“I Done Bought Myself Olympiakos” (FMS Characters)

Spav

Yep, but your brother-in-law's nose is still setting after you pushed it halfway across his face. :D

Good he deserves it, ruining what had been a good season for me up to then....

Hope all is forgiven and the squad won't hold my little indescresion against me

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excuse this bump, but I have some good and bad news.

The good news: After playing and writing this for several months I got a bit bored once we'd won the league and I'd reached the end of the season, so I took a break, started a new story and got hooked on that instead. However I have promised myself to finish writing up the season (4 games still to go) and compile a wrap-up and these updates should appear very soon.

The bad news: I have played ahead on two different machines and the game crashes around July before I can start the second season. I have several back-up files stored at various stages on my flash drives and I will try them all to see if they allow me to push on. If so, season two at Olympiakos Volou will eventually appear on this forum.

CopperHorse arrived outside the offices at the EAK Volou stadium to find his entry blocked by a young Greek woman who sat on the steps. She stood up as it became clear to her that Copper was going to enter the building. As she got to her feet it was obvious to Copper that she heavily pregnant.

“Can I help y’all, miss?” asked Copper politely.

“You Mr Horse?” she enquired in broken English.

“Yes, that’s me”.

“Please, I see player”.

“Which one of my players did you want to see, miss?”

“Balthazars”. She patted her pregnant stomach. “He my baby’s father”.

The young woman, whom Cooper had discovered was called Sophie, was happily seated in Copper’s office with a cool drink for company as he went downstairs to find Tenthreeleader before training got underway. Seeing Copper charge into the rooms with a look of agitation on his face Tenthree figured that something was wrong and moved over to greet him.

“Something up, Copper?” asked Tenthree.

“Knocked up, more to the point”, replied Copper.

“Huh”.

“I’ve got me a young Greek woman up in my office, at least eight months pregnant”.

“Copper, you sly dog, what have you been up to?”

“Goddamit, Tenthree, it’s not my baby”.

“Oh, sorry. So whose is it then?”

“Well, she’s asking for Balthazars”.

“Balthy? I don’t think he’s got himself a girlfriend at the moment”.

“Maybe they ain’t in a relationship. Perhaps he just got her pregnant and abandoned her”.

“Balthy doesn’t strike me as the kind of fella to do that”.

‘Well, me neither, but she’s sitting up in my office plain as daylight asking for the daddy of her baby”.

“Fine, let’s sort it out then. I’ll bring Balthazars upstairs and we’ll get to the bottom of this”.

Balthazars denied all involvement when first questioned by Copper and Tenthree in one of the outer offices. He happily agreed to meet the girl to sort out what was obviously a case of mistaken paternity as far as he was concerned. The trio went into Copper’s office, only to see Sophie grimacing and holding her stomach whilst standing in a pool of liquid.

“My water broken”, announced Sophie shakily. “The baby, it come”.

With that, Sophie slumped back onto her chair and began to moan loudly.

“Tenthree, call an ambulance”, shouted Copper. “Balthazars, over her with me”.

Copper and Balthazars laid Sophie out on the carpet and put a cushion under her head. Sophie screamed out in Greek as a contraction hit her.

“I’ve never seen her before”, stated Balthazars to Copper as Sophie held Balthazars’ hand for support.

“We’ll sort that out later, fella. This here girl ain’t gonna wait for the ambulance, so I reckon”.

“The ambulance is on the way”, shouted Tenthree as he ran back into the room.

Sophie was screaming in Greek at the top of her voice now and Copper could see that she was bearing down. With Tenthree and Balthazars at either side holding Sophie’s hands Copper took a kneeling position between the young woman’s spread legs.

“Hell, the head is coming already”, announced Copper as he looked down.

It took barely two minutes of pushing by Sophie before Copper was holding a healthy baby boy in his hands and then passing him over for the new mother to cradle on her chest.

Copper, Tenthree and Balthazars looked on in amazement at Sophie and the new child that they had helped bring into the world. It was Balthazars who noticed the obvious characteristic of the baby and proceeded to state it.

“That’s a very deep shade of brown skin that the baby has. It goes so well with his African features as well, not at all Oriental in anyway”.

“I’d say you’re pretty much spot-on there”, replied Copper. “If you’re that there boy’s father, then I’m the Queen of Sheba”.

The squad rotation policy for the final four matches of the season started with the full-backs Weeeman27bob and Flipsix3 being replaced by Faramir and O\’Hara fan. In the midfield Kewell08 and Salkster2102 were replaced by Mark Wilson27 and Spav whilst there were no changes up front.

