Official Blog Feedback - youth & newgens

Not really bothered by any of this. About the biggest issue stopping me from having a game that lasts more than 2 seasons at the moment is because there are hardly any newgens with decent mental or physical stats being added to the gameworld.

Or ones with nonsensical attributes like heading 15, jumping 15, strength 4.

Before someone shouts "peter crouch" at me - he can't actually jump.

This is a huge deal for me: after every season I have to fire up FMRTE and edit up to 125 players for the MLS draft (which is traditionally how MLS teams have acquired talent) just to give them any sort of shot at sticking around in the game, even in the lower leagues. Too many players have attributes that are simply so random that they'll never be effectual, and the biggest issue is with the physical side- what good are centerbacks that have 3 jumping, 12 pace, 5 stamina and 4 strength? Or when I see a player come through at 18 with a PA of 180 or so...and then see that he has a 3 for stamina. Enjoy having one of the world's best players for 10 minutes a game!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After reading all this I'm getting really excited and want to play the game, but I've purposely stopped playing FM11 to give myself a break so I'm 'fresh' for FM12

Thats a new one on me - i suppose if you stopped for a certain amount of time it would feel of more new and exciting:D

Riz, have you found in the testing that these changes have positively affected the AI's ability to groom young talent? Specifically, have they shown a greater willingness during the provisional contract period to simply release the no hopers, thus freeing up more games for the better prospects.

It seems a logical conclusion, and if it's true, will be a huge boon to long term games.

Will the quality of Irish Nationality regens be increased in FM12?

In last years by 2024 the Irish national team were ranked 90th and falling and McCarthy was there best player at 34 and they were still playing Long at 37 etc. My Shelbourne team had 4 irish internationals all foreigners that took up nationality and have about 120 CA. Best Irish-born regen i have seen in 14 years has reached 105 CA which doesnt reflect well on real life where the quality of youth footballer is being increased if you look at this years euro U19s champs etc.

I have a question for the developers.

In FM11 i played only in Romanian First Division and i managed to increase the league ranking alot but the newgens still was crappy.

In FM12 the quality of newgens will be influenced by the league ranking?

Actually, this is an issue I hope is addressed.

See here, the player managed to bring the Polish League to 4 Stars and is one of the top leagues in Europe, and in the 2060's, he still has barely any Polish regens. Out of the entire career, he says only two Polish players ever became world class, both having arisen from one team today's rather developed youth academy. (Legia Warszawa)

He also said that he has only been given the chance at any of the 4 Polish Clubs he's been in to upgrade the Youth Recruitment once. (Whilst he has 20/20 Academy and Training Facilities). This isn't the only case as I've seen people complain of similar things with the Serbian, Bulgarian, Austrian, Scandinavian and other leagues, the same has happened to me in my games in Poland, but if you need any evidence/record of it, the link will provide. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Miles' initial post referred to the following changes re youth setups and newgens:

We’ve also improved the way youth recruitment works at different clubs for their youth setup. The club’s youth recruitment network and youth facilities are not only linked to the quality of newgens produced by the youth setup, but also the scope of the recruitment. So clubs with excellent recruitment networks and state-of-the art facilities have the ability to attract youth players not just from the local regions, but from other continents as well.

but I cant find anything on junior coaching. What is it? How is it different to excellent youth facilities and having an extensive youth recruitment network? If I had a poor youth facilities but excellent junior coaching and extensive youth recruitment what would be the consequences. I guess what I'm trying to say is - why should i spend money on junior coaching? If I didnt have it (or spent very little on it) wouldn't my facilities and youth coaches do the biz for me with ym kids?

What I am always wondering is whether the overall quality of a nation's players in improved if for instance all teams playing in the main league of that nation increase their youth recruitment to "excellent". This would copy reality, as when a nation invests in youth development you will generally see them also performing better in the Euro or World cups... any thoughts?

Miles' initial post referred to the following changes re youth setups and newgens:

but I cant find anything on junior coaching. What is it? How is it different to excellent youth facilities and having an extensive youth recruitment network? If I had a poor youth facilities but excellent junior coaching and extensive youth recruitment what would be the consequences. I guess what I'm trying to say is - why should i spend money on junior coaching? If I didnt have it (or spent very little on it) wouldn't my facilities and youth coaches do the biz for me with ym kids?

My guess is that 'junior coaching' refers to the coaching of kids younger than 16, i.e. before they get to your academy. The better it s, the better the intake you get to choose from. If you have excellent youth recruitment, your scouts will find the best; excellent junior coaches will prepare them well. But if your youth facilities and coaching is poor, they will stagnate once they get into your youth squad.

Archived