Can Forest Green into new stadium?

Yes, another stadium query.

I'm about to start my 15th season. The New Lawn, in all it's glory, is a 12647-all seater and was built in 2006. It's now August 2027, so I have been able to ask for a new stadium for a while.

I was expecting it to be agreed to right away, but so far the board has rejected my request four times, apparently due to lack of a fan base. I strongly disagree with that, but leaking it to the press got me fired. (I reloaded)

The numbers:

Since the capacity upgrade that was finished before the start of the 2018/2019 the club has sold out season tickets each year. Last season 10500 tickets were sold. They've been increasing by around 500 each year.

Average attendance in the league has been something like 99.5% for the last 9 seasons, while in all competitions it's around 99.2%.

Games even against minnows in the Capital one cup and poor sides from Europe are sold out. Even friendlies matches against weaker sides are sold out!

Ticket prices seemed to reached a cap 6-7 seasons ago at £50 pr bum, and £1k pr season ticket. They have not moved since.

To compete with the rich clubs and to keep my best players I've sold off a few players each year on installments. At the moment I'm receiving £7.5m pr month in installments, and it's pretty much the sole reason why I can afford to pay over £2m pr week in wages and still make a profit.

The club's bank balance is at a very healthy state, having just reached £300m.

So, can Forest Green into new stadium?

How long must I wait?

I'm guessing the 126417 number was a typo...

It's possible that you've just about hit the limit of what the game deems to be your maximum fans, and although you've filled your stadium pretty much consistently, there genuinely aren't any extra who want to attend. Of course, that's probably rubbish, and it isn't something that's easily seen.

Actually, come to think of it, season ticket waiting lists would be a great addition in these cases. That'll give you, as a manager, a view of your potential fanbase should you move to a new stadium, and give a bit of "show-your-working" behind board decisions.

Rejected a 5 fifth time. Again - no evidence of the fan base expanding given as reason. Then, as I had only one year left on my contract I request a new contract be made and in discussion I demanded a new stadium be built.. and they withdrew from the talks.

Out of frustration I downloaded FMRTE to check the numbers and my average attendance is listed as 53 294 with maximum attendance at 59 604.

Is this working as intended or bugged?

Is there any planning permission or anything happening on the Boardroom Overview screen? I'm guessing not but worth a look. It isn't as easy as saying new stadium please and it being built. Now you have to go through a couple of years of planning, well my stadium did, before I got the news I was getting a new one.

It's possible that you've just about hit the limit of what the game deems to be your maximum fans, and although you've filled your stadium pretty much consistently, there genuinely aren't any extra who want to attend. Of course, that's probably rubbish, and it isn't something that's easily seen.

Actually, come to think of it, season ticket waiting lists would be a great addition in these cases. That'll give you, as a manager, a view of your potential fanbase should you move to a new stadium, and give a bit of "show-your-working" behind board decisions.

Sorry, I didn't notice the edit you made until now. As you see I checked the figures and it seems I would have no problem filling a 55k stadium.

I like the waiting list idea!

Just thinking out loud here so feel free to correct me.

The stadium was built for the start of the 2006/07 season. As there is a 1 new stadium per 20 seasons rule hardcoded into the game, even if they wanted to, the board would have been unable to build a new stadium until 2026/27, (at the earliest).

The date in your game is.... August 2027 so to my mind it has only been theoretically possible for a new stadium to be built for about 1 season. Is that right?

My initial reaction, (from someone who has waited and waited and waited for facility upgrades in his own game), is that you should give it a couple more season, (possibly even without asking), and just see how it goes.

Something that might have a negative influence however, (not sure if you are a FGR fan so you might not know), is that the Chairman at the start of the game, (Dale Vince), is not your typical football Chairman.

In February 2011, Rovers players were banned from eating red meat for health reasons, and a few weeks later the sale of all red meat products was banned at the club's football ground, leaving only vegetarian options as well as free-range poultry and fish from sustainable stocks.

If you are looking at the editor, it might be worth looking at what Dale Vince is like. He might very well be the issue if he is still there.

Is there any planning permission or anything happening on the Boardroom Overview screen? I'm guessing not but worth a look. It isn't as easy as saying new stadium please and it being built. Now you have to go through a couple of years of planning, well my stadium did, before I got the news I was getting a new one.

Yes, I realize that it will still take a while once it's started, but I just want to get going already, sooner the better.

