[FM11] Bouncing Around Britain

Oxford94

Bala_Town_FC-logo-C645B57033-seeklogo.com.gif

Full Name: Bala Town Football Club

Nickname: The Lakesiders or Lakers

Founded: 1880’s

Ground: Maes Tegid Capacity 4000 (364 seated)

Season Ticket Holders: 12

Estimated Value: £150k

Media Prediction: 12th (bottom of the league)

A History

Bala's early history is not well documented but first memories are of a team in the early 1880s playing games on the Lake foreshore. After Bala formed 2 teams, Bala North End and Bala South End who competed until 1897 when a team called Bala Thursdays was formed and played on Castle Park (the present cricket field). The Bala Press Team was established then in the 1900s and became one of the best amateur sides in North Wales winning many trophies including the Dolgellau Cup and Cambrian Coast League (no dates are available). The local Bragdy Cup was first played for by local teams in the early 1930s and this competition is still alive and flourishing today.

The first available League status record is of Bala playing in the Welsh National League North Division 2 East in 1921/22 Season – no further league records are to hand. Bala were still playing at Castle Park where one of the most epic games in the Club's history was played in 1946 against Shrewsbury Town of the Midland Football League in the 4th round of the Welsh Senior Cup. Bala held their illustrious opponents to a 1–1 draw. In the early 50's Bala then moved to the adjacent Maes Tegid where they have maintained since and played in the Welsh National League (Wrexham Area) from 1950–54.

They rejoined the Cambrian Coast League in 1954 and were League Runners-up in 1957/58. They had a treble winning season in 1958/59 winning League, Cup and Mid Wales Cup. They were again runners up in 1960/61 before being Champions again in 1962/63. The Club then re-entered the Welsh National League (Wrexham Area) in 1963/64 and have been ever present in the League since then. Bala were Division 2 Champions in 1967/68 and were promoted to Division 1 for the 1968/69 season. They remained in the top division for 20 years until relegated in 1987/88 season. By now Division 1 had been re-named the Premier Division therefore Bala were again in Division 1 after relegation. They won the Division 1 Championship in 1989/90 but after promotion to the Premier League were relegated back after 1990/91 and further dropped to Division 2 in 1992/93 when the Reserves Team folded due to lack of support. They were promoted to Division 1 for 1995/96 Season and won the Division 1 Championship in 1997/98 to be promoted to the Premier Division where they remained until Premier Division Champions in 2003/04, and promoted to the Cymru Alliance League for 2004/05 Season.

Bala won the NEWFA Challenge Cup in 2004 with an extra time victory over Buckley Town at Cefn Druids.

In their first season in the Cymru Alliance 2004/05 the club finished in a very creditable 4th place, reached the Quarter Final of the Welsh Senior Cup, were losing finalists against Buckley Town in the NEWFA Challenge Cup Final held at the Racecourse Ground, Wrexham, and won the Cymru Alliance League Cup. The Youth Team also reached the Semi-Final of the Welsh Youth Cup. A momentous year for the Maes Tegid club under the Managerial guidance of Colin Caton. The club finished in 7th position in the Cymru Alliance 2005/6 and lost on penalties in the Final of the League Cup.

The Reserves however had a momentous double winning season as Champions of Div 2 WNL Wrexham area and also winning the League Cup. Floodlights will be installed for the 2006/7 season and further spectator stand extensions are also being carried out. The Management team of Colin Caton and Steve Crompton have now been replaced by new manager Oxford94 and the club has high hopes of further success in the year to come.

Starting Squad

GK

Leon Bimpson

DF

Brett Jefferies

DF

Danny Jellicoe

DF

Steve Fisher

DF

Mark Harris

DF

Shaun Kelly

DF

Mark Powell

DF

John Irving

MF

Paul Ennis

MF

Robert Evans

MF

Owain Roberts

MF

Mark Jones

MF

Osian Jones

MF

Gethin Lloyd

MF

Danny Williams

FW

Ross Jefferies

FW

Steve Fisher

FW

Josh Macauley

FW

Chris Mason

Not including Youth players which will be mentioned if and when necessary.

Thanks greenwhitearmy, i hope too!

Quick Update: No Transfers in or out yet and not many plans too bring many in due to lack of finance. Unless brought in on frees

Pre Season: Just the two friendlies, resulting in 2 losses, 1-2 to Welling and also 1-3 To Armagh. Not really too concerned though as many youth players were used across these fixtures. Will update monthly through the season with a small summary of each match

Principality Welsh Prem: Bala Town 2-1 Newtown AFC

Osian Jones scored a great header in the 8th minute to put us ahead we were then pegged back in the 50 minute, we then scored through our young winger Paul Ennis in the 86th minute with a tap in from a few yards, scored with a bit of fortune in the end. An unexpected great start to the season and we are way on our way to achieving this seasons objective of survival!