03/03 – Chalkidona (H) – B Division

GK – BobBev

DR – Faramir

DC – JimT (sub 70 CopperHorse21)

DC – SCIAG

DL – O\’Hara fan

MR – Gavrenwick

MC – Spav (sub 70 Salkster2102)

MC – Mark Wilson27

ML – Balthazars (sub 70 Kewell08)

SC – Chesterfan2

SC – Tenthreeleader

The refreshed Olympiakos team started strongly as Copper and Tenthree had hoped. Early testers from Balthazars and Chesterfan2 put the Chalkidona keeper Kotsolis on notice that he would be in for a busy day. The first goal soon arrived after 14 minutes, created by Gavrenwick’s accurate cross and finished off by the lethal Tenthreeleader from twelve yards with a controlled volley. Faramir made the second goal in the 23rd minute, overlapping well to reach Spav’s pass and crossing for Tenthreeleader to head home at the near post. O\’Hara fan provided the platform to make it 3-0 after 32 minutes as he took a leaf from Flipsix3’s book and marauded down the left wing before crashing in a shot that Kotsolis could only parry. Chesterfan2 gobbled up the opportunity to lash the loose ball into the empty net for his twelfth goal of the season. JimT hit the post with a header after 42 minutes before Chalkidona finally got a shot on goal from Christou in the 44th minute, only for BobBev to deal with it quite easily.

The second half started slowly with Chalkidona perhaps intent on damage limitation. SCIAG’s no-nonsense approach saw Katemis bought crashing down by a crunching tackle in the Olympiakos box, but the referee ruled the ball had been played first despite the visitor’s protests. That signalled a five-minute spell of sustained Chalkidona pressure, but BobBev was equal to anything that was thrown at him as he denied Emeka and then Vorias twice with fine saves. Olympiakos wrestled back the control as Chesterfan2 thumped a twenty-five yarder into the crossbar after 69 minutes. A triple substitution saw CopperHorse21, Salkster2102 and Kewell08 come on for JimT, Spav and Balthazars respectively. BobBev made his only mistake in the 74th minute as he completely missed a cross from Stefanidis, but Katemis wasted the free shot and ballooned his effort over the Olympiakos crossbar. As the game wore down Faramir was still full of running and he contributed another assist in the final minute, dribbling past Kakuta and crossing for Tenthreeleader to bring up his hat-trick with another delicate near-post volley that made the final score 4-0.

Olympiakos Volou (3)4 Tenthreeleader 14, 23, 90, Chesterfan2 32

Chalkidona (0)0

Copper trudged from the field with a smile on his face after his twenty-minute stint on the pitch. Tenthree met him at the tunnel and they walked into the change-rooms together. “Hell, that was a fine way to end the week, playing with fellas after helping to deliver a baby into the world”. Tenthree slapped his boss on the back. “It was a lovely gesture of Sophie’s to name the little fella ‘Copper’ as well”. Copper laughed and replied, “Yeah, now everyone thinks he’s somehow mine”.

CopperHorse shook his head in disbelief as he heard the details of the latest escapades of one of his players from Tenthreeleader. All week he’d heard of strange goings-on and this latest prank by Flipsix3 was about to bring the mayor of Volos and his chief of police to Copper’s office; obviously to issue a warning that things were getting out of hand.

“So tell me again – why the hell was Flipsix3 riding himself a unicycle through the waterfront restaurant district whilst wearing a nurse’s uniform?" asked Copper.

“Apparently it’s part of some mighty strange treasure hunt that a couple of the fellas have cooked up. There’s some sorta points system for the wackiest combination of items found and Flippers was going all-out for top spot on the ‘table’ with this there effort”, replied Tenthree.

“So why the Sam Hill is the mayor and the chief of police coming to see me? If Flipsix3 wants to make a total ass of himself in front of people, then that’s his choice. I can’t believe it’s against the law to ride a unicycle in a nurse’s uniform in Volos”.

“Copper, it’s only a problem when the unicycle and the nurse’s uniform were both taken without the consent of their owners though. There’s not many unicycles in Volos apparently and the owner of the one that Flippers was riding happened to be eating dinner with friends in the waterfront restaurant district at the time”.

“Tarnation, you mean Flipsix3 done stole the items?”

“Well, he calls it ‘borrowing’ cos he returned them both straight away. It’s just that he done cut the chain that the owner had used to lock up his unicycle and the fella found it that way when he got home, so he called the police”.

“And what about the nurse whose uniform he took – did she complain as well?”

“No, she’s okay about it. In fact, Flippers cheekily asked her out and now they’ve got a date for this Sunday evening!”

This week’s rotation saw the left side of the team restored to full strength as Flipsix3 returned in place of O\’Hara fan at left-back whilst Kewell08 took over from Balthazars on the left wing.