There's no planning listed.

season ticket waiting lists would be a great addition in these cases.

Ooh that's a belter! :applause:

I hope someone has suggested that. :thup:

[Edit]

Something else that might be worth mentioning is that when New Lawn was initially built, it was quite contentious within the local community. I'm not sure how the potential for planning issues get coded into the game, (and I would have thought that you should at least be trying to build one if this is the case), but I just thought I would mention it. I know there are planning issues in the code so....

The stadium was built for the start of the 2006/07 season. As there is a 1 new stadium per 20 seasons rule hardcoded into the game, even if they wanted to, the board would have been unable to build a new stadium until 2026/27, (at the earliest).

The date in your game is.... August 2027 so to my mind it has only been theoretically possible for a new stadium to be built for about 1 season. Is that right?

My initial reaction, (from someone who has waited and waited and waited for facility upgrades in his own game), is that you should give it a couple more season, (possibly even without asking), and just see how it goes.

Something that might have a negative influence however, (not sure if you are a FGR fan so you might not know), is that the Chairman at the start of the game, (Dale Vince), is not your typical football Chairman.

If you are looking at the editor, it might be worth looking at what Dale Vince is like. He might very well be the issue if he is still there.

Got it in one, didn't even think about the 20 year rule. That is surely the only reason.

Maybe the OP should holiday to May and see if its right.

That's what I initially thought, but as soon as January 2026 rolled by the option to request a new stadium was no longer greyed out, and I've been checking it and asking on every available occasion since then. I accept there is a 20 year limit, however arbitrary that rule is. I expected to wait that long, but I also expected a new stadium be built ASAP when the 20 wait was over.

Woulnd't class myself as a fan but after my FM13 game with them I've started to keep myself updated with how they are doing. CityAndColour I think eluded to him being a bit odd.. well, that was the impression I got anyway.

Checking his stats now, there doesn't seem to be a stand out reason why he would refuse to build a stadium.

Business 15 - Interference 10 - Patience 15 - Resources 13. He's also got really good personality attributes.

I guess I need a bit more patience before moaning about a bug. How long did you have to wait Jimbokav?

My new stadium was 17,500 and I have expanded as far as it can go, 34,500. Annoying but I am stuck with selling it out until I can get a new one. I was surprised the expansion was so much actually, nearly doubling in size.

And did you guys have to wait long past the 20 year limit?

Edit: Unfortunately Dale Vince still loves the club, and with it being all up to him I guess I don't have a say in the matter.

In my darkest hour I pondered if I should request a really long contract with an immense wage (until this point I've been happy with taking the smallest wage possible), and then once agreed make a request for a stadium, get refused and leak it to the press, forcing him to either pay millions to either fire me or oblige.

And did you guys have to wait long past the 20 year limit?

Edit: Unfortunately Dale Vince still loves the club, and with it being all up to him I guess I don't have a say in the matter.

In my darkest hour I pondered if I should request a really long contract with an immense wage (until this point I've been happy with taking the smallest wage possible), and then once agreed make a request for a stadium, get refused and leak it to the press, forcing him to either pay millions to either fire me or oblige.

With £300m in the bank I would expect him to not hesitate in firing you.

If I were you I would holiday to May, request a new stadium, see what happens. It may be the 20 year rule that's stopped it upto now. If the stadium gets the go ahead you know you are nearly there so keep playing from where you are. If there is no stadium you can try arguing with board or just quit and move on.

eple. I'm the same with clubs I manage. Always become a bit of a fan.

Here's a question for you. I understand that there is something in the system somewhere which influences planning permission. Not being an editor goof I actually don't know what it is but I know that there are situations for example where some grounds cannot be expanded, (for whatever reason). I know you have checked the fanbase thingy, (or whatever it is called), but is it possible that there is something else within the guts of the game stopping this?

The scouting tool thingy you have used might not be able to tell you everything, (sorry, don't really know exactly what FMRTE does). We are assuming that all we need for a stadium is....

1. Demand.

2. Finances.

3. Planning permission.

Is it possible that there is something else linked to... well I don't know actually. :confused:

Yeah, I have FM related love for quite a few clubs spread around the globe :)

I remember way back when it was impossible to get Parma to build a new stadium. I don't remember what exactly it was that caused it but it was simple to fix with a single edit to the DB, but without the change you'd always get the message that the local council blocked the build. It wasn't intentional though and I'm pretty sure it has since been fixed.

