FM on a MacBook Air

Hi guys

Considering a new laptop.

Ideally would love a MacBook air, but not sure how it would handle the likes of FM.

For the price, I'd want it to be able to run it fairly well and process matches in 3D without any trouble.

How have people found FM 2013 in the 2013 MBAs (or earlier).

I don't really game much on the laptop, so don't feel I can justify spending a large amount on a gaming specific laptop. I think the MBAs battery and portability add value for me, as well as integration with my iOS devices, so I can just about justify it.

Though if I have to bump up ram and processor to get a decent machine then that's no longer the case.

I play FM13 on my Mid 2012 MBA and it runs fine, but I only use the 2D Match Engine as the 3D can be a little laggy at times. It does get quite warm as FM is very processor intensive, though the new MBA's have the lower energy Haswell processors, so it may not get as warm, but I would recommend getting a cooling mat to sit on your lap or use the MBA on a desk to prevent overheating and damage of components.

The newest Macbook Air's come with the latest Intel HD 5000 integrated graphics card (as well as Haswell processors), which is a fairly reasonable increase over the Intel HD 4000.

We have done a lot of optimisations for FM 2014, so the Macbook Air's running Intel HD 4000 should run 3D better than even FM 2013 (in "Low" detail) and I already know this as I use a Macbook Air with the 4000 series graphics card. I haven't seen how the HD 5000 compares, but all reviews point to a good performance gain for the Air series over the 4000 series, so in theory it will be better yet, but keep in mind that these kind of laptops are not really designed for gaming in mind.

The newest Macbook Air's come with the latest Intel HD 5000 integrated graphics card (as well as Haswell processors), which is a fairly reasonable increase over the Intel HD 4000.

We have done a lot of optimisations for FM 2014, so the Macbook Air's running Intel HD 4000 should run 3D better than even FM 2013 (in "Low" detail) and I already know this as I use a Macbook Air with the 4000 series graphics card. I haven't seen how the HD 5000 compares, but all reviews point to a good performance gain for the Air series over the 4000 series, so in theory it will be better yet, but keep in mind that these kind of laptops are not really designed for gaming in mind.

So it would only be able to run it well at low detail?

And how do you think it would handle a couple if divisions from 7 or 8 leagues with a large database (maybe half at background detail only)?

Not great for a €1300 piece of equipment. I assume the retina MBP should be able to handle it better (assuming they get a had well upgrade on Monday)?

Though the 13" doesn't have dedicated graphics currently, so I guess if I want any sort of decent gaming chops I need the 15" retina, which is well above my budget.

Sorry for all the questions, but FM is a big consideration got me here, and want to know I can play future versions too.

definitely no issues with how it runs.

only minor problem with FM13 was that it didn't have a view for a 13 inch MBA. You had to download a Notebook skin (which was good). Not sure if FM14 comes with the view as it's had several graphical enhancements

Not tried as I only load ones I may move to in the game - you can always add more each new season anyway. I doubt there would be any problem at all though - I have 4.5 stars - I bet you could crank up the league count and still have it running well. As for the screen size, just run it windowed and adjust to fit - works fine and you can put into a separate desktop in mountain lion to keep things tidy. I think they said there's a proper setup for the Air res this year though so that may be even better.

I have a retina MacBook Pro 13" and FM13 ran like an absolute dream so I'm guess 14 will too. One thing I've noticed that annoys me playing FM14 windowed is that I can't stretch the window to fill the whole of my screen? It won't go completely down to the bottom of the screen, there's about half a centimetre gap where it won't go?

I have England down to Conference N/S + Scotland all the way down + a custom database of players going up to 31,000. It runs really quickly, probably quicker than 13 actually. I used to do England, Scotland, Italy and Spain and never had a problem with that so I doubt it'd cause much strain here.

I had the exact same problem for when i upgrade my Macbook, which one Macbook Air or Pro? until i went into the Apple store to get some advice, now the decision is made (for me at least).

The new macbook pro's are cheaper effectively, so at £1,249.00 a:

13-inch: 2.4GHz

with Retina display

2.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5

Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz

8GB 1600MHz memory

256GB PCIe-based flash storage

Intel Iris Graphics

Built-in battery (9 hours)

Processor, RAM and flash storage can all be upgraded if you buy direct from apple's website

so a 2.6GHz, Turbo Boost to 3.1GHz, with 16GB RAM... will cost just shy of £1500, only £380 more dear that the most expensive macbook air with no upgrades, for twice the processor and triple the RAM. not to be sniffed at

It all depends on how much you want to spend.

Archived