10/03 – Patraikos (A) – B Division

GK – BobBev

DR – Faramir

DC – JimT (sub 60 PaulHartman71)

DC – SCIAG

DL – Flipsix3 (sub 60 Salkster2102)

MR – Gavrenwick (sub 72 Terk)

MC – Spav

MC – Mark Wilson27

ML – Kewell08

SC – Chesterfan2

SC – Tenthreeleader

Patraikos were hoping to clinch the second promotion place for themselves as they hosted the champions in the third-last round of the season, but instead they found themselves completely outclassed. Kakoglou had the first shot for the home side after just 2 minutes, but BobBev tipped it away for a corner. After that it was one-way traffic up the other end as Olympiakos showed why they had won the title by streeting the rest of the field in the B Division. Faramir, Tenthreeleader and Mark Wilson27 all went close to opening the scoring before SCIAG surprised everyone with a quickly taken free-kick that rattled the Patriakos crossbar after 33 minutes. The goal that was threatening to come finally arrived after 37 minutes with Gavrenwick continuing his fine form with a cross that Tenthreeleader prodded in at the near post to make it 1-0. Straight from the restart Mark Wilson27 won the ball and sent Gavrenwick racing down the right wing again. In a carbon copy of the goal a minute earlier Gavrenwick crossed low and Tenthreeleader poked it home at the near post for his twentieth goal of the season to make it 2-0. Patriakos would have been looking to get off the field as soon as possible to stop further damage to the scoreline, but it was not to be as Mark Wilson27 surged into the penalty area after 45 minutes before laying the ball off for Kewell08 to smash it past Triadafilidis for a 3-0 half-time lead.

Chesterfan2 fired wide early in the second half when he really should have hit the target and that was soon followed by a Mark Wilson27 free-kick which ruffled the side netting with the keeper well beaten. In the 60th minute JimT left the field to be replaced by PaulHartman71 whilst Salkster2102 substituted for Flipsix3. Chesterfan2 continued his wayward shooting by slicing Spav’s cross well wide from fourteen yards out in the 67th minute. Olympiakos made their final change in the 72nd minute with Terk coming on for Gavrenwick. The game petered out in the final quarter-hour with the only noteworthy event being a stoush between Chatzis and Kewell08 that saw the Patraikos midfielder push his opponent in the chest and be lucky to escape with only a yellow card from the referee. Patraikos would have to wait at least another week to claim their hoped-for promotion whilst the final 3-0 scoreline took Olympiakos’s unbeaten league run to twenty-four matches.

Patraikos (0)0

Olympiakos Volou (3)3 Tenthreeleader 37, 38, Kewell08 45

Copper sat quietly in the corner of the change-rooms with a barely-suppressed smile and a smug look about him. Tenthree couldn’t work out what it was that Copper was hiding, but he was sure it would all be explained soon. It was only after the first few players had showered and towelled down that he realised what Copper had done. SCIAG had returned to his locker to find his clothes gone and a nurse’s uniform in its place. Spav, Gavrenwick and JimT all found the same thing as well. Tenthree wrapped a towel around his waist and went out to see what the commotion was all about.

Copper was laughing away madly and looked nearly fit to have a seizure. “Fellas, all your clothes are on the team bus”, he announced between bouts of laughter. “If you all want to get up to shenanigans that get me chewed out by the mayor and the chief of police, then I can play the same game too”. Spav in particular didn’t look too impressed. “The towels are the property of Patraikos, so you can’t wear them out to the bus – you’ll have to wear the nurse’s uniforms or run buck-naked, it’s up to you”.

Tenthree smiled broadly at Copper’s unique retribution and saw Copper grinning back at him. “Don’t laugh too soon, good buddy”, said Copper. “I saved the shortest nurse’s uniform just for you”.

I could get used to this, you know.

(Taking free kicks, that is)

SCIAG, as one of the few outfield players not to score so far this season I hope your radar finds its range soon as there are only two matches left.

• 3 weeks later...

CopperHorse was still finding Terk’s decision hard to take.

The owner of Olympiakos Volou sat in his office late in the afternoon after training had ended and all the players had left the stadium for the day and he recalled the earlier conversation that he’d had.

At the end of the training session Terk had told his assembled team-mates that he intended retiring at the end of the season. There had been cries of disbelief from several players, but Terk insisted that his action was the best decision.

Copper had called Terk aside as the rest of the players headed for the showers and asked him what had prompted his decision to retire.

“Old age mainly”, laughed Terk. “Hell, I’m the oldest person at the club at 39 years of age and I’m not getting any younger”.

“Damn, age don’t mean nothing”, Copper replied. “It’s all about dedication and commitment and heart”.

“Don’t you think I’ve thought long and hard about this, Copper. If it was down to heart and I listened to mine, then I’d be staying on until they carried me out of here in a coffin”.

“Then why don’t you, Terk?”

“Cos I’ve got a head as well as a heart, that’s why. Gees, I’m only good for sixty to seventy minutes a week here in the B Division, so imagine how I’d be next season. I’d be a year older and up against even better players in the A Division. No, I think it’s time to hand over my jersey to a younger man before I make a fool of myself”.

“No-one would think you a fool if you stayed on, Terk”.

“No, Copper, maybe none of the lads would, but the opposition would and I’m sure the press would have some fun at my expense”.

Copper didn’t know what to say to make Terk change his mind, so he remained silent. Terk continued his explanation after a moment.

“I’m sure you’ll understand when I say this, Copper, but I never expected things to go so well here in Greece. I’ve played in the lower leagues all around Scotland and England without much success, but when the chance came to join Olympiakos Volou I said to myself that this would be my swansong. To have ended up with such a great bunch of lads and a league championship medal to boot is just the icing on the cake of my footballing career. Now is just the right time for me to hang up my boots”.

