FM11 - Leeds United FC Thread - "We're not famous any more!"

Coen

sounds to me coen that you have a very good chance of staying up with you beating all the rivals for relegation

Since my last post I have drawn 2 games, Leicester at home 3-3 great game which we dominated but the defence had a shocker, had to wait from the 46th minute been 3-2 down (from a adam hammill scorcher similar to the 1 he scored in real life the other week but for barnsley), via them going down to 10 till the 88th minute for howson's goal of the month equaliser, unlucky not to win

then drew 1-1 away at coventry again in a match we dominated - 1-0 up and then jutkiewicz scored a belter from 25 yards through kyle walker to equalise and for some reason the game petered out and nowt else happened apart from maresca hitting the bar from an awesome volley 20 yards out, good football to watch though :)

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still no win in 9 games for me! Sat rock bottom with 3 points. Howson has missed 3 penalties in the 3 draws I had too!

Changed now to a more attacking formation having only scored 4 league goals.

I must surely have the label of Leeds' worst ever manager! :(

Ended up going with Felipe Seymour wiithout the luxury of a scout report but he looks good if not maybe a little pricey at 1.7M, mentally and physically he's very good just technically where he falls down a touch,

I left enough money to try and find a proven Striker but just couldn't find one in the end so opted to sign Wickham for 500K upfront and 1.8M over time Kid looks like he could be very good also has some nice PMs.

Snodgrass has picked an injury that will keep him out for 3-6 weeks, I brought in Jose Baxter on loan to cover the right inside forward role... He scored a brace on Debut :-)

Sweet! Got my save going now as well, and I'm loving this game so far. Except from the penalties though. Will I always miss them??

Anyway, when it comes to transfers, these are the inbound ones:

Finnan

Ball

Nordtveit (loan)

Kakuta (loan)

Jeffrey Bruma (loan)

Aliadiere

As well as a few scouts of course, because my first season is always spent scouring the market for future targets.

I've let quite a few players leave, so I don't have a lot of strikers. Made me go for a 4-4-1-1 formation, which works pretty damn good actually. Alternating between that and 4-1-2-1-2 with McCormack and Aliadere up front. Usually I just put Aliadiere alone up front with either Kakuta og Nunez behind him. Works a lot better.

Currently 11 into the season and I'm undefeated. Only 3 wins though, so I'm not that happy with the results other than having conceded the least in the league.

Favored line-up:

Schmeichel

Finnan - Nordtveit - Bruma - Ball

Howson - Kilkenny - Faye - Snodgrass

Kakuta

Aliadiere

I'll recommend that back four to anyone.

Had a 6 week period were Snoddy and Carney were both out really affected my results, but both are back now, have loan in Victor Anichabe for cover and to see if he worth a free transfer he scored on his first start playing Snoddys roll and will better suited thought the middle,

Sitting fourth currently with 8 games to go no chance of getting auto and there only 3 points separating 3rd through 9th.

BTW, Mojo, if you still need a good DM I'd sign Nordtveit on loan. He's doing a really good job for me when Faye isn't playing. When Faye plays I have Nordtveit as a CM.

Cheers mate,

I've finished 3rd... playoffs await! but Walker and Woods Loan Deals End, season long my arse!

Well I got to January in my first season in the Prem and am still in 15th, 6 points clear of the relegation spots so looking good.

My starting 11 is:

GK - Schmeichel

DR - Lee Hodson, (£2.5m signing from Watford)

DC - Leandro Gioda

DC - Phil Jones (£9m signing from Blackburn, has the potential to be better than Gioda - highly recommended)

DL - Franck Signorino (could do with a new DL really)

MR - Snodgrass

MC - Herold Goulon

MC - 19 year old Brazilian regen

ML - Tom Cairney

ST - Mohammed Abdellaoue

ST - Torstein Andersen Aase

I have a bit of money to spend in the January transfer window and could probably do with offloading some of the younger players I've bought that I don't think are going to make it in the Premier League, so will probably see if I can find a DL and maybe a really good defensive CM.

