[FM14] Progress is man's ability to complicate simplicity

kris0710

Been here before i know...

PzdSlyQ.png

Determined to make this my last save of FM14 and with that in mind i will start July 2013 at a club of my choosing from one of the nine leagues i have loaded from around Europe. I would ideally like to start unemployed but have had four or five saves where i have been sacked after taking charge mid season within about 15 games despite improving where the club were. This i want to avoid as getting a new job has been near impossible.

The Leagues

Belgium

England

France

Germany

Holland

Italy

Portugal

Spain

Scotland

The Manager

Petter Hummel

A 30 year old Former Semi Pro from Kristiansand, Norway. After a poor end to his semi pro career Petter made the journey across the North Sea to Scotland/England.

VHwyiUW.png

Using good old Wikipedia i chose a club who plays in Scottish League Two on the basis of three different points.

1. It is the closest club across the water to where Petter was born, a place where the Norwegian washed up searching for better times.

2. The club are actually based in England but play in the Scottish league system, a quiz question for many a year

3. Finally when looking at Wikipedia i read the ground they play at to be Sheffield Park, not Shielfield Park. As a few of you know i very recently lost my Grandad and with his surname being Sheffield this feels the right place to start.

esu9o9l.png

Next up is an introduction to Berwick Rangers Football Club

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

esu9o9l.png

Berwick Rangers Football Club

Scottish League Two

Club Background

j2fgp0s.png

Finances

Balance - ÂŁ134k

Wage Budget - ÂŁ2,615

Wage Spend - ÂŁ1,785

Transfer Budget - ÂŁ20k

Squad

Having assessed the squad in terms of numbers we are looking good. I like to have a 22 man squad and currently there are 26 on the books. There are four i want to get rid of from the start and i am looking for a new centre back. There are another six players that i am happy to start the season with but will look to offload and replace with better quality.

Backroom Staff

We are a little short in staff and i have made that worse by sacking Head of Youth Development and Chief Scout. Replacing the scout is my first job and adding a couple of coaches is a must. As there is no players in either my Reserve or U19 squad i am in no rush to bring in a new Head of Youth, that is more likely to happen later in the season.

nNUo1dm.png

Scottish League Two

2013/14

Pre Season

Transfers

8yNPSla.png

One players joins, David Lilley. The experienced 35 year old centre defender also takes up the role as U19 coach for this season. Played 21 times in the Scottish Championship for Airdrie last season so i expect him to do a job in League Two. Four players attracted no interest so i decided to offer them mutuel termination. It cost just ÂŁ4k to get rid of them all which is decent business.

Results

ylt2Ey5.png

I have overseen the final three friendlies that saw League One side Forfar beaten with some to spare, Musselburgh snatched a draw with a late leveller and Sunderland won easily with Craig Gardner and Connor Wickham amongst the scorers.

Challenge Cup 1st Round Draw

zpk0Q3x.png

Not a great draw, a trip to Championship side Morton will be my first competitive game in charge.

League Cup 1st Round Draw

KWQVrr8.png

Another trip to another Championship side awaits in my second game in charge.

Don't know how you do it Kris0710. Really admire your approach to the game. Look forward to reading along.

I am just some kind of something :cool:

Hopefully this will run and run, keeping some interest along the way.

nNUo1dm.png

Scottish League Two

2013/14

August

Kx51TiG.png

A solid but somewhat disappointing start to life with Berwick Rangers. A goal up at East Stirlingshire we looked all set for a decent win away from home until the 87th minute and the home side scored with only their second effort on target. My first home match with Albion Rovers we raced 2-0 up inside the opening half an hour and again looked on course for a first win. A header from a corner just past the hour mark gave Albion hope and yet again a goal inside the last five minutes denied us three points. We finally broke the draw bug with victory Elgin City. Another early goal put us in front before Elgin drew level. Two quick goals early in the second half put us firmly in control and for once we held strong late on for the win.

H8SIyPu.png

Scottish Challenge Cup 1st Round

Vob9yWr.png

A very spirited display at Championship side end with an extra time defeat. We fell behind after 25 minutes but drew level within two minutes. Forty seconds after the break we took the lead then the home side levelled the tie quickly after. Both sides had chances to win it before Morton clinched the decisive goal in the 97th minute.

