How To Play FM07: Tactical Design and Management Strategy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Burst:

When tightmarking is it worth telling the same players to man mark?

To me it seems like a good idea or would it cause defensive problems? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use a combination of man and zonal. Basically, the more defensive a system, the more man marking. If a player is supposed to contribute more to attack than defence I leave him on zonal.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WWFAN

thanks man. you made it a lot easier for me. i am playing fm/cm series for a long time but now i work a lot and do not have time to discover this things on my own. i was struggeling very bad with my AS Roma team but still proud enough not to download any tactic. i used your ideas and i am 11 wins in a row in serie A.

My main problem now is that my target man is missing a lot of chanses( it doesen t matter if i play direct , short, high or low cf). please help my get a god training cchedulle or some good target man instruction

wwfan

I've finished the season in 14th.

Lost 8 out 13 in the end however I've cracked it at home and now just struggle away although I came back from 3-0 down against Bolton to draw and beat Man U and Man C 2-0 and 4-1. I suppose players need a bit of time to get ued to things and also my oldest defender is 20.

Brought in Woodgate, Baines, Lavezzi and i'm looking at Michael Owen so I'll keep plugging away and let you know how I get on.

Your pal seems to be getting to grips with it so hopefully I will soon.

Definitely right about ranking also by the way.

wwfan:

Is there any way you can hemp me here because I am struggling atm to keep clean sheets and defend properly.

Here is my team and usual line-up so you can see the personnel available to me:

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/9028/teamscreenzc6.jpg

As for tactics I play 4-4-2 short farrows with global mentality (everyone on normal). Now I use a d-line of 6-8 depending on opponents and CB's close down 'rarely'(6) and FB's 'mixed' (8). CB's rarely FWD runs and RWB and FB's FWD run mixed and RWB often. I don't use any kind of man or tight marking. I generally play mixed tempo and passing style (slight changes depending on oppo) and 'wide' style of play. Against top sides I usually tick 'counter' and 'focus down flanks'.

Do you have any good tips that can help get more clean sheets, thanks for any help.

Im still having trouble away. Just played hamburg away they started with a 4-4-2 SFarrows so i started with the attacking build.

Halftime 0-0 I've had more shots more SoT better possession and better pass completion

Second half started the same way

They went 1-0 up around 55min. they switched to a flat 4-4-2 so i switched to control.

they went 2-0 around the 70min everything stayed the same

we got one back around the 85min 40yard screamer from scholes.

ended 2-1

im going to tone down the tackling because im giving away to many freekicks around my area.

current average stats:

shots - 53

SoT - 62.26%

Goals/Game for - 1.75

Goals/Game against - 1

possession - 53.75%

pass completion - 71.25%

Easy win method.

Use Control tactic against defensive tactics(no arrows).

Use Counter tactic against normal tactics(short arrows/farrows).

Use Defend tactic against attacking tactics(long arrows/farrows).

I'm 2nd after 9 games with West Ham, W 6 D 2 L 1

Just beat Arsenal 2-1 away with the defend tactic against their 442 long farrows!.

i have been having mixed success with this tactical approcah...i find that it is very affective when it comes to the AI playing a 4-4-2 but seem to have problems discerning between the other tactics they play i e a 3-5-2. any tips on how to counter?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve.0011:

In the counter tactic my keeper has forward runs and run with ball on often and Challenge GK on corners o_O </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nevermind, redownloaded the tactics and it's fixed

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sirlimps:

i have been having mixed success with this tactical approcah...i find that it is very affective when it comes to the AI playing a 4-4-2 but seem to have problems discerning between the other tactics they play i e a 3-5-2. any tips on how to counter? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just look for the arrows in any tactic and use as above!.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 2ndchance:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sirlimps:

i have been having mixed success with this tactical approcah...i find that it is very affective when it comes to the AI playing a 4-4-2 but seem to have problems discerning between the other tactics they play i e a 3-5-2. any tips on how to counter? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just look for the arrows in any tactic and use as above!. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, but this only works if u're the underdog..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aquaplex:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 2ndchance:

Just look for the arrows in any tactic and use as above!. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, but this only works if u're the underdog.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it works against anyone, try it and see!.

