Love FM2011 - but also love up to date squads - help me!

I've been playing FM2011 for the last few years, and really enjoy it, it's my favourite FM game. I'm not a hardcore gamer these days, simply more of a casual pick-up-and-play person, and I've reached the point where I understand the game mechanics for 2011, understand why I'm winning and why I lose games, and the tactical depth seems perfect for me with my limited time. I don't win all the time, so it's definitely not that I just like the easy life, but I do like having reached the position of being able to make decisions that realistically impact the result, and I feel like it would take me a while to get to that stage with another version (2012/2013 or wait for 2014).

I could just stay with 2011 and keep playing. However, I do love having up to date squads, and it'd be great to start a new season and have Soldado at Spurs, and Negredo/Jovetic at Man City, etc.

I could find an FM11 update, but I assume those updates just move the players to their right teams, and don't update their abilities/ages/histories. For example, Chelsea's De Bruyne and Van Ginkel could easily be put into Chelsea's squad, but they wouldn't be ready for the first team, whereas they probably are at the moment. I can't imagine anyone's gone to the trouble of updating players' ages and abilities just for a FM11 update.

My ideal solution would be to play FM2011 with a 2014 proper SI-authorised database update. Do SI release their databases (obviously at a cost) for me to buy?

If not, what do people think is the best? How different is FM2013 (and presumably 2014) to 2011? Will I find it easy to pick up and play without having to learn new tactical approaches? Will my FM2011 tactics be effective on 2014?

Advice and comments much appreciated!

I am in the same boat as you, except I did buy FM13. For the most part I have struggled to find success. I have since returned to playing FM11, but I do really miss the updated teams/data.

If you can enjoy an FM game without winning trophies and overachieving then buy the newest version. If you need to be a winner to enjoy the game then you are probably going to have to pick a top team to manage.

if your tactic in FM11 didn't exploit ME then it will work in FM13. All you need to find out is how to translate the FM11 tactic to FM13 tactic.

Other things to consider is player/team morale have more impact in FM13 then FM11, so this could be a new area for you.

I didn't knowingly exploit the ME - I just set up my team as I would normally, then made tactical tweaks through trial and error until I reached the stage where I was happy with the performances. I wasn't winning everything but I was competitive and everything at least made sense.

My concern about a new game is that I don't have time now for extensive trial and error and I'd like to use where I am now with FM11 as a starting point. I don't want things to not make sense, or "hidden" new features tripping me up.

If I play FM13 just like I play 11, will I find it enjoyable or frustrating?

I am in the same boat as you, where I am already very familiar with the mechanics and quirks of FM11. I enjoy the game immensely and like how it is - not overly complicated but not too simple either. If I get FM14, it'll be learning everything all over again and I am not sure if I have the time and stamina to do that.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been updating FM 2011 as of late. I am in the process of completing the latest transfer window and the job will be done. I have also changed a hell of a lot of players attributes along the way - including a massive overhaul of youngsters within the game. This is by no means perfect, but it will be a great, enjoyable update to play once completed. Its been a long term project, and started with merging a few old databases together and going from there and ended up with me spending hours on it.

It might not be too everyone`s liking, for example Rangers and Celtic are in the Premier League as I was only planning on doing the update for myself, and of course the players ages mean they are 3 years younger than present day, but seeing as there is perhaps a demand for this I`m more than happy (if someone can point me in the way of a free filehosting site - I`ve never used one to upload anything before) to upload for anyone that wants it.

All promotions/relegations for the start of this season have been done too, along with a huge overhaul and update player stats wise for the MLS.

Let me know if anyone wants it, and as soon as I`ve done this transfer window (could take me 3 or 4 nights) then i`ll upload it.

Cheers

For my part I'd like to be able to port a savegame from old version to new. I have been playing a career game with a friend in 2011 and it's a shame that you have to rewrite history in a new version. If the savegames could be ported, there would have been at least a little more business for the SI as well these past years. ;)

This is something I'd really like to see in some form in the future.

For my part I'd like to be able to port a savegame from old version to new. I have been playing a career game with a friend in 2011 and it's a shame that you have to rewrite history in a new version. If the savegames could be ported, there would have been at least a little more business for the SI as well these past years. ;)

This is something I'd really like to see in some form in the future.

