ri916's FM15 Youth Academy Challenge

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cd-alfaro1.jpg

C.D. Alfaro

I've decided to start my adventure in Spain (reload date is 10 July, so holiday to 9 July). There's quite a lot of choice as a fair few teams get promoted, most have around 12 players however. There were some 'larger' clubs I chose to ignore as I think Alfaro has enough players to scrape through one season as they are and I quite fancy the challenge of taking a complete unknown up rather than another team fallen on hard times (I want all of the glory!) and well, I will be top of the league for a few minutes at least!

Club facilities - could do with some investment. However the relatively small stadium suggests this may be a very long term goal! The stadium looks like is could be expanded given there's only a few bushes in the way..!

Squad - the squad is actually pretty well rounded with a fair bit of cover on the wings and full back. I won't struggle for a 'keeper either as all three are pretty good with the younger having 5 star potential according to my newly instated Ass Man. The 17 year olds also have good potential so I'm feeling cautiously optimistic. However a complete lack of cover at CB and CM is worrying and I will be retraining players!

My profile

I've got a coach, physio and eventually and Ass Man on board. Given I'm from Liverpool and a lifelong supporter I couldn't resist the chance at bringing in Ronnie Rosenthal as a scout for next opposition despite some more qualified individuals.

I do have a couple of early questions - my last FM edition was FM12 and I tend to play CM9798 when bored so bare with me! - what should we be looking for for the HOYD role in terms of attributes. Guessing working with youngsters is obviously key, but does he train the youths? Should I be looking at JPA JPP? Not sure what role he plays tbh. And is going in for my own qualifications allowed under challenge rules? My stats are terrifying and I think I'd struggle to layout cones on the training field effectively.

Wish me luck! I'll be making slow progress on the save due to work/family! So much easier a few years ago!

Dulwich Hamlet - Season 1 Review (2015/16)

yr87C2z.jpg

League Table | League Positions Graph | Squad Stats | Transfers | Finances | Seasons Records

Competitions

Conference South : 17th - Results 1 | Results 2

Season Review

All in all a very good season of avoiding relegation and consolidating ourselves in the league. We spent the season counter attacking and trying out various formations and set-ups, never really settling on anything.

We started out as expected, struggling. We lost our first two league games and finally picked up the first win in game #5. Several times during the year we had rough patches without picking up any points, but these were tempered by the occasional run of form.

Thankfully after the first couple of months we were never truly in relegation danger, so that worry was never at the fore.

Youth Intake

A mediocre first youth intake. Four tagged, but it did very little to address our defensive personnel issues.

Joe Cole (YP 01A) - A slow, one-footed striker who thankfully has decent finishing and great teamwrk/work rate to redeeem himself! Can apparently drop back to cover at DC, but with Tackling (2), Marking (3) and Heading (4) issues I hope I never have too.

Anthony Prosser (YP 01B) - Standard youth goalkeeper, with decent potential

Martin Day (YP 01C) - Central midfielder, with a little versatily about him.

Nickson Roberts (YP 01D) - Another slow forward, but this time one who can play out wide as well.

Miscellaneous

We are slowly losing 5-10k a week, which completely blocked every attempt I made to have the board update / improve things. I finally got them to increase Junior Coaching during my contract negotiations, so there is that!

The whole season we played a counter attacking strategy. We also started out playing pretty much Route One ball, due to our lack of skill and the terrible pitch (I do not recall a press conference without the visiting manager bitching about it!). We gradually came down to just 'direct', but I am hoping to install a little more actual football next year!

Trophy Cabinet

* Consolidate in the league, aiming for solid mid table

* Settle on an approach

Trophy Cabinet

what should we be looking for for the HOYD role in terms of attributes. Guessing working with youngsters is obviously key, but does he train the youths? Should I be looking at JPA JPP? Not sure what role he plays tbh. And is going in for my own qualifications allowed under challenge rules? My stats are terrifying and I think I'd struggle to layout cones on the training field effectively.

Personally, I like my HOYD to have JPP and Works With Youngsters as their primary stats. Followed by JPA.

After that, I always like to have the with a solid DDM for coaching purposes (Determination, Discipline and Motivating) and then an area of coaching they are not terrible in (they are able to help coach the youth team).

