Euro 2012 Warm up Match - England V Belgium - KO - 17:15

Djstu23

this, basically. same old hard to watch england, but I do fear for us if we go a goal down.

hopefully roy has learned that:

1) welbeck should play instead of carroll (and also defoe over carroll).

2) walcott should start over milner if we want to score.

3) ox should start over downing.

Send him a text to remind him.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't believe anyone thought that or the Norway game were awful performances. Get a realistic grip on what England (and most international football) is like to watch, and how far more important results are compared to how pretty we look playing for 90 minutes.

Other top countries have done far worse in their warm-up friendlies.

Stop being so sodding negative, you'll enjoy it more :thup:

Whs

Everyone's pre-tournament matches are meaningless ... except ours.

The Hodge hasn't had much time and I get sick of hearing 'experts' after games talk about us not being able to hold onto the ball ... yes, WE KNOW, it's been like that since the beginning of freaking time! Maybe in 20 years it'll be different but it's not gonna be different now no matter who we have in the squad. This is what we are, we are still capable of getting results against good sides but it's likely the very, very best will beat us ... *news-bloody-flash*

Under Sven we sat deep all the time in 2 banks of 4 and hit the front man early. We tire as we're chasing the ball a lot. Every single person in the world knows this and the players too and the fact nothing has changed would lead you to believe they can't do anything about it. It's ingrained into them. If we can mix a bit more possession in with our game it'll be nice but we will not play like Spain or even Belgium.

Belgium have a lot of talent but we allowed them to pass in front of us, they hardly scared us. Great clean sheet and I think if we can keep 2 clean sheets like that in 3 group games then I reckon we'll get into the 1/4 finals which is acceptable.

I hope the France game is tight and we can keep our concentration and defend, who knows what will happen but if we lose then we have two more games against the mighty Sweden and Ukraine ... I mean capable of beating us but hardly sending a shiver down our spines, only cause we know how we underperform. If every player on all teams in our group plays well then we have enough to get out of the group.

No one likes playing 4-4-2 but it's certainly made us defensively solid here. It'd be nice if we can improve the attacking side of our game but Hodgson has hardly had time to work on that yet so I really can't be arsed jumping up and down about not keeping hold of the ball when we have never, ever done this no matter who the Manager is or where they are from

No one likes playing 4-4-2 but it's certainly made us defensively solid here. It'd be nice if we can improve the attacking side of our game but Hodgson has hardly had time to work on that yet so I really can't be arsed jumping up and down about not keeping hold of the ball when we have never, ever done this no matter who the Manager is or where they are from

I wonder how defensively solid we would have looked under Harry? Dunno if you can tell much from just two games but being as defensive as Roy is aswell as being successful with it gives me some confidence of getting out of this group. Only game i'm truly nervous about atm is the France one, but that could change!

I was in favour of 'arry getting the job, thought it would have been interesting but who knows what would have happened. I am sure Harry's friends in the media would have us believe we'd be blowing teams away with our free flowing football

He's not really a liability. He done what he can with Mertens, Mirallas and Hazard running at him. Plus, due to the fantastic tactic of 'stand in your 2 banks of 4', and not closing them down, no one was pick up their runners from midfield either. Would have been nice for Milner to join in. Richards would have got rinsed more due to his vulnerability at the back.

The only real mistake he made was when he went to clear a ball in the box and he sliced it.

He's not the best right back in the premier league or the world. Stop being wrong.
Sarcasm says hello.
I wouldn't pay that much attention to the player ratings in the papers, never seen such low ratings for a defence that kept a clean sheet and wasn't ovely threatened
I know. I'm just thinking from the stance that he wasn't filling me with confidence and how Ribéry/the French would do against him (thankfully I'm not an England fan so I don't have to worry about that! :D). What I don't get is how Richards didn't make the side (even though Zabaleta kept him out of the side towards the end of the season at Citeh)

A succession of England Managers seem to think that Richards doesn't follow tactical instruction very well. I think he's a bulldozer down that touchline though and I'd happily have him at least in the squad like most England fans, I would guess. Can still take Jones to cover a few positions and maybe drop someone else.

I guess Hodge got right back cover in Jones (and Jagielka at a push) as well as Jones covering in midfield so can afford to leave Richards out. I'd feel better with Kyle Walker in there too tbh and then people wouldn't care so much about Richards. I think it's the fact Walker is injured that has made it more surprising Richards isn't in rather than just surprise at his exclusion to begin with

He's the worst player in your back line by a country mile, was exposed yesterday.

He's only the worst player in our backline because the other 3 are very very good. If we do go with Milner in front of him it'll be fine - Milner's senible enough to know when to track back and cover and it's worth the odd mistake from Johnson to have him overlapping like he does.

Archived