Scottish League Cup 1st Round

d2gfDuQ.png

Not as good a showing at Dumbarton but again no shame in losing to a side two leagues above. We were 2-0 down inside 20 minutes and were well out of our depth. Another goal straight after the break gave us hope before sub Colin Nish sealed the home sides win.

Scottish Cup 2nd Round Draw

sIWASYm.png

A home draw with the only side we have beat so far this season, happy.

nNUo1dm.png

Scottish League Two

2013/14

September

vY0kVL8.png

This month has given more questions than answers in terms of tactics so moving forward will see a couple of positional tweaks. The league is very tight at the moment so winning and losing two each isnt all that bad really. We started with a tight but deserved win over leaders Stirling before the same eleven started at Clyde and were dreadful. Two goals came from defensive mistakes but even without those the home side looked dangerous. Faced 4th placed Peterhead next and another close game saw us come out with the points to move into the top four again. Twice we led against Queen's Park only to throw it away in the second half.

vvrn250.png

Scottish Cup 2nd Round

y70hYbK.png

A goal three minutes from time ensured that we are out of all three cups by the end of September. No excuses now as we have just the league to concentrate on.

nNUo1dm.png

Scottish League Two

2013/14

October

HlE51Vh.png

A solid month where for once it was us with the luck going into the final few minutes of matches. Annan were beaten with a last gasp strike from Lavery before top scorer O'Brien hit a late leveller against Montrose. Those two were again on target against East Stirlingshire along with sub Ross Gray. A few more months like this would be very welcome.

zK4LdZb.png

Award

1yviJjl.png

The first of many i hope. :)

nNUo1dm.png

Scottish League Two

2013/14

November

3FefEGv.png

A bit of a strange month during November saw us win two and lose two. A chance to go joint top was lost with a defeat against Albion Rovers. We were pretty poor and straight after the second goal, from a penalty, we got a goal back and i expected this to start a comeback. No. We had two long range efforts that flew wide as Albion held on rather easily. A trip to Stirling then saw us run riot with four goals without reply and a second successive 4-0 followed, this time Elgin giving us a battering in our own back yard. The month ended with Peterhead beaten 2-1 thanks to a Paul Currie double despite us going behind after three minutes.

fZU5d57.png

nNUo1dm.png

Scottish League Two

2013/14

December

9KLQt8E.png

A good enough month that started with us getting a goal with seven minutes left to draw with Clyde before away top away performance saw Queen's Park beaten 5-1. Came from behind to get a point with Annan after falling behind early on. The year closed with defeat as Montrose scored early and seemed happy to defend after that.

U3CJhnK.png

Half way through the season and just outside the Play Off positions. Not good enough for some though...

9SKpk6J.png

:thdn:

nNUo1dm.png

Scottish League Two

2013/14

January

XAWF6m1.png

Nit the most ideal of fixtures to kick off the New Year but i am happy enough with the points return. A game of few chances gave us our first 0-0 of the season at East Stirlingshire before we came from behind to beat Albion Rovers with a quickfire double. The came matches against 1st and 2nd in the table so to take three points keeps us well in the mix. Stirling were beaten with a single goal before Elgin clinched the points with a goal early in the second half. We were very good defensively and the midfield also played well but up front with two strikers we were dreadful. Could have played until March without scoring.

mUHLw3v.png

February isn't any easier, we face 4th and 5th in the first two games of the month. Six points there and a play off place will look very secure.

Transfers

This month has seen striker Josh Morris leave with his contract up on Jan 1st. He failed to feature in any game since i arrived. Another frontman Scott Dalziel joined Auchinleck on a free too. He played seven times, two as a sub and scored just once against Annan just before Christmas. The loan of Dunlop was also terminated. Striker Darren Lavery has requested a move and since then has agreed to join Airdrie at the end of the season.

Coming in this month is three players.

Gregor Fotheringham - Young defender was released by Rangers at the end of last year. Comes in as Dunlops replacement.

David McKenna - New frontman had most recently been at League One side Brechin and joins to bolster the attack after losing two players.

Greg Cameron - Another who most recently has been with Brechin. Has some Scottish Premiership experience with Dundee United.

nNUo1dm.png

Scottish League Two

2013/14

February

RgaKd0E.png

A difficult month on paper and thats how it proved to be. Started well enough with a win over Peterhead whose late goal set up a tense finish but we were well worth the win. A poor game at Clyde saw the home side run out winners with an early goal in each half. A red card for Stephen Tulloch did nothing to help our cause. Another poor show at home to Queen's Park brought us just a point before defeat at Annan who were sat bottom of the table.

u1zu8yG.png

Still very close with ten games to go.