Tactics seem great wwfan. However none of your tactics are any good against Ajax. They're playing a narrow diamond 4-1-2-1-2 no pure wingers but both forwards have sarrows. How to stop them?? They're messing me up all the time!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thetruegooner:

can someone tell what tactic i would use against chelseas 4-1-2-2-1 tactic which also happens to be lyons tactic on my game should i use counter because of the short farrows on the wingers or would i need to use summin else </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would use attack at home, counter or possession away, depending on the relative strength of the squads.

2ndchance

I've found that using the tactics as you've suggested works a treat. I was coming on the forum to declare that I finally understand the AI (to a certain point) and I noticed that you use the tactics the same way I do.

I am also West Ham and have won 5 and lost 2 (away to Man U and Arsenal). Only just starting my second season after a disastrous first season. My first 4 away games were Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea.

I am finding that I am having a lot of problems keeping clean sheets with these tactics.

I follow your instructions wwfan, and my team Milan, is littered with quality players, but I do seem to be picking up a lot of draws by conceeding goals after taking the lead.

To give an example. In my last league game away to Piacenza, they started out with a flat 4-4-2 (no arrows on any of their players). I started out using the 'control' tactic. At half time everything was fine, I was leading 1-0, having about 50-55% of the possession and I don't think they had really created any chances.

At half time they changed to a 4-4-2 with long forward arrows, so I straight away went to the 'counter' tactic (I had the same sort of scenario in a previous match and carried on using the 'possession' tactic and lost). They scored in about the 80th min, changed to a flat 4-4-2 again, I reverted to the control tactic, but failed to score.

At the end of the game I had 8 shots, 3 on target, 55% possession and 68% pass completion.

I have been using the tactic(s) for 10 competitive games now. Is there something else I could try tweaking in your opinion, or is it just a case of letting the players get a bit more familiar with the tactics?

Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by old gregg:

2ndchance

I've found that using the tactics as you've suggested works a treat. I was coming on the forum to declare that I finally understand the AI (to a certain point) and I noticed that you use the tactics the same way I do.

I am also West Ham and have won 5 and lost 2 (away to Man U and Arsenal). Only just starting my second season after a disastrous first season. My first 4 away games were Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good to hear it. By friend has restarted his West Ham game and lies second after 9, so it is possble first season. He is playing in a similar way to 2ndChance.

Bah! However simple I try to make things, someone else simplifies it even further!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by davehanson:

I am finding that I am having a lot of problems keeping clean sheets with these tactics.

I follow your instructions wwfan, and my team Milan, is littered with quality players, but I do seem to be picking up a lot of draws by conceeding goals after taking the lead.

To give an example. In my last league game away to Piacenza, they started out with a flat 4-4-2 (no arrows on any of their players). I started out using the 'control' tactic. At half time everything was fine, I was leading 1-0, having about 50-55% of the possession and I don't think they had really created any chances.

At half time they changed to a 4-4-2 with long forward arrows, so I straight away went to the 'counter' tactic (I had the same sort of scenario in a previous match and carried on using the 'possession' tactic and lost). They scored in about the 80th min, changed to a flat 4-4-2 again, I reverted to the control tactic, but failed to score.

At the end of the game I had 8 shots, 3 on target, 55% possession and 68% pass completion.

I have been using the tactic(s) for 10 competitive games now. Is there something else I could try tweaking in your opinion, or is it just a case of letting the players get a bit more familiar with the tactics?

Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can only suggest experimenting. I rarely use anything except Control and Possession playing away to poor sides, but am often two goals to the good by half-time. I have slipped up once, but in general it works. For the scenario you mentioned, I would probably gone to possession until 70-75 minute, then to counter. However, if the match stats suggested they were getting back into the game I would change earlier.

Guest icewise

Just wanted to say this whole thing is a great idea. I played this game for a long time and still haven't gotten anywhere with it.... but this idea seems very good. However after implementing it, and trust me i knew what i was doing it hasn't done that great, it has some games and not the others.

The biggest problem i have is completly dominating games (posession 55-65% and pass completion 10% higher than rivals) yet having way less shots on target etc. and the other team winning because of ridiculous defending!