Copper nodded his head in agreement with Terk’s justification.

“I respect your decision, Terk. However, that doesn’t mean I have to like it”.

Now back in his office Copper shook his head sadly. With Tenthree’s help he’d built this club up from nothing after all the previous players had walked out. The new players had worked hard and shown their commitment to the cause and they’d been rewarded with the league title and promotion to the top flight of Greek football.

Along the way they’d become a close-knit family and Copper just hadn’t expected anyone to be leaving so soon.

Flipstyle’s exile from the starting eleven finally ended as BobBev handed over the goalkeeper’s jersey for the match against Paniliakos. PaulHartman71 also returned as JimT stood down for this game. On the right wing Terk would start in his last game at the EAK Volou stadium and Gavrenwick would warm the bench this week. Up front Tenthreeleader continued the rotation policy by dropping himself and allowing Balthazars to come into the starting line-up.

17/03 – Paniliakos (H) – B Division

GK – Flipstyle

DR – Faramir

DC – PaulHartman71

DC – SCIAG

DL – Flipsix3

MR – Terk (sub 69 Weeeman27bob)

MC – Spav

MC – Mark Wilson27 (sub 69 Gavrenwick)

ML – Kewell08 (inj 48 O\’Hara fan)

SC – Chesterfan2

SC – Balthazars

The tone of this match was set in the 12th minute when the Paniliakos keeper Kopsahilis was sent off for a professional foul on Chesterfan2 as the Olympiakos skipper rounded him and was about slot the ball into an empty net. Paniliakos had to take off their striker Giannakidis to bring on their reserve keeper Karakoutsis and that meant that they would then be committed to merely performing a game of containment. Terk was unanimously given the responsibility for taking the spot-kick by his team-mates and he made no mistake as he whipped the ball high into the roof of the net for a 1-0 lead. If having a man sent off after 12 minutes wasn’t bad enough Paniliakos then added to their woes as Zoumba headed Faramir’s cross past his keeper for an own goal to make it 2-0 after 19 minutes. Balthazars then bought a fine save from Karakoutsis, although the reserve keeper was lucky not to join his senior counterpart Kopsahilis in receiving a red card a few minutes later when he charged out of his area and bought Chesterfan2 crashing down yet again. A yellow card curbed Karakoutsis’s enthusiasm, but he was still energetic enough to turn away a scorching shot from Spav a minute before the break.

The second half was only a few minutes old when Kewell08 pulled up with a thigh strain and had to be replaced by O\’Hara fan. The substitute moved to left-back allowing Flipsix3 to take up Kewell08’s left-wing role, but it was still O\’Hara fan who made the third goal. He interchanged passes with Mark Wilson27 and drove a low cross through the Paniliakos six-yard box where Mitsakis inadvertently poked the ball past his keeper for another own goal to push the score out to 3-0. There was a cheer for Terk from the Olympiakos fans as he left the pitch after 69 minutes to be replaced by Weeeman27bob whilst Gavrenwick also substituted for Mark Wilson27. Weeeman27bob’s first touch was a powerful header from O\’Hara fan’s corner that Karakoutsis did well to tip over the crossbar. Flipstyle made his first save after 77 minutes as he palmed away Petkovic’s chipped shot before it dropped into the net and that was the last decent action of what was Olympiakos’s final home match of the season.

Olympiakos Volou (2)3 Terk pen 12, Zoumba own goal 19, Mitsakis own goal 52

Paniliakos (0)0

Copper sent Terk out onto the pitch on his own after the players had vacated the park and the Olympiakos fans responded with a standing ovation for their veteran right-winger as he stood in front of the main grandstand and waved goodbye to them one last time.

CopperHorse looked out over the expanse of the ballroom at the Hotel Oxyacetylene and smiled happily at the sight of the room full of people. It was packed with guests for the reception that followed the wedding of SCIAG and his fiancée Elena Paraskevas. Whilst the wedding itself had been a solemn affair, the reception was lively and bubbly as everyone celebrated the union between the Englishman and his Greek bride.

Tenthree wandered over to Copper with a fresh glass of champagne for him.

“That was a mighty fine speech you made there, Copper”, said Tenthree as he handed over the glass.

“Why, thank you, good buddy”, replied Copper as he accepted the glass and took a swig.

“I particularly liked how you done said that the marriage not only cemented the loving relationship of a fine couple, but that in a greater sense it sealed the healing of the rift between the city of Volos and its football club”.

“And it’s true. Look at this here place – it’s full of us foreigners who weren’t welcome when we first arrived and heaps of locals who’d done lost their football club. Now both groups are mingling together, happy in each other’s company and both looking forward to the future”.

“It sure has been one hell of an experience, Copper”.

Copper raised his glass of champagne and clinked it against Tenthree’s glass.

“I’ll certainly drink to that, my friend”.