One last factor I let influence me is their personality. It has been mentioned before that it has a very small influence on the personalities of kids they select for the youth intake.

Now, starting out beggars cannot be chosers, so good luck :)

(My HOYD in the first year had a 3 for WWY - has was a stop gap until I could find someone better).

I was playing dafues, but I can't stop wanting to do this challenge. So I'm starting up now. Still a bit unsure what country I'll chose, but I'll post it in a bit! :)

Btw, ri916. In the opening post you state that we should tick "Add key staff", but it's really untick "Do not Add Key Staff". Just letting you know :)

Well, I went back to a place I've been before. Belgium is my destination. My profile and information. I've taken over Liège and hopefully I can lead them to glory. This is the full squad and I'm sure you can all see the weaknesses of the squad. This should be fun.

Edit: But this should help out. And this of course!

Whoa! I like my board!

As far as the HOYD goes, as with all staff, if you can manage to get someone foreign that's always a bonus as it increases your chances of getting kids from another country. This is especially a bonus in the smaller nations that don't have great youth ratings of their own. I believe someone did a test and found that multiple staff members from the same country don't increase the benefit, so try to set up a united nations (probably easier once you reach the top division and can recruit more widely)!

Other than that, not convinced the stats on him make a huge difference to the intakes - certainly your youth recruitment, national youth rating and club rep all matter more. I do try to get someone with a preferred formation somewhat like what I'm playing in the hope that he'll bring in more positionally suitable talent, but I have no idea if it helps any.

Anyway good luck bl0u6344 and XaW, and well done Braumiller on survival - I like Joe Cole if you can get his heading up, but I have a soft spot for a target man, no idea if that works on this version though. :)

Jambo 98 - Youth Challenge Attempt 1 - Scotland - Cove Rangers

cove.jpg

Season 2

Manager Profile

The Competitions

Division - Scottish League 2

Final Position - 6th

Past Postions - Link

Challenge Cup - Knocked out round 1 by Peterhead

League Cup - Knocked out round 1 by Rangers

Scottish Cup - Knocked out round 5 by Celtic (entered at round 2)

The Season Summary

League

I hoped to consolidate this year. With none of the youth intake looking like they were ready to make an imediate different, improvements were going to be minimal. On the flip side, we dont have many ageing players and a couple of the existing first team were young enough to still improve. We did lose one of our best players in Chris Clark, who refused to sign a new contract and left us before the season start which was a blow. We were a little short on midfield options but did have one first team reserve midfielder so i wasnt forced into using youth off the bat.

The season started unexpectedly well. Again we won our opening fixture but this time it wasnt followed by a tank. We went unbeaten through our first 8 matches to sit up in the play off positions. We did then hit a mid season slump as the lack of quality/depth in the squad showed us up. We dropped away from playoff contention by the turn of the year, but were still never in any danger of being bottom 2.

We played out the last few months in a bit of a mid table battle for 6th/7th/8th and a late surge took us up to the top of that mini group for a highly satisfying 6th place finish. We didnt change our tactics much, sticking with a bit of kick and rush. Feels like if i do want to make the next step, might need to focus on some tactical development.

Cups

Well well well. We actually had a cup run, in the Scottish cup. We beat Threave, then Clyde, then Championship side Alloa. This got a a dream cup draw against Celtic, but really annoyingly we were drawn at home. If we had got them away, the income would have kept us afloat for years i suspect! We ended up getting blootered 9 nil by them anyway.......

POTY (top 3 chosen arbitrarily by me)

Patrick Martin - Our second striker from last year took the limelight this year. 27 goals in all competitions, and at 20 he might still grow. Took over from Park as our main man and will hopefully keep producing for a couple of years at least to fire us up a level

Daniel Park - Pushed into the shadows a bit by Martin, but still hit an impressive 23 goals to compliment his strike partner. Safe to say that goals from up top are not an issue for us, and at 26 Park shouldnt drop off any time soon.

Raymond Jellema - Seems strange to highlight our keeper when we ship a lot of goals, but he actually played very well and kept us from conceding even more. The fact he got 5 assists probably shows just how much long ball football we play....:D

The Youths

The Intake

Youth Intake Season 2 - Managed to get a player who might be ready to contribute right away which is good. Right back isnt exactly a key position but none the less, good to get a bit of quality. Most of the other prospects are no better than borderline or squad fillers, but will tag another anyway :)

The New Tags

YP02a - Danny Gilmour - RIght back who is already my best option in that postion, although Ass Man only rates him as good for the league below us. Will try and develop him to give us some assists from deep.

