Wallace v Roberts - the striking legends small to big club North v South face-off

Hi Monkey fans, just a quick up-date as I continue to plough on....

Drew 3-3 the very next match and lost 3-1 away... I was thinking I might have been a tad over confident to start.

Changed to a defensive minded formation to knick a couple of 1-0's and it seemed to really click.

Currently on a 11 game unbeaten run, won ten and drew 1!! (I was winning 3-1 at h/t and saided I was 'pleased' big no-no drew 4-4)

Dunn is now my left winger, but please don't over react he still has 14 goals in 14 games.... although my heart sinks playing him out of position.

I will get some more detail and screenies up later on.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could really do with some more players...if you want to have a crack at getting the Monkeys or Softies promoted, let me know.

The order of play and story so far....

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Paul Wallace - Northern Monkeys / Ten Ton FC

2007/8. bermybhoy - BSN / 7th

2008/9. aaberdeenn - BSS / 1st, promoted!

2009/10. NepentheZ - BSP / 21st, relegated!

2010/11. Gundo/rlipscombe - BSS / 17th

2011/12. bermybhoy - BSS / 2nd, promoted via play-offs!

2012/13. NepentheZ - BSP / 14th

2013/14. PaulHartman71 - BSP / 7th

2014/15. aaberdeenn - BSP / 13th

2015/16 NepentheZ - BSP / 13th

2016/17. Dava - BSP / Season under way

11. PaulHartman71

12. bermybhoy

tbc. GazTheDoood

Honours

BSS Champions: 2008/9 - aaberdeen

Promoted via play-offs from BSS: 2011/12 - bermybhoy

Danny Roberts - Southern Softies / Legends FC

2007/8. Robert_296 - BSS / 1st, promoted!

2008/9. dafuge - BSP / 5th, play off semi-final!

2009/10. elf_30 - BSP / 17th

2010/11. Spc1485 - BSP / 11th

2011/12. Robert_296 - BSP / 17th

2012/13. PoopyPants - BSP / 15th

2013/14. dafuge - BSP / 5th, promoted!

2014/15. Spc1485 - League 2 / 11th

2015/16. Robert_296 - League 2 / 22nd

2016/17. dave safc - League 2 / 6th, play-off semis

2017/18. MikelLUFC - Season under way

12. ridleys

13. dafuge

14. dave safc

Honours

BSS Champions: 2007/8 - Robert_296

FA Trophy: 2008/9 - dafuge

Promoted via play-offs from BSP: 2013/14 - dafuge</pre>

August Update

A very good month for the Legends as they started the campaign brightly. Manager Roberts assesed the squad and decided to make some changes. These are the players he bought in Transfers.

Most of these transfers were youngsters he hoped would develop well, the rest were free players he thought could improve the squad. Roberts was most pleased with a young Swiss keeper he dubbed Mikel LUFC. He stated he thought the youngster showed great potential and could make the number 1 shirt his in years to come. With these additions Roberts was pleased with the overall strength of the squad. His squad assesment is as follows.

Goalkeepers

We are very strong in this area with 3 very good keepers all under the age of 23. Mikel LUFC has a very bright future and should do well. Hardy is mainly back-up but will be used in cup games and incase of injury. Rowe is talented but not quite god enough for 1st team action he will have to prove himself in training.

Defenders

We have a good defense if a little thin on the ground. Armenean is a quality player and is the rock at the back. His partner at centre back is Yeung Chun Wai who is a very capable defender. Holgate provides exclent back-up as does Jones. On the right Peel is a real denger from set peices but can also defend. Yeung can back Peel up incase of injury. On the left Lock is good all round whether the ball is at his feet or an attackers. Rudd supplies the cover here.

Midfielders

The attacking flair here is provided by Rinaldi who is a top class player and his set-peice delivery is sublime. Along side him at attacking midfield is Chris Driver another great player. To stabilixe the midfield we have James Hooper who is excellent at robbing the ball and distributing simply. On the right we have the echnically gifted Sawyer who can cross a mean ball too. On the other wing the raw pace of Jon Williams provides an excllent outlet. There is a lot of good cover here with Prazak on the left, Sifter on the right, the aging O'Brian at DM, Weatherstone is a very promising loooking AM with Iacob able to unlock doors with his creativity but he lack the physical side of the game.

