Avira anti-virus blocking FM13

Jpr

Just went to play FM13 after I downloaded the update (it was working fine before) and am greeted with this from my anti-virus (avira free anti-virus, which has never been problematic before)

screenhunter01oct261558.jpg

Steam then tells me the game is 'unavailable'.

Any ideas?

Yeah just to clarify again this is a false positive and there are no viruses in FM. Thanks.

Don't worry I know it's not a problem at your end :p

Did a full re-install of my antivirus but I think that somehow corrupted my game files, going to re-download and re-install FM now that I have added it to the exceptions, I should think it will work after that.

Cheers :)

edit: it's working fine now, thank you for helping! :)

• 2 months later...

That's a really awful piece of advice. Why not fix your .exe so it isn't acting like malware? Why not contact Avira and clarify that it isn't malware? I bought the game on Steam for me and my friend on sale and now I want neither if your solution is to just disable the thing that protects my PC.

That's a really bad piece of advice. Why not fix your .exe so it isn't acting like malware? Why not contact Avira and clarify that it isn't malware? I bought the game on Steam for me and my friend on sale and now I want neither if your solution is to just disable the thing that protects my PC.

many anti-virus software see .exe files as possible threats. Has very little to do with FM, more so with the anti-virus software itself.

oh and in case you firmly believe your precious anti-virus provides you with 100% protection: it doens't.

many anti-virus software see .exe files as possible threats. Has very little to do with FM, more so with the anti-virus software itself.

oh and in case you firmly believe your precious anti-virus provides you with 100% protection: it doens't.

All very true. All completely unrelated to anything I said. I never said it wasn't a false positive, I said telling the AV not to scan FM.exe was a rubbish solution. Nor did I say that it catches 100% of malware and it's ilk.

Oh elliot... spoken like someone who doesn't understand false positives....

Please don't swear on these boards either... thank you.

Oh welshface, spoke like someone who has poor reading comprehension. I never said it wasn't a false positive, making the AV just not scan FM.exe is a really poor solution. "Why?" I hear the screams from the gallery... because then different viruses, malware and spyware can alter FM.exe to actually make it real malware.

The point I'm trying to make is that if SI contact Avira, I'm sure it won't take more than 5 minutes to clear up. I went to upload it as a false positive myself thus doing the job of an SI monkey, but the limit for a file is 20MB so it seems like aforementioned monkey should be doing the chasing.

Archived