FM 2012: Aberdeen FC team guide - The Quest for Star Three

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just reached the league split. Im sat in 3rd on 71pts, 10pts behind Rangers/Celtic whilst being 20pts ahead of Hearts. Looks like 3rd place for me then!!! An improvement from last years 4th.

SPL Salaries per annum (in my game, obviously):

1. Rangers - £16.27m

2. Celtic - £14.41m

3. Aberdeen - £5.02m

4. Hearts - £2.17m

Amazed that my annual salary is now more than twice that of Hearts...still comforted that it's less than a third of Rangers and we're still dominating the league. :D

2011/12 Update - Some more results

SPL

Hibs - 1 (Sproule 15')

Aberdeen - 2 (Considine 31', Bruins 42' Pen)

Bounced back from the disappointment of the Rangers result with a very good away win in the green half of Edinburgh. We fell behind to a Sproule breakaway goal, but generally dominated possession after that, and by half time were in charge of the game. Held on comfortably for the 3 points.

Aberdeen - 2 (Vernon 20', Bruins 66')

Kilmarnock - 0

Rather flattered by the result here. Killie dominated possession for long spells and had more shots on goal, but luckily their finishing was poor. Due to injuries I had to risk a not fully fit Vernon in the starting line up, but it paid off, and in the second half Bruins grabbed his first goal from open play to secure the result.

Motherwell - 0

Aberdeen - 0

Yawn......total snoozeville this match, no goals and only one booking. Hee-haw actually happened.

Aberdeen - 3 (Bruins 38', Magennis 72', Vernon 76')

Dunfermline - 2 (Buchanan 1' + 3')

Total contrast to the Motherwell game, we found ourselves 2 down within 4 minutes and in danger of being dead and buried inside 20 minutes as the Pars missed a couple more chances. However we gradually got into the game, and a belter from 25 yards by Bruins gave us hope going in to the break. A halftime rocket in the team talk and the momentum was all ours in the 2nd half.

League Cup

Hibs - 1 (Gianni 16')

Aberdeen - 4 (Hughes 33', Megginson 37'+62', Arnason 54')

Just a few days after beating them on their own patch in the league, we returned to Easter Road on cup duty. Even resting a few key players and making several changes to the line up we gave them a bit of a pasting to record an emphatic win. Starting slowly yet again, we gradually went on to dominate and after Hughes levelled the scores with a rocket from outside the box there was only going to be one winner.

..and the table so far

clydesdalebankpremierleb.png

Don't blame you. I love giving the team a ribbing at half time if they're losing. Even against higher opposition. Has served me well. :D Some good results my friend. Good luck for the remainder of the season.

Cheers :thup:

To be fair to the players, I haven't needed to rollock them much this season as they've showed themselves capable of recovering from setbacks on their own accord. Several games already we've gone behind in, yet gone on to win fairly comfortably in the end. So they've got some grit in there which is nice to see.

Indeed, I've only needed to have one team meeting to improve morale, and that was in our first season. Rollocking hasn't really come into the question unless we're up against the Old Firm. My team (and I'm guessing yours too) have great determination. Gotta love that!

Stand Free DandyDon!

Loading up my save now. About to face Dundee Utd away, followed by Rangers away.

League is to far away. Rangers 5pts clear and need to lose to Hearts (a) and me, whilst I am 2pts behind Celtic who face Hibs (h) and Dundee Utd (a).

Well we go into the final round of fixtures in a very 'interesting' prediciment. We went to Dundee for the oddly named 'New Firm Derby' knowing we had to win. We battled hard for the result under a lot of pressure. In the other fixtures we were relying on others, in Celtics fixture with Hibs, it started off rosey, but things changed, and Celtic did their job. In the other important fixture, I was really relying on Hearts to do me a huge favour, and boy did they. A very brave performance from them, whilst Rangers also buckled under the pressure. The results left the league looking like this with the final round of fixtures still to play.

The Outcomes?

1. Celtic beat Dundee Utd and claim the title, unless Ranger beat me and top Celtics result by more than 6 goals.

2. Rangers beat me and Celtic dont win, thus claiming the league title.

3. Celtic lose at Dundee and I beat Rangers, giving us our first title since 1985.

4. We all draw, and Celtic take the title on GD.

5. Celtic draw, and I beat Rangers at Ibrox but need to top Celtics result by 4 goals or more.

Pretty interesting!!!!

