Senegal's Arsenal thread 2005/6 - A redcurranty farewell to the Home of Footballâ„¢

wycombe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razzler:

You're not playing Sunderland until Monday ... you reckon Henry will start that one ? Plenty of rest, should play City and Wigan (gotta play the final league game at Highbury !) ... still has 10 days before the CL Final ! Lazy git ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It will be interesting to see what weng does. Looking at henry yesterday he looked exhausted by the 60, 70 min mark he was actually on the floor. Its time to unleash the Walcott imo.

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

i think you just have to go for the champions league now, although if tottenham lose or draw with bolton i think wenger should have a real go at 4th but if they win he should think about the champions league </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we'll draw with Bolton and lose to West Ham. Thats leaves you, what, 5 points behind? And with your easy run in, you can overtake us

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SarfLondonSpur:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

i think you just have to go for the champions league now, although if tottenham lose or draw with bolton i think wenger should have a real go at 4th but if they win he should think about the champions league </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we'll draw with Bolton and lose to West Ham. Thats leaves you, what, 5 points behind? And with your easy run in, you can overtake us </div></BLOCKQUOTE> the hammers wont play anything close to a full team with the cup final on their mind, Bolton is our only hope and since you play them before we play a single match we will have a good idea.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SarfLondonSpur:

i think you just have to go for the champions league now, although if tottenham lose or draw with bolton i think wenger should have a real go at 4th but if they win he should think about the champions league </div></BLOCKQUOTE>most of the players well have had a good rest by monday, I dont think wenger should only rest one player in each game at most. The wingers it doesnt really matter we have good cover there.

we'll draw with Bolton and lose to West Ham. Thats leaves you, what, 5 points behind? And with your easy run in, you can overtake us </div></BLOCKQUOTE> the hammers wont play anything close to a full team with the cup final on their mind, Bolton is our only hope and since you play them before we play a single match we will have a good idea. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i have been looking for the lehman save video but i can't find it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not his penalty save but still an immense save.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

*Winces* Come on Bolton! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah pains me to say it too, but would be great if they took something.

Is there any news on Flamini, was gutted for him that after doing such a good job over the past few months he had to come off so early icon_frown.gif

Congrats to Thierry

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Thierry Henry has been named Footballer of the Year for a record third time by the Football Writers' Association.

Henry, 28, is the first player in 59 years of the FWA award to receive the accolade three times.

This season Henry has broken the club's all-time goalscoring record and led Arsenal to their first European Cup final against Barcelona in Paris.

The striker won the FWA award in 2003 and 2004, with last year's honour going to Frank Lampard.

The Arsenal captain will receive his latest award at the FWA dinner at the Royal Lancaster Hotel, in London, on Thursday 11 May.

Chelsea's John Terry came second, Manchester United's Wayne Rooney third and Liverpool's Steven Gerrard fourth in the votes cast by the country's football writers.

Sir Stanley Matthews, Kenny Dalglish, John Barnes and Gary Lineker all won the FWA award twice.

FWA chairman Paul Hetherington said: "Henry is a deserving winner in a season when there have been several outstanding candidates, such as Terry, Rooney and Gerrard.

"Henry's achievement ranks him up there as the greatest player in the 59-year history of the award."

Gerrard was named the players' Player of the Year and collected his award on Sunday.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Henry still awesome - good to see the writers doing their best to get him to stay. icon14.gif

if spurs win on sunday i would rest a few against sunderland tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If Spurs win on Sunday then you need 2 wins out of 2 more than ever to at least take it to the last day. You will turn Wigan over and Hammers will have one eye on FA Cup but will also be "playing for places" so anything can happen !

Plenty of time before that - can play strong line-ups until then tbh. I would take Toure out and play Sol and Djorou in the middle and rest Hleb & Ljungberg or something. Give Henry 60 mins+ in one game and 90 in the other this week ... full side vs Wigan and then still 10 days ! icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razzler:

Plenty of time before that - can play strong line-ups until then tbh. I would take Toure out and play Sol and Djorou in the middle and rest Hleb & Ljungberg or something. Give Henry 60 mins+ in one game and 90 in the other this week ... full side vs Wigan and then still 10 days ! icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Henry is blatantly being rested against Sunderland. Im still pretty desperate for fourth tbh. Hate the idea of finishing behind spurs icon_frown.gif.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

I'd imagine so. He looked shagged out against Villarreal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably too much shouting at Reyes over the past few weeks. Would knacker anyone out the amount he does it. icon_biggrin.gif

At least start him, and take him off after 60 minutes. That way he is sure of a full warm up, less , likely to pull a muscle etc and more importantly the rest of the team will play and it wont be up to him to come on and single handedly change things.

• SI Staff

Carlos Vela interview

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

The burgeoning career of Mexico striker Carlos Vela took on an exciting new dimension following the final of the FIFA U-17 World Championship in Peru last year. When he left the family home in Cancun to join up with the national team, little did he know he and his teammates would end up grabbing headlines around the world by crushing the mighty Brazil 3-0 in the final.

"Nothing compares to defeating Brazil in the final, as they're always the favourites, the team to beat," says the young sharpshooter, who opened the scoring on that unforgettable night in Lima. "It was like a dream. We wanted to do well but the aim was to take it game by game. We didn't expect to win, but we really enjoyed it, I can tell you."

