Changing star ratings?

Alright folks,

I'm managing in lower leagues and have noticed that the star rating for CA/PA keep changing for my players, despite having the same Ass/Man.

For example, I signed a player who had five star CA/PA and when I signed him, he still showed at that level. After a couple of matches he's now showing as less than one star?

Do the star ratings get updated with match scouting for my own team?

Admittedly the mental attributes of my staff are RUBBISH, but still, they should be consistently rubbish?

D

If you don't scout the player for some matches, the knowledge of your staff about the player is to low. After you sign the player, your staff will start to known better the player and the rating could change. When possible is important to scout the player for 4 or 5 matches and the report will be more precise. For example, if your scout watch the player for a single, but for coincidence he has great match and the rating will be higher. But if on the next matches the player perform badly or not so well, the scout will adjust his opinion.

I don't know if Football Manager scouting engine works just like that, but I believe that is something very close to this logic.

The variations I'm experiencing aren't related to scouts, but coaches. So it's not a discrepancy of what the scout saw and what the coaches assess as the real value of a player once in the club, it's just coaches changing star rating for many players. Also, this happens very often, maybe every 8 games there is a re-assessment, sometimes with extreme changes, for example, a 3 star in current ability becomes a half a star.

I noticed this too.

I always put it down to some players developing pushing the average up and players not developing. It's seems to happen every time I get a news report about training (who increased and decreased)

If you have a player with potential and good attributes to "boost" that development they are going to get good and push players down the ability order.

Also it happens if a players reputation increases/decreases too. If a player isn't playing games his reputation is getting worse (how can his reputation increase or stay the same if nobody hears about him)

There are many factors to include in the star ratings. Relying on them is not the best practice but for some people they don't have the time to assess every player at the club.

They appear to be a mixture of actual ability, reputation and coach's ability to spot ability.

I have played with fmrte before about this, as a test. I took my 32 year old cm (used for tutoringonly ) boosted his hame and current report to maximum. Suddenly he is worth millions the best midfielder at my club and every other player at the club took an assistant ability hit. (half to 1.5 stars when it was 3-4 before)

I then reset him back to what he was and picked on my "best player" (according to assistant) and found he was only 3rd best current Ability wise but had the highest reputation. I halved it and he became my 5th best striker.

I then thought about messing with my staff, I set my cm back to maximum and made all my backroom staff be a 20 in everything. This boosted my striker up to 3rd best (he was 1st best before messing) and my cm to third best (was 6th)

I reloaded my save and made the changes to the 2 players as above and edited league reputation, this affected the player by half a star. Increasing the league reputation the player’s ability decreased and vice versa.

I swear to god I have NO luck in ever getting a player's CA to match what his PA was when I bought him. Loans are routinely disastrous for my players, they either perform horribly or get little playing time and come back in a deteriorated state from when I lent them out. When I started my career Lukaku was something like 2/4.5 in terms of CA/PA. I lent him out for 3 consecutive seasons and by the end of that he was at 2/2.5 and I ended up selling him at a cut-rate price.

When I started my career Lukaku was something like 2/4.5 in terms of CA/PA. I lent him out for 3 consecutive seasons and by the end of that he was at 2/2.5 and I ended up selling him at a cut-rate price.

You trusted the AI to develop one of your brightest prospects for three seasons in a row rather than doing it yourself via tutoring, individual training, and match time? Deary me. :D

His PA star rating has lowered because he hasn't progressed and has basically "hit the wall" in terms of how much of his original potential he can now reach.

You trusted the AI to develop one of your brightest prospects for three seasons in a row rather than doing it yourself via tutoring, individual training, and match time? Deary me. :D

His PA star rating has lowered because he hasn't progressed and has basically "hit the wall" in terms of how much of his original potential he can now reach.

Yes I understand why/how his PA has deteriorated, but I guess I just don't understand how to bring up prospects. I thought that when they were young and not ready for first team action, that's the time to loan them out? No? Do you think he would have turned out better if I kept him at the club and he got maybe 5-10 first team appearances with most of his time spent in the reserves?

I'm not being facetious here, I really want to know when people think it's appropriate to loan players out.

Yes I understand why/how his PA has deteriorated, but I guess I just don't understand how to bring up prospects. I thought that when they were young and not ready for first team action, that's the time to loan them out? No? Do you think he would have turned out better if I kept him at the club and he got maybe 5-10 first team appearances with most of his time spent in the reserves?

I'm not being facetious here, I really want to know when people think it's appropriate to loan players out.

I personally don't like loaning out young players at all. The only time I tend to do so is if I don't feel i can't affect their development enough by keeping them at the club.

I might occassionally give a 17/18 year old a short term loan, (half a season at the most), as they're still young enough for me to mould them into the kind of player I want them to be when they return.

Interesting. No loans? Does anyone else develop young players this way? It's a pretty big departure from how I've been playing, but I'm open to ideas because historically I have not been so great at developing young players.

Well I did't say no loans exclusively, just that I'm picky about when I loan players out.

For instance I wouldn't dream of loaning out a youngster who I was hoping to develop for first team football between the ages of 18 and 21. Those are very important years when players should be looking to break into the team. If by the age of 21 he has't made the breakthrough, then I'll get rid.

I never loan my youngsters out, everyone that I've signed aged 17 or 18 I selected as available for reserves and given them a few games here and there. Everyone of them has developed extremely well this way.

Well it sounds like I need to change my philosophy on this matter then. I've made a habit of loaning youngsters out and it hasn't exactly served me well, as evidenced by my development of Lukaku.

On the original topic.

I have one player who reports 1 star ca 5 star pa when you hover over the "i" panel next to his name. On the report page he is 4 star rated in his position and has a 5 star potential, I forget now what his ca rating looks like on this page, I'll look later.