Either way, the first hurdle is getting the board to actually agree to build a stadium.

FMRTE doesn't reveal much besides what you can see in the editor that comes with the game (except that it's a real time editor). If I look up the location though (Nailsworth) I see the Inhabitants Range, which is listed as 5001-10000.

Maybe that is what's causing trouble?

Looking up Yeovil, which MichaelBrown managed to get a 60k stadium with, they are listed as having a range of 25001-50000.

I guess time will tell.

If I were you I would holiday to May, request a new stadium, see what happens. It may be the 20 year rule that's stopped it upto now.

The 20 year limit will keep the option to request a new stadium greyed out and unavailable. In January 2026 I was able to ask for it, thus I consider the 20 years to have already passed a while back. Since then I've request it 5 times in total + one contract negotiation where I tried to sneak in a new stadium.. (It's now March 2028).

The 20 year limit will keep the option to request a new stadium greyed out and unavailable. In January 2026 I was able to ask for it, thus I consider the 20 years to have already passed a while back. Since then I've request it 5 times in total + one contract negotiation where I tried to sneak in a new stadium.. (It's now March 2028).
I think something may occur in May hence me saying holiday to then and see. Either that or accept your chairman doesn't like change.

How long past it did you play?

I'm approaching the last game of the season now, so will see how it goes. I suppose it's not the end of the world if it never comes.. The financial handicap keeps things interesting I guess.

Damn, he really is stubborn...

I ask for a new stadium and get rejected with the same reason as before. Then I leak it to the press and use the worst of the options. There's no response from him, but the next day I request a new contract (I have one year left). He refuses, even upon insisting. I leak that to the press and again use the worse option.

Next day Udinese (Tycoon owned) propose talks for me to join them - aha! an opportunity! - I tell them everything they want to hear and click continue. And what do you know. Now he wants to talk about a new contract. I tell him I want a new stadium, but no deal. He would rather have me leave the club.

Bank Balance is now £346m so there absolutely no hindrance (unless making a profit is a hindrance? - I've had a transfer income of £175m this season and would have made a big loss without it).

L4GF1eR.png

To satisfy my curiosity I resigned and put the game in holiday mode. When I came back it was April 2037, and Forest Green had just recently moved into a 65k stadium named after me.

So Forest Greeen can indeed into new stadium. It's just takes a whole lot of time. Dale Vince is still chairman btw.

I still wonder if this is working as intended though. Why did it take 10 years past the limit to get it built?

To satisfy my curiosity I resigned and put the game in holiday mode. When I came back it was April 2037, and Forest Green had just recently moved into a 65k stadium named after me.

So Forest Greeen can indeed into new stadium. It's just takes a whole lot of time. Dale Vince is still chairman btw.

I still wonder if this is working as intended though. Why did it take 10 years past the limit to get it built?

Oh no. :(

You've done it now.

You will eventually get a new stadium but there is no way on Earth it will be named after you now. I bet it will be called the Forest Green Stadium or something equally rubbish now.

Maybe :) That would be dull, but to be honest I would actually prefer it to be named after a few players that have become club legends ahead of myself. I was also wondering if I set a nickname on a player and he was the one chosen, if they'd use the nickname rather then the full name. That would be wicked!

Coming up on May 2029, fingers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...

This is seriously starting to take it's toll on my enjoyment of the game.

Should I report this as a bug?

Situation is as follows:

Stadium capacity 12.647 - built 2006 - the date is now May 2030.

Bank Balance: £506m

3rd party tool shows attendance as Max: 65.407 - Average: 57.458

Everytime I request a new stadium I get the response about fan base not expanding in the future. This is what is getting on my nerves. It's probably correct that it's not expanding much in the future... but how about the fan base NOW? We could consistently fill a stadium 5 times the size of the current one.

If I leak to press I am fired instantly.

I just can't believe that this is working as intended.

You holidayed before and got a new stadium didn't you?

Here is a question....

Are you just asking for a new stadium via the boardroom, or are you using the fact that you have sold out a particular game to trigger the request button and then going from there?

Have to say admit I have never noticed that option. So far I've only asked in a meeting or when discussing a new contract. Will try that though, maybe that will cut through to BS.

