Show me some 4-4-2 love!

I have counter and attacking mentality but with same formation and balanced fluidity for both. team instructions are . More direct passing, pass into space, work ball into box, drill crosses, exploit flanks, play narrow, much deeper defensive line, roam from position, hassle opponents, use offside trap, much higher tempo and be more expressive.

at home i use attacking and away i use counter. or when i see the opponents have more possession, i use counter.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have counter and attacking mentality but with same formation and balanced fluidity for both. team instructions are . More direct passing, pass into space, work ball into box, drill crosses, exploit flanks, play narrow, much deeper defensive line, roam from position, hassle opponents, use offside trap, much higher tempo and be more expressive.

at home i use attacking and away i use counter. or when i see the opponents have more possession, i use counter.

That's good.

Wonder if it would work with a BWM (d) or a BBM (d) in midfield along with an AP (a)?

I know the pairs & combination thread doesn't recommend using a BWM, but just thinking out loud

That's good.

Wonder if it would work with a BWM (d) or a BBM (d) in midfield along with an AP (a)?

I know the pairs & combination thread doesn't recommend using a BWM, but just thinking out loud

If you use 2 W (a), then I think the best pairing is DLP (d) + BWM (s). The DLP starts the play and holds position, the BWM tries to recover the ball as quickly as possibile and, depending on his attributes and PPMs, can also help the attack ("runs with ball through the middle", "gets into the opposition area"...)

I'm going in.

Liverpool. 4-4-2. AP(s) and BMM(d) in the middle with a P(a) and DLF(s) up top.

This raises a few questions (where to play Coutinho, getting the best out of Suarez, utilising Henderson, most of best players on the game play in the AM strata) but, hey, I'm an old school man at heart. Time to show the football world that 4-4-2 is alive and well.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying 4-DM-3-2 for the first time in my 2nd career (1st one I play Hertha) that I've just started with Watford.

AF(a) DLF(s)

W(a) REG A(d) WM(s)

FB(s) CD(s) CD© FB(a)

Control (home) Standard (away) - Fluid, a solid and short passing oriented philosophy when possible, more direct vs stronger teams.

Sometimes I switch some duties

AF(a) DLF(s)

WM(s) AP(a) A(d) W(a)

FB(a) CD(s) CD© FB(s)

I usually play with a more attacking fullback set to come up with my wide midfielder set to stay narrower, help the possession in the centre and eventually cover the space left by AP here. Anchorman gives protection and the DLF comes deeper to get the ball.

8 matches so far, 6w 2d (1 penalty win). Team usually plays well with good possession and many shots on goal.

Any suggestion?

My Liverpool save didn't last long but just won the Skrill South with 4 games to spare and a 14 point cushion using 442.

Despite my success, I am concerned by the gaps 442 leaves between defence and midfield. In a higher league, I am contemplating sacraficing a striker for a DM for added protection.

Check out my career updates at http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/386873-Outrunning-The-Black-Dog

Even if it was mainly counter-attack, Ancelotti used to play 442 with PSG in Ligue 1 and Champions League, they almost beat Barcelona with this tactic so it's not necessarily unrealistic to use it at high level and modern days.

Archived