[FM14] It's not you, it's me. I just can't do club monogamy anymore!

duffy89

Hello fellow FM enthusiasts! Thank you for having a look at my career!

So the new FM is out and over the last couple of years I’ve really enjoyed taking on new challenges and have loved reading about people’s careers on these forums, inspiring myself to start my own career thread. Completing ri916's youth challenge with Atletico Arezzo last year was probably the highlight of all my 15 years or so playing Champ/Footy Man and has spurred me on to take on a new challenge this year.

It hit me the other day that I have never done a journeyman save in all that time. I usually manage a lowly team and stick with them for the duration of that save, indeed I have never switched jobs once whilst managaing a team! Which is club monogamy to the extreme...

So enough of all this malarky, it's time to start a journeyman save that will take me around the world!

And what better way to do so than by taking part in a challenge along the way...forameuss' brilliant (but brutal) Tetradecagon Challenge!

Here the nations I’ve loaded:

Screenshot2013-11-01at120048-2.png

I would have liked to have loaded more countries but my computer is a bit out of date so my selection is limited.

Some standard ones in there for North America, Africa and Asia. With South America I wanted to go away from the norm of Brazil and Argentina hence Chile and Uruguay. As for Europe, I've managed extensively in England, Spain and Italy so they're out. Scotland is in there to give me the option of managing the club I support, St. Johnstone. Overall this should be a nice mix.

And here's the man who will be visiting them:

Screenshot2013-11-01at120732-2.png

Screenshot2013-11-01at120744-2.png

Competitions Won: (1/14)

African Champions League - Jomo Cosmos - 2018

Achievements: 0 Points

Will update as the game progresses.

Clubs Managed:

Jomo Cosmos - South Africa - August 2013 - December 2018

Jiangsu Sainty - China - June 2020 - Present

Nations Managed:

China PR - February 2019 - Present

Hall of Fame:

Molefi Ifraan - GK - Jomo Cosmos - March 2014 - December 2018

Matsilele Sono - MC - Jomo Cosmos - August 2013 - December 2018

Malesela Moses - MR - Jomo Cosmos - March 2013 - December 2018

Mxolisi Mathopa - ST - Jomo Cosmos - March 2013 - December 2018

So without further ado, let’s start this challenge!

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I sent my CV onto every club going and unsurprisingly the only response I got was from South Africa! After a successful interview here's what Jomo Comos offered me:

Screenshot2013-11-01at123217-2.png

We all have to start somewhere so naturally I accepted!

Duffy is off to South Africa!

[FM14] It's not you, it's me. I just can't do club monogomy anymore!

Jomo_Cosmos-logo-0EC1913FF2-seeklogo_com.gif

Jomo Cosmos

duffy89 - Tetradecagon Challenge

So let's have a little look at this club before we get started.

Jomo Comos are a Johannesburg based club, founded in 1983 by Jomo Sono, the "Black Prince" of African football. They currently play in the National First Division but were a Premier League regular before yoyo-ing between the Premier and National leagues in recent times.

Background

Screenshot2013-11-01at123414-4.png

As you can see, facilities are in good shape and I should be able to build something good here.

Squad

Screenshot2013-11-01at123647-4.png

A bit of a mixed bag but we're predicted to finish second and I reckon we can do so. They key players at the club in my opinion are:

Avril Phali - GK -This little rock chick is the best keeper at the club by some distance so he'll be key. At 35, he's only got a couple of years left in him so I need to think about who wiill succeed him.

Bamuza Sono - ML/MC/AML - Player/Coach Bamuza is son of owner, Jomo Sono. He may be 33 but still has quality and can play anywhere across the midfield.

Matsilele Sono - MC/AMC/AMR/AML - The second Sono and younger brother of Bamuza. He's still got plenty of years ahead of him and versitility will be much needed this season.

Transfers

The first thing on my list of things to do is to bring in some reinforcements for the upcoming season:

Mohamed Sarr - DC - Free - The first of those players is Mo Sarr, who should be real class at this level and I'm surprised we were actually able to sign him. Should add some much needed experience at the back.

Lindani Ntamo- MC/AMC - Free - Lindani is still young at 22 and will add a bit of attacking threat to our midfield.

Tony Tsabedze - ML/AML - Free - Tony boy will be our main man down the left this season and looks a solid all round winger.

Josephy Kamwendo - MC/AMC - Free - Although its not one of his favoured positions, Joe can play upfront and that's what he'll be doing for the Cosmos. I'm hoping with his decent pace and finishing he can make a good poacher.