Based on attributes, I'd say he probably is 3-4 star ca. I've not reported it as a bug as he is the one player I have with a dodgy personality, and I was wondering whether, as this happens only with him, whether that might be the reason.

On the original topic.

I have one player who reports 1 star ca 5 star pa when you hover over the "i" panel next to his name. On the report page he is 4 star rated in his position and has a 5 star potential, I forget now what his ca rating looks like on this page, I'll look later.

Based on attributes, I'd say he probably is 3-4 star ca. I've not reported it as a bug as he is the one player I have with a dodgy personality, and I was wondering whether, as this happens only with him, whether that might be the reason.

What are your assistants ability judging ratings like?

The report section is a coach report, I think your best coach tells you his opinion. On the squad screen the ratings you see is the assistants opinion.

I am guessing here but I suspect you assistant has a low CA judging stat. Also is this player a reserve player, ie not played, or least started many games? His reputation is probably low which would show to be a rubbish player. A staff member with low CA and PA rating tend to have the "if I haven't heard of him then he's rubbish" attitude even if he is at the club.

What are your assistants ability judging ratings like?

The report section is a coach report, I think your best coach tells you his opinion. On the squad screen the ratings you see is the assistants opinion.

I am guessing here but I suspect you assistant has a low CA judging stat. Also is this player a reserve player, ie not played, or least started many games? His reputation is probably low which would show to be a rubbish player. A staff member with low CA and PA rating tend to have the "if I haven't heard of him then he's rubbish" attitude even if he is at the club.

I'm in BSS so not great, maybe 8 or so. The player is newish to the club so your theory may be right. It's not obvious why this only affects this player as far as I'm aware, although like I say, there are a few hints he my have some negative personality traits and perhaps this isn't being taken into account by some of my staff.

i've had a similar problem, but it affected my entire team, i had a regen with 4 1/2 stars pa drop 2 3 1/2 alan dzagoev dropped from 5 star ca and pa to 4 star ca and pa as well as many others

Has your team been promoted recently?

The star ratings are how good he is for your team and for the league you are in.

For example your regen could have potential to be a good player for tge league above so will have 4.5 stars rating whilst at your team in the league below. (say you are in the championship in England and his rating is potential to be a good premier league player) if you then gain promotion to the premier league you league beating 4 star players would take a hit in this league because the standard of players and league reputation is larger than the championship.

Also they can take a hit if you're teams reputation increases. Usually upon promotion or other accomplishments. Player reputation also increases from these events. With you saying all the squad decreases I will guess that the clubs reputation has increased more so than the players, more than likely due to promotion. (have you gained promotion or had a cup win or run since you last checked the star ratings.

Or it could simply be you have changed your assistant.

Has your team been promoted recently?

The star ratings are how good he is for your team and for the league you are in.

For example your regen could have potential to be a good player for tge league above so will have 4.5 stars rating whilst at your team in the league below. (say you are in the championship in England and his rating is potential to be a good premier league player) if you then gain promotion to the premier league you league beating 4 star players would take a hit in this league because the standard of players and league reputation is larger than the championship.

Also they can take a hit if you're teams reputation increases. Usually upon promotion or other accomplishments. Player reputation also increases from these events. With you saying all the squad decreases I will guess that the clubs reputation has increased more so than the players, more than likely due to promotion. (have you gained promotion or had a cup win or run since you last checked the star ratings.

Or it could simply be you have changed your assistant.

no thats the weird thing, I'm cska moscow, half way through the league same position etc, i just check the ca pa and they had decreased, hope its just a blip and they come back up. and the regen is valued at about £20m and is a first team player

Maybe your assistant has increased his judging ability? Non-players have a potential rating too and can improve.

When you say you checked do you mean using fmrte or genie scout? If so have you used fmrte to change anything? Like reputation of your yeam/players/league etc.

Maybe your assistant has increased his judging ability? Non-players have a potential rating too and can improve.

When you say you checked do you mean using fmrte or genie scout? If so have you used fmrte to change anything? Like reputation of your yeam/players/league etc.

i dont know what fmrte means or a genie scout, i just look at what it says on the players page or in the little i button thing on the left of their name

I get this a lot. I add 2 or 3 players at the start of the season and think my squad looks pretty good for a few weeks, Then by the time I play my first friendly 80% of my players have lost 3 stars form their ratings.

Fmrte is a editor that edits stuff while the game is playing and genie scout is a 3rd party scout program that tells you a players CAN and PA and gives a rating which tells you how likely a player will reach his PA.

I only asked with you saying you found out his current ability. I must have misunderstood. Sorry.

WH, there are so many variables to the star ratings. Best thing to do is look at the coach report and see what he says.

I signed players with potential for my bsp side and played them irregardless of ability. I'm now in league 2 and have a 2 star player described as a leading star for league 2. I have a 4 star player who is described as a leading star for league 1.

If I was to sell my 3 star and above players, my 2 star player listed above would become a 3-4 star player because he would be my best player and one of the best in the league too.

If you sign players and ratings decline, then that means you have signed better players than you already have, thus making your existing players "worse" by comparison.

If any club goes on a win streak winning 7-0 a lot and 10-1 their reputation will rise.

I'd say the clubs reputation has increased more than the individual players.

Essentially what has happened is the club has become bigger than its players. Just keep playing the way you are and sooner or later your players will catch up if they have the potential to.

This question comes up at the moment about once a week.

What there needs to be is a news message from your coaches - explaining why it has changed and giving you a link to the team report with the new changes.

yes, something ingame to explain it, would make it alto easier to understand as well

Archived