Strikers

With only 1 man being played up-top there is not a huge amount of striking force but what is there is very good. Blackburn has been the top scorer for so many years and is a very cool finisher. My only worry is that he lacks the pace to get away from his man. Howell is a very talented palyer also, his finishing ability is outstanding, again however I worry about his lack of pace. Iacob can also paly upfront. There are also some promising youngsters coming through the ranks.

Now onto the performances. After a very sucessful pre-season the confidence was high and so onto the first game against AFC Telford.

Goals from Blackburn, Rinaldi and Peel meant a 3-1 victory.

Next up was a game against Exeter of League 1 in the League Cup 1st round. Roberts fielded a second string side for this one, how did he do?

After 14 minutes the Legends were 1-0 up. Howell robbing the keeper to slide into an empty net. Howell doubled his tally on the stroke of half-time to make it 2-0. A header from Peel from a Rinaldi free-kick made it 3-0. Exeter pulled it back to 3-1 but 2 minutes later Williams drove it home to make it 4-1. A late Exeter goal wasn't enough to spoil the fans jubilent mood.

Nxt up was York and the formation York played showed they were looking for a 0-0 draw. It stayed 0-0 up until the 79th minute whe Williams fired home beautifully from 30 yeard. (it won him Goal Of the Month)

Then a trip to the Deva Stadium to play Chester. A boring game was lit up in the 74th minute with a Darren Lock free-kick which flew in off the post. 1-0 it stayed.

The final game of the month would be the League cup 2bd round tie against...Newcastle. Roberts stuck to his guns and played a weakened side again. This was the result.

A fantastic game a solitary Howell goal won it for Legends FC!! Newcastle were all over them but couldn't get the ball into Hardy's net. What a performance!

So a brilliant month means that Legends FC are thorugh into the league cup 3rd round and sit top of the league.

I'm chuffed with how it's going so far and I hope I can keep it going. Some news for you. Roberts wins Manager of the month and is rewarded with a new 2-year contract. Blackburn and Armenean sigh new 3-year deals. Subsequently I'm over wage budget but the 100k we got as a sell on clause from the sale of Hunter helped things slightly.

Well I hope you enjoyed the update.

Next time - September update. Could the good start continue?

i'll have another crack at it again at sometime bermy... for the mOnkeys that is. although i haven't posted too much i have been reading.

keep up the good work everyone icon14.gif (except you southerners. hope you fall from grace soon. icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif )

September update

After the great start the team had things looked good, however Septtember would not be a great month for the Legends. Let's see how the monthe went.

League 2 vs. Lincoln (A)

The game started brilliantly for the Legends as they were 2 up after 26 minutes. Peel and Sawyer with the goals. However Lincoln pulled it level before half time. The words of encouragement were not enough as an 84th minute goal meant the Legends had lost their 1st game of the season.

JPT South 1st Round vs. Billericay (A)

Howell gave the legends a dream start as they were 1-0 up after 2 mins and it stayed that way until a 20yard freekick sailed in on the 43rd minute to make 1-1. Then the legends went down the other end and did the same thing, Prazak curling his freekick home. Billericay made it 2-2 on the 78th minute but the Legends snatched victory with an 84th minute Prazak penalty.

League 2 vs. Stockport (H)

Another early goal and again it was Howell who got it, this time in the 5th minute. Tony Barrett scored for Stockport to which the reply was a lovely free-kick from Rinaldi. Moore scored for Stockport then Barrett scored his second to make it 2-3. Lock then smashed home another free-kick to make it 3-3 and that was the scoreline until the end.

League 2 vs. Hartlepool (A)

Yet ANOTHER early goal from Howell made it 1-0 in the 3rd minute. But then a Montgomerie goal and a late Whittaker strike sunk the Legends and they lost 2-1.

Roberts was unhappy with the reliance on early goals and set-peices so he changed formation, axing Chris Driver and moving a second player upfront. The highly rated Blackburn joining Howell up-top.

League 2 vs. Dorchester (H)

So a new formtion to test out and top of the table Dorchester were the visitors. A 9th minute Yeung Wai header set them on their way and 1-0 was how it stayed. Until the 71st minute when Blackburn pounched on a poor parry to net his 150th league goal for the club. Williams used his pace to race away from the defense before smashing it home to make it 3-0. Blackburn then scored his 2nd with a good finish. 4-0 the final score.

