An FM Career - Now With Added Bitterness.

hursty2

Mega signings there! Makes it interesting, rather than breaking top 4 then winning the Premier League! :thup:

Breaking top 6 is the first challenge. :D

Premier League definitely tough at the moment then.

Yeah, no one has come close so far.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JULY – OCTOBER UPDATE

Media Prediction: 12th

Board: Top Half Finish 21M/715K P/M

FA Cup: 1/4 Final

Carling Cup: Blood youngsters

Overall Aim: Get more consistency with results throughout the season which will be achieved through a more consistent line up.

TRANSFER NEWS

I really need to strengthen this season by adding some quality players to the team. I did so by bringing in four new first team players in the form of Lee Wallace (8M), John Fleck (6.5M), Shikabala (3.4M) and Simone Padoin (3M), spending all of my 21M budget. Hopefully these signings add stability to the first eleven and give me more consistency throughout the year. Tommy Martin a hot prospect at RB also came into the team for only 7K, who knows why he was so cheap?

StokeTransfers_History-1.png

PRE-SEASON

Not much to comment on here apart from some decent results, whilst again we went on a tour of Germany in where we seem so popular.

PREMIER LEAGUE

Only 6 games in and I’m unbeaten and sit in third place, which is my best start to a season so far. This has been down to great performances from new signings from Rangers, John Fleck and Lee Wallace. A good 1-1 draw with Chelsea shows the progression we’ve made as a team since last season.

StokeCityFixtures_Fixtures-2-2.png

LEAGUE CUP

A chance to play some fringe players and young players came and they have done well so far, winning both games against Bury and Aston Villa 3-0.

TOP TRANSFERS IN ENGLAND

BarclaysPremierLeagueTransfers_Transfers.png

Good start with solid signings.

Cheers!

Looking good! Lets hope you keep up the good performances or the board wont be happy! ;)

Yeah board will kill me for spending 21M. :D

Some room for improvement after previous seasons.

Let's hope so.

John Fleck he's the scottish Freddy Adu in my eyes, been around a bloody age and still a hot prospect on most games. Good start to season :thup:

Yeah, I think I've signed him in at least 3 of the past 4 FM's. :D

Fleck may turn out to be a good signing for you. Hopefully you'll be back in the top half next season

Looking good so far.

OCTOBER – FEBRUARY UPDATE

TRANSFER NEWS

I had one deal agreed throughout the season in time for the January window. This signing was a 25 year old Daniel Sturridge who had become unhappy at the lack of first team opportunities at Chelsea. He gives us another option up front as well as being an Inside Forward from the AML position.

DanielSturridgeOverview_Attributes.png

PREMIER LEAGUE

I haven’t, yet again, been able to string a good set of results together. I had a brilliant start to the season sitting around the CL spots but then I slowly faded off and now sit in a lacklustre 9th not far from Southampton but well off 6th place, again. I haven’t got a consistent striker that will bang in the goals all season long.

BarclaysPremierLeagueOverview_Stages-4.png

StokeCityFixtures_Fixtures-5.png

LEAGUE CUP

I reached the Quarter Finals again, bowing out to Liverpool 3-1 but not before I had comeback to beat Newcastle 4-3 in ET, in the previous round. It’s a Man Utd v Man City final, should be interesting.

StokevNewcastleInformation_Overview.png

FA CUP

It has only just kicked off but I was handed an easy third round tie with Fleetwood winning 3-0 then progressing onto another easy tie in the form of Rotherham, beating them 2-1. It wasn’t so easy after all.

KEY PLAYERS – SO FAR

John FleckHe’s my top scorer in the league and has been worth every penny I spent on him, although he has gotten two straight red cards so far this season.

Andras NagyHe’s not quite the finished article yet but he will eventually get there and hopefully be very lethal for me.

Tom CairneyJust been a really consistent performer.

You're starting to get somewhere now.

Doesn't seem that way atm. :/

Sturridge is a good signing, no doubt about that. John Fleck has developed rather well in your save - he's just not that good in mine. Andras Nagy is a really exciting prospect, though :)

Fleck is a beast, in fact Rangers as a team are! They won the Europa League first season and have been attracting and selling decent players all throughout my save.

END OF SEASON UPDATE 2014/2015

Well what a season of up and downs, with poor performances in the league whilst doing pretty well in the league. The club is apparently struggling for money at the moment too so it seems as if I will have to offload a few players in order to bring us back into the money.

PREMIER LEAGUE

Another disappointing season in the league, in where we only finished in 8th but perhaps that can be called an achievement based on last seasons position. All throughout the season we struggled to find any consistency in our results which ultimately led to our downfall.

