Destinations

Fantastic

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are Gimnasia (LP) the end of season experts??

They won their last 7 games in the first season then went 16-2-1 in the second half of the last season

I think I hate them more than I hate BBC Breakfast, it just sickens me. Luckily some of that La Plata magic rubbed off on us because this time we managed to match them, but they're doing much better than us this season. Their defence is very good and they're sitting proudly in fourth spot.

As a little aside, we just recorded a stellar victory over Boca Juniors:

xPLAF.png

However I think it's fair to say we've developed a disciplinary problem. Allow me to demonstrate:

W5rdf.png

(Passionately)

Nine games, four red cards and a whole load of yellow ones to keep the reds company. Now I know what the solution du jour is; instruct my players to tackle lightly and move on. However hard tackling is crucial for my tactic to unsettle players. It's strange, either this is bad luck, fate or some kind of conspiracy. I don't want to give into logic, I don't want it to win this battle of wits. I'm going to need to come up with a way to combat this. In the interests of science I refuse to scale back the aggressiveness of my team.

(cautiously)

On a slightly more serious note though, we're doing okay-ish. Aside from the Racing result we're not getting turned over by teams, our finishing problems have come back again, but Rovira is a step up from Medina. I'm still sticking with my prediction that we will stay up.

Interesting stuff so far. You have, how do you say, a 'unique style'! :D

It's proving to be a hindrance. My inner child has led me to playing from 11am Sunday through to 3pm Monday. I've just woken up now, which basically means I'm going to have to play Football Manager because there is nothing else to do. I need a girlfriend.

T9P2P.png

I'm just going to take a moment to celebrate Jorge Luna. Under me he's played 89 games in all competitions, scoring 37 goals and assisting 53 times. I'm hard pressed to think of a player at my club who performs his role better than he does. He is set to be a trequartista, so in reality the 4-4-2 formation we play is really a bit of a lie (incidentally it is saved under the name 4-4-1-1 because that's what we were going to play).

Sure I have a decent goalkeeper, sure I have some defenders who work hard. But at the top end of the pitch it's important to have effective players who can work within a system and get results. Jorge Luna gets us results and for that he should be celebrated.

E73uF.png

I found this gem hidden away in the matchday advice section of the tactics screen. I can only apologise that my Sunday League reputation actively causes you to become demotivated when I ask you to play football.

Me

(Passionately)

"Hey guys, I want you to go out there and impress me today by putting in a good performance."

Pablo Podio

(Reluctantly)

"I'm sorry, I'd love to play well today, but the fact you never achieved anything as a professional means I simply can not comply with your request."

Me

(Aggressively)

"I can always send you back to Slovakia, where I found you. I hear there's a fountain of highly reputable managers just hanging around, begging to tell you that they have faith in your ability as a player."

What a dick.

rMMkE.png

With the Apertura finished I can safely declare myself delighted with being stuck firmly in the mid-table obscurity. We've put in some impressive performances this season, the highlight of which has been a 4-0 victory over Estudiantes LP. Our disciplinary problems were a real issue at the start of the year, possibly everyone was very excited that virtually all of our matches were televised. Either way, October and November were great months for us. I received that manager of the month for October, Luna was player of the month, and we really got some points on the board.

Ideally I'd like to see if we can sit in the top half of the table when the Clausura finishes, however there are some very big clubs below us who surely need to find some kind of form during this season.

I've got a couple of players lined up, young ones from Colombia who I'm going to use, much like slave labour, to bring me success whilst paying them a pittance. Scouting wise I'm continuously browsing the continent, the board have agreed to allow me scout worldwide, although I'd rather keep my players as Argentinian as possible. The good news is that foreigners only have to spend two years in Argentina to become nationals. A nice bonus.

I do however have one major concern:

Z5mcs.png

The million pounds I've spent in transfer fees over the next four years is eating away at our meagre funds. That is directly my fault, it equates to almost £25kpcm, but that is a manageable figure to say the least. My concern is that in general the club is not attracting enough money to make us sustainable, in the long term, as a top flight side.