Plus I'll probably do my usual trick of signing just about every youngster that my scouts reckon will be at least a "quality" player and is available for less than £750k, just to see if any turn out to be really good. ;)

1st leg Away at Burnley, a loss, 2-1 they scored from a free-kick & a corner, nice goal from Snodgrass very similar tot he one he scored at the weekend, still in with a chance.

Swansea managed to come back from a 3-1 loss in their first leg to beat Boro 3-0 (4-3)

Took it to penalties,

They won 5-4,

Shattered!

Am Signing a young Danish lad called Lasse Vigen (16yr) looks like he could get quite good, low stamina seem to be his only major down point, also Signing Jack Robinson from Liverpool for 10k, has a nice set of base stats and can get to 4 stars

Board have demanded promotion, but have given me 4.5mil to strengthen.

eland road boo boys

using the 4-4-2 simiplicty tactic and im 4thin the league...dont seem to take my chances often enough though and splipping to a few defeats now..was 2nd at one point..im just using the attacking version of the tactic.. When is the best time to use the defending one..against harder teams?

eland road boo boys

using the 4-4-2 simiplicty tactic and im 4thin the league...dont seem to take my chances often enough though and splipping to a few defeats now..was 2nd at one point..im just using the attacking version of the tactic.. When is the best time to use the defending one..against harder teams?

Depqends on what Scout says really. If he says X team play an attacking formation then use defensive with Counter.

HTH :thup:

Hello

Just made it to the January transfer window in my 2nd season in charge of Leeds and i am smashing the league and sailing to my aim of promotion...

Here is how the league is going:

npowerchampionshipinfor.png

Here is how my players are doing, with special point to Victor Anichebe

leedsunitedleedsplayers.png

Updates coming at the end of the season

p.s. how is everyones attendance? I am having an average of 26k in my second season with a 68% of the capacity is it just normal for the championship or?

Nice one Thorovic, looks like a very good 2nd season in the Championship there. :thup:

On attendances, checking on my game I averaged 29,019 for my 2nd season in the Championship, slightly up on 28,489 in the previous season. Now up to around 33k in the Premier League which is a bit dissapointing but probably not surprising given we've been hovering around 15th in the table all season. :D

Finally got a decent balance, unbeaten so far, 3 draws, 3 wins, transformed the team with some Championship quality, playing a 4-4-1-1, my best 11 is:

-----------------Kasper

Walker--Gonclaves--Spence--Bessone

Hammill--Faye-------Wellens--Snoddy

----------------Nunez

--------------Earnshaw

Earnshaw was a bargain at 625k, wages are huge, but he's worth it, thats for sure

Pre-Season Coups (Hopefully anyway)

14kw8wi.jpg

1z1ebuo.jpg

1.5 plus 5 Million over 48 is alot for Belhadj but he's comfortably the best player willing to join my club and i had the funds available.

Add that to Clyne, Gioda Guarch and the loan signings of Livermore, Forrest and Delph I'm hopeful of gaining the boards goal of promotion, I've had an indifferent start though, and looks like Wigan will run away with the league already.

where can i get the Crouchaldinos Simplicity tactics from i have looked all over the forum and cant seem to find them anywhere

Not sure on that tactic but I use my own standard 4-4-2 which basically consists of:

All team settings on default apart from the overall team strategy - which I usually have as "attacking" at home and "counter" or "control" away.

Player settings as:

GK - defend

RB - fullback - automatic

RCB - defender - defend

LCB - defender - defend

LB - fullback - automatic

MR - winger - attack

MRC - center mid - support

MLC - ball winning mid - defend

ML - winger - support

FRC - poacher - attack

FLC - deep lying forward - support

The only other change on this I currently use is to have Snodgrass as an AMR (inside forward) rather than a MR.