Award

BHeoRsq.png

Board Meeting

mSdCkoY.png

plJwwky.png

Never a good sign after you have just signed a new player.

nNUo1dm.png

Scottish League Two

2013/14

March

gWEdcg2.png

Not a good month again as we are trying our best to throw away a top four finish. Montrose gave us a good beating on home soil before we put in a good show at home to East Stirlingshire. Two goals inside 25 minutes put us firmly in control and things were the same against Albion Rovers but two headers in the final sixteen minutes meant the points the shared. An entertaining 0-0 followed with Elgin, both sides hitting the woodwork twice and three goals in the game ruled out. A late goal from former Berwick manager Colin Cameron gave Stirling the points in a five goal thriller.

NI9pwgW.png

Five games to go, two points from the Play Off's. A big April to come.

Youth Candidates

yHLHkkT.png

William Cooper

Richard Booker

Craig Kitson

nNUo1dm.png

Scottish League Two

2013/14

April

6cMuOvB.png

Rather surprising i was offered a new deal despite spending most of the season 'Insecure'

Results

o0OsKZs.png

One win from four and the season we have come up short, badly. Two goals in a short space saw off Peterhead and from there i expected us to go on and clinch a top four place. But no, Queen's Park saw twice in the second half then Clyde saw two in the first half but we could only manage one goal back. A point against Annan should have been three after we led with just 11 minutes to play.

oKygSmm.png

Despite the poor form we still have a glimmer of hope.

Shock

wgeo3Jy.png

Two days before the final game 4th placed Stirling lost their manager for no apparent reason. :confused:

nNUo1dm.png

Scottish League Two

2013/14

May

QHQj2LM.png

Hardly a surprise that we choked. It mattered little as Stirling won their final game 5-2.

dkG8L9P.png

A poor season really. If i keep my job i intend to rip the squad apart and start a fresh. 10 first team players were released following the final game of the season as the rebuilding starts early.

zNUWQvP.png

2013/2014 Season

Belgian Pro League: Genk

Belgian Cup: Genk

Belgian Super Cup: Genk

English Premier League: Manchester United

English Championship: Nott'm Forest

English League One: Leyton Orient

English League Two: Chesterfield

English FA Cup: Tottenham

English Capital One Cup: Manchester United

English Community Shield: Manchester United

Johnstone's Paint Trophy: Gillingham

French Ligue 1: Valenciennes

French Ligue 2: Stade Malherbe Caen

French Cup: AS Monaco

French Coupe de la Ligue: PSG

French Champions Trophy: PSG

German First Division: Bayern Munich

German Second Division: Kaiserslautern

German Cup: Bayern Munich

German Super Cup: Bayern Munich

Dutch Eredivisie: Vitesse

Dutch Cup: PSV

Dutch Super Cup: Ajax

Italian Serie A: Juventus

Italian Serie B: Palermo

Italian Cup: Lazio

Italian Super Cup: Lazio

Portuguese Premier League: Benfica

Taca de Portugal: Benfica

Portuguese League Cup: Porto

Portuguese Supertaca: Porto

Scottish Premiership: Celtic

Scottish Championship: Cowdenbeath

Scottish League One: Rangers

Scottish League Two: Clyde

Scottish Cup: Celtic

Scottish League Cup: Dundee United

Scottish League Challenge Cup: Dundee

Spanish La Liga: Barcelona

Spanish adelante: Real Sporting

Spanish Second Division B1: Zamora

Spanish Second Division B2: Atletico Madrid 'B'

Spanish Second Division B3: Valencia Mestalla

Spanish Second Division B4: Cadiz

Spanish Cup: Real Madrid

Spanish Super Cup: Barcelona

Spanish Federation Cup: Lucena

European Champions League: Shakhtar

European Europa League: Barcelona

European Super Cup: Chelsea

European U19 Champions Cup: Arsenal U21's

Club World Championship: Bayern Munich

Youth Club Invitational: Inter Milan U19's

I am just as impressed with Shakhtar winning CL :o
That was impressive too. Been meaning to look more closely at how they do that actually.
How many threads does that make since Cambridge? :D
All that is important is that this is the last one. *cough cough*

56hD8ba.png

World Cup

Brazil 2014

sPBVuKS.png

Where to start with this one! England finished 2nd in Qualifying and beat Spain 4-3 over two legs, Welbeck (2), Defoe and Ashley Young with the goals. Topped Group H by beating Australia and Peru and drawing 0-0 with Italy. Amazingly scored all five pens to see of Greece then a Leighton Baines treble helped sink Chile! Rooney scored the only goal of the SF while Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain grabbed the winner in the Final.