We have a 25,000 capacity stadium that is only getting an average of about 9,000, but gate receipts have gone up by about 50%. I'm trying to do my part by being as frugal as I can with our wages, some players have tried to be very aggressive when they found out that we have money to offer, luckily before I was a football manager I used to be a loan shark so I've batted away their attempts at negotiating in a fairly easy manner.

The good news is that our sponsorship agreements expires at the end of the season, so if we can double that we can possibly right the ship. Improved performances will certainly bring more fans in, I just don't want to see us go into administration and start becoming a joke.

I've arranged about £250k worth of away friendlies against high reputation Argentinian sides, although my attempt to play Boca five times during the summer break (they offer a fee of £110k) were not received particularly well.

A few transfers to let you know about:

cxDbS.png

Excellent addition to the team. With Fleitas hitting 30 we're going to need to replace him at some point, this lad will certainly do that. He was relatively cheap, £160K over 48 months (surprise surprise) from Penarol. Although Eduardo Sanchez has done a good job of covering during our mini injury crisis, I want to be feel safe at the back, not hope to feel safe.

The other two were free transfers from Colombian clubs. More speculation than anything, I just like their style. One has been loaned out because I couldn't register him in time:

SuVAT.png

kqVSD.png

Lost our first two matches of the Clausura with a red card in the second game. Let reality welcome me into her soft bosom.

Rs3fH.png

Chn7F.png

The joys of scouting the U-20 World Cup. An outstanding find and coming in for absolutely nothing as well. Come the end of the season I'm going to have to do a juggling act because there are far too many foreign players at my club now. Time to cash in on all those little Wnt boxes next to my players...

15yiy40.png

[video=youtube;BpXKmwm1S6U]

It was Figueroa's last game for the club and he went out with style. Our last game of the season, a trademark red card down and we still managed to beat the league leaders without conceding. Not a bad effort. Figueroa's become a broken man, he can barely even walk, but he served his time with us well and did a solid job helping us win promotion. Thanks... I guess.

So the season is complete, here's how we did:

vskAz.png

Bang on middle of the road and I'm delighted. Defensively we've been atrocious at times, but through lack of discipline more than technical ability. We have a good group of players and when we aren't attacking our opponents with our feet, we do actually attack with the football in a very inventive manner. I'm gradually phasing out the old guard and bringing in younger, hungrier players who are better.

As far as first seasons go, it was good. We've proved we can compete at this level. Having seen how even this division is, it shows me that it isn't going to take massive improvements to push further up the league. However the club's finances need to be sorted out, if I don't get things in order we could see the good work we've done fall apart. But for the moment we're looking good to keep improving year on year.

In terms of overall, combining the Apertura and the Clausura, here's the combined league:

2v1M7.png

Transfers 2014/15

6hY0c.png

Creative genius Flores joins us from Belgrano (something about gotcha or sinking ships) and will be fighting with Amieva for the creative right central midfielder role. He's unbelievable at passing and really could help us step up a gear creatively. His wages are quite high, but considering I almost bought him last season for about £650k, I think the compromise of waiting a year justifies them.

w8hl4.png

Sanabria's a good little free transfer from Nueva Chicago. I've already arranged for him to **** off to our Colombian loan monkey's Pasto Football Club, but he could prove to be a valuable asset, either with performances on the pitch or just cold hard cash to put in a stripper's thong. I don't say no to deals like that.

VPhB4.png

The big one. Thou shalt not covet false idols, but a false idol Russo ain't. He cost me a cool million for the almost standard 48 month payment plan that I love so much. I envisage a dream partnership with Machado that results in teams begging for mercy, The reality may be different, but he's the long term replacement for Luna in the left striker role, operating as a trequartista, feeding players and generally being a menace. A million quid is a lot of money and I've seen players with worse attributes rated higher by my scouts. I'm not too sure what is they see that I don't, but screw them. Massive signing.