CopperHorse21 was given the captain’s armband for the final match of the season as he replaced PaulHartman71 in the centre of defence. With Kewell08 out injured Flipsix3 pushed up onto the left wing and Salkster2102 came in at left-back. Gavrenwick was the starter on the right wing as Terk dropped down to the bench whilst the league’s top scorer Tenthreeleader returned up front at the expense of Balthazars.

24/03 – AOAN (A) – B Division

GK – Flipstyle

DR – Faramir

DC – CopperHorse21

DC – SCIAG

DL – Salkster2102 (sub 62 O\’Hara fan)

MR – Gavrenwick (sub 77 Terk)

MC – Spav (sub 62 Okkas)

MC – Mark Wilson27

ML – Flipsix3

SC – Chesterfan2

SC – Tenthreeleader

The crowd had barely settled into their seats before the visiting champions Olympiakos took the lead against AOAN after just 80 seconds. Gavrenwick was fouled about thirty yards out by Gottwald and Mark Wilson27 quickly took the free-kick, guiding the ball to Tenthreeleader on the far post where the player/manager nodded the ball past the keeper for his twenty-first league goal of the season. SCIAG meanwhile was denied his first goal off the season after 12 minutes as the post prevented his crashing volley from crossing the line. The Olympiakos centre-half wasn’t to be denied however and after 23 minutes SCIAG powered a header past the keeper Gialamas from Flipsix3’s left-wing corner to make it 2-0. Up the other end CopperHorse21 was having trouble containing Gegas – AOAN’s top scorer for the season – and only a fine save from Flipstyle denied the striker his twelfth goal of the campaign. The first half ended with Olympiakos in the ascendency though as Mark Wilson27 bought a superb save out of Gialamas as the home keeper tipped away the midfielder’s spectacular overhead-kick.

The woodwork came into play as the second half began with both Flipsix3 and Mark Wilson27 rattling shots against the AOAN crossbar. When Chesterfan2 did manage to get a shot on target and past the keeper after 59 minutes it was Valkanis who cleared the ball off the line with a diving header. O\’Hara fan began the round of substitutions after 62 minutes as he came on for Salkster2102 whilst Spav took a break at the same time as he was replaced by Okkas. Faramir and Tenthreeleader were the next to find the shots saved by the keeper Gialamas as Olympiakos looked for a third goal. The third and final substitution was a sentimental one as Terk came on for his last match in an Olympiakos shirt after 77 minutes with Gavrenwick giving way so that the Scotsman could finish his career on the pitch instead of the bench. It was Terk who created the final chance of the match as well, beating Valkanis in the 89th minute and crossing for Mark Wilson27 to head goalwards, only to see Gialamas flick the ball away for a corner. A couple of minutes later the referee’s whistle bought Olympiakos Volou’s hugely successful league season to an end with Copper’s team unbeaten throughout its entire twenty-six-match campaign.

AOAN (0)0

Olympiakos Volou (2)2 Tenthreeleader 2, SCIAG 23

Copper grinned as he walked from the pitch with SCIAG. “Married life must suit you, fella”, he said to his defensive colleague. “You’ll have to get married every Saturday if you’re gonna put in a performance like that on the Sunday”. SCIAG laughed. “Don’t say that too loud, Copper, because if Elena heard you she’d surely agree. She absolutely loved our wedding day yesterday”.

Mark Wilson27 appeared beside SCIAG and slapped him on the back, saying “Nice double, mate”. SCIAG looked confused. “What do you mean?” he asked. Mark grinned and replied, “Well, you know – a double – cos you finally scored last night and now you’ve scored again today”.

Greek National B Division - Sunday 24th March

Pos     Team                            Pld  Won  Drn  Lst  For  Ag   Pts
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1st  C  OLYMPIAKOS VOLOU                26   22   4    0    56   11   70   
2nd  P  Patraikos                       26   13   10   3    33   16   49   
3rd     Serres                          26   12   6    8    30   25   42   
4th     Chalkidona                      26   15   5    9    40   44   41   
5th     Paniliakos                      26   11   7    8    36   37   40   
6th     Kalamaria                       26   11   6    9    31   30   39   
7th     Proodeftiki                     26   10   7    9    37   30   37   
8th     AOAN                            26   10   6    10   36   33   36   
9th     Apollon                         26   10   6    10   38   38   36   
10th    Kallithea                       26   10   2    14   43   44   32   
11th    Kalamata                        26   7    4    15   40   56   25   
12th    Aigio                           26   6    4    16   31   47   22   
13th R  Athinaikos                      26   4    7    15   17   36   19   
14th R  Giannena                        26   2    10   14   20   41   16   

CopperHorse got to his feet at the front of the Olympiakos team coach, put his fingers to his lips and blew a piercing whistle to attract everyone’s attention. The noise level quickly subsided as the players looked up to see what Copper had to say.

“Fellas, I know you’re all done thinking that the season’s done for us now that we’ve gone and played our final league match against AOAN, but I just wanna let y’all know that we’ve got us one more match to play”.

There were looks of bewilderment on the faces of the players. They knew that the league campaign was over, the club was no longer in the Greek Cup and that there were no playoff games that they knew of.