YP02b - Fraser Ward - Borderling prospect, but we dont have any backup in the wide areas in the squad, and he has the basics so he will get some bench time at least in the next season

The Tag Updates

YP01a - Jamie Campbell - The form of my 2 established strikers meant his chances were a bit limited, and when he did get them he didnt exactly set the world on fire. Had to wait until the final game of the season for his first goal for the club, but will continue to by 3rd striker and will try and rotate him in more to help his development

YP01b - Jamie Scott - Played a reasonable number of times for his first season, and didnt disgrace himself. More training up needed, but we are really weak in his position so hoping he can emerge.

The State of the Club

Finances

End of season picture - A little worse than last year, as we lost more during the season. Wages increased very slightly so not really sure how we ended up losing more. The good old "other costs" seemed to cause part of it:rolleyes: end of season prize money kept us just out of the black, but a big away cup tie would surely be welcome.....

Facilities

Current facilities picture - Same as before

Changes from last year - None. Board twice turned down my request for us to go Professional, which is probably fair given where we are.

Transfers

Transfer History - As always, clean and only one player out this year

Career Summary

[b][u]Season          Division                    Final Position           Cups                    Achievements[/u][/b]
  1             Scottish league 2              9th                     Nowt                   Avoided Relegation
  2             Scottish league 2              6th                     Sc Cup 5th rd        Avoided Relegation

Jambo98 looking good already mate. Making some improvements must feel good. I am currently battling through a torrid first season with Clachnacuddin but i'm only at December. It looks as though I'm gonna finish bottom and hopefully i manage to get the win in the playoffs. Otherwise i'll be back to the start :(

Keep it up bro, i'll be following your progress with interest.

Thanks Rhoden - Keep going with Clach. The first season i was saved by Annan being completely inept. They have now gone down in season 2 as well. Really needs an old firm away cup tie to give me finances to get an upgrade and hopefully kick on, other wise i htink at least another 2 seasons in this division.

Lyra - Season 16/17

logolyra100j1.gif

Transfers

League

Exact same points as last year. We started brightly with 6 wins in a row and things were looking great but after that we never got going. After the initial 6 wins it took us 19 (!) more games until we managed to win 2 in a row. Despite the mixed result we finished on a respectable 3rd place and once again qualified for playoff. Sadly Woluwe-Zaventem were too good and our season ended with a 2-5 loss in the playoff quarter-finals.

Cups:

Made it to the 5th round (starting in 3rd) in the Belgian cup and lost to second division-side WS Bruxelles. The difference between the second and third division seems to be quite steep...

Finances are looking very bad. Without a big cup-draw we make a constant 30k loss each month and that's while using only 50% of the wage budget. Not sure how to fix this.

Top players:

1. Alexandre Lanclas: For the second consecutive season voted Third Division player of the year. 19 goals in 37 games.

2. Alexandre Lambert: A good season from the central midfielder. Also scored 13 goals during the season.

3. Kevin Lespagne: My first choice left-winger. Good age as well.

Youth intake:

Err... keepers? 8 of them and not one with a potential to even be a decent third-division-player. 2 promising players tagged.

Ben Van De Weyer (17A): A right-winger with potential. Sadly he will have to compete with Lanclas but he will get his chances.

Simon Roger Ndongala (17B): A promising striker with good finishing for his age. He will play a bit.

Previously tagged youth:

Lahcen Saidi (16A): 16 appearances this season. Had tutouring from my first-choice leftback which helped him nicely. His playing time will only increase.

Goals before season:

*Safe mid-table -Success

*Upgrade something - Fail

Next season:

*Safe mid-table

*Upgrade something

Now the small squad are taking it's toll. For my next match I use a central defender on right back and my subs are 2 goalkeepers, a central defender in poor match shape and a half-injured midfielder.... I can't wait untill my youth intake comes along.

Edit: Oh, and my only left back are now out injured for 6 to 8 months...