I also signed a backup goalkeeper and loaned in cover for left back:

vuJFB.png

After only a year at the club I received a suitable offer for Abecasis, double what we paid for him. So goodbye. Sanchez and Vilafane are more than capable of balancing the right back duties between them and the money will go a long way to ease my mind when it comes to the financial problems apparently only I can see going on at the club. He was a good player, but not exceptional.

As for Perez, well he was foreign and I'm only allowed four foreigners. Two Colombians are now abroad on loan, but they're worth keeping around, Perez was expendable, so I expended his ass back to the motherland for £140k more than I originally brought him in for.

Great work so far, you've been simply Fantastic! :D

Early days, but the progress from over three years ago has been excellent. It helps that there are a ridiculously large amount of good players in South America who are happy to play for a pittance and then be forced out without warning when I decide. They're luckily they aren't animals, because if they were I'd shoot all my unwanted players and melt them down and turn them into glue.

As an aside, this (and I'm quoting here) "remarkable" news item appeared:

HAN6R.png

Erm, one slight problem there buddy:

J84RX.png

There is a logical explanation. He was injured for five months during the previous year and so naturally his attributes declined. However since he's come back he has regained his former level of ability, only the game has loaded the improvements into different areas than were previously filled. It's through no fault of my own either, he's training his shooting intensively. So while he has improved remarkably from his feeble position during the aftermath of his injury, he's a poorer striker as a result of it. Unless he gets injured he always will be.

I sound like a right dick, don't worry, it didn't stop him smashing three past Independiente.

Normally I'd do an update once the Apertura finished. I was looking forward to extolling the virtues of our wonderful attack, how we are dominating teams. Well we have, we've been magnificent. So magnificent that I decided to go to bed about eight last night having been up for about 36 hours playing FM on/off. Have a guess where, in the fixture list below, it was I went to bed:

NmGEk.png

An amazing turn of form if I do say so myself. It's almost as if my glorious players suddenly turned into broccoli and now the only way I can reach them is by pouring melted cheese over them to evoke a response. We've gone from being league leaders to two points behind Velez now. I'm constantly having to manage my expectations and while I should be delighted with how we're doing, it's not fair to just be satisfied.

So I've called the obligatory team meeting and told everyone they need to sort themselves out. Fingers crossed it works, I really hate broccoli.

90PpU.png

It's naive of me to believe we should be winning every match we go into only four years after we started out in the Nacional B, but after the start we had to this Apertura I kind of feel we really missed a solid opportunity here. Look, let's be honest it's a testament to how this squad has grown that we can post these numbers early on, but it's worrying at how weak they are mentally when it comes to bad form. A good team can respond to defeat by getting back on the wagon and riding on. But not my team, they fall apart, barely function. Do you know something, I've never seen a player's morale being described as 'Abysmal', but for no apparent reason Mauricio Parra was feeling 'Abysmal', despite having his strongest season for us so far in his career.

There's only so much I can do as a manager. I can coax, nurture, chastise, speculate, play with the pieces, kick the pieces, eat the pieces. But sometimes the players have to accept the responsibility for their actions and our capitulation three quarters of the way through the Apertura was horrible. What scares me is that this is a quality that has carried over from my earliest team, despite only one or two of them still playing regularly for us.

Kykho.png

The bottom line is that our consistent performance in this division must not carry on following that performance illustrated in the graph above. The players at this club are better than that and they need to show some spine if they want to actually win things instead of dreaming about winning things.

lAFRN.png

This story is all too familiar for my liking. I've tried holding a team meeting but no one seems to want to take responsibility. It's the manner of these defeats and draws, all last minute goals, weak rebounds and poor defending. Ideally I'd like to just leave and go somewhere else, my head hurts watching these amateurs.