Yikes, that must have been a nailbiter against the Tangerines :thup:

Should be quite a last round of games, how's the squad looking for the crunch game?

My whole squad is fit, except for my best two strikers John Baird & Joe Garner. Leaves me with Scott Vernon, Nathan Eccleston & the regen posted in #203.

Not sure whether to go 4-5-1 with Vernon upfront on his own, or go my normal 4-4-2 and change from my rigid style and just go for it.

My whole squad is fit, except for my best two strikers John Baird & Joe Garner. Leaves me with Scott Vernon, Nathan Eccleston & the regen posted in #203.

Not sure whether to go 4-5-1 with Vernon upfront on his own, or go my normal 4-4-2 and change from my rigid style and just go for it.

Typical that it's the 2 players you really need for a game like this isn't it! That regen Claudon looks like he could do a job, I'd be tempted to chuck him in if I was in your shoes.

On FM10 I chucked a new regen in at the deep end at Ibrox and he ended up scoring 4 on his debut as we clung on to a 4-3 win. Tough call on the tactic though, stick or twist time. Personally I'd be inclined to stick Claudon in and play your 4-4-2 if it's been successful at Ibrox in the past.

Either way, good luck :thup:

Typical that it's the 2 players you really need for a game like this isn't it! That regen Claudon looks like he could do a job, I'd be tempted to chuck him in if I was in your shoes.

On FM10 I chucked a new regen in at the deep end at Ibrox and he ended up scoring 4 on his debut as we clung on to a 4-3 win. Tough call on the tactic though, stick or twist time. Personally I'd be inclined to stick Claudon in and play your 4-4-2 if it's been successful at Ibrox in the past.

Either way, good luck :thup:

Ive never, ever been successful against Rangers :lol:. Lost every game against them except the Cup Final which we won 4-1 last season. I played 4-4-2 there, and although last season we wernt in their league in terms of performances, we have closed the gap a lot this season and results have been tight.

Ive never, ever been successful against Rangers :lol:. Lost every game against them except the Cup Final which we won 4-1 last season. I played 4-4-2 there, and although last season we wernt in their league in terms of performances, we have closed the gap a lot this season and results have been tight.

Well hope you find the solution :thup:

Heading off now, have to show face at the office....grrrrrrrrr

Back on to FM later tonight.

Well we lost 2-1 at Ibrox despite being 1-0 up at HT :(. Rangers retained their league title due to Celtic drawing 2-2 at Dundee Utd, meaining we had to settle for 3rd and Wafa Cup football.

On the plus side, I know we arent to far off Rangers & Celtic now, with Celtic being closer than Rangers as our form against The Gers is appauling. Really need to look at that, but with the right signings, we will be able to claim the title I think. I won the Managers, and Writers Manager of the Year Award so thats shows how well we done.

Winning the Scottish League Cup was a nice trophy to take home as well and sits nicely alongside the Scottish Cup we won last season.

Here's my default formation, sometimes pull the AMs and CM back one space for tough matches, but generally this results in defeat for the Ibrox Orcs

2dayfl3.jpg

Well we lost 2-1 at Ibrox despite being 1-0 up at HT :(. Rangers retained their league title due to Celtic drawing 2-2 at Dundee Utd, meaining we had to settle for 3rd and Wafa Cup football.

On the plus side, I know we arent to far off Rangers & Celtic now, with Celtic being closer than Rangers as our form against The Gers is appauling. Really need to look at that, but with the right signings, we will be able to claim the title I think. I won the Managers, and Writers Manager of the Year Award so thats shows how well we done.

Winning the Scottish League Cup was a nice trophy to take home as well and sits nicely alongside the Scottish Cup we won last season.

If thats you heading into Season 3, recommend having a look at these boys who joined me around that time. Took me a while to wear down Gibson and Brown but worth it in the end.........

Free agent Darron Gibson (CM) finally dropped his wage demands in order to succumb to my chase of a contract offer every month for almost a year. Scott Brown also joined me earlier in the season after a not-quite-so-lengthy chase. Looking forward to seeing them in action alongside Fyvie.