I am using your tactics but i still haven't gotten round to changing them for each player. I expect i should right because if some defenders are excellent at long shooting i should put that on, and if some players are very creative ala delgado i should give them more creative feedom right.

hi wwfan, I'm currently trying to develop my own tactics set based loosely on yours and a few others. but I have a question regarding the AI's passing style and width.

how do you tell from the 2d match engine and match/player stats if the AI is playing short/slow or direct/fast? this is one area where I'm still very much in the dark.

thanks for your time.

@ icewise: You're right that some changes will increase the performance of the tactic, but you shouldn't need that many. I do wonder about the 'comedy' defending, because year in, year out, my two DCs are my best players. After 9 league matches in my current season they are averaging 8.25 and 7.90 with 6 goals between them.

@ faruq: I don't pay much attention to opposing passing styles to be honest. I assume the better the side the shorter the passing. Home also shorter than away. However, tempo is pretty easy to pick just by watching the 2d.

Guest icewise

Hey man is there any chance that you will in the future just like show how you go about playing for a few games story kinda mode thing.. with those tactics

This is a fantastic post (again) WWfan, where would FM be without you! icon_biggrin.gif

I'm in my 2nd season with Preston and in the Prem. Really struggled this season because of my squad isn't really good enough and been in bottom 3 all season. Now in Febuary and tried this set of tactics. So far played 3 won 3, including 6 pointers against Reading and Palace. I'm now only 3 points off 17th place after being 10 points behind about a month earlier

Also it's the first time in the 2 seasons that David Nugents been on fire, and I got Mido on a free to play along side him who's firing too.

Even if I stay up or go down, I'm looking forward to season 3 with this set of tactics. Thanks agian WWfan icon14.gif

WWFan - What you wrote was great but i downloaded your set and it didnt really work well for me. So I used your ideas and made my own versions using global mentality and passing. This is working great as ive won every game and conceding hardly any. However, my strikers arent scoring much and a lot of games are only 1-0 wins. But at least im not conceding so ive got a platform to build on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kugle:

Been a good tactic so far won 8 out of my 9 games. Lost 1 to arsenal with a reserve team so i its working fine icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But im having a hard time scoring goals :/ i usally win 1-0

Nearly all of my wins have been 2-1 due in large part to Woodagate and Ferdinand making stupid mistakes.

wwfan

It's all coming together for my West Ham side now. after 13 games in the second season i'm 2nd in the league having won 9 and lost 4 (all away to Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea and Villa) so i'm not too upset about them. Should have beat Chelsea as well.

Anyway it goes to show that even if these tactics aren't working for you it's best to stick it out and eventually it'll come together.

thanks WWFan.

Well, Thanks for these tactics. They change my management into a game of sissors, paper, Stone!! Real time stategy game anyone? Worldcraft, starcraft, age of empire...

Pikeman > horseman

horseman > foot solders

foot soldiers > Pikeman.

And I'm not complaining!! ^^ Thanks again...

Currently Cruising 1st with Walsall in English League 1. Hope those who have problems, didn't over set the sliders to the extreme ^^ Set it just enough works for me.

eg. Rarely Closing down = click the slider to the left till the "RARELY" appears.

Hello wwfan

seemingly excellent tactic

first i would like to say thank you, you provide a great help to gamers like myself, and make this game so much more enjoyable

right ive got a question, i stumbled on your tactic and thought right id like to mix it with minimal fuss's displaced striker and play target man

after one halve i wasnt winning and being a bit impatient i changed it to the displaced strikerand playing target man

this gave me immediate success and i have gone on a winning spree

so i just want to know, is this something u advise to do or will it completely bugger up the balance of ur tactics?

although successfl at the mo, i know how these things change soon

once again thank u very much

wwfan I seem to struggle against man utd's 4-4-1-1 and sometimes against the 4-2-3-1 which is basicly the same formation, the possession and control work ok, but doesn't give enough actual shots, should I go with the attack one or even counter?

from what I've experienced the Attack framework gives away a bit to much possession to my taste, but I'll use it if it works icon_smile.gif

wwfan i used your tactic set up for reggina in season 1 of serie a....only won 2 drew 2 lost 12 so i resigned...got a job with Everton and same sort of thing happened...not working for me

In the spirit of trying to help on both sides.