Thanks Rhoden - Keep going with Clach. The first season i was saved by Annan being completely inept. They have now gone down in season 2 as well. Really needs an old firm away cup tie to give me finances to get an upgrade and hopefully kick on, other wise i htink at least another 2 seasons in this division.
Same here mate. I'm thinking it could take me at least 4-5 season to climb out of this division. And I've actually taken to watching the cup draws with a bit of excitement as I pray for an away day at Ibrox or Parkhead. However i got both Hearts & Dundee Utd in cups this year which went some way towards helping with the bills.I'm hoping to tie up my first season tonight after work and hopefully get my update posted so after.

Now the small squad are taking it's toll. For my next match I use a central defender on right back and my subs are 2 goalkeepers, a central defender in poor match shape and a half-injured midfielder.... I can't wait untill my youth intake comes along.

Edit: Oh, and my only left back are now out injured for 6 to 8 months...

Ouch, I've just finished pre-season - only managed 5 games in the end due to worries about injuries. Got through with only 3 injuries all of 3 weeks or less thankfully. Had to use my sub goalkeepers as substitutes for my midfielders to make sure their fitness didn't get destroyed!

We did it! I finally survived a season, even if it was by falling only one spot above the relegation zone. Also the game doesn't mess around with people who are silly enough to not play by youth challenge rules - one transfer from before I arrived, he broke his leg in the first match. That'll show him.

What Worked

• Our start - racking up 20 points from the first 10 games meant we had the buffer we needed to ride all the way home.
  • Matty Waters - Was patchy and faded with the rest of the team, but without his 18 goals we would have gone down. Nobody else scored more than 7.
  • The cups - No great money spinners, but a couple of mini runs was nice to have.

What Didn't

• Our finish - One point from the last 11 games made what should have been a comfortable mid table result into a brush with relegation.
  • Mateusz Kuzimski - For a player who should be our star and is rated good enough for the division above, 4 league goals is woeful. Played him out wide and gave him time to learn the position, but never kicked on. Will need to rework our tactics to get him firing.
  • Defense against crosses - 32 out of the 56 goals from open play came from crosses: yes, this is sadly post patch! Going to need to figure out how to defend against them.

Youth Intake

A good crop, and we need it, as there are a few aging players we'll need to replace sooner rather than later.

• (16a) Adam James - STC/AMC - I like it very much when my best potential youth is consistent and good in big matches! Scored a goal already too, but probably needs another year before he's ready to feature regularly.
  • (16b) Adrian Girling - GK - Always good to get a keeper early on, although he's still more potential than reality right now, will be a long term project.
  • (16c) Darren Rae - ST - Big lump of a target man type. My soft spot for this type of player makes me want to figure out how to use one if I can - maybe Kuzimski is better in that role too.
  • (16d) Aidan Girling - DC/DR/DM/MC - My early favourite from the intake, versatile and already good enough to get games. Probably pushes our captain out of the side at DC, who is 33 and only getting slower.
  • (16e) Miles Harding - AML/ML/MR/AMC - One of those players that can run but can't really do much else. In the past I've found these to be more miss than hit.
  • (16f) Drew Cross - AMR/MR/AMC/ST - With a name like that it's pity his crossing isn't better ... he may actually make a better striker than winger.

Of course the question now is how the pieces fit ... lots of attacking players in that lot, to add to a side that already has young talent in that area but really needs more down back.

Next Season

• Stay up again
  • Work out how to get Kuzimski playing to his ability
  • Sneak the kids into games when possible

Also the game doesn't mess around with people who are silly enough to not play by youth challenge rules - one transfer from before I arrived, he broke his leg in the first match. That'll show him.

Did the defender have ri916 on the back of his shirt by any chance?! Good season though, shame about the finish! I like the look of Adam James in particular, a good crop of talent and versatility - exactly what is needed in this challenge. Are you going to be struggling for defenders since only one came up?

Ouch, I've just finished pre-season - only managed 5 games in the end due to worries about injuries. Got through with only 3 injuries all of 3 weeks or less thankfully. Had to use my sub goalkeepers as substitutes for my midfielders to make sure their fitness didn't get destroyed!

Yeah, I've only had to use my goalkeeper as a midfielder once so far, but I have used a central defender in most other positions due to the small squad. I do have my youth intake now though, so that helps out with filling up the squad. Got a couple of talents, but I kept almost everyone just to fill out the squad. Should be finished with the season soon, so I'll post more then.