U3tDm.png

There's something quite disturbing about managing a side capable of scoring six goals yet conceding three. Not only is it terrible for my mental health issues, but it doesn't bode well for the future success (or lack of it) of this club. I think I'm going to need to re-evaluate my defence during the winter break, I may even need to work on a new formation/tactic in order to keep our offensive potency in tact while making us much more efficient defensively. We've conceded far too many goals this season.

5QGbl.png

Mvxux.png

Amidst our monthly payments to clubs for players and our rising wage costs, the board has handed us a gift to keep going. Along with the prize money from the end of the season, this should see us maintaining the status quo for a while. My only problem is that if we want to compete with the top dogs on a consistent level across the continent we're going to need more money being spent. Case in point: our wage total is fifteenth highest, it's only going to go up but we can't afford it to.

I might go and watch Moneyball in the cinema, learn from a real manager:

Moneyball+Movie.jpg

4NLW3.png

A much stronger finish than we are used to has seen us finish the Clausura in second place. There are definitely real lights shining from this club, especially in our ability to score goals. It's going to take some work to sort the defence out, but it's not going to destroy this club. Russo and Machado are a seriously dangerous combination and while their departure to Europe is inevitable, the fact we have them here now doing the business is going to make us stronger in the future because of the money we can get from them.

We could have possibly nicked the Clausura from Independiente, but they have a striker called Beltrame who is going to be one of the superstars of world football. The sooner he is signed the better. With that said, we're looking good for the future, we just need to sort out the defence.

v6rGk.png

Our outstanding performance in the league this year means our points average has gone up considerably, allowing us to qualify for the Copa Sudamericana. I'd rather not have another cup competition to contend with unless it's the Libertadores, but it will still be a good way to test ourselves against the rest of the continent and the extra money will help to ease my financial worries.

You've become very strong now, great progress.

In some ways yes. The evolving process is hard to manage, I'm constantly trying to better the squad, but the older players are still important to me as squad players, but obviously they want to be starting games every week. I'm going to try and use more younger squad players to make sure squad harmony is improved, but we could become weaker. But I'm content, the progress we've made in the last four years has been tremendous. I'd quite like to win something of value now.

Transfer - 2015/16

You'll see with my movements this winter, it was all about making the defence much more solid for the upcoming season:

Y2lhq.png

Navia was a good free transfer, he'll be fighting Fernandez for the left back role. I currently have four foreign players registered, however I'm waiting for the paperwork on Parra's citizenship to clear, so it might be touch and go if he's registered for the season in time.

q2tlp.png

The signing equivalent of buying a tank to take your kids to school. I want to feel safe at the back, I made sure I feel safe. He cost me £2.4m, but he's worth every penny. It's going to do some damage to our finances, but given the added income we're receiving from increased ticket sales and sponsorship, plus a few sales, we should weather the storm. He's a powerful player who should really give us an extra level of defensive capability, very exciting.

q7WPI.png

Good cover for the right back slot, another free transfer. Villafene has really made the right back position his own since Abecasis left for Estudiantes, but I felt it was necessary to make sure we aren't caught short in case of injuries.

j0BtO.png

Barrientos is in on a free from Catania in order to give us cover for both wings. He's a little old, but is only on a one year contract and should serve us well to be effective when called upon.

hClp2.png

In terms of outgoings, the major transfer was moving Gutierrez on for a good amount of money. With the foreign player limit and a few players above him in the squad, it was important we sold him now before his value dropped. That money is going to keep us going for a while without calling any administrators in.

As for the rest, good squad players who served us when we were coming up, but we can't be sentimental; in order to progress we need to have the best players we can get. Those guys didn't deserve new contracts and so they were released.

All in all I think this has been a good winter of business and I'm cautiously confident for the season ahead.

IycDD.png

So it's now seven games played against Lanus and we've still yet to beat them. I don't know what it is about them, but we just can't win. Yet against clubs like River I almost always win. Very strange, I might look at the tactic analysis screen to see if there's anything I can gain from it.

So no Copa Sudamericana for us this year. Yay...