I did get a new stadium when I holidayed (in 2034), but I also resigned before going on holiday. In other words the board meeting request-mechanic wasn't used and I assumed it happened through some other AI mechanic.

I tried the same thing two years later and this time the new stadium was built in 2036 for some reason.

My problem is not so much not getting a stadium, it's the silly reason I get in response. If the game would actually tell me what was going on I would be happy.

I'm in a similar situation with my club. We have been held back by the 20 year limit but that passed four years ago and we still haven't had any news.

On another note, is it just me that had memories of CM brought back by the typo in the OP, or am I just imagining it?

I've been keeping an eye on your career thread. The way you fly through the seasons I suppose you'll be the one to get there first. Why does it remind you of CM? :) It's an intentional reference to a meme. Look up "poland can into space" if it tickles your curiosity.

Jimbo, where and when does the option you spoke about become available? I just had a sold out game and was hoping it appeared in the news report about the match, but it wasn't there. Does the board meeting request have to be available for it too work? If so I probably have to wait until 4-5 months to try it.

Jimbo, where and when does the option you spoke about become available? I just had a sold out game and was hoping it appeared in the news report about the match, but it wasn't there. Does the board meeting request have to be available for it too work? If so I probably have to wait until 4-5 months to try it.

When I am expected to get a capacity attendance, (this is before the game), it triggers a news item and at the bottom on the right hand side there is a clickable button that says "Request new stadium". I haven't bothered to press it yet because I had a new one built 4 years ago so there is no point, but it is still there.

I can't show you a pic I'm afraid because I am in the middle of the close-season. Sorry.

That's more than good enough, cheers! I'll keep my eyes peeled. I'm thinking it's one of those cup fever news items?

I'm sure there was an old version of CM (may have been FM) where a bug/data error meant Forest Green had a massive (120k?) capacity stadium. It seemed spookily similar to the OP.

A very dim lightbulb just switched one... I don't think it was Forest Green, was it? I defiantly remember a 100k+ stadium. For some reason I have a faint memory of the name starting with a 'W'... Windsor Park?

Jimbo, I looked for the opportunity to ask due to selling out tickets, but despite selling out almost every game it never showed up.

No matter though, it finally happened!

6U9StfH.png

Planning is set to complete in May 2032, but I'm lowering my expectations so I don't get disappointed. If it get's postponed to 2034, I'll get a new stadium in 2035 or 2036.

Because I'm a curious guy I saved the game on 31.December 2030. I then asked for a new stadium. The answer was pretty much shut up or you're fired!!!

I reloaded and played until next morning and asked again. This time the answer was as shown above.

Must have been a good new years party! Makes me think there are some underlying (arbitrary) process going on in the game that has forced me to wait 20+5 years.

Sweet!

Tv7pCyD.png

Caught me by surprise, this one, as planning was postponed to 2034, then pushed forward.

Also, notice the name. I set a nickname for myself and it used the nickname instead of just the surname. I guess that means you can have some fun with it :)

All the evidence points to the hard coded rule being changed from 20 years to 25 years then.....
That could explain the delay in mine too, which was almost exactly 25 years.Shame really, if anything that limit could do with being reduced.

It is rare for a team to move up the leagues at the pace they do in people's FM saves. Furthermore, owners, councillors, governments etc putting up the money are also unlikely to consider their big investment in a new stadium as something that will last less than 20 years, especially as when stadiums get bigger, the cost increases exponentially but the value of the land doesn't as selling the old stadium will only get the value of the land underneath which in most areas (apart from super-major cities like London) isn't going to be anywhere near the cost of the original construction.

Another factor is that where finance is used to build the stadium, from a bank for example, the only way building the stadium is affordable to the club is for that loan to be spread out over a lengthy period, similar to mortgages for individuals being spread over 25 years as we often cannot afford quicker repayment terms.

The mortgages are secured on our homes. Bank loans to construct stadiums will be secured on the club's assets, aka the stadium, which is another reason why 20-25 years is the minimum lifespan normally associated with a stadium.

The only real life example in the modern era I can think of in regards to new stadiums being built in short periods is at Hoffenheim where the Dietmar Hopp Stadion was built in think in 1999, with the Rhein-Neckar Arena following in 2009 after they got a Bundesliga promotion. However the Dietmar Hopp stadium was financed independently by Dietmar Hopp, Hoffenheim's benefactor.

Archived