So far on FM11 I'm finding this works well at home (set on "attacking") but I'm finding it doesn't work too well for away games, but nothing I've tried so far really seems to work consistently for away games. For away games I try to base the overall team setting on how the opposition play - i.e. go "counter" if I expect them to attack, and "control" if I expect them to play on the counter.

sweet played Bristol City in the next game, after 14 minutes Howson decided he was gunna do a two footed tackle on Clarkson and got sent off, off came torassa and on came mingazinni with maresca moving to the BTB mid position, defence stood firm until the 67th minute when Elliott struck, I then moved both dodo and coelho to wingback attack and BTB to Advanced playmaker attack, and for some reason then we was all over them, we got a corner on 76 minutes and mingazinni slid in at the near post to equalise, I thought sod it, lets go for the juguler and left the tactics as they were, still all over them and we got a free kick, crossed in by coelho and Garcia was at hand at the far post to power a header into the top corner, we then held on for a great win despite having 10 men for most of the game!

After looking at so many players and getting turned down or having work permits fail I was able to get a few good signings

Diego Souza from Minero in Brazil. They agreed to part with him for 4.5 Million pounds. He does get a work permit after the 2nd try. I play him as an Attacking mid in my 4-2-3-1. He does ask for high wages 45K p/w but he accepted 18k p/w

My Scouts recommend a young Dutch Striker/AM by the name of Luuk De Jong. I entered negotiations with FC Twente and after a bit of haggling they let him go for 6.5 Million pounds plus 30 percent of the next sale. He has decent stats and my scouts have said he should improve quite a bit.

My next signing of the season was brought to me by his agent. Alessandro Diamati a Striker/AM from Brescia. He was in there reserve squad and was unhappy. They were asking 6 Million pounds so I offered 4 and they came back with 5.3 so I accepted. He has tremendous Technical and Mental stats

I had around 6 million pounds left to play with and I thought I would look at some young recommendations by my scouts.

First up was Adam Matthews from Cardiff. A Defender who can play either the right or left side. At just 19 he was young but highly recommended. My scouts feel he would become a good premier league player in the future. I snapped him up for 1.2 million pounds.

Next up was from Eastern European scout who thought he had a gem in Defender Left/Center Vasyl Pryima from Metalurg D. He was very happy to join and I got him at the bargin price of 900K. After failing the first work permit he got it on appeal. Both my scouts and coaches agree he will become a good premier league player.

We start the season with the following lineup up

Schmeichel

Pryima Toloi DeMerit Corchia

De Guzman Merasca

Diamatti Souza Cairney

De Jong

Bench

Griffiths

Butland

Matthews

Clyne

Fredson

Iturbe

Galvan

Bertolacci

Some things to note after 7 games we are 3 wins 1 Draw and 3 losses. All 3 losses to Liverpool,Man U and Chelsea away. Our draw was away to Arsenal. Home wins against Wolves,Nott Forest and Blackpool. Team plays really strong at home out shooting teams by quite a bit and having almost 60 percent possession. The away losses to the top teams were close 2 of the games we were up 2-0 at half only to see Liverpool have Gerrad and Torres score 2 goals a piece and at Man U having Berbatov come off the bench and pot 3 in 10 minutes. Chelsea scored 4 first half goals, we got 2 in the second half but in truth it was a poor performance.

Toloi is a wonderkid and Cairney should be with his stats now. Schmeichel got his first cap as well as De Jong.

one of the best things you can try and do is try your best to give your players a morale boost, on the match screen i always look at motivation, thats what dictates my teamtalks

You know what, nothing I do is going to change this run. it's like the game is running in automatic mode. I will just try and keep doing the right things I guess and hope my luck changes. Roll on Jan, I can buy a player of 10 then!

I'm losing count of the number of times i concede in the first 27seconds.

if it says playing ok then i always say i have faith, and if they're playing bad id sub them if poss if not then again with faith, tbh ive never had a whole team of very low morale so i dont know what else to suggest except of course a player or 10, whats your squad at the mo? and what formation?

if it says playing ok then i always say i have faith, and if they're playing bad id sub them if poss if not then again with faith, tbh ive never had a whole team of very low morale so i dont know what else to suggest except of course a player or 10, whats your squad at the mo? and what formation?