Oq6YL.png

I thought I could get away with having two goalkeepers this season. I never get two injured at the same time, never.

The next month is going to be hilarious, if my managerial career was a metaphor it would be meeting an attractive lady in bar, spending hours talking to her, flirting and eventually we'd go back to her room. She'd strip off all her clothes and give me a massage. I'd turn rip my clothes off and just as we were about to make love she would violent project vomit all over my face and body. I'd go to the shower to wash myself down but while I had my back turned, quietly getting the chunks of sick out from underneath my fingernails, she'd stab me in the back with a broken glass.

I feel so wonderful right now.

Love your style, congratulations and good luck with your career

Thanks buddy, year five and still going strong... just.

Here's the hero who'll be keeping our sheets clean for the next month:

rh8EK.png

Signed on a free, luckily players under twenty don't have to be registered.

CbxmM.png

It's safe to say I have a managerial crisis on my hands. The bubble has burst, our league form has been atrocious and we're not in good shape at all. I'll fill in the blanks once the apertura finishes, but suffice to say; it isn't a pretty picture.

MAzOV.png

What a horrible, horrible apertura. Our defence has improved, I guess, but for some reason my players find it impossible to score. We weren't helped by the fact our two best strikers were involved in the U-20 World Cup and the Olympics, but still we shouldn't be so impotent in front of goal.

This in turn has led to a large number of my players becoming unsettled, which has caused morale to spiral out of control and then the cycle just repeats itself. Thankfully we have the summer break to take some time to rest up and refocus, but I can't say I didn't see this coming. We had to have a reality check at some point. I had an argument with Emmanuel Ledesma, I'm not prepared to do the same with the rest of my players. I'm just going to ignore them and hope the problem goes away.

What a pathetic manager I am, but I can't trust the game's conversation system to allow me to form a resolution with my unsettled players. It isn't fair to boil down what would be a very important conversation into a ten second game of multiple choice that can effectively solidify or destroy a working relationship. It's pathetic, unfounded and I still believe the spoken parts of this game are utterly moronic. I only do press conferences and team talks to improve my media handling and hands on ratings.

So yes, I feel the games is limited, but then I know what to expect now. It hasn't changed. No actually wait, changed is the wrong word to use; it hasn't improved in a number of years and despite the other aspects of the game making some improvement, when so much influence within the game is placed upon a conversation system someone who smears chocolate cake on their face would design, well it doesn't give me much confidence.

I guess I'll have to re-adjust my formation, not that I want to because I know it's effective, but apparently I have to do something. For the sake of it.

Oh yeah, we qualified for the Copa Libertadores:

R5dx7.png

I'm trying to act all moody and depressed yet I receive unbelievable news like this. **** this game, it doesn't know the concept of atmosphere. It's the video game equivalent of a whoopee cushion made of heroin.

Thats why I decided not to bother with player interaction most of the time very early on.

It shouldn't be that way though. There shouldn't be a feature I avoid using because it's utter balls.

Well, at least the new user interface looks nice, I like to be reminded where the money all goes.

LL1Qq.png

eMphz.png

I won't be pushed around. These players need to remember some of my scouts have over 1,500 players on their report list. One guy's list is so long he has retired players on it. I can filter through them with ease. This signing was no different. I use scouts exclusively for my signings, so I make sure I'm prepared for when situations like this arise.

Emmanuel Ledesma, your days are numbered.

t7LvT.png

Loan fee of £750k and a future fee of £1.8m set. I think it's a good deal for the club, Navia is itching for first team action, this will give him a good amount of time to get some experience. Fernandez was brought in five years ago on a free and he has developed handsomely, but we need the cash and he is expendable per se. I mean I'd like to keep him, but the price is high enough to make me satisfied if he is sold.

XQlsw.png

A really, really difficult tie. We weren't helped by Podio's challenge, I got the impression he was trying to get sent off. We managed to keep the game to a draw and that puts us in a good position for the home leg. I really want to qualify for this, we really need the money.

Archived