FM11 - Tottenham Hotspur - Rise of the Triffics (take 3)

Jedi Spur

little devil-I've used Bassong at left back many times and he's usually solid there, although to be honest he gets caught out in the bigger games and is a better CB. Bassong is a very good defender so i try to get him as much game time as poss, although i have managed to stick with BAE and he is very consistent. I was ready to sell him in january, but he must've known and started working!

That said, i think left back is one place in the squad that needs to be sorted, as imo naughton is not good enough.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1st season? That really is an impressive performance. Any 9-0 in the EPL is phenomenal.

And thanks to you for your kind words about the thread. I'm glad there's a good bunch of people enjoying Spurs. :thup:

Yes, it is the first season. I sold Crouch, Pav and Keane to allow me to buy Dzeko, and this was the first game with Defoe and him in a partnership. Defoe's hat-trick led the way. Defoe is absolutely lethal in this game.

4v6ajjgdlpugvcefht_thumb.png

Not the toughest opposition, but just beat Blackpool 9-0 in my first game without VDV. Currently in 3rd place in January. I plan on posting a nice long update at the end of the season. This is really a great thread.

When you start beating Arsenal like that then you know you're doing good ;)

I've got to work out a way to beat Chelsea this season, their my achilles heel, Arsenal are no trouble, touch wood, but i seem to end up playing rivals too often, i suppose this is the problem of the strength of the London clubs meaning that you're going to encounter them in European competitions :( I may opt for the "i'm going to score one more than you" approach and throw 3 strikers at them. I also just missed out on signing Lucio, i noticed that Man City were interested tried to get a bid in, but too late :( i like DC who go off on a run like he does actually had Gallas do it last season, don't know who was more suprised my strikers or Chelsea, in the final match of the season (2-1 defeat at home to Chelsea, who then won the league) he picked the ball up around the penalty box (my penalty box), shot up the right wing and sent in a cross which set up Crouch, the Chelsea team had melted away in fear at his coming :)

Anyone give Gallas a new contract.Greedy goon wants £80,000 a week

Did give Gallas a one year extension, 65k and 6k appearance, the trick i found was to drop the agents fee low then hack around at the contract till we were approaching something i'd tolerate then i'd lift the agents fee, take a chop at the clauses and get the deal i want (all the agents are interested in is their own pockets, they'll always sacrifice their players interests in the end).

@Jedi Spur, think thats what i'm going to try this season, but with the new addition of Babacar i'm not sure the team'll be able to do it, particularly with me playing a lone striker often (to allow VDV space), usually use the striker to hold the ball up for the AMC's.

P.S. I've also extended King's contract seeing as he won me the CL in the last minute of play another one year extension, 48k and 5k appearance as a squad rotation as i'm bringing Phil Jones (bought from Blackburn at the for 10 mil first season) into the team, Jones has been reliable when called upon and scores goals.

Skeletore, looks like you've got Defoe going well, i found the same thing once VDV got injured and i started playing 4 - 4 - 2 diamond, had Defoe with a target man, managed to get 4 goals out of him in one match :)

He seems to be a beast in this year's version. I don't plan on replacing him until absolutely necessary. He's got 25 goals in 27 appearances so far this season.

Edit: Both these results were without Bale, as well as VDV. Spurs have an excellent squad.

Bale will be lucky this season, i had to play him in defence in for the 1st this time he's going out on the wing. I'm also considering buying Pastore and maybe Hernandez from Palermo, Pastore more likely, i've got the money they want around 35 mil its just i can't bring myself to pay any player 100k a week, and then bonuses! What i fancy is Brazilian style defenders, you know the type that think the opposition half is were you start defending from with the habit of trying to dribble from your goal line past the opposition keeper, that was the reason i was going after Lucio, i know he's old but he'd inspire the others, may set my defence to attack whenever possible and ask them to try to dribble round the opposition instead until i can find the Brazilians i need :)

P.S. got rid of Keane to Aston Villa (1.8 mil, hope that doesn't come back to haunt me), Pav loaned to Toulouse with the option to buy for 7.5 mil, and Crouch loaned to Stoke with an option to buy of 5 mil. Just need to get rid of the rest of the dead weight now, oh and Woodgate went on a free.