Nice idea as it is, given the changes from one game to the next, I don't see it happening. The new games are more than data updates, so making new features compatible with saves from previous games- and vice versa- would be a nightmare. I can't think of any series that does support that, from Civ to FIFA to Gears of War.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been updating FM 2011 as of late. I am in the process of completing the latest transfer window and the job will be done. I have also changed a hell of a lot of players attributes along the way - including a massive overhaul of youngsters within the game. This is by no means perfect, but it will be a great, enjoyable update to play once completed. Its been a long term project, and started with merging a few old databases together and going from there and ended up with me spending hours on it.

It might not be too everyone`s liking, for example Rangers and Celtic are in the Premier League as I was only planning on doing the update for myself, and of course the players ages mean they are 3 years younger than present day, but seeing as there is perhaps a demand for this I`m more than happy (if someone can point me in the way of a free filehosting site - I`ve never used one to upload anything before) to upload for anyone that wants it.

All promotions/relegations for the start of this season have been done too, along with a huge overhaul and update player stats wise for the MLS.

Let me know if anyone wants it, and as soon as I`ve done this transfer window (could take me 3 or 4 nights) then i`ll upload it.

Cheers

I have put the file in the editors hideaway.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/361134-FM-2011-Update-Completed

Nice idea as it is, given the changes from one game to the next, I don't see it happening. The new games are more than data updates, so making new features compatible with saves from previous games- and vice versa- would be a nightmare. I can't think of any series that does support that, from Civ to FIFA to Gears of War.

I know. And it could never be a perfect port and that would certainly make me uneasy as a developer. I think that a third party program would be a more likely bet. It's huge amount of work though, and someone would need to be very awesome, very dedicated and very slightly mad to pull it off. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Because new isn't always better.

Really? For me each version always betters the previous as technology advances every year.

Ok there may be bugs and match engine issues when changes are made (CM4 was a prime example but we could see the changes were there to improve the overall game)

Really? For me each version always betters the previous as technology advances every year.

Ok there may be bugs and match engine issues when changes are made (CM4 was a prime example but we could see the changes were there to improve the overall game)

But this isn't about you is it? They like the older versions, fair play to them, let them enjoy it. I personally think 11 isn't particularly that good, but it's their choice of game and why not?

The User interface has changed alot in FM13 and FM14 compared to FM11, so you'd have to get used to that. The skin, certain screens are different etc. (I'm really not a fan of the new interface compared to the old one) Information was easier to take in with a quick glance on FM11 compared to FM13.. and it looked more neat and tiday.. where as it all looks misplaced on FM13.

Alot of other things have changed, such as the training schedules etc. If your well into FM11 (which you sound like you are) it might take you a while to get used to the newer FM's.

FM11:

2YjUjOt.jpg

Ra6lHHN.jpg

FM13:

MtXgyl1.jpg

GRhGsFo.jpg

I have to agree that FM11 was a really enjoyable version, I still play on it from time to time.

It would be nice if there was something like your asking for introduced from SI.. but they would never realistically ever do that.

They spend alot of money and hours creating new versions each year.. so they wouldn't update an older version of the game, which is only likely to deteriorate sales/profits for their latest installment.

But this isn't about you is it? They like the older versions, fair play to them, let them enjoy it. I personally think 11 isn't particularly that good, but it's their choice of game and why not?

Will you relax? This is a forum for discussing the game and I'm just interested to know what peoples opinions are. I only gave my opinion, I wasn't saying everyone has to go along with it!

I enjoyed FM12 more than FM13 because of one of the best saves of my FM career but I believe FM13 to be a more superior game.

The User interface has changed alot in FM13 and FM14 compared to FM11, so you'd have to get used to that. The skin, certain screens are different etc. (I'm really not a fan of the new interface compared to the old one) Information was easier to take in with a quick glance on FM11 compared to FM13.. and it looked more neat and tiday.. where as it all looks misplaced on FM13.

The UI definitely changed a lot for FM12 and it was poor compared to previous versions.

However I thought SI made great improvements to FM13 which allowed for much easier navigation with less clicking.

Small things like 'Add to Shortlist' were now available with one click which made life much easier

Archived