Picking penalty takers

Hi guys,

I´d like to hear your advices on this subject that is driving me crazy. I have lost my last 3 finals all on penalty kicks. I know a great factor of penalties is of course luck, but maybe my method of picking penalty takers isnt´the ideal one. Usually what I focus on is the attribute of penalty taking, combined with composure, then finishing and later what I perceive to be the experience/maturity of the players. For example under equal circunstamces, I´d prefer a 29 year old central defender to take a penalty instead of a 19 year old winger.

What do you think of my method, and what else can I improve (besides winning the matches on 90 minutes :))

Thanks

You should also take into account the hidden pressure attribute. You'll notice that certain players are much more likely to get nervous in games - these players don't respond well to pressure. It also means they don't make the best players to take decisive penalties in shoot outs. This is more than just composure.

So to me it's also about weighing up the personality of the player - are they determined to win, are they good at coping with pressure - in other words, can you rely on them? I've won shootouts with very young teams in the past by selecting those players I believe will hold their nerve based on how they play in general, and also on how well they're playing in the current match.

I do look at the penalty taking attribute of course, but sometimes I'd rather rely on Mr. Reliable than Mr. Buckles-under-Pressure. I'd also say that this should be a factor in who takes which penalties. Make sure your fifth penalty taker will hold his nerve, as he's the one who can win it or lose it and often has the most pressure to deal with. It's also a good idea to score the first one, otherwise all your players will be under pressure!

Maybe I go about things the wrong way, but I don't allocate penalty takers at all, for penalties at any time. My thinking is that if we are required to take a penalty (or penalties in the case of a shootout) the player who feels most up to it will step up of his own accord. As yet, we've only missed a small amount in several seasons of play.

On the last game (FM12) I ended up checking the players motivation before the shootout (open up the widget in extra time and monitor it) and selecting them based on this.

Anyone "looking nervous" or any similar white text description does not take, even if they are my best.

Anyone "looking motivated" or any similar blue text description does take, sorted then by the attributes you listed. (GKs excepted)

Just my policy, but over the last few games I have noticed that when my best players missed (usually even if it gets saved), they simultaneously had a negative motivation description. This cost me a Europa League final (I spent 10 minutes debating whether my best taker who was "having an awful game" should take a pen, only for him to blaze over to cost me the shootout.)

Merely my own superstition, but I do swear by it.

Maybe I go about things the wrong way, but I don't allocate penalty takers at all, for penalties at any time. My thinking is that if we are required to take a penalty (or penalties in the case of a shootout) the player who feels most up to it will step up of his own accord. As yet, we've only missed a small amount in several seasons of play.

So you just press continue and dont bother looking who is picked?

So you just press continue and dont bother looking who is picked?

Yes, pretty much! I have never, ever, told any of my teams who to take penalties and in what order. I leave those decisions to the boys on the pitch, who (in my mind) are going to step up and take them if and when they feel up for it.

If it's a really important match I've been known to get all tactical for my penalty takers. I get the best five, or at least arguably the best five, and then let the best one take penalty number three. I've always believed that putting the best first and so on is a bad idea, so I like to get my strength right in the middle when some players might miss.

I can't remember the last shootout I lost actually...

Archived