“So who are we playing, Copper?” shouted Weeeman27bob, “cos I wanna get back to England and see my family and friends.

“Yeah, and I’ve got a honeymoon to go on”, added SCIAG.

“Alright, hold your goddam horses and I’ll tell you”, replied Copper.

Everyone looked keenly at Copper up the front of the coach as they waited for his reply.

“I got me a call from the owner of a really big club back on Friday. Due to a weird anomaly in his club’s fixtures they’ve done got themselves a two-week break right here in the middle of a period when they wanna be keeping totally match-fit. Now this here owner has been following our fortunes at Olympiakos and he reckoned it would be an intriguing match-up to have Europe’s only unbeaten professional team – that’s us – play his team in a high profile friendly”.

“Come on, Copper, just tell us”, pleaded Flipstyle.

“Alright, alright”, said Copper, before pausing again for dramatic effect.

“On Wednesday we’re flying off to England and on Saturday we’re playing at Anfield against Liverpool”.

In the next few seconds you could have heard a pin drop on the Olympiakos team coach, but then the silence was soon ended by a series of raucous cheers.

Tenthree, who hadn’t known anything of the plans for the match, was just as excited as the rest of the players and he spoke to Copper as they cheering continued.

“Hell, Copper, you sure know how to throw a good thank-you party. This is sure gonna be one fine way to end the season”.

“I’m glad you’re happy about it, Tenthree. Now let’s see if you’re still done smiling next Saturday evening after you’ve spent ninety minutes up against Sami Hyypia and Stephan Henchoz”.

***********************************************************************************************
Olympiakos Volou - Sunday 24th March
************************************************************************************************

================================================================================================
Fixtures
================================================================================================

Date      Opposition     Ven Competition           Res    Scorers
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
08.08.01  Pierikos       H   Greek Cup Grp 4       1:0    Chesterfan2
15.08.01  Doxa D.        A   Greek Cup Grp 4       6:0    Chesterfan2 3, Balthazars 2, Mark Wilson27
19.08.01  Iraklis        H   Greek Cup Grp 4       4:0    PaulHartman71, Spav, Chesterfan2, Kewell08
16.09.01  Giannena       A   National B Division   0:0    
23.09.01  Kalamaria      H   National B Division   3:0    Flipsix3 pen, Tenthreeleader, Okkas pen
30.09.01  Kallithea      A   National B Division   1:0    Chesterfan2
07.10.01  Proodeftiki    H   National B Division   1:0    Terk
14.10.01  Aigio          A   National B Division   2:0    Tenthreeleader 2
21.10.01  Kalamata       H   National B Division   4:1    Tenthreeleader 2, Balthazars, Spav
28.10.01  Apollon        H   National B Division   3:1    Kewell08, Flipsix3, Spav
04.11.01  Athinaikos     A   National B Division   1:0    Spav
11.11.01  Serres         H   National B Division   2:1    Tenthreeleader, Mark Wilson27
18.11.01  Chalkidona     A   National B Division   2:0    Mark Wilson27, Sherm
25.11.01  Patraikos      H   National B Division   1:1    Tenthreeleader
02.12.01  Paniliakos     A   National B Division   0:0    
09.12.01  AOAN           H   National B Division   3:1    Salkster2102 2, Chesterfan2
16.12.01  Giannena       H   National B Division   1:0    Faramir
06.01.02  Kalamaria      A   National B Division   2:0    Mark Wilson27 2
13.01.02  Kallithea      H   National B Division   3:2    Chesterfan2 2, Tenthreeleader
16.01.02  Olympiakos     H   Greek Cup 3rd Rnd     2:3    Venetidis og, Chesterfan2
20.01.02  Proodeftiki    A   National B Division   3:1    Kewell08, Tenthreeleader, JimT
27.01.02  Aigio          H   National B Division   4:1    Chesterfan2, Tenthreeleader 3
03.02.02  Kalamata       A   National B Division   2:0    Tenthreeleader, Mark Wilson27
10.02.02  Apollon        A   National B Division   2:2    Mark Wilson27, Tenthreeleader
17.02.02  Athinaikos     H   National B Division   2:0    Gavrenwick, Salkster2102
24.02.02  Serres         A   National B Division   2:0    Flipsix3, Tenthreeleader
03.03.02  Chalkidona     H   National B Division   4:0    Tenthreeleader 3, Chesterfan2
10.03.02  Patraikos      A   National B Division   3:0    Tenthreeleader 2, Kewell08
17.03.02  Paniliakos     H   National B Division   3:0    Terk pen, Zoumba og, Mitsakis og
24.03.02  AOAN           A   National B Division   2:0    Tenthreeleader, SCIAG

************************************************************************************************
Olympiakos Volou - Sunday 24th March