I am just as impressed with Shakhtar winning CL :o

After getting drawn in a decent group with Benfica, Real Sociedad and PSV they topped it by winning 5 games, losing to Benfica away. Lost the first leg of 1st KO Round in Germany to Dortmund before a treble from Facundo Ferreyra won the 2nd leg with ease. Drew 1-1 at home to PSG in the QF 1st leg but a great second leg win, 4-2, put them into a SF with Chelsea. Game over after the first leg, 3-0 home winners and then lost the return 1-0 in London. Faced Bayern in the Final in what appears to have been a poor game the Ukrainians scored a winner deep into stoppage time through Bernard. Certainly didn't have an easy route to winning this.

nNUo1dm.png

Scottish League Two

2014/15

Pre Season

Board Expectations

Scottish League Two - Play Off's

William Hill Scottish Cup - 4th Round

Scottish Communities League Cup - 2nd Round

Ramsdens Challenge Cup - 2nd Round

My Expectations

Scottish League Two - Play Off's

William Hill Scottish Cup - 3rd Round

Scottish Communities League Cup - Be competitive

Ramsdens Challenge Cup - Be competitive

Transfers

NKX5Xao.png

A very busy summer in and out. Bare in mind 8 players were released in early May along with the three leavers from then. Coming in has also seen 9 players added to a new look squad.

Iain Campbell - Back up left back has played the last four seasons in Scottish League One with Forfar. Averaged 7.25 last season with 5 PoM awards in 24 appearances.

Ross McNeil - Will be fourth choice striker at the start of the season the 22 year old has yet to really start his career. Just one start and one sub app to his name.

Paul Gallacher - Played a big part for Albion Rovers in this division last season. Previously with Queen's Park before that.

Gary Thom - Dependable centre back with the added bonus of an eye for goal. Four goals in each of his last three seasons.

Brian Kerr - An experienced head who has played at the highest level in Scotland. A solid 30 games for league rivals Peterhead last year.

Chris Templeman - Another which masses of experience. May not have any pace but chipped in with 17 goals in 38 games for Scottish League One side Forfar makes the decision to sign him a no brainer.

Ivan D'Angelo - 24 year old Italian was unused in the Scottish Championship last season with Dunfermline. Could be a key player for us.

Alex Grier - Young back up joins from League rivals Queen's Park. Young and demands a cheap wage, ideal for a fourth choice CB.

Chris Smith - Delighted to have signed a rock at the back. Played marvellously when we faced Stirling three times last season and brings with him plenty of Championship and League One experience.

Ramsdens Challenge Cup 1st Round Draw

RLhXfRW.png

Another draw against Championship opponents.

Scottish Communities League Cup 1st Round Draw

iUIBNRx.png

A trip to Championship side Dundee is not easy at all.

Results

JrFGclf.png

Decent enough to raise morale at the club. Ready for the off now.

nNUo1dm.png

Scottish League Two

2014/15

August

g1yAEFJ.png

Two from three is not a bad start to the season. The old man of Berwick Chris Templeman starred with two headers in the opening game and it was him in target first against Montrose. By the hour mark we were 3-0 up and flying when it started to go wrong. A goal back then Tulloch red carded for bringing down the attacker on the edge of the box. As the free kick was missed and Montrose only scored once more i can be happy with that 'tactical' red card! Albion Rovers scored the only goal of the game with 14 minutes to go to take the points. A fair result despite us having more efforts they always looked very dangerous.

KG73wAX.png

Ramsdens Challenge Cup 1st Round

BLXymt3.png

A late own goal from debutant Thom put us out of the cup. A proud showing given the opposition.

Scottish Communities League Cup 1st Round

QaPRjcd.png

A shocking show but given we played 88 minutes with ten men away to a side two leagues above we can forget and move on quickly. Thom though will not be in plans for a while, a terrible first 92 minutes at the club.