I try and chose a formation to suit whoever I am playing (like I always do in FM), however, due to the low morale, northing is having an effect. There is literally nothing I can do until the transfer widow opens. I am just having a moan really, ignore me :)

Stupid game. I win my first game after 15 games against the TOP OF THE LEAGUE AWAY 1-0! So my next game I play second from bottom at home and LOSE 5-1!!

Seriously WTF?

I try and chose a formation to suit whoever I am playing (like I always do in FM), however, due to the low morale, northing is having an effect. There is literally nothing I can do until the transfer widow opens. I am just having a moan really, ignore me :)

Stupid game. I win my first game after 15 games against the TOP OF THE LEAGUE AWAY 1-0! So my next game I play second from bottom at home and LOSE 5-1!!

Seriously WTF?

It is really annoying that once morale gets bad it's almost impossible to turn it around, I remember on FM10 I used to try to arrange mid-season friendlies against really crap teams when morale was bad to try to give it a boost.

I also think that if you're changing formation a lot it will mess up the team, with the "match preparation" thing now you can only really have 3 formations that players can get used to, I've found I generally stick to 2 (for home and away).

Finally got my Leeds game started on 11.1

Ins:

A Yakubu (Free)

De Merritt (Free)

Goncalvas (Free)

Tamir Cohen (£1.6m over 48 months)

Dabo (Free)

Mingazzini (Free)

Kantelberg (Free)

G Franco (free)

Seamus Coleman (Loan)

Jordi Gomez (Loan)

Outs:

Kilkenny (600k)

Johnson (325k)

Grella (210k)

White (£1.5m)

Currently have - Naylor, Collins, Connolly, Hughes, Bromby, Faye, Somma, Gradel, Robinson & Sam all on the transfer list but nobody showing an interest

Currently playing a 4-3-1-2 formation. Only injuries I have are Snodgrass, Becchio & Paynter

Only played the one game and I beat QPR 4-0 at Home. Franco (2), McCormack & Gomez.

I played an attacking formation at home with Dabo the holding midfielder with Cohen & Howson either side set to attacking. Played Gomez behind the front two as an advanced playmaker since he has creativity of 16. He ran the game. I played Franco & McCormack both as complete forwards. It should have been a lot more than 4-0 to be honest.

I think I will use this tactic away from home but with a few tweaks. Probably have my full backs set to defend as opposed to automiatic & have Howson & Cohen set to support instead of attack. May also use the 'control' team setting instead of attacking.

Mid Season January 2011 - Championship Campaign

After a few months of grinding out results, the team gelled from November onwards and we began playing good football. By mid - January Leeds are joint top with Forest and we're 2-1 up against City after the first leg of the League Cup Semi - Final. In terms of the players I tipped earlier, Armani, Milano and Coates top the Championship player ratings respectively for goals, assists and tackles made. I'd highly recommend them.

It continues to be realisticly tough to shift players, but I did move on Nunez and Mahoto for good money. The better players I signed on free transfers for July 2011 are:

Leandro Gioda.

Luis Jimenez.

Cristian Fabbiani.

There are a host of other good players out of contract in the Summer, but they won't come just yet. I'll tip them when/if they do.

January transfer activity was limited, but I did sign:

Jack Butland, 17 yo GK. Scout him and you'll see why.

Kily Gonzalez, 36 ML/C. Mingazzini got injured for 3 months and I need an old head to support Pacheco & Kevin in central midfield. Kily's stats are still good, but due to his age it's a short term transfer to support the Premiership push.

EDIT.

Towards the end of January Chelsea enquired about Gai Assulin. Valued at £1.5M, I quoted them £2.5M; they offered it and I bit their hand off. Assulin's a good player, but he wasn't in the first team and it's a lot of money early in the game.