Tactics

I'll be using the notion of KISS for my first season with the Cosmos: Keep It Simple, Stupid! A 4-4-2 should do just fine and I'm wanting my lads to play at a high tempo and hassle the opposition.

Screenshot2013-11-02at161448.png

I think we're ready to start the new season!

[FM14] It's not you, it's me. I just can't do club monogomy anymore!

Jomo Cosmos

August & September

Fixtures

Screenshot2013-11-01at144647-1.png

League Table

Screenshot2013-11-01at144632-1.png

The first month and a half and 5 games have gone well as we notched up 4 wins. I’m very happy with this start and I think we’ve got a new chant already, “3-1 to the Cosmos!”

Santos FC have made a perfect start so we sit in joint second at the moment.

Good luck bro, great facilities to begin with!

Thanks Gaz, I was very impressed with the facilities, shame my staff are awful!

Good luck! I started at Jomo Cosmos in my FM13 career, got promoted first season but then wound up getting relegated the next. Hope you can knock out the Africa bit!

Anything can happen in South Africa I reckon, like you said efrumttr, it'd be good to bash it out quickly!

Jomo Cosmos

Halfway Stage

Fixtures

Screenshot2013-11-01at210916-2.png

League Table

Screenshot2013-11-03at054205.png

What a couple of months! We’ve been on great form, scoring for fun and have gone unbeaten to end up top at the halfway stage. The team is looking good, hopefully we can keep up this momentum into 2014.

Star Performers

Avril Phali - GK – Avril has been solid between the sticks despite only notching up 3 clean sheets.

Tony Tsabedze - ML – New boy Tony has had a great start to his career at the Cosmos and has been a constant menace down the left.

Madoda Motha - ST – The surprise package without a doubt, Madoda can’t stop scoring at the moment! 10 goals and 7 assists is a great return from this lad.

Jomo Cosmos

January & February

Fixtures

Screenshot2013-11-02at091126-2.png

League Table

Screenshot2013-11-03at060803.png

We’ve been able to carry on our great run and despite a little blip at the start of Feb have continued to win most of our matches. I wish we could keep more clean sheets though. Regardless, we have a nice 9-point gap at the top of the table, so I can’t complain!

Jomo Cosmos – 13/14

March

Fixtures

Screenshot2013-11-02at102259-2.png

League Table

Screenshot2013-11-03at064924.png

The Cosmos go marching on! 5 games left, 11 points ahead, unless we have a spectacular choke then we’re all set for the Premier League!

Youth Intake

Screenshot2013-11-03at065336.png

A very highly rated youth intake, those facilities must be paying off! My Ass-Man certainly rates the intake and a couple of these lads should help bolster the squad next season. 2 players I’ll be keeping an eye on are:

Molefi Irfaan - GK

Mxolisi Mathopa- ST

Jomo Cosmos – 13/14

End of Season

Fixtures

Screenshot2013-11-02at111230-2.png

League Table

Screenshot2013-11-03at070215.png

Bloody hell, not exactly a great way to end the season! I think the lads were on the proverbial holiday mode. Anyway we managed to squeak over the line and win the title!

Screenshot2013-11-02at105034-2.png

I was also happy to put pen to paper on a 1-year extension. For now, I’m staying at the Cosmos.

Screenshot2013-11-02at110712-2.png

All in all, I’m absolutely delighted; a great way to start this career off!

I think life in the Premier League will be tough so I’ll be more than happy if we can avoid relegation.

Players of the Year

Tony Tsabedze - ML – Was one of our most solid players, constantly performing.

Josephy Kamwendo- ST – It took him a while to find his feet but Joe really took off in the second half of the season, ending up on 19 goals for the year.

Madoda Motha- ST - Carried on his goal scoring exploits, bagging 23 goals and 10 assists in all comps. His endeavours did not go unnoticed either:

Screenshot2013-11-02at112534-2.png

Jomo Cosmos – 14/15

Pre-Season

Fixtures

Screenshot2013-11-02at183240.png

We started off a little shaky in pre-season but picked up in the last couple of games. I was only looking for match fitness anyway.

Signings

I hit a bit of a brick wall when it came to signings this season. There were quite a few players that I could bring in but league rules dictate you must not have more than 5 foreign players in your squad. It’s a pain as all the good South Africans are either taken or don’t want to move to the Cosmos. I filled my last 2 foreign spots with these 2 newcomers:

John Mensah - DC – Free - This Ghanaian legend will hopefully add some stability to my back line, God knows we’ll need it for the forthcoming season.

Chris Katongo- AMR/ST - Free – The man who captained Zambia to their African Cup of nations triumph in 2012, I’m over the moon with this signing!