BarclaysPremierLeagueOverview_Stages-5.png

FA CUP

Winners!!! Yes, you should have seen me when we clinched a 1-0 victory over Arsenal after they had only days earlier beaten us 4-0 in the league as well as not tasting defeat against us for a total of 8 games! I am so delighted with this win and it is my first trophy as Stoke manager in four years. In terms of tactic for that game I knew that we always seemed to concede a lot of goals against the big sides, especially in the last game against Arsenal. Therefore in the fixtures leading up to the final I played a 5-3-2 in order to sure up the defence and then hit them on the counter attack. This change in tactic definitely made the difference and Arsenal couldn’t break us down. This also meant that we’re in Europe next year too!

ArsenalvStokeInformation_Overview.png

STOKE CITY -KEY PLAYERS

John FleckHe was one of, if not my best player this season and scored the winning goal in the FA Cup Final, adding to his 12 goals in the league from AM. He also received PFA Young Player of the Year and deservedly so.

Andras NagyAnother great year for my young striker notching up 18 goals and breaking the record for most goals in a season at Stoke.

Tom CairneyThe young Englishmen, or should I say Scotsmen now, having taken up a Scottish cap was another key performer throughout the season.

Fabian DelphHe really put in some great performances throughout the season, pushing out Palacios in the pecking order.

Daniel SturridgeComing in January it is sometimes hard to settle in but Sturridge didn’t seem to have any problems.

PREMIER LEAGUE: 8th (Man City Champions)

LEAGUE CUP: 1/4 Final (Lost 3-1 vs. Liverpool) (Man City Winners)

FA CUP: Winners

RESERVES: 10th

YOUTH: 3rd

Europa League: Arsenal (2-0 ET. vs. Seville)

Champions League: Barcelona (1-0 vs. Man Utd)

Stoke Board Announce New Ten Year Sponsorship Deal

Peter Coates has said that he is delighted to finally be able to gain a new sponsorship deal for the stadium and is delighted that BBC Radio Stoke, have come back on board with the club.

“It’s great for the club and shows the progress we are making as a whole community rather than just a football club. New sponsor’s such as this one go directly towards developing youth football in the region.” Peter Coates claimed.

The deal is said to be worth 2M over 10 years and with this means that all Stoke news, such as transfers and the latest results as well as live coverage of the games, will be covered by BBC Radio Stoke.

BBC Radio Stoke also stated that a new Stoke City by BBC Radio App will be available from the iTunes app store as of today, which will include live streaming of radio and behind the scenes footage.

BBC is also reporting that Britannia have increased their funding to 2M per annum.

By Neil Jacobs

:cool: .

Britannia Stadium set for expansion

The club has stated recently that Britannia Stadium will undergo construction in order to increase its capacity to over 39,000 up from the 32,000 people it now holds.

The expansion costs are expected to cost Peter Coates and the board 9.5M but really shows the rest of the Premier League that Stoke are on the way up, especially after their recent FA Cup win.

However because of the proximity to the recent season the construction work will commence midway through 2016, in order for the club to come up with the funding needed.

Along with the stadium expansion the club also announced that its youth facilities are to be upgraded in line with the schedule for the stadium work.

Richard Little

BBC Stoke

As you can tell, I've just had a little conversation with Peter Coates. :D

JULY – OCTOBER UPDATE 2015

Media Prediction: 8th

Board: Top Half Finish 9M-715K P/M

FA Cup: 1/4 Final

Carling Cup: N/A

Europa League: 1st Knockout Round

Overall Aim: To push on in the league and make it into the top 7, maybe even breaking into the top 6 which no other team has managed. Europe wise I must make it out of the group stages and with some good results along the way, possibly push for a quarter finals game.

TRANSFER NEWS

It was a quiet transfer window for me, in terms of buying players with no massive amounts of money being spent. Only two players came into the squad, former Liverpool striker Oscar Cardozo (550K) and youngster Goran Knezovic (1M) adding to the Eastern European influenced side. Firstly, let me explain the signing of Cardozo or rather say what you’re probably already thinking. The man has exceptional finishing and composure and is an ideal role model for my young striker Andras Nagy, who he is now tutoring. If Nagy can develop at the rate he has previously done, especially improving his composure, I am sure he can become a great striker for me.

OscarCardozoOverview_Profile.png

This transfer window also saw me sell a few of my previously signed players. Rasmus Falk, my first signing at the club departed for a cool 7M, making a profit of 5.2M – he just wasn’t performing to warrant a place in my team any more. Another of my very first signings, Yassine El Ghanassy also left the club for 2.7M and he was definitely a massive disappointment and showed no evidence of improving. Finally a signing of just two seasons ago, Gary Hooper, left for Tottenham for 6.25M.