Attendance: 20

Neil Carroll brought in on a free transfer, 21 year old central midfielder - looks promising

Principality Welsh Prem: Bala Town 0-2 Port Talbot Town

We deservedly lost this one and were never really in the game due to the gulf in class between the two sides, we were lucky to lose by only 2 in the end really considering they had over 20 shots compared to our measley 5 with none on target. Never really looked like scoring, oh well, on to the next game.

Attendance: 15

Principality Welsh Prem: Airbus UK 2-0 Bala Town

We deservedly lost this one and were never really in the game due to the gulf in class between the two sides, we were lucky to lose by only 2 in the end really considering they had over 24 shots compared to our measley 6 with only 1 on target. Never really looked like scoring, oh well, on to the next game. Exactly the same as the last game, identical.

Attendance: 88

An ok start to the season, we should be ok come the end.

Current Position: 10th

Thanks DSYoungEsq, id hope to prevent them from getting relegated!

Principality Welsh Prem: Llanelli AFC 4 -0 Bala Town

Third game in a row without a goal worryingly. Another demolition with 2 penalties really adding to the scoreline to make it a lot worse than it actually was.

Attendance: 222

Principality Welsh Prem: Prestatyn 1 -1 Bala Town

Chris Mason popped up in the 10th minute to give us an early lead in this one. The second half was dominated by Prestatyn and they deserved their equalizer in the 51st minute of the game. Good point away from home, any points are with this team!

Attendance: 103

Principality Welsh Prem: Bala Town 0-1 Camarthen

When you are drawing 0-0 at home and the opposition receive a red card in the 79th minute, you at least expect to pick up a point. But instead in the 86th minute, poor marking led to Carmarthen taking all 3 points.

Attendance: 40

Current League Position: 11th

Manager Comment: This season will be very much a battle for 11th place as it seems, But hopefully if we could bring a few in in January we could do better. Winger Paul Ennis is also on fine form at the moment.

Principality Welsh Prem: Haverfordwest 3 -0 Bala Town

Wasn’t really expecting to get anything and so getting beat 3-0 wasn’t at all surprising, could have been a lot more really.

Attendance: 225

Principality Welsh Prem: Bala Town 0-0 TNS

A bore draw, but couldn’t be happier against arguably the best team in the division. Clean sheet mainly down to the incredibly defensive formation we played! Not far off of Craig Leivein’s famous 4-6-0 formation put out in a Scotland game.

Attendance: 24

Principality Welsh Prem: Neath 3 -1 Bala Town

Lost this one down to Neath’s key man Lee Trundle, formerly of Swansea City getting 2 goals which in the end was the difference between the two sides. Chris Mason managed to get us a goal on 50 minutes but was quickly cancelled out by an O.G by winger Paul Ennis.

Attendance: 60

Welsh League Cup: Bala Town 1-2 Carmarthen

Osain Jones popped up in the 53rd minute to equalize for us sending the majority of the 40 crowd wild. But unfortunately in the 83rd minute a mistake at the back caused us to be knocked out of the cup. I’m not worried though because this cup wasn’t a priority.

Attendance: 40

Principality Welsh Prem: Aberystwyth 2 -2 Bala Town

So back to the hard graft of the league and the struggle. It seemed to be back to usual when after only 3 minutes, we went behind. We then got back on terms with a 56th minute Shaun Kelly goal and then even more amazingly went ahead in the 61st minute through Brett Jefferies. The excitement only lasted a few minutes when Aberystwyth got a 64th minute equalizer but we were quite happy to come away with a point on reflection.

Attendance: 281

Current League Position: 11th

Manager Comment: Can’t see where the next win is going to come from and we haven’t won on the road yet this season, despite this we are still being propped up by Newtown at the bottom of the league who are unfortunately beginning to pick up a few points.

Hey mate

By the way I speak Welsh your title dosen't make sense, tell me what it's meant to say in English and I'll translate then you can tell a mod :)

Yeah, that may be down to google translate really :L it was something like 'a wilful man must have his way' to be honest i just wanted a welsh sounding title. But if it actually made sense it would be an improvement so id be happy if you could give me the actual translation :).... who would i contact in terms of changing the thread name by the way?

Yeah, that may be down to google translate really :L it was something like 'a wilful man must have his way' to be honest i just wanted a welsh sounding title. But if it actually made sense it would be an improvement so id be happy if you could give me the actual translation :).... who would i contact in terms of changing the thread name by the way?