League Cup 3rd Round vs. Birmingham (H)

Roberts stuck with the same line-up that demolished Dorchester but the match was an uphill struggle from the 11th minute onwards where Mikel LUFC cleared poorly straight to the feet of the Birmigham striker Collins who slotted the ball into the empty net. The Legends held onto the 1-0 deficit until the 56th minute when Yeung Wai was adjudged to have obstructed a Birmingham player and Alcàzar duly converted the penalty. Birmingham then sat back and the Legends couldn't find a way to goal. 2-0 it stayed.

So an indifferent month for the Legends but hopefully the new formation will start producing results. This is how the table looks. It's not all bad news, if the 2 games in hand are won then the Legends could be in an automativc promotion place.

Next Update - October - Will the new formation come good?

Originally posted by MikelLUFC:

Sorry about the typo's in the last 2 updates is there a way to spell check the post?

I'm probably not the best person to answer since my typing is appalling, however, the best bet is probably to type it out in Word or something first. That way you also save yourself the frustration you will inevitablly experience at some point of losing everything you've typed in a lengthy post.

If it's anything major you can also request dafuge to change it.

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

I'd prefer to go 13th if that's okay adjusting the list to;

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">PaulHartman71 - 11th

rlipscombe - 12th

aaberdeenn - 13th

bermybhoy - 14th</pre>

.. if that's okay?

Unlucky for some. Fine by me.

Originally posted by bermybhoy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MikelLUFC:

Sorry about the typo's in the last 2 updates is there a way to spell check the post?

I'm probably not the best person to answer since my typing is appalling, however, the best bet is probably to type it out in Word or something first. That way you also save yourself the frustration you will inevitablly experience at some point of losing everything you've typed in a lengthy post.

If it's anything major you can also request dafuge to change it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok I might try that next time.

Also if any of the previous managers of Legends FC want to see any SS's of players they bought in don't be afraid to ask.

Quick up-date

My photobucket account is locked, so I can't give any screenies but I will when i'm back in.

I have managed to get 3 loan signings, although a star centre half will not extend to the rest of the season. Got my left winger and a great attacking mid both from leicester. Both have been excellent definitely in top 5 preformers.

Smith signed a new contract.. finally, as his contract was up at the end of the season I began to wonder.

Cook will not sign, although his stats are great his form is not and never has been looking at his history but he has another year after mine to re-consider.

Promptly moved Dunn up-front who has struggled.... only 7 in the last twenty.

I hit a sticky patch just before christmas (as soon as my unbeaten run came to an end) lost 3 and drew 2 at this time. Got knocked out the FA cup second round too.

I am currently 32 games in Pld 32 Won 21 Drew 6 Lost 5 Pts 69.

I am topping the table by 7 points!

Still in the FA Trophy and Sentanta Shield.

All in all the starting 11 is definitely worth it's position but the back-up is fairly poor. I am really happy with the season so far and pretty confident of promotion. The bank balance is also £1m which will be great if (touch wood) we get promoted and a better standard of player are available top buy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

I'd prefer to go 13th if that's okay adjusting the list to;

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">PaulHartman71 - 11th

rlipscombe - 12th

aaberdeenn - 13th

bermybhoy - 14th</pre>

.. if that's okay?

Unlucky for some. Fine by me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

don't know if Zog wants to go before me as i might not be able to do my stint for a few weeks or so....

Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

So, are you going to be taking part?(

and me to the list please if its still open for sign up, cant do this week as its a rough week at work. i have next week off, although im guessing you have like 2 people in advance.

I thought you said 'I promptly moved Dunn Up-front',surely he should of been playing there anyway

I was forced to play him left wing, he still got 14 in 14 from there and when I signed my loanee he was moved to his best position!

Although he did play better at left wing? odd..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thezogsageordie:

Still need a Monkeys manager?

Always...will add you to the list. Nice one.

Oh, we do need the magic word though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, mate, didn't mean to sound pompus(sp?).

Please may I, Sam Fuller, be added to the waiting list to become the new Monkeys manager and lead them to Promotion?

Turn it up to 11, same applies (I trust you'll actually look back though). Which side? Softies now look in more need for someone. It's likely to be a few weeks before your turn rolls round, btw, tends to take people about a week to finish a season.

That's pretty funny. Nice to see you were tought some manners though icon_wink.gif

Of course. Will add you to the list. Think we're good for the next few seasons on both sides now.