PRE-SEASON

In pre-season I let my assistant have a go at controlling the matches and he always seems to play the youngsters. It was somewhat disappointing but it is more about the fitness rather than getting results. I did have one competitive game, playing Man City in the Community Shield and despite dominating we again succumbed to a loss, courtesy of two Dzeko goals who seems to have a habit of scoring against us.

StokevManCityInformation_Overview.png

PREMIER LEAGUE

Not much to comment on here, we’ve only played 4 games and are sat in 11th position whilst the rest of the league have played six games. I’m hoping for some better results as the season progresses.

LEAGUE CUP

The third round drew me against newly promoted Premier League side, Cardiff. They were no pushovers and managed to take the game to extra time after forcing a 2-2 result. Then on in I thought I had won with a goal in the 107th minute but then they equalised several minutes later to take the game to penalties. The penalty shootout finished 4-2 to them and sent my young side out.

EUROPA LEAGUE

Maritimo were the team we had to beat in order to progress to the group stages and we duly did so, comfortably winning 7-0 on aggregate. Seeded second for the draw we drew APOEL Nikosia, Dynamo Kyiv and Viktoria Plzen in Group A. The first tie of the group was against APOEL, in sunny Cyprus, where we went onto win 3-1 with goals from Nagy(2) and Fleck. A good start so hopefully we continue to build on it and easily progress through the group.

UEFAEuropaLeagueOverview_Stages-5.png

SQUAD

As a whole I think the squad has reasonable depth but it has been a struggle to attract players of real quality to add to the strength of it. I have no real replacement for Fleck, if he gets a lengthy injury apart from playing a youngster in their or playing someone out of position. What I am pleased with though is the amount of forward options we have in Nagy, Cardozo, Sturridge and Shikabala, who can all play well up there. There was no reason for me to add to the defence as I feel as if I’ve got enough cover in all areas there with Shawcross, Huth, Situ, Wilson, Hubocan, Mattock, Wallace and Martin.

StokeCityTactics_Overview-1.png

Great news on the stadium and i'm liking that Europa League group.

I have a question on Nagy, I can't make my mind up on him looking at the screenshots and I just wondered whether or not you think he has what it takes to be a top player or whether long term (or possibly sooner) you will be looking at replacing him?

Apoel and Viktoria Plzen, aren't they in the wrong competition?

Not good enough, eh? :D

Looks like you should have got something against City. Still need a bit of consistency (should have beat Wolves at home) but looks like not conceding too many. At least you have a easy looking Euro group.

Yeah, definitely need to improve on my consistency throughout the season.

Great news on the stadium and i'm liking that Europa League group.

I have a question on Nagy, I can't make my mind up on him looking at the screenshots and I just wondered whether or not you think he has what it takes to be a top player or whether long term (or possibly sooner) you will be looking at replacing him?

Here's Nagy now.

AndrsNagyOverview_Attributes-1.png

I don't know if it's just nostalgia that is tainting my view of him but he seems to have all the right attributes in order for him to become a great poacher. Either way, his value is sky rocketing and I'm sure I'll benefit off him one way or another.

I like the look of Nagy more in the latest picture for sure, I think you are right that he has the chance to be a great poacher and his value now would suggest that for sure. I'm looking forward to seeing how his career develops.

Yeah, just wish he would hurry up and start banging them in already. :D

He looks dangerous.
I'd give him a good long run in the first team to see what exactly he can accomplish - that way, you'll know whether to cash in or to develop him further!

That's the plan this season, now Hooper has gone so hopefully he goes on a good scoring run.

I'd have turned that down too. International management can be a chore at the best of times. I only find it worthwhile/enjoyable if you get to manage at the Euro/World Cup finals

Yeah that's how I feel about it too, I remember playing one game with it and it ruined the whole save for me.

I took over Turkey about the same time you had the NI offer, I just had friendlies for a long while and even now that I am into the qualifiers i'm finding it a bit of a chore at the moment, to the point it's really slowing me down. I think you made the right call in turning it down.

I took over Turkey about the same time you had the NI offer, I just had friendlies for a long while and even now that I am into the qualifiers i'm finding it a bit of a chore at the moment, to the point it's really slowing me down. I think you made the right call in turning it down.

I definitely feel better now that I've rejected it.

Nagy has poacher written all over him. Not quite literally though.

;)

Going through a little injury crisis atm, Fleck, Huth, Mattock and Shikabala on international duty.

Archived