For changing the your thread name just ask in the Mod's request thread which is located here

Good luck in the Welsh Prem :thup: I used to watch alot of it when Rhyl were in the Welsh Prem so will be following this closely!

I will consider changing the name of the thread soon :) and btw i didnt know about the league dividing in to two so thanks for that.

November Update

novemberfixtures.png

Most important game of the month!

NewtownvBalaInformation_Overview.png

League Table

PrincipalityWelshPremierInformation_LeagueTable.png

Manager Comment: Vital, vital result against Newtown and was made even better by the lateness of the final goal and also the fact that we only had 3 shots on target and they all went in! We seem on course for safety and our strikers are actually starting to score a few which always helps! Currently only being propped up by Newtown and long may it continue!

* edit to readers: better or worse layout than previous updates?

December 2010

Decemberfixtures.png

Match of the Month (the only win)

BalavHaverfordwestInformation_Overview.png

Match Comment: Unbelievable result considering that we went down to 10 men!

League Table

PrincipalityWelshPremierInformation_LeagueTable-2.png

Manager Comment: We have now reach the rather dizzy heights of 10th in the league :rolleyes: but its an improvement and with us looking to bring a couple of players in (probably on frees although i have a mighty budget of 1.5k) in the january transfer window. Who knows how far we can go this season now.

Some stats:

Top league Goalscorer: Chris Mason -5

Highest Average Rating: Osian Jones - 6.83

Current Average Attendance: 24

Thanks BWG but i think it may be a bit premature to say that im improving. see below

January 2011

New Signings

AlanKingProfile_Attributes-1.png

RobertMcCormickProfile_Attributes-1.png

Alan King cost £0

Robert McCormick cost £1k

Results

January2011.png

League Table

PrincipalityWelshPremierInformation_LeagueTable-2-1.png

Manager Comment: Well, we got a draw and we're still in the cup so it could be worse, we could be bottom and out of the cup i guess.

Thanks DSYoungEsq we should stay up! ......... I know AK22! we have a core support of about 10!

Vital end of season results:

endofseason.png

Vital Game no 1 (how it panned out)

BalavNewtownInformation_Overview.png

Vital game no 2

BalavPrestatynInformation_Overview.png

So important that both these games were won because at the end of the previous 2 games, we were bottom of the league and staring relegation in the face. This is why these two wins were absolutely vital especially the result against Newtown which if lost could have swung the final result the other way aswell. Also AK22 you may notice that we had our lowest attendance at just 14 against Newtown bu they all came flooding back for the final game of the season. On another note, the lateness of the goals were simply incredible.

PrincipalityWelshPremierInformation_LeagueTable-4.png

Survived by an almighty 6 points in the end! although it seemed that it was going to be a lot closer at one stage.

First Half of the Season

Current Best Team according to the Ass Man

bestTeam.png

Results

Fixtures1.png

fixtures2.png

League Table

Leaguetableeee.png

A much more promising start than the previous season. Although our aim officially is to avoid relegation again i would put our aim as finish in the top 6. We have had a few really promising wins against top sides such as TNS and our squad is much much stronger than last season.

*sorry for the low quality - pictures were rushed.

Work really hard to retain 6th place. If you get 6th at the 22 game split, you have the ability to do anything you want for results after that, and you always finish 6th at worst, even if 7th and 8th place teams gain more points. Then, you get the home field advantage in the playoff play-in game with the 7th place team.

Final Games of the Season

fixtures.png

Final League Table

leaguetable.png

Not a great way to end the season but a great improvement on last season. im assuming there are games to contest for european places coming up so i shall wait for those and do game by game updates when it is drawn and they have been played :)

This was just unbelievable.

NeathvBalaInformation_Overview.png

Our first win over Neath in all 9 of the games that we had played against them since i took over the role as manager (possible helped though by the fact they had 2 players sent off....) :p

It then got even better.....

TNSvBalaInformation_Overview.png

Unbelievably a win on penalties, this was just way beyond my expectations this season.

And to top it all off

manageroftheyear.png

Season 3

Pre Season

transfersinandout.png

Some really high quality signings brought in here, possibly lured in by the prospect of european football especially some of the young welsh strikers that i have brought in. Craig Nelthorpe is a name which is familiar to me as i have seen him play for oxford a few times a few years back. A vicious winger with a bad temper. (perhaps demonstrated by his aggression rating of 20!)

Preserson.png

A rather amazing pre season and european adventure took place. We were handed a tough draw in Latvia against a team i'd never heard of with mysteriously high rated 'grey' players. We lost 4-2 and all seemed over but i was quietly optimistic that coming to Maes Tegid would not be as easy as the home leg for them. I was proved right when we stunned them in a 4-0 incisive victory.