Welcome to the Cosmos lads!

Ghana-captain-John-Mensah.jpg

chirs.jpg

Motha also couldn't stop scoring on my save either lol. And yeah, that limit on foreign players was what did me in for my second season. I found out when my last 4 transfers couldn't go through and the transfer window was almost over:seagull:

Hope you have better luck in the top division than I did!

Great first season! I managed them as a test run on FMC, Motha was a goal machine for me.

Good luck for next season :)

Cheers AcidBurn, I'm hoping he can make the step up to the big time.

Motha also couldn't stop scoring on my save either lol. And yeah, that limit on foreign players was what did me in for my second season. I found out when my last 4 transfers couldn't go through and the transfer window was almost over:seagull:

Hope you have better luck in the top division than I did!

It's an absolute nightmare, luckily Cosmos have a pretty good youth system because I think I'm going to have to use a few of the youngsters this season. My squad is looking thin!

Congrats on the title win :thup:

Ta, BWG!

Jomo Cosmos – 14/15

August & September

Fixtures

Screenshot2013-11-02at203640.png

League Table

Screenshot2013-11-03at103436.png

Welcome to the Premier League! Our first 6 games showed us we were in for a tough season. Those 2 wins were huge though, especially the away win at Celtic. All we can do is keep grinding away.

The board are happy to avoid relegation and have offered me a new contract, which I’ve taken.

Screenshot2013-11-02at230125.png

Jomo Cosmos – 14/15

October & November

Fixtures

Screenshot2013-11-02at230649.png

League Table

Screenshot2013-11-02at230632.png

Wow! What a run we’ve been on! That’s 6 wins in a row in the league now and all of a sudden we’re up to the dizzy heights of 5th, only 5 points of the top! Exceptional stuff from the lads, including a brilliant 7-2 away victory at FS Stars and a 3-0 thumping at home to Kaiser Chiefs.

I wasn’t too bothered about exiting the KO Cup, we need to concentrate on the league.

Jomo Cosmos – 14/15

December

Fixtures

Screenshot2013-11-03at064314.png

League Table

Screenshot2013-11-03at064300.png

And still we march on! December was another good month for us, notching up 2 wins out of 3.

We’re up to 3rd in the league now, 8 points behind Sundowns.

It’s probably worth noting now that I’m hating the fixtures in the Premier League. It seems we either play 3 games in a week or once a fortnight. Not great for match fitness.

Star Performers

Here’s who’s been impressing in the first half of the season.

Matsilele Sono – MC – He’s been brilliant playing in a more central role this season and has popped up on the scoresheet a few times too.

Tony Tsabedze- ML - Tony continues to be one of our most consistent players.

Chris Katongo- MR - On this other side of midfield, Chris has been fantastic putting in some class performances despite being 32 now.

Jomo Cosmos – 14/15

January & February

Fixtures

Screenshot2013-11-03at085813.png

League Table

Screenshot2013-11-03at085747.png

January and February were a bit of a mixed bag, we’re still playing brilliantly though and sit 3rd in the table. Defending champions, Sundowns, look to be running away with things, they’re 7 points ahead of the Pirates in 2nd and 15 ahead of me.

Another quiet January transfer-wise for us, really struggling to find quality non foreign players who want to move to the Cosmos.

Jomo Cosmos – 14/15

March

Fixtures

Screenshot2013-11-03at093801.png

League Table

Screenshot2013-11-03at093749.png

We’ve dropped down to 5th as our run continues to slow down. I’m hoping for a little cup run, however, as we secured a good result against Ajax in extra time.

BREAKING NEWS – DUFFY HEADED TO URUGUAY?

I noticed the Peñarol job had become available and seeing as they would possible be my best chance of winning the Liberatores in South America, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to apply.

Screenshot2013-11-03at093443.png

Cosmos didn’t want me to go…

Screenshot2013-11-03at093513.png

…but it wasn’t to be. Maybe in a couple of years or so! At least they didn’t laugh it off!

Screenshot2013-11-03at093531.png

Cosmos it is then (for now)!

Youth Intake

Screenshot2013-11-03at094228.png

A pretty decent intake again this year with one standout candidate:

Thabang Mzizi – ST – 6’4 at 15! Jesus what are they feeding this boy! Very excited to see what this lad can do, he’ll move into the first team squad straight away. Great name too…ThaBANG!