Shakes, good to see you stay up. Girling seems very talented for that level and seem to most key attributes high enough. Kuzimski's stats looks crazy good for that level, you have any thoughts on why he don't preform better for you?

Nice work on staying up Shakes - And a nice versatile intake there. The big targetman highlights that there are still some weird regen issues in FM15 - How would a targetman with a bravery of "1" ever happen........ :D

This type of goal seems to be quite common now. I hate it so much when its my goalkeeper...

It's actually the first time I've seen it in FM15, but I might be (un)lucky.

Edit: Saw a post in the bug forum about it, so I thought I'd post my pkm in there as well, since it seems like SI wants to fix it.

Good sounding season there druvo, but none of your image links open i dont think. They all go to a 404?

I've another 4hrs on a train now, so season 3 should get progressed this arvo :D

Hmm.. anyone else having trouble with my image links?

XaW - Liège - Derde Klasse A - 2015/16

Our first season i Belgium went far better than expected. When I first looked at the squad we had some serious holes, including only 1 left back and 1 left winger. The first thing that happened was that my only left back got injured were out for the most part of the season. Since I expected some injuries my hopes were survival and the ability to start with 11 players this whole season. Luckily we managed both, though starting with 11 players were the hardest part. Some of my players have been playing in some very different positions than they are used to, but we managed it quite good throughout the season. When I finally got my youth intake it helped out a lot, but I had to throw a couple of the youngster straight to the wolves just to field a team in some matches. I did well all through the season, and was hoping to push for playoff towards the end, a 4 match loss streak ended that hope. Still, we managed to turn it around winning the 3 last matches to end in a very respectable 5th place.

In the Cofidis Cup we started in the 3rd round. We beat out HO Heide and Torhout before losing to Heist in the 5th round.

Financially we are losing a lot of money. I managed to go in a course and get my National C badge, as well as improving the youth facilities and youth coaching before the cash flow ran dry. Don't quite know how we are ever going to change this without a promotion soon.

Youth players:

New Players:

This years youth intake was quite good, but not many spectacular players. I still gave a lot of them YP-tags, but also gave some more players contract to see if they can convince me to keep them further.

Jean-Yves Bourgeois (YP1a) - Report - Versatile player who have already gotten some matches for the first team. High hopes for this kid. Coaches now thinks he might play in the top tier.

Geoffrey Texier (YP1b) - Report - Very promising attacking midfielder. While I don't use one in my formation, I'll still fit this guy into my team.

Danko Tasic (YP1c) - Report - Very happy to see a decent left back come through. Not the brightest talent, but a much needed one.

Jaud Kalenga (YP1d) - Report - Decent central defender.

Nathan Gillet (YP1e) - Report - Promising striker. Still a bit doubtful if he will be good enough.

Season	|     League	      |     Position	|    Europe	|    Top scorer   	|    Achievments
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015/16	|  Derde Klasse A     |	     5th	|      N/A	|  Moussa Diallo (23)	|   Solid first season

Well that came out of nowhere! So I guess I have a Swiss affiliate, I guess the rules are to not play players if they send me some? Or can I refuse to let them join?

Should be able to refuse - When they try and send on loan you are always asked to "confirm" and you can just cancel at that stage :)

druvo - Wierdly your links now work for me, not sure what was going on earlier!

Should be able to refuse - When they try and send on loan you are always asked to "confirm" and you can just cancel at that stage :)

Yeah, just been such a long time since I had an affiliate that I was unsure. I'll cancel everything they try to send me then, thanks! :)

bl0u6344 - I have two good young centre backs (one who played DM last year) in addition to Girling, as well as some aging backup and some youth that was there when I took over but not really ready. But full back, particularly left back, I don't have a lot.

Jambo98 - Yeah, low bravery is a long running problem with regens. I don't mind that you get strange combinations of attributes though, it's part of the charm of this challenge trying to make it work.

XaW - I wish I knew why Kuzimski wasn't scoring, he seems too good not to! I think he needs to go up top, probably as part of a strike partnership. I also had a goal keeper out of position goal like that video, but from past the half way line as the keeper shanked a free kick! Good season in Belgium, Bourgeois looks very well rounded, how do you plan on using him?