True it's just i seem to collect strikers, got Sanogo, Guarch and Galvan (both Mexicans, Galvan lists as AMC/SC), along with Kane in the reserves already and i just know that i'm going to end up buying 2/3 more newgen strikers this season as it is. My present strikers (first team) are Defoe, poacher, Babacar and Lukaku target men, and i've been playing with one front recently, not sure that i can fit him, know i can afford him ;)

May sleep on it and see tomorrow when i really look at what i've got in the team compared to what i can afford.

Arsenal signed Lucio for 5mill at the end of the first season, and he won them the premiership pretty much. He was impossible to get past.

I gave Gallas a 2yr extension after the first season also and i am very glad i did because he's been a rock. It's worth it, even paying 80 grand, because he'll save you having to give a transfer/signing on/agent fee. I think Gallas will decline though in my third season, but do i have to change his training around to accomodate that?

Right, gonna go a play the barca game.

haha, just saw 8-0 against Roma. Why can Defoe not do these things in real life?

True it's just i seem to collect strikers, got Sanogo, Guarch and Galvan (both Mexicans, Galvan lists as AMC/SC), along with Kane in the reserves already and i just know that i'm going to end up buying 2/3 more newgen strikers this season as it is. My present strikers (first team) are Defoe, poacher, Babacar and Lukaku target men, and i've been playing with one front recently, not sure that i can fit him, know i can afford him ;)

May sleep on it and see tomorrow when i really look at what i've got in the team compared to what i can afford.

How is Sanogo working out? I've got him coming on a free at the end of the season. Considered Dzeko but Real snapped him up for 22 million, so i couldnt compete.

Money permitting i may try and prise Cavani away from Napoli, but they have just won serie a so it may be imposs. Cavani and Hamsik would be most welcome here, although i'm not sure there is room for Hamsik.

Wont be doing any transfers in my first season in charge. Just had my CL group drawn... Rubin Kazan, AC Milan and Real Madrid... nice group :D

Lining up in a 424 formation with Gomes, Hutton, Gallas, King, Assou-ekkoto, Huddy(dm), Modric (mc), R VdV, Bale, Crouch and Defoe.

Dawson is immense for me, but there will always be the nagging feeling that i could do with an upgrade. Anyway, despite his relativley average stats, he has been a consisent 7.5 for me all season.

To the business in hand;

Well, it wasn't to be. Barcelona at the Allianz Areana was just a step too far for my battle worn troops. I ummed and ahhhed as to how i was going to set them up to play;Would i go rigid counter? No, this is the Champions league final, leave that nonsense to the Italian teams. Would i go out there with a balanced perspective, carefully judging the tempo of the game, and then after 20 minutes make a decision? No, not that either. Fluid, Attacking, lightning quick tempo from the first whistle and forget about the man marking, the deep defending. Take the game to them. Premiership pace and all that. It almost worked too.

The first ten minutes were nervous, we had the oomph but not the technical vituoso to match. Still, we kept on attacking. It looked like Barca were caught in headlights, and they offered absolutley no reply. We got into their box time and time again, but could not create a clear chance. I think if Rafa had been available, we may have had that extra spark. Still, we took a well deserved lead on the half hour mark through a scrappy Dawson tap in. Everyone was justifying their place in the team, especially Lennon. All our threat came from him down the wing. He ran and ran. Modric was playing a more free role than i usually have him in, and he providing some teasing through ball for Defoe to run on to. As for JD himself, he worked the channels with true determination, driving down the byline when he needed to, forcing corner after corner. Thudd was obviously born to play continental football, and without midfielders harrying him, he made some exquisite passes. Alou Diarra provided the midfield with some bit and aggression, pressing the Spaniards when they tried to pass us to death, forcing mistakes out of them. My defense were holding up their end, and playing high defensive line seemed to be worked despite my unease about it. Kaboul, a Morroccan titan of a defender, left the likes of Iniesta in no doubt as to who was in charge here. Dawson marshalled the line and my decision to use King paid off for the most part. What he lacked in fitness he made up in positional genius.

