Option 'he is the weakest link in their team'

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone uses this option at all? In my previous game as Liverpool I used it quite a bit. For example, I was playing Chelsea away, I told their right back (azpallicuata or however it is spelt!) that he was the weakest link, then got a press release from him saying my comments had effected him and, low and behold, he had an absolute shocker and got a rating of 5.1! Also used it before a game with man utd (made comments about Evans and Vidic) and again they both had shockers and I won 4-0.

I am now playing as Milan, used the same trick about some Galatasary defender and he was taken off at half time he was that bad!

Does anyone else use this or use any of the mind game options on players rather than on the managers?

p.s I have told Rooney before that he wasn't that good and he scored 4 in one game, so I wouldn't recommend that one

Pretty good article on it here: http://www.guidetofootballmanager.com/match-day/preparing-for-the-match/using-the-media#commenting-on-an-opposition-player

I like to target the opposition keeper first. It's good not to overuse it though. I save it for matches in which I'm not the favorite and, if not the keeper, pick a player who I know will start and whose personality means I am all but assured it will unsettle him.

I tried this earlier on, I used to use it in previous versions but on fm12 found it didnt work really so stopped

Fulham actually dropped there keeper because of what I said! Needless to say Suarez took full advantage of the reserve keeper, an amazing 4 goals towards a 8-1 win!

Stockdale scared of messing up would of been the better option than there stand in, even he can catch a ball :)

• 1 year later...
Yeah you have to be careful as the player you target could react positively and have an absolute blinder! I used to use it and had mixed results...you sometimes get a negative reaction in your own team as well so you have to be careful.

I used to do this a lot until I noticed what my comments would do to my own players. I have a very professional squad and a lot of my players deemed my comments targeting opposition players unprofessional. It upset them, my players, to the point that it had an adverse effect on their performances big time. So I stopped using them.

I always worry that it will backfire, so I avoid it. I tend to not give answers that can backfire if my team should be able to win without mind games. I guess picking out someone that has a poor ability to handle pressure is the way to go? So comment on people that are reserved and never comment on people who are light-hearted/spirited/evasive/unflappable?

The AI uses this against me often, but it's a bit silly.. they always pick out a player that would in most circumstances not be on the pitch, like a reserve goalkeeper or similar.

I've always considered it bad form (although I don't mind calling out Neil Lennon), and since I'm also managing the Scotland U19's, criticizing teammates of potential call-ups is unprofessional.

I call out defenders with low determination/team work/bravery. Always check their personality description first and only do it if they are listed as having a negative personality - like - low determination/slack/easily discouraged.

Archived