandgroin.

I can see decent results so fare with Villa for you. I think Premier League is the toughest championship for medium-low team to break the equilibrium between that 5-6 Top teams, so I can imagine a 7-8th place would be good for first season with Aston Villa.

To upload screenshot just use Tinypic, click on upload and then copy the direct link of image and put it in your post here between paste the link here

I'm waiting for your screenshots!

14 W - 6 D - 2 in 22 matches seems a pretty good run, let's see how it works in Premier.

About the Villa season, you've just list against Liverpool and City, let's see how it goes the rest of the season. Thanks guys.

Yeah I will do. Going to try and smash a few hours in tonight so I can provide a suitable update.

has anyone found in the beta that no matter what you do or what tactics you use, it just seems too easy for the opposition to score?

I play as liverpool, I have tried many tactics and whilst I'm pretty happy going forward I seem to be carved open by all opposition.

Now I will assume I'm doing something wrong as a lot of people have had success with similar tactics that I'm using.

I'm tearing my hair out here :(

has anyone found in the beta that no matter what you do or what tactics you use, it just seems too easy for the opposition to score?

I play as liverpool, I have tried many tactics and whilst I'm pretty happy going forward I seem to be carved open by all opposition.

Now I will assume I'm doing something wrong as a lot of people have had success with similar tactics that I'm using.

I'm tearing my hair out here :(

I don't know mate, I'm sorry for that, have you tried my tactic yet? I can just talk about that because is the only one I ever used in FM15; with Liverpool team that should be good, can't even imagine of much damages Sterling can do!

yup I have been using your tactic and I love it going forward, but I seem to leak (actually hemorrhage) goals at the back no matter what I do.

Sterling is amazing, he has scored 20 goals for me this season from the right wing, coutinho has 18 from the left wing.

BUT the opposition out score me every time!!

I switched to this formation with Dunfermline (Scottish League 1), as it was a fairly similar shape to my own inconsistent 4-1-2-2-1 formation. First two matches (both away to Peterhead, league then cup) finished 6-1 and 6-4. Since then I have only lost one in 9, when I fielded my reserves in the Scottish Cup. But scores have also included a 6-3, 5-1 and 4-4. It's not entirely the tactics issue - SI have confirmed that guff goalkeeping in the Beta is being looked at.

Been trying to go as many different teams in as many different nations as possible, so used your formation from the start with FC Astra Giurgiu in the Romanian top-flight. The Super Cup against Steaua finished 4-4 AET, with us losing 13-12 in the most tedious shootout in history.

At that point, I decided to have a tinker to see if I could lessen the goals conceded - as a few people above have alluded too.

I switched the right-sided centre-back to "DC - Cover" and changed the left-sided centre-back to "DC - Stopper". It seems to have made the back-line less square and less susceptible to the ubiquitous long ball over the top. Since that change, we have P6 W4 D1 L1: the loss was daylilght robbery, the draw was against Steaua so to be expected. But, more interestingly, we have only conceded two goals. Four clean sheets in six league games seems promising, given they are golddust in the Beta. Of course, it could be a complete fluke. A couple of the months in Romania is no proper sample size. Just a wee idea for anyone become exasperated.

But, in general, the tactic plays some lovely stuff and I've been really happy with the results, so a big thumbs up.

I've been having the same issues with this tactic, its great going forward, but I leak goals for fun at the back.

The Ringmaster, did you remove any of the player instructions for the Centre Backs when you changed their roles? The right sided centre back has instructions to Close Down More and Mark Tighter (which I was a bit sceptical about because I don't really like my centre backs breaking the defensive line to close down a ball - leaving a huge hole in the def), which I doubt will work very well for a centre-back set to cover?

I didn't remove any instructions - to be honest, it was just a slight tweak made out of exasperation, and it seems to have had an effect. You may find that removing the instructions to make DC/R more in line with a covering defender works even better. I'm just reluctant to change too much of the tactic in case it loses the attacking essence.

I've just started a file with Palermo in order to give it a stringent test, so I guess I'll have a better idea about the defence once Higuain, Icardi, Tevez, Llorente, Totti, Torres etc have had a go at me!

what kind of training do you do for this

Yeah don't know why I didn't post it in my overview, I'm gonna add it.

Nothing particular, but the most important thing to make this tactic working good is that our players must be fit. So this are our Training settings:

r7r7n5.png

(Don't know why Keeping attributes are set to Light, I personally individually train Goalkeepers on Role->Goalkeepers (Defend) - Heavy Intensity

I don't know if this can work for everyone, because I have a really quality staff and not every team can get it (if you have the money to hire 5-6 trainers build a similar staff, this is great):

2yv3x3m.jpg

I switched to this formation with Dunfermline (Scottish League 1), as it was a fairly similar shape to my own inconsistent 4-1-2-2-1 formation. First two matches (both away to Peterhead, league then cup) finished 6-1 and 6-4. Since then I have only lost one in 9, when I fielded my reserves in the Scottish Cup. But scores have also included a 6-3, 5-1 and 4-4. It's not entirely the tactics issue - SI have confirmed that guff goalkeeping in the Beta is being looked at.

Been trying to go as many different teams in as many different nations as possible, so used your formation from the start with FC Astra Giurgiu in the Romanian top-flight. The Super Cup against Steaua finished 4-4 AET, with us losing 13-12 in the most tedious shootout in history.

At that point, I decided to have a tinker to see if I could lessen the goals conceded - as a few people above have alluded too.

I switched the right-sided centre-back to "DC - Cover" and changed the left-sided centre-back to "DC - Stopper". It seems to have made the back-line less square and less susceptible to the ubiquitous long ball over the top. Since that change, we have P6 W4 D1 L1: the loss was daylilght robbery, the draw was against Steaua so to be expected. But, more interestingly, we have only conceded two goals. Four clean sheets in six league games seems promising, given they are golddust in the Beta. Of course, it could be a complete fluke. A couple of the months in Romania is no proper sample size. Just a wee idea for anyone become exasperated.

But, in general, the tactic plays some lovely stuff and I've been really happy with the results, so a big thumbs up.

That's an interesting change, let's see how it works in the long period.

I have to say that for me the particular role effect depends on what kind of players you are using. Personally I have Balanta who is everywhere in the back-line, but it's possible that for a weaker defender it's harder to be so consistent in this tactic.

Talking about goal conceded, us too we gave about 50 goals in the first season, but we had huge offensive performances and we managed to score more than 110 (Europa League included) and so we had a very positive season.

Keep trying some defensive change and let me know guys!

what kind of training do you do for this

I never understood this question. Training needs to be designed around what YOUR team/players need. You are using a different club and players than the OP, so you shouldn't use his training. You should find what your specific players are lacking and adjust the training accordingly.

I never understood this question. Training needs to be designed around what YOUR team/players need. You are using a different club and players than the OP, so you shouldn't use his training. You should find what your specific players are lacking and adjust the training accordingly.

In fact I use a general fitness training and then I train individually my players on the role they should have in my tactic, or in a particular attribute that i need for that specific role. For example Gabbiadini is a really complete forward but I needed him a little more faster so I trained him in pace and acceleration for a while.

In fact I use a general fitness training and then I train individually my players on the role they should have in my tactic, or in a particular attribute that i need for that specific role. For example Gabbiadini is a really complete forward but I needed him a little more faster so I trained him in pace and acceleration for a while.

Agreed. In the general training, I rotate every few weeks. And then for Individual, I set them to train for that specific position, or a specific attribute for that tactic specific position that they are lacking. For example, in your tactic, your LW is an Inside forward. So, in individual training, the starting LW's individual training will be set to Inside Forward.

Archived