What do you do with troublemakers?

Obviously you want to make sure you don't have any in a squad at all, though sometimes it's inevitable when you come in late. I have a english striker who's rather good (as in the striker for the English squad) , all things considered, but he wanted to move to a better club... I got 2nd with Villa, mind you.

I'm thinking of replacing him altogether, as there's a cracking Scottish striker playing for Rangers that I'm pretty sure I could get, but is there a good way of dealing with these types of players? He's still useful as I'm just barely meeting the HG regulations.

Personality type matters but club reputation does as well. I'm just guessing, but you're probably better off moving on and bringing someone else in.

Short term wise, try getting on his favorited personnel. Private chats, constant praise, etc.

Obviously you want to make sure you don't have any in a squad at all, though sometimes it's inevitable when you come in late. I have a english striker who's rather good (as in the striker for the English squad) , all things considered, but he wanted to move to a better club... I got 2nd with Villa, mind you.

I'm thinking of replacing him altogether, as there's a cracking Scottish striker playing for Rangers that I'm pretty sure I could get, but is there a good way of dealing with these types of players? He's still useful as I'm just barely meeting the HG regulations.

something along those lines

In my experience, those wanting out "to a bigger club" are already attracting interest and probably aware that a move would get them more money. I've found that telling them you won't let them go, coupled with setting off-putting asking prices, usually solves things. Their morale will drop dramatically, but only for a short while provided they have good attitude generally. There are risks with this approach: the Board may undermine you and accept a lower transfer offer, or the player may subsequently refuse a new contract and leave for free at some point. I never shove players asking for moves etc in the reserves. So long as their general attitude is good, and their form, then they play. It solves the problem quicker and reduces the risk of permanent damage to relationships.

IMHO I would let him go and get that Rangers striker instead.

If you really want to keep him, you can always try to offer him a better contract "if possible budgetwise", that sometimes does the trick to keep them happy enough to stay.

Is there a chance that such players ever improve their attitude? I signed a Northern Irish regen centre half on a free, he's the highest earner in the squad and probably the highest CA player, but he's now been absent for 3 match days after 'having been seen leaving the bar in the early hours of the morning'. That's three times in about two months! There's no way I can get rid of him any time soon either.

I wish the scouts in the game could warn me about a player having these kinds of tendencies. There seems to be no way of knowing if the guy is a bad apple before they roll into town and start making a fuss.

Edit - 4 times now. This is what he thinks of being fined

dvIR20N.jpg

He's somewhat right about the second part as well. If only there was anyone willing to take him. Mildly amusing that he keeps picking the nights before a match for party occasions. Hasn't missed training once.

I wish the scouts in the game could warn me about a player having these kinds of tendencies. There seems to be no way of knowing if the guy is a bad apple before they roll into town and start making a fuss.

But the media handling style and personality description usually gives it away...

A player who is controversial and/or lacking professionalism will give you problems. Lacking the ability to control his temperament will further his trouble making agenda.

So, in other words, players who are outspoken, volatile, controversial.

Well I went by his personality which was fairly determined. There's nothing in that that points to low professionalism. How am I supposed to think of media handling style when scouting players? He is volatile and outspoken, but again, that's not a sign of poor professionalism. Roy Keane is volatile and outspoken. I don't think he ever missed any matches because he was hungover. Besides, I have three other guys in the squad who are volatile and outspoken, one of them is confrontational. None of those have given me any trouble. Can I afford to avoid those players just because of their media handling style when the majority of them are apparently not problematic? If that's how you're supposed to read player personalities then shouldn't it be made a bit more obvious anyway? A scout should find out about any previous misdemeanor and report it I feel. That's their job after all, isn't it.

In any case, the guy was transfer listed and sent to train with the U18s. Since he couldn't keep missing games anymore as he is not eligible for any, he now hardly shows up for training. Being fined two weeks wages every two weeks, it makes you wonder who's paying for his partying habits.