Up next was Celik (who?) who over the 2 legs beat us comfortably, although on reflection we would have got absolutely murdered by AS Nancy Lorraine if we were to get through to the 3rd qualifiying round. In the end it was a short adventure but a thoroughly enjoyable one which raised over 100k and saw the clubs record attendances smashed in the process.

Start To the Season

Fixturesupto16.png

We made an absolutely amazing start to the domestic season going the first 8 games unbeaten and reeally battering a few teams in the process such as beating Bangor City 4-1with our new strikeforce of David Goldsmith and Leon Newell absolutely tearing them up. Although there was a dodgy patch in the middle where we lost quite unexpectably to a few teams (apart from Neath who have gone back to being our bogey team!) Despite this little run of bad results we remained top of the league after winning the last few to stay on track.

If we can keep this sort of form up throughout the season, who knows? Champions of Wales and a Champions league Adventure?

leaguetableafter16.png

Poor old poor old Barry, what have they let themselves in for by getting promoted? :p I wonder whether they will actually win a game this season, or even record a point?!

Run up to the League Split

6fixtueres.png

Was unbeaten in this small period of 6 games, bit dissapointed with the 0-0 away draw with Prestatyn but oh well, shouldnt complain. We are still on course to achieve our first ever title win and the games will only get tougher after the split as we will be playing all of the teams around us at the top which will really test our title credentials.

leaguetablebeforesoo.png

Now a mighty 12 points clear at the top! surely we can hold on to this now. My thoughts are with Barry who are still yet to win a game this season. But at least theyve picked up 2 points :p they are now just 5 dropped points away from the dreaded relegation!

End to the Season

last10games.png

A real mixed bag of results in this seasons Champions Group. There was a crazy start to the run in with a 6-3 defeat to Aberstywyth. Shipping these 6 goals really made me question our defensive capabilities and i proceeded to switch it around a bit to make us a bit tighter at the back. This payed off in the next fixture at home to TNS as we went on to keep a clean sheet and win the game confortably 2-0. This was followed by a couple of 1-1 draws. In the next 6 games, we were inconsistent winning 3 and losing 3 although this didnt make any difference to the clubs title credentials.

fianlleaguetable.png

We've done it! Champions of Wales! a great season in which the title was won quite comfortably in the end by 9 points. Although the money for actually finishing top of the Welsh League is only a measly few thousand. The prospect of playing in the Champions League Qualifiers is great and there is a lot of money being banded about in that competition.

To do this in our 3rd season is just great and it is by far Bala Towns highest ever league positioning. Roll on next year and hopefully another league title as we loook to enhance the reputation of the Welsh league and also more importantly ourselves in our challenge to one day make the Champions League Group Stages.

Also a word for the mighty Barry, who managed to record a 1-0 victory over Prestatyn to end a barren run which stretched over a 25 game period.

Another great note, Won manager of the year for the second year running.

manageroftheyear-1.png

Thanks for all the comments.

Pre-Season

tansfers.png

Quite a few new faces brought in for the coming season and a few un-needed players gone out. My favourite player brought in has to be 18 year old central midfielder, Ryan Fearon who happens to share my exact birth date. The majority of the players brought in are youngsters that were released by bigger English clubs that i feel still have a lot of potential to be really good players.

preseason-1.png

Up first was the clubs first ever appearance in the ECC and the draw was nice to us as in the first round we played U.E. Santa Colomba of Andorra. We happened to beat them comfortably over the two legs and the attendance was over 900 inside Maes Tegid. Up next was Matlock, our reserves were thrown out and we easily won 5-1. Unfortunately the next team we drew was Teplice of Czech Republic a very hard game which we struggled in and lost convincingly. Although we were already out, i was proud of our first attempt at the Champions League and we had recieved big money for playing through attendances, TV revenue and Competition money.

Results so far

starttotheseason.png

Not as good of a start to the season as the last, in my opinion due to the current lack of experience in our squad, as the core of our team is still in their teens. Nevertheless we are still stop of the league albeit by goal difference. :)

Table So Far

table.png

Also rather oddly TNS are only a point away from the relegation zone and have actually occupied that spot for a large percentage of the time this season. This season my main contender for the title seems to be Aberystywth and also possibly Haverfordwest. Once again our aim is to be champions and make the single ECC place.

On another note, we have also reached the Loosemores Cup Final.

Plugging away nicely, I see. I found that, with Prestatyn, the League can be a difficult proposition until you get into the swing of dealing with European fixtures crowding the calendar early. You don't get the same running start you do by tackling a series of really nice friendlies. Eventually, you'll simply be too good for it to matter. :)

Archived