As well as taking home a winner's medal, Vela also pocketed the adidas Golden Boot after finishing as the tournament's top scorer. His outstanding performances caught the eye of more than one talent scout, but it was English Premier League side Arsenal who won the race for his signature. After learning his trade at Chivas Guadalajara, where his older brother still plays, Carlos decided to pack his bags and head for pastures new, signing a five-year deal with the Gunners. However, due to Premier League age restrictions, he will not be able to make his debut in England until 2007.

In the meantime, the London club have opted to loan the young Mexican to Celta Vigo, where he has thus far endured yet more frustration, left unable to make his debut as the Spanish league side have a full quota of overseas players. That situation looks set to change next season, however. "I'm very pleased to have taken this step after winning the World Championship," he told FIFA.com. "I never thought I'd be with a European team, in the Spanish league at the age of 16. It's what all players dream of, and I'm training and looking forward to playing soon.

"Arsenal have given me a terrific opportunity and I'm working hard, trying to make sure I do things right," he adds. "I can't afford to rest on my laurels and have to keep improving. Hopefully it won't be long before I can start scoring goals for my team."

Vela, who spends his days training in the morning and going to school in the afternoon, is now settled in Spain having been joined by his parents and one of his brothers. "My older brother is with Chivas and couldn't come, but I hope he'll be able to fly over some time," he sighs.

The possibility of his family coming over to provide a little stability in his life convinced him to make the journey across the Atlantic. "The fact that my parents could come here and work so we could all be together was a big factor. The standard of football is also higher here (than in Mexico), and you've got to keep trying to improve."

A great admirer of Ronaldo and a keen Real Madrid fan, Vela considered the opportunity to enjoy a Spanish sojourn too good to miss. "It's great to have the opportunity to play in Spain because it's one of the best leagues in the world," he said. "I like the way they play here because they let you express yourself more. It's not as tough as the English game."

Vela's sole aim is to show what he can do on the pitch, regardless of whether it is with Celta or Arsenal. "(Spain and England) are two of the world's top leagues, and I'll take whatever opportunity comes up, as long as it's a good one," he says with a smile.

"It's tough to train all week and then stay at home on Sundays. It's tough because all you want to do is play. I've had to get used to the idea since I came here, though, and all I'm thinking about now is next season."

The upwardly-mobile striker, a mainstay of Mexico's U-17 side along with the supremely gifted Giovanni Dos Santos - now with Spanish giants Barcelona - certainly talks a good game.

He is also delighted with the progress Celta have made this season. The Galicians, who contested the UEFA Champions League two years ago and were promptly relegated the following season, bounced straight back to the top-flight last season and are in with an excellent chance of returning to European football next season.

"The team has bags of potential and a lot of young players," says an optimistic Vela, clearly delighted with the campaign being put together by one of Spain's less fashionable clubs. "It's growing stronger all the time. I'm sure Celta will qualify for Europe because the team deserves it. What's more, if I get the chance to play next season, I'll be doing so at the very top: in the Spanish league and in Europe."

Few doubt that Vela has necessary qualities to convince Celta coach Fernando Vazquez to hand him the debut he yearns for. With hard work and a little luck, the lethal finisher who lit up Peru with his skills last year will doubtless be doing the same before long on European shores.

link

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cole has been included in the squad for the Sunderland game too icon14.gif

• SI Staff

Yeah, that's what we've done. He can't get a work permit here yet and so we've loaned him out to Celta for a few years so that he can get a Spanish passport and so not need a work permit to play for us anymore. Liverpool and Man Utd have done it with a few players too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Arsenal will be without four of their heroes from Villarreal for the game at Sunderland on Monday afternoon.

Alex Hleb (knee) is doubtful while Gilberto (ankle) and Mathieu Flamini (hamstring) are definitely out. Jose Antonio Reyes will also be missing after having his wisdom teeth out. On the upside, Ashley Cole is likely to be included in the first team squad for only the second time since October 2.

All the newly injured players could be fit for Thursday’s trip to Manchester City. However Philippe Senderos, who injured his knee against Tottenham last Saturday, is expected to be missing for three weeks. Theo Walcott suffered a knee injury himself in the Reserves on Thursday night and will not be involved at the Stadium of Light.

“We have a few injuries,†said Wenger at Friday’s pre-match press conference. “Alexander Hleb is doubtful for Monday, he has a little knee problem. Gilberto will be out certainly with an ankle problem.

“We have Flamini (hamstring), Senderos (knee) and Reyes, with the extraction of his wisdom teeth. But they could be back on Thursday.

“Theo Walcott got injured in the Reserves last night and came off after 10 minutes, but we think it will be a question of days rather than weeks.â€

Cole played another 90 minutes in that 3-1 victory at West Ham. Having not had a recognised left back for six months, Wenger now has two. Gael Clichy came on for the injured Flamini at El Madrigal on Tuesday.

“Ashley played last night and came through well," said Wenger. "He had no problem today, and will be available for Monday.

“At the back I do not think there will be lot to change, maybe Ashley can come in I do not know yet but Clichy has done well. Sol Campbell will play at centre back though.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Theo icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cesc Fabregas the Phenom:

Heh, not a chance. Someone will stump up the £16m fee. I can't really see him publicly come out and say he's leaving Arsenal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Real Madrid thing is looking less likely, they wont pay 16 million for him (still in huge debt) and they are not going to spend a large amount of there rebuilding money on a lb, I doubt Arsenal will sell him for less and will cole really want to go to a team like that?. Chelsea are really the only realistic buyers and I can imagin them going in for him, its all about if ashley really wants to go there.

Barca seem awfully confident that Henry is in the bag, however my Sources icon_cool.gif tell me that he has not made his mind up and his agent is just doing his job by making barca think they have him.

Archived