Jomo Cosmos – 14/15

April & May

Fixtures

Screenshot2013-11-03at125124.png

League Table

Screenshot2013-11-03at125105.png

I’m over the moon with our 4th place finish, a huge overachievement from us and we finished really strongly. I’m starting to get a bit worried about breaking Sundowns’ dominance, and it’s a nightmare that there’s only one Champions League spot. All I can do for now is continue to plug away with Cosmos, or aim to get a job with one of the “big 3” (Sundowns/Orlando Pirates/Kaiser Chiefs) to try and boost my chances of completing this part of the challenge.

We did go on a bit of a cup run in the end before painfully losing out in the quarters to Kaiser Chiefs.

I'm also starting to get a bit worried about finances, we're about 200k in the red and its only going to get worse. My wage budget is expected to be a measly 30k next year, we're sitting just over that at the moment so won't be able to bring many players in and I'm going to have to let a couple go.

I think it's becoming aparent that I'm going to have to rely on youth a lot more than I hoped for. Luckily we have a few players who I feel can step up to the plate.

I was happy with this: :D

Screenshot2013-11-03at131629.png

Players of the Year

The usual suspects again!

Matsilele Sono – MC – Sono really stepped up to the plate this year, running the show from centre-mid. He's close to being a hall of famer!

Tony Tsabedze- ML - Another great season from Tony, 15 assists is fantastic from our wide man.

Chris Katongo- MR - Goals, assists, what more could you want? Well, maybe a time machine seeing as he's 32 now!

Jomo Cosmos – 15/16

Pre-Season

Friendlies

Screenshot2013-11-03at165611.png

These were more of a glorified training session really – but there’s not a lot of option when I arrange friendlies, unfortunately. Still, its good for the lads to get some confidence before the new season starts.

Transfers

Money is really tight at the moment so I’ve had to push my wage budget as far as I can. 2 of our players, Avril Phali and Bamuza Sono have now retired which freed up a bit of room. I was unable to tie Madona Motha down to a contract so he leaves on a free transfer.

I’ve managed to bring in a couple of players though, and here they are:

Vusi Sithole – DC – Free – Still only 18, I’m hoping this lad can develop to become a solid centre back. He’ll be getting a fair bit of playing this time this season.

Abia Nale- AMC/AMR/AML/ST - Free – Abia was brought in on a free to provide some cover for our midfield and front line.

Josemar Machaisse- MC - Free - I’m absolutely delighted that we’ve been able to capture Josemar, who looks a great all round midfielder.

He’ll arrive in December and the only problem is that I’m going to have to ditch a foreign player to make way for him. I’ll be swapping him with John Mensah, who, despite having a good season last year has decided to retire at the end of this one. If I’m going to sacrifice one of my foreign players it may as well be him.

Jomo Cosmos – 15/16

August & September

Fixtures

Screenshot2013-11-06at072734.png

League Table

Screenshot2013-11-03at214639.png

First of all the Super 8 cup. Never knew about this until now but it’s an extra little tournament for the, yes you guessed it, top 8 teams from last season.

We lost out in the Semis to Sundowns over 2 legs and I’m disappointed we couldn’t get a result after drawing 3-3 away from home.

As for the league, we’ve had a fantastic start, winning 6 out of our first 7 games! You’d think that’d be enough to be top of the league but we sit in joint 3rd with Sundowns. Kaiser Chiefs are one point better in 2nd and Orlando Pirates have a 100% record.

Jomo Cosmos – 15/16

October & November

Fixtures

Screenshot2013-11-04at085106.png

League Table

Screenshot2013-11-04at085047.png

Orlando are really starting to do my head in. 11 wins from 11 including a 4-2 victory over us means they’re 6 points ahead with a game in hand, despite the fact we’ve been playing some good stuff.

To add to that Kaiser Chiefs pumped us 5-1 at home to put us out of the KO Cup – no silverware there then.

Frustrating times!

Jomo Cosmos – 15/16

December

Fixtures

Screenshot2013-11-04at091308.png

League Table

Screenshot2013-11-04at093704.png

Not much going on in December as you can see! Only 2 games and it should’ve been 6 points had it not been for a last minute equaliser from Kaiser Chiefs.

Orlando are still top the league, 6 points ahead of us, and 3 ahead of Sundowns who have moved into second place.

We’re definitely still in this as we head into the second half of the season!

The Kids Are Alright

Seeing as not much is going on this month I’d thought I’d do a special feature on the youngsters who have been performing so well this season. All of these kids came through our system apart from Sithole, who we signed this year from Platinum Stars.

Molefi Irfaan – GK

Our undisputed no.1, Molefi came through our youth system in our first year. He’s developed incredibly since then and continues to do so. Is a regular at U20 level for South Africa and has recently been called up to the senior side but remains uncapped.