Alas, however, Barcelona came to life on 60 minutes, and they started putting together a nice passing game. David Villa made sure of an equaliser from close range on 66 minutes, and King was caught out by a Messi extraordinaire on 73 minutes, a floating, direct ball over the top for Villa to latch onto. £30 million worth of talent, and he showed it when he rounded the excellent Gomes to slot home. We went for the jugular. Pressing, hustling, driving down the flanks. Getting the ball into the box on numerous occassions, getting past the last man....but to no avail. The legs in my boys had all but gone. Bale had nothing left to give. Lennon was running on empty. Defoe could find no way past the collossal Gerard Pique. Not even the raw street smarts of Andy Carroll could find a way through, though he went close. So, so close.

I felt we played fantastically. Oh how i wanted to follow in Jose's footsteps, taking an underdog to the top. It will take a while to get over this disappointment. Still, we did ourselves proud. Ledley went down fighting, and I am pleased he got the chance to to taste a glorious European night before he retires, which he will, as we all knew when he pulled up in the 92nd minute. Hamstring. 3 months apparentley. Going to break it to him gentley-'Sorry Leds, it's time to go'.

Now i know the weaknesses in my squad, i will hustle some money out of old Levvers. My balance is looking rosy again, thanks to a 3rd place prem finish(on goal difference!) and a European final. I will sign one major player, and then concentrate on bringing youth to WHL, as this squad will need working on in the next two seasons. Next year i am going to win the league. Nuff said.

This ramble is over!

yep, just think i need a really world class striker, like Torres when he first joined liverpool.

The league was impossible this year due to arsenals almost invincible season. No-one could get near them, i finished 7pts off them with chelsea, although they had slightly better gd. Still, a break from this too addictive game is in order. then coming back, trying to do some business with certain players, and watching a few games at the euro championship in poland/ukraine!

2010/2011 Season Review

First season consisted of one major trophy, and a couple close calls. In all, I feel it was a success.

Transfers

I didn't plan on spending a lot of money, but I was really struggling for goals in January, as nobody except Defoe was scoring. I felt the possibility of adding Dzeko was too good to miss. I had also lost Gomes for 3 months in January, so I felt Hart would make a great stopgap. However, he performed really well, and will be my #1 next season.

hnwt2yomzujvqo8ogyoy_thumb.png

League

I started fairly slow, then went on a big streak where I came within 2 points of first place, before falling from grace at the end of the year. I had a huge rash of injuries, and had trouble fielding strong teams in the last couple months. At one point Tom Cairney and Sandro were my only fit CM's for 4 straight matches. With all the injuries I had, I was happy with my final position, and am confident that I'll be able to push for the title next season if everyone remains healthy.

6mguidxxgejtjlw6wo_thumb.png

Carling Cup

Played my backup team for the most part. Went down to Everton 2-1 on aggregate in the semi-final. This competition was not a priority for me, so I'm happy with how far we got.

FA Cup

Very disappointed to lose to Sunderland in the final. I had to start 4 guys with stanima in the mid-80's in the match, as this was during the biggest part of my injury crisis. I lost in the final 2-1, and it could have been worse. I would love to win the competition next year.

Champions League

Clearly the highlight of my season. After defeating Bayern Munich in the quarter final, and then AC Milan in the semi final, I faced Barcelona at Wembley. A Gareth Bale wonder goal gave us a 1-0 lead in the 22nd minute. Puyol cancelled it out in the 65th, at which point I figured Barca would go on to win. However, it didn't turn out that way. Both teams had chances to win, but couldn't capitalize, and the game went to extra-time. Sandro became a Spurs hero with a 95th minute goal, and we hung on to lift the famous trophy in our home city. Definitely a great moment.

fsyvzsds0exuvwl5wyfs_thumb.png

Summer Preview

I don't plan on making a whole lot of changes, as I'm really happy with the way the squad looks. I plan on bringing in some youth, and maybe adding another CM, just in case I have another injury crisis. Joe Hart was great in goal, so I think Gomes is going to have to leave. Bentley and Kranjcar did very well when called upon, and I would love to keep them, but they can go for the right offer. I didn't make any staff changes at the start of the game, but I will be bringing in all my staff for this season.