Senior Club Stats

No  Name                       Apps     Gls    Con    Pens     Asts   Yel    Red    MoM    Av R
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11  Balthazars                 20 (3)   3      0      0        3      0      1      0      7.13   
31  BobBev                     11       0      9      0        0      0      0      0      7.45   
9   Chesterfan2                20       12     0      0        2      1      1      2      7.50   
17  CopperHorse21              2 (3)    0      0      0        0      0      0      0      6.60   
2   Faramir                    18 (6)   1      0      0        4      0      0      0      6.92   
3   Flipsix3                   27       3      0      1 (1)    3      3      0      0      7.19   
1   Flipstyle                  19       0      5      0        0      0      0      0      7.42   
24  Gavrenwick                 9 (8)    1      0      0        3      0      0      0      7.00   
16  JimT                       12 (1)   1      0      0        0      0      0      0      6.62   
12  Kewell08                   27 (1)   4      0      0        4      0      0      1      7.43   
6   Mark Wilson27              22 (1)   7      0      0        9      1      0      3      7.70   
19  O\'Hara fan                2 (5)    0      0      0        1      0      0      0      6.57   
13  Okkas                      3 (4)    1      0      1 (1)    1      0      0      0      6.71   
4   PaulHartman71              21 (2)   1      0      0        0      1      0      0      6.83   
5   SCIAG                      25       1      0      0        1      4      0      0      7.28   
29  Salkster2102               7 (10)   3      0      0        1      1      0      1      7.12   
7   Sherm                      8 (4)    1      0      0        1      0      0      0      6.67   
8   Spav                       28       4      0      0        3      2      0      2      7.11   
14  Tenthreeleader             25 (3)   21     0      0        5      0      0      8      7.82   
15  Terk                       12 (5)   2      0      1 (1)    3      1      0      0      6.88   
18  Weeeman27bob               11 (6)   0      0      0        1      0      0      0      6.82   

“I’m glad you’re happy about it, Tenthree. Now let’s see if you’re still done smiling next Saturday evening after you’ve spent ninety minutes up against Sami Hyypia and Stephan Henchoz”.

Would that be both marking me at once or one at a time? < flexing muscles >

:D

Whoohoo! A friendly against Liverpool! Awesome!

Unfortunately, my performances for the team are not so great. My average rating is decent, but only 3 goals and 3 assists in 20 starts is a pretty poor return for the team. :(

CopperHorse and his Olympiakos Volou team were given a first class welcome by Liverpool co-owners George Gillet and Tom Hicks with the home club footing the bill for Greek club’s accommodation for four days from Wednesday to Sunday. They had also agreed to share the gate receipts on a 50/50 basis with their visitors.

Copper had heard that his club had built up a cult following, but he was still amazed to see fans in Olympiakos shirts as the team arrived for the Saturday evening friendly. Hundreds of people queued up for a special autograph session and Copper found that it just wasn’t Liverpudlians who had come to watch his team.

“I’ve come up from Southampton”, one young man in his early twenties told Copper. “I wouldn’t miss this game for anything. I’ve been following the team via the television and internet since I heard about your scheme to sell places on e-Bay back in July last year. If I’d had $1,000 back then I’d have tried to buy a spot on the team myself”.

“Your support is really touching”, Copper told the fan. “We’ll try our damnedest to put on a good show for y’all tonight”.

Copper and Tenthree named a strong starting line-up, but with substitutions expected at the interval they held back SCIAG, Flipsix3 and Spav to give more experience to the team’s second half efforts. Kewell08 was cleared to play after his recent thigh strain and Sherm kitted up for Olympiakos as well, but he was still in plaster and on crutches after breaking his leg and he would play no part in the actual match. Unfortunately for Okkas he badly twisted his ankle in the warm-up and would have to miss out on playing on the famous Anfield pitch.

30/03 – Liverpool (A) – Friendly

GK – Flipstyle (sub 46 BobBev)

DR – Faramir (sub 46 Weeeman27bob)

DC – PaulHartman71 (sub 62 CopperHorse21)

DC – JimT (sub 46 SCIAG)

DL – O\’Hara fan (sub 46 Flipsix3)

MR – Gavrenwick (sub 62 Terk)

MC – Salkster2102 (sub 46 Spav)

MC – Mark Wilson27

ML – Balthazars (sub 62 Kewell08)

SC – Chesterfan2

SC – Tenthreeleader

In front of just over 43,000 fans the game started at a lung-bursting pace. Heskey had the first shot after 3 minutes, but Flipstyle held it well. When Balthazars got a bit of room on the left wing after 6 minutes he quickly whipped a cross into the box. Dudek came for it, but he collided with Hyppia and Chesterfan2 and the ball spilt free for Tenthreeleader to prod it home under pressure from Henchoz for a shock 1-0 lead to the visitors. Liverpool came back quickly as Gerrard and Redknapp took control in the centre of the park despite the best efforts of Mark Wilson27 and Salkster2102. Owen and Smicer both shot inches wide from good positions as Liverpool searched for an equaliser. The goal that was threatening came after 22 minutes as Heskey laid off Redknapp’s pass and Berger sent a low shot across Flipstyle and into the far bottom corner to make it 1-1. Owen’s pace was a constant menace and twice he ran clear of JimT, firstly shooting wide and secondly seeing Flipstyle save with his legs. When Gerrard put Smicer clear after 35 minutes the Czech winger reached the bye-line and pulled the ball back for Owen to sidefoot Liverpool into a 2-1 lead from ten yards out. Chesterfan2 then headed wildly over the crossbar from Faramir’s cross and Mark Wilson27 fired a free-kick a foot wide of Dudek’s goal as Olympiakos attempted a comeback. However the half ended with Liverpool still ascendant as Heskey crashed a shot against the post from fourteen yard with Flipstyle well beaten.