High-potential youngsters Tom Thorpe (Man Utd DC) and Ryan Mason (Spurs AMC/S) also both sign up after coming to the end of their EPL deals. Thorpe will partner Considine and Mason will be phased in gradually as a long-term attacking playmaker/trequartista.

good idea caddy, i been trying to get them rotating and have as many on loan as i can get out, might try get some friendlies sorted when i have a break in the calendar, still in europe, and league games, with currently 8 out injured :(

i am in october of second season and have gibson accepting 3.2k a week, still needs to sign on the dotted line tho! will be a nice midfield with gibson, scott brown (still 1 month out injured and Kári in the middle. looking at the stats i think Kári will be getting used as DMC with possibly ball winning or deep playmaker.

i have had osbourne in at right back for a while and jack in midfield pushing through(mostly due to injuries) - old gramps brown must of been taking my advice, copied me for the St johnstone game last night and got a win in the real world - application has been sent to pittodrie!

stand free

Gibson, Brown and Arnason are a good midfield triumverate. Well done on getting them together.

If I'm harsh on Kari, i'd say you need to get someone better, but Gibson trains nicely into a natural DMC and has performed well for me in that role.

Unfortunately, he didn't want to sign a new deal for me for Season 7 (despite me offering him an increase from £3.5k/week to £18k/week) and he's off to Arsenal in the summer.

good idea caddy, i been trying to get them rotating and have as many on loan as i can get out, might try get some friendlies sorted when i have a break in the calendar, still in europe, and league games, with currently 8 out injured :(

I just keep pretty much everyone in my first team squad and then use the "select first team players needing match fitness" when the reserve match option comes up on your News screen.

Its a fair bit of faffing around to get the fixtures set up (although they've made it much quicker in FM12) but the pay-off is excellent in that it keeps my entire 25-man first team squad in a state of Match Fitness. So its definitely worth the small hassle.

How does everyone else, in the absence of a reserve league, deal with keeping their fringe players fit?

I generally arrange a reserve team friendly against one of the Highland League (or other 'smaller reputation') teams every Monday. Anyone got any other methods?

This is exactly what I do. Though the day I arrange the friendly depends on that week's fixtures. If I can't get a team to play them I tend to hastily arrange a friendly with the U19s who generally have enough players to field two teams.

i was on youtube today - having a wee wander back through the ages of the dons games, and came across this fantastic match v the unwashed (i think just before they started to play hide the tax) I was wondering if the guy who posted, carhandle, might be our very own Cadijk van Kaarhandel ??

if not, just enjoy this!!

Stand Free

Damn my luck in the Scottish Cup this year! Seriously considering playing weakened team!

4th Round drawn away to Hibs

5th Round drawn away to Kilmarnock

QF (if I beat Killie) drawn away to Falkirk

All rounds against SPL teams. I have Milan coming up in the 1st KO round of the Champions Cup and a League Cup final against Falkirk. Serious fixture congestion coming up...have to prioritise. Grr!

Well just drew 0-0 at home with Milan in the first leg. Not a bad result when all is said and done. But I can't see us taking anything away from the San Siro. Just have to go on the offensive in the hopes of getting a goal. Or sit back and defend our butts off and hope to nick a goal on the counter.

Decisions, decisions.

Oh, also drew 0-0 against Killie in the Scottish Cup. So a replay to fit in there along with the second leg. Down to just one first team 'keeper as well. Nordfelt is out for 5 weeks. Robbie Thomson is doing brilliantly though. Highly recommend him. Young and available for a cheap price given the amount of competition at Celtic. His wage demands were quite high for me though. He's on £3,700 a week.

Well anyway, onwards. League should be wrapped up. 18 points clear so only a complete capitulation will see us lose that. League Cup final is losing significance. Might give my fringers and most promising u19s a run out.

If thats you heading into Season 3, recommend having a look at these boys who joined me around that time. Took me a while to wear down Gibson and Brown but worth it in the end.........

Free agent Darron Gibson (CM) finally dropped his wage demands in order to succumb to my chase of a contract offer every month for almost a year. Scott Brown also joined me earlier in the season after a not-quite-so-lengthy chase. Looking forward to seeing them in action alongside Fyvie.

High-potential youngsters Tom Thorpe (Man Utd DC) and Ryan Mason (Spurs AMC/S) also both sign up after coming to the end of their EPL deals. Thorpe will partner Considine and Mason will be phased in gradually as a long-term attacking playmaker/trequartista.

I already have Scott Brown. Got him in October season 2. Will look at the others :thup:.

Deal. :cool:

Strange that Gibson has retired on your game. On my game he's playing really well at Celtic. Worth almost £2m. There'll be no prying him from their hands. Mind you, my midfield is pretty packed. Have a look at St. Mirren's Kenny McLean. He's being very solid for me.

Archived