William Hill Scottish Cup 2nd Round Draw

S2xnqhe.png

Winnable to say the least.

nNUo1dm.png

Scottish League Two

2014/15

September

BnDBEKp.png

The word average springs to mind for September. Stenhousemuir led two nil at the break and held on despite losing a man mid way through the second half. A response was needed at Elgin and yes we got it. Three up after 14 minutes was followed with a fourth in the second period. The home side hit a screamer late on but it was mere consolation. That win was followed by another three points from Peterhead in a game we dominated from start to finish. A brilliant game for the neutrals ended the month. Three times behind we came back to level and it was only after the red card to Iain Campbell we finally ran out of steam and Stirling clinched the win.

dqxTRfF.png

William Hill Scottish Cup 2nd Round Result

IOyV24Z.png

Two quick goals set up the win but we were not at our best throughout.

William Hill Scottish Cup 3rd Round Draw

1op4lAI.png

Another winnable game, brilliant draw for us.

Award

ZuPNosc.png

You must have a dodgy copy of the game Kris.

I'm starting to wonder that myself!

How's Fotheringham doing now?

Terrible.

But luckily for me i ditched him in the summer and he signed for Scottish League One side Clyde. Played 11 games so far, averaging 6.31 as they are sat 9th in the table.

nNUo1dm.png

Scottish League Two

2014/15

October

zrKeRiR.png

Well that wasn't good, at all. Queen's Park struck twice late in the first half then an early second half sending off for Templeman ruined any hope we had of a comeback. Another red followed against East Stirlingshire in a match that we created 12 chances but not one on target. 1-0 and 3-2 up at home to Annan was not enough to even get a point from the game as an 85th minute leveller then another red card from a crude penalty area challenge gave the away side the win from 12 yards in the 93rd minute. The trip to Montrose sprang into life with twenty minutes left but once again the luck was against us. Two goals disallowed and a fluke cross/shot could not compete with the two long range efforts from the home side. Can happily say i am glad to see the back of October.

Z3bN4UB.png

According to 'sources' i am one defeat from the sack. :thdn:

nNUo1dm.png

Scottish League Two

2014/15

November

tfh8J8r.png

This is more like it. Burst into action at home to Elgin with three goals in the final ten minutes before our own late curse struck again when hosting to Albion Rovers. Stenhousemuir and Peterhead were then put away in two more very good performances.

8RHxavq.png

William Hill Scottish Cup 3rd and 4th Rounds

5oRzSUm.png

Run of the mill win at the non leaguers before we saw off Scottish Championship side Falkirk. A fantastic day for club and a much deserved brace for Chris Smith sends us into the final 16 as the lowest ranked side.

William Hill Scottish Cup 5th Round Draw

6IZDwdY.png

Not the dream draw at all, a trip to a Championship side.

Award

ekfyTQT.png

nNUo1dm.png

Scottish League Two

2014/15

December

H96Rd3F.png

A mixed month that fortunately has ended well. Stirling put on a show and showed why they are top of the table. I have not been keen on Gary Thom this season at all but he deserves praise for recent showings and scoring with the last kick, well header, to rescue a point at Queen's Park. That late goal was the catalyst for six points to end the year in good form. East Stirlingshire were well beaten before a fast start saw off Annan, at a cost. Ten goal Chris Templeman is out for two months with fractured ribs so first job of the transfer window is to replace him.

A5Fevca.png

Award

12sp7DM.png

Looking real good last two months and an amazing victory in the cup! Do you reckon anyone can catch up with Stirling as in form as at this point?

I can answer that easily as i have actually finished my season. Let me just say Stirling don't win the league, they finish 3rd!

nNUo1dm.png

Scottish League Two

2014/15

January

QVNP1XG.png

A strong start to the year see's Stirling 11 point lead over us reduced to just four by the time February comes. All games were tight this month but we have looked solid at the back compared to recent months.

m8t9xEa.png

William Hill Scottish Cup 5th Round

3o6gU5o.png

The scoreline makes the game look closer than it was. In reality we were 3-0 down inside 25 minutes but despite a spirited comeback it was all in vain.

nNUo1dm.png

Scottish League Two

2014/15

February

0w4eTKe.png

Not at all what i expected from this month. Started with a win to keep our form going then three straight losses have really put a spanner in the works.

e8fuczH.png

Archived