With the tranfer kitty bolstered I targeted Diego Renan who looks quality again this year. I agreed terms with him, but despite negotiating I couldn't get close to his agents fee (£950K).

Meanwhile, we shut out City in the 2nd leg and the 0-0 draw took us through 2-1 on aggregate. We'll play Wolves in the League Cup Final and we'll never have a better chance to win it.

Good luck in the League Cup final Nicko!

Well I'm just starting my 2nd season in the Premier League, in the end we managed to finish 11th in my first season in the Premier League which is way beyond what I'd hoped for - even got named as the leagues "overachieving team" in the end of season awards. :cool:

So for this 2nd season I've told the Board to expect a top half finish, they gave me £26m to spend so I made just a few signings that I hope will be key:

Bernardo - £15m (some up front, some over 48 months) from Cruziero. Top quality creative midfielder who play either centrally or on the right.

Jano - £8.5m from Spartak Moscow. Formerly known as Jano Ananidze, another great creative player, can play centrally or on the left.

Ognjen Vukojevic - free, top class defenisve midfielder.

I'm hoping these will add enough to the squad to easily achieve a top half finish.

I still think I need a really, really top striker who can guarantee 20+ goals a season to push for a European spot, although I have a number of promising young strikers none of them are quite the real deal yet. I might look to see if I can find a striker available within my budget come the January window.

Good luck in the League Cup final Nicko!

Well I'm just starting my 2nd season in the Premier League, in the end we managed to finish 11th in my first season in the Premier League which is way beyond what I'd hoped for - even got named as the leagues "overachieving team" in the end of season awards. :cool:

So for this 2nd season I've told the Board to expect a top half finish, they gave me £26m to spend so I made just a few signings that I hope will be key:

Bernardo - £15m (some up front, some over 48 months) from Cruziero. Top quality creative midfielder who play either centrally or on the right.

Jano - £8.5m from Spartak Moscow. Formerly known as Jano Ananidze, another great creative player, can play centrally or on the left.

Ognjen Vukojevic - free, top class defenisve midfielder.

I'm hoping these will add enough to the squad to easily achieve a top half finish.

I still think I need a really, really top striker who can guarantee 20+ goals a season to push for a European spot, although I have a number of promising young strikers none of them are quite the real deal yet. I might look to see if I can find a striker available within my budget come the January window.

Thanks Coen. I'll be interested to see how Bernardo get's on as I've always liked him. The really, really top ST is the "Holy Grail" of FM. I've got Fabbiano and Armani should we go up, but neither are top drawer.

Finally got my Leeds game started on 11.1

Ins:

A Yakubu (Free)

De Merritt (Free)

Goncalvas (Free)

Tamir Cohen (£1.6m over 48 months)

Dabo (Free)

Mingazzini (Free)

Kantelberg (Free)

G Franco (free)

Seamus Coleman (Loan)

Jordi Gomez (Loan)

Outs:

Kilkenny (600k)

Johnson (325k)

Grella (210k)

White (£1.5m)

Currently have - Naylor, Collins, Connolly, Hughes, Bromby, Faye, Somma, Gradel, Robinson & Sam all on the transfer list but nobody showing an interest

Currently playing a 4-3-1-2 formation. Only injuries I have are Snodgrass, Becchio & Paynter

Only played the one game and I beat QPR 4-0 at Home. Franco (2), McCormack & Gomez.

I played an attacking formation at home with Dabo the holding midfielder with Cohen & Howson either side set to attacking. Played Gomez behind the front two as an advanced playmaker since he has creativity of 16. He ran the game. I played Franco & McCormack both as complete forwards. It should have been a lot more than 4-0 to be honest.

I think I will use this tactic away from home but with a few tweaks. Probably have my full backs set to defend as opposed to automiatic & have Howson & Cohen set to support instead of attack. May also use the 'control' team setting instead of attacking.