Screenshot2013-11-04at131210.png

Vusi Sithole- DC

Vusi was signed this season on a free and looks a good prospect. Capped 25 times at U20 level he has plenty of experience already.

Screenshot2013-11-04at131230.png

Sammy Ndou

Sammy is another first year graduate and has developed into our starting right back. He’s got great acceleration and there’s not many who will get past him. Can go missing at times though.

Screenshot2013-11-04at131255.png

Maselela Moses

Only came onto the scene this year and has possibly developed quicker than any other yougster we have. I use him on the right wing but can fill in up front if needed.

Screenshot2013-11-04at131317.png

Mxolisi Mathopa

Mxolisi is our starting poacher and has been bagging his fair share of goals his season despite it being his first year in the senior side. Still has plenty potential to develop.

Screenshot2013-11-04at131340.png

Thabang Mzizi

This lad has been BANGing them in his first senior year! Sorry for the awful pun but it had to be said. Currently top goalscorer at the club playing as a target man.

Screenshot2013-11-04at131354.png

Jomo Cosmos – 15/16

January

Fixtures

Screenshot2013-11-04at131052.png

League Table

Screenshot2013-11-04at131021.png

January was a near on perfect month for us as we won 5 and drew 2 games. We’ve still not been able to close the gap on Orlando pirates, hoewever, who are 7 points ahead of us.

I was disappointed to draw at home to Swallows but apart from that there wasn’t much else we could do! I was chuffed to get the win over Sundowns who are now only 2 points ahead of us in second.

Jomo Cosmos – 15/16

February & March

Fixtures

Screenshot2013-11-04at142105.png

League Table

Screenshot2013-11-04at142045.png

Our title challenge has ended. Not a great month for us with the lowest point being the 2-1 loss at home to Orlando. Sundowns have been on a great run recently and sit 10 points ahead of me on equal points with Orlando.

I’ve got to aim to get third place now, Kaiser Chiefs are only 1 point behind and I won’t let them catch me!

I’d love a wee cup run seeing as the title is out of our grasp and we made a good start by beating Sundowns in extra time in the first round.

Youth Intake

Screenshot2013-11-04at141843.png

Not much to report in this intake, some ok potential there and I’ll try and loan a couple of these lads out to get them up to speed.

Jomo Cosmos – 15/16

April & May

End of Season

Fixtures

Screenshot2013-11-04at152721.png

League Table

Screenshot2013-11-04at152707.png

I’m starting to develop a hatred towards 2 certain teams in the league here. I was absolutely furious at losing out to Orlando Pirates at home in the quarters of the cup. The really painful thing was that if we had beaten them there were only low level teams left meaning we had a real chance at winning our first piece of silverware. In the end we just didn’t turn up to the match and we need to break this hold the big teams have over us at times.

My other nemesis, Sundowns, stuck the knife in by thumping us 5-1 at home on the last day of the season and this actually won them the title, finishing 13 points above us and 2 ahead of Orlando.

I’m glad we finished 3rd though and confirmed our place in the top 3 by beating Kaiser Chiefs 3-2 away from home in a great performance.

All in all, although we fell short of winning the title, we've had a good season (we were expected to finish 9th) to top off my third year in charge of the Cosmos. I've been delighted with the way our youngsters have performed and the future certainly looks bright.

Our budgets aren't set to change next season based on what the board are saying. We're still looking at a transfer budget of zilch with a weekly budget of 30k.

Still, I can't complain, like I said, we've got some great youngsters at the club and they'll only improve year on year.

I'm getting itchy feet now so want to win the league (then hopefully the CL) sooner rather than later. I don't think we're far off so hopefully this will be the year for us!

I haven’t applied for any more jobs since going for Penarol last year and I’ve decided I’m going to stay in South Africa until I complete this part of the challenge.

Despite not winning a manager of the month award I was able to pick up this:

Screenshot2013-11-04at154436.png

Players of the Year

Matsilele Sono – MC – Continues to be our main man in midfield, grabbing 10 a piece for goals and assists. Orlando Pirates actually came in win a 400k bid for him which I laughed at. This kid has a place in my hall of fame if he wants it but I’m going to wait until he leads the club to continental glory!

And this is always nice to see:

Screenshot2013-11-04at154427.png

Mxolisi Mathopa- ST - A good return from Mxolisi in his first senior year at the club. He bagged a goal every other game and I think he can improve even further next year.

Thabang Mzizi- ST - His link up play is crucial to the way our team works and I think that’s shown in his 12 assists. Was top goalscorer after netting 17 times and looks to be forming a strong partnership with Mxolisi, above.

Archived