Okay so I finally have the financial resources to purchase a gaming PC but I don't know where to start looking for the perfect desktop to game with. All I want is a PC that can handle all or most leagues and tremendous graphics and can load fast, also that can play Sid Meier's Civilization without lagging. Currently the PC I use know is total crap ****, it can't handle more than 5 leagues and medium database plus I have to play on 2D classic.

Any suggestions will be very helpful as the PC I'm currently looking at is Alienware X51AX51R2-1430BK Gaming Desktop, Thanks in advance :thup:

Don't get Ailienware, they over charge you for their name. Its really easy to Build your own PC from parts and there are plenty of guides online to look at but if your too worried, then find a local shop and ask them how much for a build, the one I know only charged me 70euro to build and install windows, but I know someone who works there, think most places will be fairly reasonable. http://www.scan.co.uk/ Is my go to site, simply because they are reliable and reasonably priced any problems I've had surrounding returns or warranties they have been really helpful. Depending on your Budget I'd go with one of Scans "today only" deals, usually an i5 combo with every thing you need for your new PC excluding a graphics card, which is nice as you know all these parts work together and you have the choice of which GPU to get. Their Current one is £389.99 then you could get a GPU in the £100-200 bracket that will play Civ 5 easy. I Just finished upgrading my PC and building my girlfriend her first gaming PC, and I went for a "today only" deal on scan with a GeForce GTX 770 since she plans to play newer games than Civ.

If you really Just want to buy the finished article I assume that SCAN's PC builder the 3XS systems are well made too.

I put the model name into google and got a hit on amazon. I don't know if it that's the one you mean, but what I'm looking at does not look like a gaming pc at all. I struggle to understand why they would call it that.

I highly recommend building one for yourself, as you're in the US i don't believe any of the UK sites would ship to you and if they did, the shipping + tax costs would be horrendous. Newegg, NCIX US and US pc partpicker are good from what i've heard, NCIX and partpicker both have forums where you can share the information you've provided here and they should be able to get you the PC you require and for a cheaper price than a pre built one. Good luck! :) also, Tom's Hardware is a good place to go if you don't know much about building and they're quite quick to respond and incredibly friendly.

I didn't even notice your location, If your in the US then I would definitely build my self or at least buy the parts and pay someone to build, PC parts are so much cheaper in the US and a lot seem to offer some sort of cash back thing, even if you visit http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc you can get some Ideas of systems and prices, or make a post and ask for help. But as a lot of people are saying its usually a lot cheaper to build your own one than to buy pre built. If it is for gaming I would also stick to a desktop rather than a laptop, lot harder and more effort in upgrading laptops than desktops.

With the recommendations to building a PC, I'm trying to cap myself at or around $650, so will that be a good build for that price?

I'm not too familiar with the prices in $, but if you go to build-a-PC subreddit, there are plenty of builds could could look at to get some ideas. I think for $650 you can get a good value machine that will run FM and Civ 5 with ease.

Archived