Always have had manners chum!

Yeah, I realise that I won't be playing straight away.

Hi guys, just to let you know I have finished the season but won't have time to upload and give a end of season summary till tomorrow evening. I loved every minute of it but my girlfriend didn't....I guess i'm just that ignorant and selfish, oh well

Originally posted by Robert_296:

I'm not down for another season? Put me on the list if I'm not please icon_smile.gif

Will do buddy. Need to get round to updating the list as there's been a few new additions since last time.

Still need confirmation from TIUT11 as to what side he wants.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert_296:

I'm not down for another season? Put me on the list if I'm not please icon_smile.gif

Will do buddy. Need to get round to updating the list as there's been a few new additions since last time.

Still need confirmation from TIUT11 as to what side he wants. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As always, put people who haven't had a go yet above me. I think new people should always get priority over people who have managed them before.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Paul Wallace - Northern Monkeys / Ten Ton FC

2016/17. Dava - BSP / Season under way

11th PaulHartman71

12th rlipscombe

13th aaberdeenn

14th bermybhoy

15th thezogsageordie

16th turnitupto11?

Danny Roberts - Southern Softies / Legends FC

2017/18. MikelLUFC - Season under way

12. ridleys

13. dafuge

14. dave safc

15. turnitupto11?

16. Robert_296

</pre>

That's just the list, I believe, obviously might need to be changed but those are all the players that are interested in managing each club, respectfully.

Season Summary

On the 28th of December I ended my sticky run, which leads to an unbelievable 18 game unbeaten run. Involving some very strange games, I was winning games I should have been losing and if I remember rightly in one particular game a team missed 3 penalties and I won 2-0. Lucky manager I guess!

The difference in class was apparent, the team was rampant, full of confidence and missed chances were few and far between. Dunn began firing again and Harris was finding his feet.. fast. Before I knew it a really tight league left a huge 7 point gap (with a game in hand) in my favour at the top of the pile.

The cups were massive confidence builders too.

Wrexham ended my unbeaten run in the first leg of the FA Trophy Semi-Finals, they actually scored directly from a corner, which was amazing to watch on highlights.

FAT Semi 1

The very next game was the Sentanta Shield Semi - Final against Gillingham.

SS Semi

And the game after was the home leg of the FA Trophy.

FAT Semi 2

Fantastic results, almost all shots were converted into goals. This boost set me up perfectly, I went on to win my next 4 league games and tied up the league with 7 games to play.

End of Season Table

Sentanta Shield Final

SS Final

Great result, although looked close we always had the game by the scruff of the neck.

FA Trophy Final

FAT Final

Hammered them!

After this game the board promptly offered me a 4 year contract at £475 p/wk. Which I accepted, obviously!

Player Summary

Dunn – really hit form when put up top, not quite a goal a game but he’s got the best ratio for any player I have managed.

Dunn

Nep – What a player! Makes the whole midfield tick, gets very important goals and takes a mean corner.

Nep

Harris – My only signing of any real quality, may need replacing for the step up but he was always consistent and is only young..

Harris

Smith - Forgot to take a screenie, but what a player! probable the best central defender/midfielder outside the premiership, he scored 4 hatricks when playing in midfield and tons from corners, he was a class apart.

Davidson – great loan signing, made a massive difference to get over my sticky patch in early December and gave me the chance to play Dunn up-front!

Loan 1

John – Again another great loan signing (probable the best) his difference was instant with 4 goals in his first two games.

Loan 2

Without the two loan signings I do not think it would have been sooo successful, I owe a lot to Leicester!

All in all good foundation for next year, and I may have signed a quality Midfielder for £1k!(he was listed)

New signing

The realisation of having to play a counter attacking away formation and a good attacking home formation is what tipped it for me. Away games we won because I have quality forward players and although I might have got hammered on stats the break aways we got were converted. At home I played looser and looser and it worked, but I always changed defensive after 55 min mark because I am always wary of the super AI comebacks, which happened in 4 games when I didn't chnage things (all 4-4's).

A healthy 1.3m in the bank too!

I really enjoyed the season, as you can tell because I only get home from work at half six and I am in bed by 12!! I haven’t put it down… and my girlfriend ain’t happy!

I am definitely up for another turn…PLEASE

The save game is currently uploading.

Archived