1. It is far better, in terms of a result, to provide an explanation on a theory than to actually provide a set of tactics for download. The risk is that the tactic is tailored to a given team and scenario and hence may not be a "universal" solution, if such a thing exists in this version.

2. The tactic provider is trying to help the downloader find success. If the tactic does not work immediately, adjust according to your specific situation. In addition it will take a few games to assimilate if midway through an existing game.

In fairness to wwfan, he is only trying to make this game more enjoyable for all (and for this deserves massive credit), and whilst the tactic sets (for download) may not work for all users, the majority of the theory behind them (which is very well explained) does stand up to closer scrutiny.

A bit more trial and error followed by reaction to the feedback the game gives you, and less searching for the golden bullet may be the way for the majority of users to get more from this game. ;-)

i read this thread with interest, because it is fairly similar to my approach to the game, although i go a lot more on feeling, where wwfan seems to take a much more logical approach to the game.

so i thought i would try this out, as much as i dont like to 'steal' other peoples tactics, i have justified it to myself by saying its just a logical approach to what im already doing and im just educating myself....

so i load up my game, next fixture, Liverpool vs Arsenal

now there is a test if ever there was one.

i press go to match and i see short farrows so its the attack option for liverpool then.

its half time and the game seems fairly even, but this is arsenal, im never going to walk it

they scored first at 5 minutes from a deflected free kick but havent really looked like scoring since

then podolski left his defender from a gerrard through ball from the wide right to make it even on the half hour mark

3 minutes later a guardado cross all the way to the other side of the pitch lets gerrard squeeze a tight goal in past lehmann and we go in at half time 2-1 up

arsenal come out of the changing room with long farrows, personally i hate counter attack tactics, becuase i feel like i am inviting the opposition into my half so i picked possesion to adjust to their change

and on 55minutes a nice little passing move puts podolski behind the arsenal back 4 to make it 3-1

i thought it was interesting on 76mins Gallas made a completley unpressured backpass to the kop and gave us a corner

93minutes and 31 seconds, a defensive lob to the left corner allows guardado to cross it into podolski waiting on the six yard line who completes his hat trick.

key stats:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Liverpool Arsenal

shots: 16 13

on target 7 6

off 9 7

possesion 50/50

corners 2 5

passes comp 60% 62%

crosses 25% 34%

tackles won 56% 78%

headers won 57% 50%

</pre>

now to me those stats alone dont suggest we had the greatest game, but a 4-1 end result and watching the game tell the story.

ill attach the match file for your interest:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ptcqkn

good job wwfan icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thezogsageordie:

yeah i'd like to know how to play against these 4-5-1/4-3-3's! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

use attack at home and control or possession away depends on the relative strength of the squads.

just reporting my season so far with theses frameworks

i am arsenal 21 games in the all competitions i have won 14 drawn 3 lost 4 scored 51 and conceded 31 i have managed to beat liverpool 2-1 and man utd 2-1 aswell.

the teams i have lost to which my team controlled most of the game was against chelsea conceded in the last 2 mins,middlesbrough lost 2-0,lost to aston villa 3-2 and bolton in league cup 1-0

even though my team had more shot ,possession,and passing stats

i really dont know why i am conceding a lot of goals. but i will carry on and see where i finish currently 5th in the league.

hehe, im conceding a crazy amount of goals as well,

although I am southend in the prem, but I have a decent squad so I shouldn't be conceding as many as I am. I often have the better passing and possession percentage as well.

I have tried tweaking settings, mainly lowering defensive line and team mentality (agaisnt fast paces strikers) but so far no change. Im scoring well, Drawing loads (5 draws in last 7 games :p )

I'll keep tweaking to suit my team but theres so many different scenarios that experimenting becomes tricky.

Hey wwfan, thanks for your time and effort! I look forward reading your posts every time they appear! My self, I got no time testing and producing my own tactis because of my work, so I use yours and make minimal changes. Thank you, you are the one making my FM a pleasure to play every day!!!

Archived