All in all, a solid first season. I will give another update before I start the next season.

Just finished my 3rd season at Spurs- going to put the game on hold for now though. Have won one Premiership, 2 Champions leauges, the world club cup, Europa league and the league cup! VdV, Modric, Defoe have all been beasts in this game. Signed RvN in my first season he was awesome for me, Fletcher, Evans and Cavani the only real notable signings, I've mainly kept the same squad, sold a lot of players and brought through some of the younger ones (such as Walker). Oh and picked up Robben for a bargain 11mil as his contract has a year to go. Bank balance looking good too, I haven't really spent that much and the CL runs have raked in the money.

4-2-3-1 worked an absolute treat for me by the way, usually with

Defoe

Modric VdV Lennon

Hudd Fletcher

Bale Dawson Evans Kaboul

Gomes

Currently in Feb 2011 and am performing well. Unbeaten in the league, however I was knocked out of the FA Cup, losing 4-1 to Liverpool at home (THudd sent off after 26 mins). In the CL I just lost 2-1 away to AC Milan but hoping I can beat them at WHL.

In Jan VDV got injured and is out for 8 weeks (3 weeks now). I brought in Lukaku for 7.25m, even though I already have Babacar! Defoe the only consistent striker so I bought Lukaku. Getting Afellay and Rakitic on frees at the end of the season, along with Wickham and Jordan Spence for 3m each. COYS

Shame about the two Wigans goals though(joke!)

Alright lads, needs some squad advice if you please. In between 2nd and 3rd season, but struggling to see where i need to strengthen the team and squad;

GK- Gomes/Begovic/Sergio Asenjo(coming on free transfer)

DR/DL- Kaboul/Hutton/Corluka/Walker/Naughton/BAE

DC- Dawson/Gallas/Bassong/Sahko(coming on free transfer)/King(not renewing contract)

MC- Thudd/Sandro/A.Diarra/Palacios/Jenas(probably will not give new deal)

AM- Modric/Van de Vaart/Pienaar

AMR/L- Lennon/Bale

CF- Carroll/Defoe/Pav/Kadlec(can play inside fwd or AML too).

So there it is. All of them have performed well when called upon, no hopless players in here really. GK is solid, Asenjo probably be loaned out, Will sell one of Corluka/Hutton, and one of Walker/Naughton. In midfield Jenas will likely go, and Sandro will be used more as i think he will become the rock of our midfield. In an attacking sense, well Mods and VDV will not be going anyhwere, and Lennon and Bale are 1st choice. Piennar provides solid cover but we may be a little short here. In attack, we outscored everyone in the league and europe, so not a prob, and Kaldec is the long term successor to Defoe. Carroll has been very impressive and Pav is good cover. In midfield the only player i would consider selling is Wilson Palacios, but only if i have a better replacement.

I can't find anyone who would make a difference here, but would like some extra depth. And also want to concentrate on youth-No more players over 26. Wanted P.Jones but B'burn want £20million, Henderson is looking brilliant for Sunderland but not at the same price. Considering Vidal, but at 25 y/o he would be a 1st teamer and can't see him usurping Modric. Does anyone have any ideas? Would be much appreciated-

Yeah, tried a bid for Hazard but Chelsea have put 29.5mill on the table for him! So that blows me out of the water. My issue is funds not being released until early July. I only have 8million cash to spend. Bit concerned i will get left behind, because i can sign the best youth products yet, not with 8mill. City have just bought Benzema too, so i have heavy competition for the league title. In defense i think Gallas will play a more reduced role this season, with Dawson and Bassong as the main boys-And Sahko learning his trade. Which means a new left back. I want an Essien type midifielder too but cannot find anyone.

The board won't release the funds to buy Hazard. I'd be prepared to spend £25 mill on the kid-Seems reasonable right? Oh well, will just have to take a different transfer policy. BTW, do you have to win a title or European trophy to be given a bigger transfer budget? This is slightly frustrating, because in 2 seasons i have a 4th and 3rd place finish, an FA cup and a CL final-all on about a 12Million quid NET spend, yet i can't get early money from the board to secure players before pre-season.

I want an Essien type midifielder too but cannot find anyone.

Casemiro! He needs a bit of developing, especially in key defensive areas, but he's been outperforming Palacios and Sandro in a defensive role for my team. I think he's 20 now. :cool:

BTW, do you have to win a title or European trophy to be given a bigger transfer budget? This is slightly frustrating, because in 2 seasons i have a 4th and 3rd place finish, an FA cup and a CL final-all on about a 12Million quid NET spend, yet i can't get early money from the board to secure players before pre-season.

That's odd. Halfway through my first season the board decided to give me an extra 25m. :confused: After winning the CL twice, and the league once, they threw about 45m at me. Have you considered that maybe they just don't like you? :p

Yes, i considered that :D

But, i have won them the FA cup, got into a CL final, and two top 4/finishes, don't really spend their money etc Ok, so by FM standards it's not that good, but in real life they'd give me a contract for life! I managed to get a 60k contract out of them though. The weird thing is, over the off season my job security has gone from very pleased with my management to just satisfied.

But it's ok, they have now given me 34 million to spend. Trying to sign Criscito, but they are no budging, and dont think im gonna pay the 20 mill they are asking! I'll only spend big money if a player is going to enhance the team alot. Got Ben Arfa coming on a Bosman. Good cover.

BTW, Casemiro looks good, he's still 20 and at Parma. Not sure he is much different to Sandro though. And i'm looking for more aggression. Defour would be perfect but Sunderland wont sell and they are doing well.

Isn't it the most annoying thing when you spend a whole summer trying to sign a player, he's very interested in playing for you, requests a transfer, and then signs a new deal at his club? Damn you Criscito!! Another frustrating transfer window. Think i'm just gonna go with what i've got for now, and make a move in january.

Man Utd just offered me the job after Ferge retired a month before the season started! Tempting, but they only finished 5th last season. On the decline!

Modric is consistentley average for me, but has the odd blinder. I play him as a box to box midfielder, due to his stamina and all round ability, and also because i prefer to give the creative role to VdV and also Bale is being let alot looser these days. Modric scored an average rating of 7.02 last season, so not great. I was actually thinking of asking the same question to you guys, how to get the best out of him, because he's going on 27 in my save and needs to be running things by now. He's too good to let go unless someone bids 25mill for him, but as per usual in this game none of the big players get any interest from other clubs.

And DLP is best for Thudd imo. If you kept him

Hi guys, started a spurs saved and I am posting on these forums for the first time

I'm playing 4-4-1-1. I signed Paulo Henrique for 20 mill over 48 months. He will be rotating with VdV as the AM. Fabio Coentrao for 8.5 mill over 48 months, he's my main LB. And I signed Javier Saviola for 15mill also over 48 months. Rotating with defoe. I loaned out Keane and some youngsters. Sold dos Santos for 5 mill.

I was pitted against Sampdoria to get into europe. I won 1-0 away from home and 2-0 at home. Then came the draw, Barca, Shakhtar and FC RB Salzburg.

Only 4 games into the league but I've won all 4. 5-2 vs villa, 2-0 vs stoke, 3-0 vs Birmingham and 3-0 vs Man U.

Next game is against Barca :D

Edit: I joined the forums to look around and never really to post, but this looks such a nice place :D Anyway I can change my name? I have no idea why I'm called this.

Edit: I joined the forums to look around and never really to post, but this looks such a nice place :D Anyway I can change my name? I have no idea why I'm called this.

I think you've got very little chance of getting a name change tbh. If the name is that rubbish for you I'd just re-register ;)

Just won the CL qualify round with a total of 5-1 against dinamo kiev.

My CL poule D

AC Milan

Werder Bremen

Spurs

Litex

This has to be a second place for the Spurs.

Next game; Chelsea, any suggestions how to keep them away? I play 4-2-3-1.

Archived