Both teams made a swag of changes at half-time with Olympiakos bringing on BobBev for Flipstyle, Weeeman27bob for Faramir, Flipsix3 for O’\Hara fan, SCIAG for JimT and Spav for Salkster2102. It took several minutes for the teams to settle and when they did it was Liverpool who went 3-1 ahead after 53 minutes. Murphy played a pinpoint pass for Gerrard to break clear and crash a vicious shot past BobBev from the edge of the box. After 62 minutes Olympiakos made their final set of substitutions as Terk replaced Gavrenwick, Kewell08 came on for Balthazars and CopperHorse21 subbed for PaulHartman71. A fine BobBev save denied Litmanen after 66 minutes, but the keeper could only watch after 71 minutes as McAllister’s long range shot cannoned off the crossbar. Olympiakos chances had been scarce, but after 76 minutes Spav produced a rasping twenty-five yarder that beat Kirkland all ends up and pulled the score back to 3-2. The appreciative fans cheered the visitor’s efforts, but Liverpool still held the ascendancy with Fowler and Barmby both shooting just wide. As the clock ran down Olympiakos threw everyone in attack. In injury-time Terk won a corner after Vignal blocked his cross and the Scotsman took it himself. SCIAG powered a header goalwards and it struck the arm of Carragher on the goal-line with the referee awarding Olympiakos a penalty. Chesterfan2 grabbed the ball and put it in Copper’s hands, telling him to take the kick. The defender placed the ball on the spot and went back before quickly turning and running up to crash it straight down the middle. Kirkland however had dived to his right and the penalty by CopperHorse21 tied up the scores at 3-3. Liverpool barely had time to kick-off before the referee bought the highly-entertaining friendly to a close.

Liverpool (2)3 Berger 22, Owen 35, Gerrard 53

Olympiakos Volou (1)3 Tenthreeleader 6, Spav 76, CopperHorse21 pen 90+2

Copper led the Olympiakos players on a lap of appreciation for the fans that had come to see his team play against Liverpool. It had been an amazing few days at the end of a truly memorable season and this moment just capped it off perfectly. As the players soaked up the atmosphere of this finale to their season, Tenthree ambled over to join Copper on their stroll around Anfield.

“I would’ve done expected to be grabbed by men in white coats and locked up in an asylum if I’d have told anyone a year ago that I’d be playing against Liverpool at Anfield”, said Tenthree. “Hell, I wouldn’t even have believed myself”.

“And yet here we are, good buddy”, replied Copper, “and that’s down in no small part to you, what with your work both on and off the pitch”.

“No, it’s been a real team effort, Copper. You and I together in the office and then teamed up with the fellas on the park”.

“And in a couple of months time we get to do it all again. We’ve done got us a season in A Division to look forward to”.

“One thing at a time, Copper. Let’s just enjoy this here moment for a little while longer”.

“There’s no problem about that, Tenthree. In fact I’ll be savouring this whole goddam season for the rest of my life”.

THE END (maybe)

CopperHorse and his Olympiakos Volou team were given a first class welcome by Liverpool co-owners George Gillet and Tom Hicks with the home club footing the bill for Greek club’s accommodation for four days from Wednesday to Sunday.

I smell an anachronism :D.

Great stuff, Spav, it's been a good tale :thup:.

Rather sad that technical problems might well bring an end to this great tale, but I have certainly enjoyed the ride. A great end to the season and a fitting way to round off the story (although Hicks and Gillet weren't owners of Liverpool at the time this game is set, were they?)

Excellent work! :thup:

From the OP:

“Cos I’m gonna be a soccer mogul like that George Gillet and his buddy Tom Hicks at Liverpool and that Randy Lerner fella at Aston Villa”.

The saved game is being played on CM01/02 (Original Data) with just the Greek leagues selected.

No date is ever actually specified, even though we know the version of the game.

This forum is lacking a "geek" smiley.

Bearing in mind, of course, that Volou is Spav's world and we just live in it, who's to say that Gillett and Hicks didn't buy Liverpool back then? He has to but will it, and we get to live it.

Back on topic, Spav, this was a heck of a ride. Great job!

Thanks to everyone for the comments and participation throughout this story. :thup:

The story is finished as far as this thread is concerned. I still have several versions of the saved game from various points near the end of the season and I may well attempt to get a second season out of this save despite the earlier indications that it may be corrupted, however at the moment I'm all 'Volou-ed' out and I won't be trying to resurrect it the next couple of months.

Cheers, Spav.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived