FM 2012: Aberdeen FC team guide - The Quest for Star Three

Got a League Cup Semi-Final tie against Hibs (10th) next. Winners face either Hearts (4th) or St.Mirren (9th).

Although I was litterally dumped out of the Scottish Cup by St.Johnstone meaning I couldnt retain my trophy, I do have the opportunity of a 2nd cup trophy in just 2 years :).

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok, how do i get a screenshot done?

played in europe,and 2 league games in 10 days, then had rangers.....

nearly entire first team was missing, those who made were only 80% fit...

got beat,but would like to show the report, no faulting my youngsters for their effort in the tackle against the tax dodgers - LOVE IT ;)

Stand Free

ok, how do i get a screenshot done?

played in europe,and 2 league games in 10 days, then had rangers.....

nearly entire first team was missing, those who made were only 80% fit...

got beat,but would like to show the report, no faulting my youngsters for their effort in the tackle against the tax dodgers - LOVE IT ;)

Stand Free

Alt & F9 creates a ss in the file 'My Documents, Sports Interactive, FM12, Screenshots'.

Then go on here and upload the ss from the file I just posted. When its done there will be a picture in the top left with a load of codes under it. Copy & paste it in here :thup:.

the team was very weak and anyone of class started around 80% fitness. i was expecting a complete humping to be honest, so just told them to go out and enjoy themselves - looks like they did :D

proud of them!

did i do something wrong with the link? it just shows the address and not the pic here?

the team was very weak and anyone of class started around 80% fitness. i was expecting a complete humping to be honest, so just told them to go out and enjoy themselves - looks like they did :D

proud of them!

did i do something wrong with the link? it just shows the address and not the pic here?

Where all the codes are after uploading on imageshack, copy and paste FORUM CODE.

thanks SRL, if anything interesting happens to me will stick another screen up.

got a few free days now, so will try blasting in a few games. still miles behind everyone. my top scorer from last season - big vern - is having a mare of a season. he couldnt score with a glasgow hooker!!

his birthday today - hope i can get him a goal on manager - and he can get me a goal v st johnstone in the real world!!

Before I get round to putting up a proper update of progress so far, out of curiousity, those of you who managed to sign James McFadden...what sort of wages did he agree to sign for?

His wee sod of an agent walked out of contract talks with us because he wouldn't lower the wage demands to a level the board would authorise, no matter how accomodating I got with other clauses.

Hmm i think i got him down to something like £2.5k or thereabouts, but the clauses and bonuses were pretty much at their limit.

Hmm, his agent wouldn't budge below £6k with us. If he's still without a club in a couple weeks I might see if he'll be more reasonable

Before I get round to putting up a proper update of progress so far, out of curiousity, those of you who managed to sign James McFadden...what sort of wages did he agree to sign for?

His wee sod of an agent walked out of contract talks with us because he wouldn't lower the wage demands to a level the board would authorise, no matter how accomodating I got with other clauses.

Wait until he is in light training and then go for him. I got him on £3k p/w.

yeah give it another month, i didnt get him right away i think it was close to November before i signed him up.

Went back in for him in August and he was willing to drop his wages down to the max we could afford....but then we got blown out of the water when QPR, West Brom, West Ham and Liverpool all offered him deals as well :mad:

17.5k a week he's on now with the Scousers.

I will get a proper update done soon, but thought I'd share this early season wee booster with you. :D

aberdeenvcelticsplitvie.png

At one point, about halfway through 1st half, the possession was as high as 70% in our favour, and if Pawlett had connected properly with Bruins cross when he was 3 yards out...rather than just scuffing it straight into their keepers arms the result would have an even rosier glow to it.

Why on earth have we signed James McFadden????

I'm thinking maybe Kenny wants another Scottish lad in there alongside Charlie so they can provide a shining example of sobriety and responsibility to Andy Carroll...

....well maybe.

How's the 'Stell' head this morning btw?

I'm thinking maybe Kenny wants another Scottish lad in there alongside Charlie so they can provide a shining example of sobriety and responsibility to Andy Carroll...

....well maybe.

How's the 'Stell' head this morning btw?

Haha, its ok now but I was a little fuzzy when I woke up at 5am this morning!!! Glad its gone because I am at college tonight from 6-9, and didnt really want a hangover going there for 3 hours.

2011/12 - Season Update - We are the Dons. From Aberdeen*

*in case you forgot :p

Right after setting up the new save last night, despite my reservations (nothing to do with the Dons, or FM12, just finding the SPL rather tedious lately on FM and irl) got fully into it today and have got my red revolution underway.

I've set myself a few goals, in the short term I wanted to use the free signing route to up the overall quality of the squad and hopefully grab a Euro qualification spot in the first season if we can. Long term if I can stick with the save I want to develop the clubs youth base and build a squad of good young Scottish talent (hopefully there'll be some good Scots regens in seasons ahead). The other long term goal will of course be to rival Fergie's successes with the club.

Like most of the posters on here I wanted to clear out some of the deadwood (aye I'm looking at you Mackie...) and would have to in order to free up wages for some incoming signings. First move was to request a parent club from the board which they agreed to easily, and after a couple days I was offered the choice of Liverpool or Arsenal. Decided to plump for the Gunners and got the news that they would be sending Sanchez Watt Watt Watt and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain on loan.

Disappointingly, Alex also had an offer from one of Arsenal's other feeder clubs, and he chose to head over to Salamanca in Spain, rather than spend the season in the North East....wonder why. Alex you don't know what you're missing (there's nae Ashvale or Inverbervie chippers oot there ye ken!)

I also transfer listed Rory McArdle and Darren Mackie early doors, and was pleased, nay delighted when both actually generated some interest! Mackie actually had a couple of clubs sniffing about and I set an asking price of £100,000 and was pretty gobsmacked when Tranmere made an offer of £110,000 for him. As it turned out only £10,000 of that was upfront, but I still snapped their hand off for it. McArdle had both Motherwell and Hibs looking at him, so I offered him out for a cheeky £500,000 and Motherwell came back with £275,000...duly accepted.

The money raised by those 2 deals was all ploughed into the wage budget (well the 50% of it that the board would make available anyway) and I started scouring the players without clubs to start shaping my squad for the season. I haven't transfer listed anyone else yet as I don't want to leave myself too short of warm bodies should we hit an injury crisis though. I offered contracts to a whole raft of players, some just laughed at our paltry offers, others accepted them but then chose other clubs, a few were denied work permits (especially annoyingly a real pacy Ghanaian striker I wanted) but eventually we managed to complete a few deals and so far I've brought in 6 new players on permanent contracts.

Signings so far:

Richard Hughes - former Portsmouth defensive midfielder (DM/M©) capped by Scotland. Brought in to add some extra experience in centre of the park and take some of the weight off Fyfie and Milsom

Jamil Adam - 20 year old Striker, released by Barnsley. Bit of an FM lower league legend, impressed on a 2 week trial so I decided to take a gamble on him. Stats don't look amazing but he's fairly quick and has great stamina and technique.

Pierre Wome - Cameroon internation left wing back. Sure everyone's familiar with this lad. Has some great attributes for a 32 year old player and a freebie, plus bags of experience in European football.

Flavio - Brazilian/Portuguese right back who had been playing in Cyprus for last few seasons. 31 years old and has solid attributes in all three areas, coaches instantly report him as our best right back after he signed.

Eric Addo - Ghanaian/Belgian central defender. Another player I'm sure everyone's familiar with. Snapped him up after mcArdle left and my other centre back deal fell through after he failed his work permit. Solid stats again at 32 years old and has formed a good partnership already with Mawene

Luigi Bruins - another player snapped up after playing for years in Dutch league. 24 year old AM©/M©,AM(L) released by Feyenoord during the summer. Have high hopes for this lad as he can cover the left wing for us as well as play in central midfield and has some very good technical attributes for the SPL.

luigibruinsoverviewprof.png

Tactical Gubbins

As part of my Red Revolution I've decided to with a groundbreaking new formation and tactic that should really shake the SPL up....I call it 4-4-2 with 4 defenders, 4 midfielders and ....wait for it....2 strikers!! (Count em 2, hit on this amazing idea of pairing up a big strong lad with a wee, nippy lad...they won't know what's hit them) Oh, and a goalkeeper too.

Seriously though, I decided on a straightforward 4-4-2 on the Keep It Simple Stupid principle. With the quality of players at hand I didn't want to go for anything outlandish or complicated (None o' yer fancy-dan TrekCwartists here ye ken). Going with a rigid philosophy and standard strategy, a short passing game (no great passers in the side, so didn't want players trying raking, pinpoint 40 yard Hollywood passes) that should hopefully help us maintain a decent share of possession in games and help us be hard to beat (2 banks of 4 Lawro, 2 banks of 4...hard to play through).

The tactic seemed to suit the players and we achieved some decent results in the friendlies that got the squad morale and confidence boosted, especially with impressive performances against PSV Eindhoven and Santos Laguna in front of our home fans.

aberdeenfixturesfixture.png

The results so far

Right having reached the end of August and the 1st month of competitive matches, here's how it's going so far. I've borrowed the format a bit from SRL88, hope you don't mind.

SPL

Aberdeen - 2 (Luigi Bruins 61' Pen, Magennis 71')

St Johnstone - 1 (Sheridan 9')

A good solid opening to the season, thought I thought there was going to be musch wailing and gnashing of teeth for a while when, despite us dominating the opening exchanges, St Johnstone went up the park and scored with their 1st and only shot on goal in the 1st half. However we kept plugging away and eventually got the breakthrough when Hughes was tripped in the area. Bruins very coolly slotting the penalty on his debut. Spurred on Magennis got on the end of a Pawlett cross after coming on as a sub and sealed a nice 3 points for us.

St Mirren - 1 (Watt 90+1' O.G.)

Aberdeen - 2 (Vernon 37', Fyvie 43')

Another good showing from the lads, dominating possession and having double the home team's efforts on goal. Should have kept a clean sheet but for a rather fluke OG right at the death

Aberdeen - 3 (Bruins 17' Pen, Adam 35' + 64')

Celtic - 1 (Ledley 3')

A fantastic performace this, despite the early, early setback of Joe Ledley's 20 yard screamer (or utter fluke as I like to call it) we largely dominated the game, keeping Celtic pinned back for long spells. Bruins again showing his nerve to bag the equaliser from the spot and also setting up Adam for his first goal.

Hearts - 0 (None, zero, naebody)

Aberdeen - 2 (Adam 38', Vernon 73')

Great way to follow up the win over Celtic with a very useful win away at Tynecastle. The defence kept their chances to a minimum and the strikers did their bit when they got the chances.

Aberdeen - 1 (Bruins 10' Pen)

Inverness CT - 0

Hard fought win this as we were surprisingly lacklustre early on, letting Caley boss the midfield for stretches. However another spot kick from Bruins was enough to grab us the three points.

Rangers - 1 (Davis 45+2')

Aberdeen - 0

:mad::( Gutted. Rangers in "questionable decision in their favour" shocker. Vernon should have opened the scoring after latching on to Magennis' knockdown, but was adjudged offside (wrongly as far as I can see after watching the replay several times). Two minutes later a loose pass in midfield allows Steven Davis to race away and score. Huffed and puffed after the break but just couldn't quite grab ourselves a share of the spoils. We weren't helped by Vernon's regular partner getting injured the game previously on cup duty, and to add a bigger downer to the result Pawlett and Addo picked up injuries during this match.

League Cup

Aberdeen - 1 (Milsom 108')

Forfar - 0

Dominated the match, but our finishing was very wayward. Only 5 shots out of 31 were on target. Probably made it harder than it should have been by resting so many of the players from the league matches and giving some of fringe players and youngsters their debuts. Wish I'd rested Adam though, as he picked up a knock in this game that kept him out of the big match at Ibrox a few days later.

All in all very satisfied with the start to the campaign, with the new players gelling in nicely and the squad performing better than I'd anticipated. The transfer window is closed now, but I will hope to add some more depth to the squad by going back to a couple of the free transfer players who are still unsigned. Hopefully another few weeks in limbo will have made their demands more realistic :cool:

Luigi Bruins - another player snapped up after playing for years in Dutch league. 24 year old AM©/M©,AM(L) released by Feyenoord during the summer. Have high hopes for this lad as he can cover the left wing for us as well as play in central midfield and has some very good technical attributes for the SPL.

luigibruinsoverviewprof.png

Had him for my first three seasons and he was excellent. One of my best freebie signings in fact. Sold him this year as the git wouldn't renew his contract due to expire next summer. Still, got £800k for him, not bad in all.

Have you still got Mitchel Megginson? I had to throw him in a few times in my first season and he's inconsistant (got the equaliser at Ibrox two minutes after coming on, then went on a 5 game run without scoring) but he's worth a punt.

Aye still have Megginson. For some reason I was thinking he was out crocked as well, but turns out he was still sitting in the reserves. :p

Have Luciano Figueroa willing to sign for us, but have a feeling he's not going to get his work permit....yet another one bites the dust.

Yeah didn't have any luck with freebie strikers in my first season. Had to stick with what I had till Mehmeti came in January.

My game's update, January 2015, 12 points clear of Rangers at the top of the SPL, Hibs in third two points ahead of Celtic and two behind Rangers. Not really planning to sign anyone. Had to transfer list a bunch of fringe first teamers who all came to complain about not playing around the same time. Told them all I'd let them leave in the next window but finding someone to buy them isn't easy.

Just received an offer worth an eventual £4.3m from Porto for Mehmeti! Unfortunately it's a bit crap as it's only £150k up front then £3.3m over 30 months with £800k after ten goals. I'd have a nightmare time trying to replace him so I'm rejecting it, hoping that he won't throw a wobbly afterwards!

Look for Dawid Janczyk. He may or may not be available. I found him end of season one for free, but I'm not sure how long he'd been on a free.

His contract expires June 2012, he's currently on loan at PFC Olexandriya in Ukraine. I'll be keeping an eye on him though, if he doesn't renew his contract with CSKA Moscow I'll definitely be offering him a deal.

How come you play with attribute masking DandyDon? Just out of curiosity :)

To be honest I never think to take it off when I'm setting the game up, just the way I've gotten used to playing I spose.

Out of curiousity, anyone wonder how many of the Dons players will be coming home tonight with hypothermia after the rl match against St Johnstone......been watching it on Sky and all i can say about the condistions is.......ouch!

Cheers

I hope that's not you skiving off at college is it? :p

I ended up being sick about 5 o'clock. Felt a bit iffy all day (not off our Stella either) and just couldnt face going in. I put my head on the pillow afterwards and went to sleep. Never woke up till about 7 o'clock. Still not 100% now, but watching This is England '88 is making me a tad bit better.

magnumoverviewprofile.png

Tempted to offer this lad a contract for the name alone :p

Im going to release my Magnum :cool:.

Just read that Russell Anderson is receiving medical treatment at Aberdeen IRL and would love to play for the side again someday.

Personally I always wait till he retires then bring him in as a coach. Always have to bring him in. My favourite Aberdeen player. He was my assistant manager in FM11 if I recall.

Archived