Well, I can't disagree with that.. it should be in the scouting report. It used to be a few versions back, but since media handling style was brought in I think they removed it from the report. To be fair, it is easily visible on the personal information page, even before you scout them, but the game doesn't tell you whether or not it's important. It is though!

And it's not like a player like that will all of a sudden fail to report for training. It's an indication that they are less cooperative when it comes to interactions, critic, feedback and media comments, and if trouble arise and they do become unhappy (which is more likely to happen), they will do their best to make your life miserable and they will be very hard to bring back down to earth.

Generally when I scout, my order of check points goes something like this:

1) PA.

2) Personality & media handling style

3) Strong/weak aspects in scout report.

4) Attributes in relation to position.

If all of those check out I will consider making a bid if the price is right. Though, if the player is young enough to be tutored then personality & media handling style becomes less important, however an outspoken/volatile/controversial/temperamental player is less likely to want to cooperate with a team mate and be tutored, so I stay away from them, unless they are extremely talented.

As for Roy Keane, I agree that he's a professional guy in regard to training. But he has a temper and loves a conflict. There has been a lot said about how he made the atmosphere worse at Man Utd and how he picked on his own team mates, etc. I don't know much about the situation, but there seems to be a trail of bitterness behind him. He's currently linked with my club, Villa, and I would loathe to have him there.

As for Roy Keane, I agree that he's a professional guy in regard to training. But he has a temper and loves a conflict. There has been a lot said about how he made the atmosphere worse at Man Utd and how he picked on his own team mates, etc. I don't know much about the situation, but there seems to be a trail of bitterness behind him. He's currently linked with my club, Villa, and I would loathe to have him there.

I don't blame you, Roy Keane is a miserable, bitter man who by many accounts is almost impossible to work with. But as you say he was a model professional when it came to training and he had extremely high standards. Shouldn't there be a distinction in the game? I mean I can easily deal with players who won't back down in private talks etc, but there's no use for one who won't show up for matches.

Besides, can a player be professional/volatile etc? Because that's what Keane certainly was.

Yes, they can, up to a point. The ratings that give you those negative descriptions has little to do with professionalism. However the model pro/professional description is tied to temperament. Fairly professional is not though, and you could have 20 professionalism and still be labelled fairly professional in the game.

So to be 'Professional' or 'Model professional' you need professionalism above 18 and ability to control temperament between 10 and 20.

That means a player can be model pro/professional and volatile/outspoken, but he can't be controversial.

But that means I still have no way of knowing if a player is unprofessional. If he's volatile and outspoken he might have professionalism at, say, 10 and that would rarely be an issue. How do I separate those from the guy who has an alcoholism issue?

Think I should write something up for the wishlist thread. Previous misdemeanor should definitely be reflected in scout reports IMO. Media handling style should also be named differently and more prominently referred to by scouts and coaches.

Yeah, feel free to do that.

I think the current system is great. It's gives away a lot of information if you use Nocuous' excellent guide, and yet it is still vague enough that it doesn't spoil it.

The one problem I feel is that unless the player has really high professionalism, there is not enough info about that particular rating. Conversely, bein professional excludes finding out much about ambition.

There is however a few hints in the game. Give any player a heavy training (with two individual training added) and a player with low professionalism will complain about it.

Body language during matches and team talk feedback can also give you a hint about their professionalism.

I just feel professionalism should be separated from temperament. Issues with professionalism can be found out about prior to signing a player in reality. Attitude to training is an aspect that scouts pay a lot of attention to. I don't think it should be hidden behind the media handling description. As I said, I can deal with players being dicks in private talks or the media but being a slacker in training or a going out on the town the night before a match is a completely different matter.

Maybe that is something can be uncovered after a prolonged period of scouting.

I mean scouting is way to simple as is. With 10 scouts I can find out everything I can about around 20-30 players pr day by requesting scout report.

If certain things were hidden, but uncovered after say 1 month of scouting, that would bring more realism and challenge to it.

In example a players approach to training, his drive to succeed, and whether or not he is a sporting type of player, etc. All of this can be brought in to prolonged scouting of a player.

Archived