I wonder if the solution to not having full backs and wanting to play 2 up top is the 3-5-2 that worked for me in FM13? It was awful in FM14 though, and with my defending crosses problem I'm a bit scared to try only one wide player per side. :lol:

Also, can anyone tell me the league system with the fewest number of league matches per season?

As Braumiller says, Sweden has the lowest (some of the lower levels have only 22-24 league matches a season). But it has 30 at the top tier - where if you're going to complete the challenge you'll probably spend the most time - which is tied with Portugal and Russia, so those are options too if you want to minimize games. Portugal also has a league cup over the xmas break with a round robin group stage of 3 matches, but you can just throw the kids in it and not take it too seriously, as boards rarely care about it.

Youth Intake season 02 is in, and I want to brag about how awesome it is!

But I cannot.... :(

I desperately need an injection of pace throughout the side, and only 1 youth has double digits for pace (and he is never going to make it, and his pace is only 10!).

I just had youth intake 3 in, and whilst its not a shout from the roof tops type, its my best so far of the 3 years.........only problem is that im going to be lucky to see any of it. Going to have to rely on a playoff to stay alive in this attempt :(

XaW - I wish I knew why Kuzimski wasn't scoring, he seems too good not to! I think he needs to go up top, probably as part of a strike partnership. I also had a goal keeper out of position goal like that video, but from past the half way line as the keeper shanked a free kick! Good season in Belgium, Bourgeois looks very well rounded, how do you plan on using him?

I'm not quite sure how to use him best, since the tactic I've finally managed to get some sort of success with is a flat 4-4-2. I think he could fit into the holding central midfielder spot with a little improvements. Currently I'm working on his strength, as I hate having weak players in the middle of the pitch. One problem though, I think he understand his own skill as he already have asked for more game time. He did have 2 assists on his first match from start, so I'll guess he has a point though.

XaW - nice season! Really like the look of YP1a in the DM spot :thup:

Yeah, too bad I don't use a DM in my tactic. I'm playing with the idea of changing tactics to fit him in better, but I'm lousy at making tactics and I've finally made one who kinda works. I might try creating one since I lost my best striker during the summer (he wouldn't sign a new conctract and the fans hate me for it, not much I could do tbh) and I only have 2 established strikers left along with YP1e. I have a couple of good wingers though, so I might go for a 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation with wingers, but I like having my wide midfielders help out the defense to stop those crosses.

Anyway, I'll play around with it a bit to see if I can work him in as a DM, or if he'll be a CM.

Jambo 98 - Youth Challenge Attempt 1 - Scotland - Cove Rangers

cove.jpg

Season 3

Manager Profile

The Competitions

Division - Scottish League 2

Final Position - 10th (survived via playoff)

Past Postions - Link

Challenge Cup - Knocked out round 2 by Morton (entered at Round 1)

League Cup - Knocked out round 1 by Livingston

Scottish Cup - Knocked out round 2 by Rothes (entered at Round 2)

The Season Summary

League

Wow, i did not see that coming :( After a couple of progressive seasons, this season we were absolutely woeful. One of the worst FM seasons i have managed. We lost our opening game which set the tone, and although we won 2 of the next 4, we then went on a terrible run. 4pts from the next 18 games meant that by mid January we were a staggering 15pts from the team above us. Well and truley adrift.

It was hard to know what happened. We didnt lose any players from the first team or bench over the close season, initially i had not changed tactics, although i started to make tweaks as the bad run went on, even going to wholesale changes to try and stop the rot but nothing worked. Eventually we picked up a little after Jan, and went on a mini run, 3 wins and 2 draws from 5 games got us as close as 6pts from 9th place but another mini slump condemned us to the playoff with still 4 games to play.

Ultimately, the playoff was a non event as we thrashed Annan 5 nil in the first leg to secure safety. Second leg was a more standard one nil affair, but at least we survive. It looks like i have survived the sack as well.

A lot of work needed to avoid a repeat next year. The one major change between season 2 and 3 was that i finally installed/downloaded the hotfix (gee thanks SI:rolleyes:) so seems like my basic tactic now doesnt work. Will need to be more tactically aware next year

Cups

Aye, everyone is a comedian eh.........f'ing Rothes...........