Just beat Bury on Pens in the League Cup 1st Rnd after it finished 1-1. Drawn Newcastle away in the 2nd Rnd.

Brought in Nile Ranger & Ben Mee on loan to add cover for injuries and due to the fact that these don't need to be registered.

Burnley at home up next in the league

ive only just entered november due to the release of black ops on xbox taking up most of my time top of the league 6pts clear of watford and sheff, milano has been a class act with torrassa been my main striker, I gave lafata time to go home as he wasnt settling, still waiting on him coming back, other than that no problems, lost 1, drawn 2 and won the rest so all is good except the wage budget so ill sell all the tosh in jan if i can and hopefully pull it back then

also andywoods you wont sell the likes of sam,connolly and collins because they only joined in the summer, you will be able to sell them most likely in january, usually you have to play them but I havent done because they are just too poor so i reckon i will have trouble shifting them, same with bruce, bessone, clayton, I'm trying to play paynter before i sell him in the target man role.

faye i released him as he was just costing me 7k for playing in the reserves, unfortunately im probs gunna lose nunez for nothing in jan as I cant offer him a new deal due to my massive overspend on wages

i have to say playing Leeds United in FM 2011 game is awful not matter what formation i use i loose the game i am currently 23rd my manager status is unsecure the players when i use the new teamtalk they improve there morale but dont improve there performances so why or why did i buy FM 2011 can anyone help i wish i could speak to miles jacubson i would ask for a refund

I'd agree with Geesus - with the starting squad playing 4-5-1, Becchio as a lone target man, Snodgrass/Gradel out wide, Howson/Kilkenny/Faye in a 3 man midfield and a few free signings (A Yakubu, DeMerit, Finnan, Ball, Goncalvas, Mingazzini, no doubt others have other good ones they've found) to strengthen the defence and defensive CM should work well enough to at least get a mid table finish in the first season. It's not easy though,the starting defence is particularly poor and definitely needs strengthening but the starting squad has way too many poor players that have only just joined so can't be moved on.

The only other thing I'd say is it's best to set up 1 or 2 formations, put them in as the trained formations in the Match Preparation screen and stick with using them. Changing formations all the time doesnt work unless the squad are familiar with the formation through Match Preparation.

With the starting players I'd suggest a flat 5, gives much more defensive support, and one of the CMs on attack, or if your brave, play Nunez AMC

That'd work as well, the only thing I'd say though is that Snodgrass's best position is played at AMR in an inside forward role, and he's the best attacking player in the starting squad (although he's injured to start with.)

But I absolutely agree that with the starting squad, defensive support from the midfield is essential. Personally I think it's still possible to get away with one of the wide players pushed forward, especially as it makes best use of Snodgrass that way, but I prefer to have the other in the ML position myself as well.

I didn't try Nunez at AMC myself, I preferred to have three CMs and to use him wide left. You'd definitely have to be brave to try it I think.;)

I play Snodgrass on the left wing and he has 5 in 14, which isn't bad I don't think, Nunez isn't performing at AMC at the mo' though, but we're 4th so I'll stick with it, he just needs some confidence back, I'd give Howson a run there as I think he'd be decent but I've decided as Faye is going in Jan might as well start bedding Howson as a ball-winner till I can replace Faye properly. If you pushed Snoddy to ARM and kept the rest flat, I'd think that would work too, basically, if you push both wingers forward IMO you leave your defence to open to attack, and my experience so far suggests a flat 4 with one mid push forward and 1 striker works better than say, an ARM and AML, or a 4-2-3-1, however this may change in the premier league as its a different style of play.

As I said I'm 4th, got 2 or 3 games before Jan, so will try and get them done before uni, want to shift Naylor, Bromby, Sam, Crowe, Bessone, McCourmak, and Higgs, may be more I want rid off but shut game down. I want to bring in an AMC, a ball-winner, a young striker, hopefully Wickham, and a young CB. Any suggestions for the AMC and ball-winner?

Archived