POTY (top 3 chosen arbitrarily by me)

We were so absolutely woeful that i can only bring myself to pick out one semi decent player:

Patrick Martin - Amidst the dross, he at least scored some 13 goals and managed to keep his rating close to 7. Is now approaching the 50 goal mark for his career at age 21

The Youths

The Intake

Youth Intake Season 3 - Now this is an interesting looking intake. No rented mule quite yet, but a solid bunch of higher potential than i am used to (the best seem to be rated as potential for "good league one"). Also one who has a starting level possibly good enough to contribute, and in a position i lack quality.

The New Tags

YP03a - Steven O'Neill - A technically good CM, and since we dont have a single first team AM type player, he brings me options. The good first touch/technique/flair stand out for this level

YP03b - Michael Scott - Another striker, hard working and decent speed for this level. Actually got thrown in for 5 starts at the season end and scored 3 goals which is a great start. Will compete with YP01a for a starting spot next year

The Tag Updates

YP01a - Jamie Campbell - Failed to kick on when given a chance early season and as a result came off the bench more often than he started. Needs to improve to start to fulfill his potential, with YP03b now breathing down his neck

YP01b - Jamie Scott - Part of our woeful early season defence so found himself again on the bench a lot, might be time to sink or swim for him next season as our defence is clearly awful overall

YP02a - Danny Gilmour - Our established RB is actually rated our best current player, meaning Gilmour had to settled for a backup role. Didnt do great (no one did.....) but he might jump to the starting spot next year with the other lad going to left back

YP02b - Fraser Ward - Played the most of any of our youths, due to injuries and no cover in his position. Didnt exactly set the heather alight, but was no worse than anyone else. Will continue to see game time with no new wingers arriving in the intak of any quality.

The State of the Club

Finances

End of season picture - Now starting to look bleak. Costs again up, with some wage rises and bigger squad and also more random other costs. Offset by less prize money means we are now firmly in the red. We had take over rumours in March but it fell through. Need a cash injection somehow.

Facilities

Current facilities picture - Same old

Changes from last year - None, board were having none of it with our bad finances :(

Transfers

Transfer History - Nothing doing as always, with only a 5th choice striker being released

Career Summary

[b][u]Season          Division                    Final Position           Cups                    Achievements[/u][/b]
  1             Scottish league 2              9th                     Nowt                   Avoided Relegation
  2             Scottish league 2              6th                     Scot cup Rd5         Avoided Relegation
  3             Scottish league 2              10th                   Nowt                    Avoid Relegation (just)

Wow, tough season there, Jambo98! Screenshot to YP2a goes to YP1a. O'Neill looks like a good prospect. Good luck next season!

Cheers - have fixed that now :) Just need to figure out how to play O'Neill now, i play flat 442 so probably just the more attacking of 2 CM sounds a plan.

I cannot stop leaking goals like crazy. After last seasons debacle, i am now 7 games into season 4, have lost 6 in a row conceding 22 goals in those 6 games.........wow. It doesnt seem to matter what i try :(

yeah at the moment each match i watch reminds me why i originally said i wouldnt be starting a long term save until the second or third patch comes out :( The ME is utterly horrible in parts at LLM. Will plow own but its taking away my enjoyment of this save a lot.

I am getting involved in this challenge again this year, currently holidaying in England. I lost my way eventually in Holland last year and I hope by starting earlier with everyone else, I can at least dream of completing it before FM 2016!

Really enjoying reading everyone else's updates so far, so keep up the good work.

Well, hopefully 3rd time is a charm, and I can get some good luck in Germany.

Neue_Viktoria_zpsc73dee4e.png~original

Of course, this means we have somewhat noisy neighbours in the form of FC Köln

Manager Profile

Club Profile

Club Information

Squad

Broadly speaking, due to the age restrictions in Germany that's who I'm stuck with for the next 2 years. If I recall, youngsters tend to come at 14/15 and aren't allowed to play to 17.

​Maidstone United

175px-Maidstone_United_Crest_New.jpg

Right, I have chosen Maidstone United. I had no preference going in and have chosen a team with a capable squad. Of course this comes with a big downside in that the season expectations are top half finish. I fully expect to refer back to this point in the near future when I am explaining my downfall. But for now, onwards and upwards!

My Information

General Information

Club Background

The Starting Squad

Archived